NEVER AGAIN?

Comments

• I think if they were gearing up for a dozen headline shows peoples opinion would be different. Festival shows have never done anything for me. With the exception of the new songs we all pretty much know what songs are going to be played at these 4 upcoming shows. 

I think Pearl Jam's live reputation precedes them at this point. The set lists are nowhere near as varied as the late '90's early 2000's. Anyways I still feel they are one of the best live bands out there. Not that anyone asked but I think Ween is the best live band currently.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    I remember Fenway ‘16 being the same with the hard 10:30 curfew and going on late with people still filling into their seats.
    Night 1 that was the case. Night 2 they blew past the curfew and played until 10:47
    # of songs per shows:

8/5/16: 32
    8/7/16: 35
    9/2/18: 30
    9/4/18: 30

Seven more songs in 2016
    Just checked the site to look at the set lists and strangely enough, besides being completely out of order for me, they count each tag as a separate song for the 2016 shows which they don’t do for the 2018 shows.  So really only two extra songs.
    Lets go a little deeper here. Time on and off the stage. Look at those start times in 2018. Also 2hrs 40 mins both nights. 2016 we got 2hrs 50 mins  and 3hrs 13 mins. Fenway 2 2016 was 33 minutes longer than the 2018 shows. 

Pearl Jam
    Fenway
    Boston, MA
    Aug 05, 2016
    Show One

Walk On Music: Baba O’Riley
    Band Onstage: 7:40
    Band Offstage: 10:30

Pearl Jam
    Fenway
    Boston, MA
    Aug 07, 2016
    Show Two

Walk On Music: Pendulumorphosis 7:33
    Band Onstage:07:34
    Band Offstage:10:47

Pearl Jam
    Fenway Park
    Boston, MA
    Show One
    September 02, 2018
    Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage: 7:56
    Band Offstage: 10:36

Pearl Jam
    Fenway Park
    Boston, MA
    Show Two
    September 04, 2018

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage: 7:50
    Band Offstage: 10:31

Fair point. I just remember feeling that same frustration in 2016, mostly towards the fans that were still filling in.  But I do remember the hype around Fenway ‘18 going into it because, if I remember correctly, the showtime was listed as 6:30 instead of the 7:00 showtime that was listed on all the other ball park shows and people were speculating a monster show.
    It's no longer on their twitter timeline (that I can find at least), but I'm pretty certain they sent out something the afternoon of Fenway 1 in '18 about getting into your seat on time for the show, which only added to the hype. 
    I remember that for 16 for sure. People were hyping an acoustic set to open up too. Can't remember if it was for 18 too or not. 

Since we are all over the place with this topic I would like to add curfews blow. Berlin 18 I was told had a hard curfew and they would not go over it. I do not remember the times on and off or what the curfew was but I do remember everyone getting bummed in the pit knowing the curfew was going to come in play and shorten the set. Of course PJ went past the curfew and all was good but still before the show the anxiety was real.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I remember the curfew thing at Wrigley in '16.   They played past the curfew on night 1.  They must have gotten a talking too, because on night 2 they were were very tight.  At the end of the show it seemed like they were in a bit of rush to finish the set.   This created a rarity (at least in shows I go to) where Night 1 was longer than Night 2.

They had also sent out that email to be in your seats early so everyone lined up a bit earlier for night 2.   We all figured that was to give themselves more breathing room with the setlist, but they still ended up starting at the same time as night 1.

I will say Vancouver 2013 was amazing.  Most of that tour didn't have an opening band, which meant they could do 3 hour sets every night.  The last handful of shows had Mudhoney opening.  I assumed we'd get a shorter set to make up for the opening ban, but PJ proceeded to melt faces and blow through the curfew.   I think the show ended at 12:30am which I believe is the latest I've seen an arena show go in Vancouver (the curfew is 11am). I guess they paid the fine :)

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I have to give them credit for Telluride 2016

That was a very special and not talked about enough show and anyone there will attest to that

Perfect venue and the acoustic set to open was unique and different 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I think if they were gearing up for a dozen headline shows peoples opinion would be different. Festival shows have never done anything for me. With the exception of the new songs we all pretty much know what songs are going to be played at these 4 upcoming shows. 

To each, their own. I saw them a ton between 98-03 and my wife had never seen them until ACL 2009 (we went every year between 07-11). She was blown away and I truly didn't care what they played....just had a blast. 

