Eddie Vedder New Album Earthling

Comments

• Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    friend of mine told me he thinks the track is weak, and that I'm going all in on "dad rock". I googled dad rock, and this is what came up, I shit you not:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dad+rock&source=lmns&bih=1007&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA894CA894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbh5DyivLyAhXKqHIEHalKBnMQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA
    Check out that list of albums though, I would say I’m a huge dad rock fan

https://www.flavorwire.com/447934/20-dad-rock-albums-you-should-learn-to-love
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Hawk123 said:
    friend of mine told me he thinks the track is weak, and that I'm going all in on "dad rock". I googled dad rock, and this is what came up, I shit you not:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dad+rock&source=lmns&bih=1007&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA894CA894&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbh5DyivLyAhXKqHIEHalKBnMQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

it's funny to me that pearl jam is in that list consisting of largely 70's rock icons. I have nearly zero of those albums. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    Hawk123 said:

it's funny to me that pearl jam is in that list consisting of largely 70's rock icons. I have nearly zero of those albums. 
    The National - High Violet is a head scratcher too 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Weren't the Home and Away Show ballcaps described as dad hats or something similar? These guys have definitely become dad rock. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    Weren't the Home and Away Show ballcaps described as dad hats or something similar? These guys have definitely become dad rock. 
    i'm not disputing that, however, what I found odd was the company they were put into. I'd argue those other bands are granddad rock. Dad rock would be classified by age, would it not? because PJ share virtually no similarities to those bands. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The dad part seems fitting. Rock, on the other hand, might be a misnomer.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    it is a Darius Rucker special.  Nothing compelling at all about this track.

• Being that I am a Grandpa, it doesn't hurt my feelings too much.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,315

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

Any band really that's over 40 is going to be considered dad rock. Even Metallica or Nirvana. To me "dad rock" is more Goo Goo Dolls or Train types. Yes PJ has some songs that can be considered that. But as a whole I don't see it
    I miss igotid88
    Would be cool if the song he was doing with Elton was also on this album. Don't think that sort of stuff  happens anymore 
    I miss igotid88
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    RiotAct10 said:
    So is Long Way not a single, but just a track from the upcoming album? The way it is worded from the band seems to suggest that this is just a song he put out, but the actual single is coming soon....
    "Eddie Vedder has released a brand new solo-track “Long Way” from his forthcoming album Earthling...

A limited-edition 7-inch vinyl which features "Long Way" & the soon-to-be released single, "The Haves", is available for pre-order in the shop."

it is interesting wording, for sure. that kind of grabbed me as well. but with everything 10C/the band puts out in their wording, more often than not the dissection leads to nothing. 
    I just noticed they worded it the other way on IG. calling Long Way the single and The Haves a song. Weird.

words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
    igotid88 said:

Any band really that's over 40 is going to be considered dad rock. Even Metallica or Nirvana. To me "dad rock" is more Goo Goo Dolls or Train types. Yes PJ has some songs that can be considered that. But as a whole I don't see it
    yeah, I agree, I wasn't really sure what dad rock meant, which is why I googled it. made me chuckle that a picture of Ed came up first. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I don't know if the same people will play on all the tracks. But if they do you can consider this a supergroup even though it's a solo album. Unless this song is the outlier 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:

Yeah I think the more a word or term gets used the less specific it’s definition becomes. I always considered dad rock to be like another term for adult contemporary.  If it’s just bands that started 30+ years ago where do you draw the line? Are the Sex Pistols and Sonic Youth dad rock?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    igotid88 said:

Yeah I think the more a word or term gets used the less specific it’s definition becomes. I always considered dad rock to be like another term for adult contemporary.  If it’s just bands that started 30+ years ago where do you draw the line? Are the Sex Pistols and Sonic Youth dad rock?
    My 19 year old niece would think so since her dad listened to those bands :)

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,013
    igotid88 said:
    Would be cool if the song he was doing with Elton was also on this album. Don't think that sort of stuff  happens anymore 
    Elton was on Stern show saying

him & Ed did (2) songs together

one for Eltons lockdown album
    one for Eddies solo album
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

Cool!
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

Cool. I'm behind. Still on Tuesday's show
    I miss igotid88
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

wow, interesting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

Elton was on with Miley & Mettalica

mention Andrew Watts house for recording, (2) songs 😎
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:

Elton was on with Miley & Mettalica

mention Andrew Watts house for recording, (2) songs 😎
    Yea I know. Special 12pm show today
    I miss igotid88
    Elton is fuckin nuts, I love it
    edited September 2021
    Man, I hope there's a special Howard episode with Pearl Jam before Sea Hear Now
    I miss igotid