And here we are again---we haven't seen them since 2013 & our first show back will be Ohana. To say we're excited is an understatement!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    JimmyV said:
    Fenway 2 2016 and Wrigley 2013 were the two best ballpark shows I was at. Seattle 2 2018 is probably third.
    This is actually shocking to me.  I was only at Fenway 2 out of the 3.  Just thought on paper that Seattle would be higher up.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630

That was a very special and not talked about enough show and anyone there will attest to that

Yes!  What a beauty that one was.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
    edited September 2021
    JimmyV said:
    Fenway 2 2016 and Wrigley 2013 were the two best ballpark shows I was at. Seattle 2 2018 is probably third.
    This is actually shocking to me.  I was only at Fenway 2 out of the 3.  Just thought on paper that Seattle would be higher up.  
    Seattle was amazing. Bit too many covers in the end just like Fenway N1 16 for me but still amazing. Fenway N2 16 was another level. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Near 50 shows for me and Fenway 2 2016 is easily top 3 for me. I've never seen my wife have and people around me have more fun at a PJ show in my life.  Just an unbelievably great time and show. Perfect weather. Perfect setlist. Perfect crowd.  
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    PJNB said:
    D-Rod said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    I remember Fenway ‘16 being the same with the hard 10:30 curfew and going on late with people still filling into their seats.
    Night 1 that was the case. Night 2 they blew past the curfew and played until 10:47
    # of songs per shows:

8/5/16: 32
    8/7/16: 35
    9/2/18: 30
    9/4/18: 30

Seven more songs in 2016
    Night two fenway 2016 was one of my favorite shows.  
    Likewise. 

They really did take it to another level that night. 
    It was another level for me. Crowd and the band just came together for a perfect night. 
    Totally agree!
    I also agree with your two agreements 
    Do you have Seattle Night Two at the top Drod or do you have Fenway night 2 ahead of it? Fenway for me. 
    Seattle N2 was the G.O.A.T ,  Fenway was 2nd 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

I wasn't there and only heard part of it on Sirius 22 a couple years ago. Now, I haven't bought a bootleg from a show I've not attended, but if I ever did, this would be the one. What I heard of it was absolutely fantastic! And I thought the same thing then: why isn't everyone talking about this show? In that regard, it reminded me of how nobody talks about Champaign 03 either. 

Unrelated: Fast forward to next Saturday and we're flying out to spend a few days in Telluride/Ouray.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I would love to be able to see PJ live again. Going to see any live music is something to get excited for (otherwise why buy the ticket in the first place?) but there's always something special about PJ. 
    They haven't toured AUS since the beginning of 2014 so it's already been 7 and a half years. Before that I'd flown around the world 4 times to see them (UK to AUS was a happy coincidence, AUS to US, UK to US and AUS to UK were all on purpose).

Having said that... Covid has seriously fucked everything up. I'm in no rush to get on a plane anytime soon, and I definitely wouldn't want to be in a large crowd for any event. I'm fully jabbed up, but that Delta strain is scary shit. Neil Young has already said he won't plan any shows until it is safe for everyone to be there.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

I wasn't there and only heard part of it on Sirius 22 a couple years ago. Now, I haven't bought a bootleg from a show I've not attended, but if I ever did, this would be the one. What I heard of it was absolutely fantastic! And I thought the same thing then: why isn't everyone talking about this show? In that regard, it reminded me of how nobody talks about Champaign 03 either. 

Unrelated: Fast forward to next Saturday and we're flying out to spend a few days in Telluride/Ouray.
    Check out my Deep show review of Champaign 2003! One of the top three of that entire US tour! Also, Telluride 16’ all day long! So fucking good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171

Looks like Fenway’s Twitter is more to blame for the stage time promise in 2018. 10c did add that asterisk after all.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JimmyV said:
    Like most things, it's a matter of taste. I was at both Fenways in '16, both Fenways in '18, and both Seattles in '18.  To me, Seattle 2 is so far ahead of any others it's not even a question. So different people value different things about shows or just have different experiences of the same shows.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    Tickets are not $130+
    $120+ and that was for shows that went onsale before the pandemic. The next time they tour who knows?
    Inflation anyone. My dads house cost $30,000 in 1979. Seriously a Taco Bell taco was $0.49 30 years ago. People that complain about concert prices aren’t paying attention to anything else. $4.25 min wage in 1996 wage is now $12.50. That’s about on pace with $30-$40 concert tickets 
    Still, concert prices have gone up faster than inflation. My PJ ticket in 1998 was $28, 20 years later was 4 times that. That’s way faster than typical inflation. Pretty sure the next few tours were in the $40-$60 range.
    I thought it was pretty accepted that concert prices rose a ton in the early 2000s because of lack of album sales?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    Zod said:
    I remember the curfew thing at Wrigley in '16.   They played past the curfew on night 1.  They must have gotten a talking too, because on night 2 they were were very tight.  At the end of the show it seemed like they were in a bit of rush to finish the set.   This created a rarity (at least in shows I go to) where Night 1 was longer than Night 2.

They had also sent out that email to be in your seats early so everyone lined up a bit earlier for night 2.   We all figured that was to give themselves more breathing room with the setlist, but they still ended up starting at the same time as night 1.

I will say Vancouver 2013 was amazing.  Most of that tour didn't have an opening band, which meant they could do 3 hour sets every night.  The last handful of shows had Mudhoney opening.  I assumed we'd get a shorter set to make up for the opening ban, but PJ proceeded to melt faces and blow through the curfew.   I think the show ended at 12:30am which I believe is the latest I've seen an arena show go in Vancouver (the curfew is 11am). I guess they paid the fine :)

I went to that one, left the baby behind and damn were my nursing boobies sore! Long night!
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

Check out my Deep show review of Champaign 2003! One of the top three of that entire US tour! Also, Telluride 16’ all day long! So fucking good! 
    Great review, Chris! It is really nice to relive some of those moments all these years later. Blood had me losing my mind and Fortunate Son was delivered with precision. Really a great show with so much energy. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:
    igotid88 said:
    Tickets are not $130+
    $120+ and that was for shows that went onsale before the pandemic. The next time they tour who knows?
    Inflation anyone. My dads house cost $30,000 in 1979. Seriously a Taco Bell taco was $0.49 30 years ago. People that complain about concert prices aren’t paying attention to anything else. $4.25 min wage in 1996 wage is now $12.50. That’s about on pace with $30-$40 concert tickets 
    Still, concert prices have gone up faster than inflation. My PJ ticket in 1998 was $28, 20 years later was 4 times that. That’s way faster than typical inflation. Pretty sure the next few tours were in the $40-$60 range.
    I thought it was pretty accepted that concert prices rose a ton in the early 2000s because of lack of album sales?
    Ed did say that
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Hoagie BreathHoagie Breath Philly Yo Posts: 105
    Interesting thread and a good read. This band for me has always been about the live shows. From my very first show in Philly at The Troc in '92 I was hooked. Friend called me up at the last second to go  and I thought I was going to see Stone Temple Pilots lol. When Pearl Jam took the stage I was like,  wait a minute........

In those early days I would always confuse the two bands when hearing them on the radio for whatever reason, don't ask me why, but i did. But after seeing STP I mean PJ  that night lol, I never confused the two again. Was blown away by their raw energy and how good they sounded live. And what really got me was how they seemed to feed off of the crowd. They seemed genuinely happy to be playing in Philly I remember and it turns out that was true. Joined the fan club that night for 5 bucks.

I consider myself extremely lucky that one of my favorite bands is still touring 29 years after seeing them live for the first time and for whatever reason really like the city I was born and raised in and still live in to this day giving me the opportunity to catch them as many times as I have. 50+ shows and counting and I can't wait to see them at HSN this weekend.

I don't really travel outside my 100 mile bubble from South Philly except for Boston (future wife went to college up there) a couple times and Chicago once (same friend that took me to my first show took me to that one in Chicago'05, one g a ticket I think it was for Katrina benefit, pretty good friend huh?) so I don't have to deal with all those extra costs which I'm sure would have cut back on the number of times seeing them. And that Chicago show was right around the time my future wife was now my wife and we made a turn onto that road which lead to her being my ex wife lol. I vividly remember her saying dont you even think about purchasing that plane ticket to Chicago when my friend who just happened to be at some conference out there scored those tickets the morning of the show and called me at 10am and woke me up (was working nights back then) and said to get to Chicao. This just after seeing them like three times in four days or something that week. Lets just say the wife wasn't as big a PJ fan that I was lol.

Don't really care about the political stuff but to be a fan of this band you know thats just part of the package going in and have learned to just tune it out as i do with anything political.

I for one enjoy most of the cover songs, I really do (if anyone from the band is reads this...SUPERNAUGHT from Sabbath ;-)  lol )

As far as ticket prices, they are still a bargain compared to some of my other favorites that still tour ***cough STONES cough*** for example and have always tried to do right by the fans in my opinion. Always put us first.

And with the GA seating now the last few years (God I miss the old lottery when we had seating up front lol...nothing more exiting going to the window to pick up your tickets and BAM! scoring those lottery seats) not a big fan of this but hasn't lowered my excitement about upcoming shows/tours.

I don't even try to nor will I ever understand the people that stand in those merch lines lol. But hey, it doesn't effect my experience at all so if thats what they want to do well yeah......

Pretty sure this will only be my second festival show and not a big fan of festivals probably because I just turned 50, not that i still cant dance and jump around either, im still in shape lol, but just like GA seating, i dont want to have to enter the arena or venue hours early to to claim some spot up front and then have to sit there and wait, and i have to pee a bit more often then when I was 25, cant hold it in that long, i would lose my spot. Fuck all that. plus the fact that I love a good tailgate, thats too much fun to miss out on sitting inside holding on to my spot lol.

But to each his own and like i said this was an interesting thread to read and even better while high AF. So interesting I even even posted in it. Not sure but probably because again Im high AF and like hardly ever smoking pot, I hardly ever post. Lol. Enjoy the show this weekend whether you're there or following it online. You know you will lol

'92 Philly 04.10
    '94 Boston 04.10 
    '95 DC 01.15 
    '96 Columbia 09.24, NYC 09.29, Hartford 10.02
    '98 DC 06.14, Camden 08.28, Camden 08.29, E. Rutherford 09.08, NYC 09.10, NYC 09.11, Hartford 09.13, Columbia 09.18
    '00 Camden 09.01, Camden 09.02, Columbia 09.04
    '03 Philly 04.23, Camden 07.05, Camden 07.06, NYC 07.09, Hershey 07.12, Holmdel 07.14
    '04 Reading 10.01, DC 10.11
    '05 AC 09.30, AC 10.01, Philly 10.03, Chicago 10.05
    '06 NYC 05.05, Camden 05.27, Camden 05.28, DC 05.30, E. Rutherford 06.03
    '08 Camden 06.19, Camden 06.20, DC 06.22, NYC 06.24, NYC 06.25
    '09 Philly 10.27, Philly 10.28, Philly 10.30, Philly 10.31
    '10 Hartford 05.15, Newark 05.18, NYC 05.20, NYC 05.21
    '12 Philly 09.02
    '13 Philly 10.21, Philly 10.22
    '16 Philly 04.28, Philly 04.29
    '18 Boston 09.02
    '21 Asbury Park 09.18
    '22 Camden 09.14

• chittychitty Posts: 574
    Zod said:

Yep they played super late that night in Van and for sure the latest a band has gone at GM Place. It was special.

I was so fortunate this past weekend to be invited to a free concert with some decent canadian bands, Billy Idol and a "surprise headliner," here in Vancouver. Basically the first show in Vancouver since March 2020. We have had very limited non essential events up here. Basically none.

I am going to Ohana fest and was kind of keeping that to be my First show back if that makes sense. So I went to this concert last weekend semi lethargic for reasons everyone has been pointing out on this thread.First song I hear when I walk in the venue from 54-40, a fairly big but older Canadian band, kicks in and I almost cried. 42 year old grown man. Then the other bands came on, and the surprise headliner starts setting up. I thought I could tell who it was, but couldn't actually think it was possible due to covid restrictions and such to have a massive band show up and play this show with 1200 people. Anyways, sure enough my guess was right and out walks Brandon Flowers and the Killers. Imploding the Mirage, if you haven't listened, is phenomenal album and with Gigaton was the two albums I associate with March and April 2020. So if you asked me before that night who I'd want to see first back, it would have been the Killers or PJ. Killers blew my mind for an hour playing non stop straight hits. It was euphoric and out of this world.

Point being, when you get over the lethargic and apprehensive feelings incurred over the last 18 months, maybe some anxiety and fear also of covid, and your favourite band comes on stage to play your favourite songs, those feelings will be gone. Trust me!

Now for ohana and Gigaton songs!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tish said:
    Zod said:

I went to that one, left the baby behind and damn were my nursing boobies sore! Long night!
    Where’s Andy Botwin when you need him?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tish said:
    Zod said:

haha, I remember the days of when my wife was nursing and if we went out too long they'd turn rock hard. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I say
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I say
    There s another glass of wine!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I say
    There s another glass of wine!
    My monocle just dropped out into my merlot
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    schitts creek wtf GIF by CBC
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    haha, sorry for my hand in the derail, folks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

My wife had to pump after the Wrigley 18 show. Was even worse due to the delay. I still remember waiting outside one of the bathrooms after the show while she was in there and the guard came around and told me I had to leave. I explained that my wife was in the bathroom pumping breast milk and he gave the ole eyebrows raised too much info look, spun right around and walked away lol. 

Hopefully she will NEVER AGAIN have to go through that lol. 
  • I have to give them credit for Telluride 2016

Just downloaded that Champaign show off Nugs so I can listen later on. Yes to Telluride the bootleg is fantastic and the set list is like no other on that tour.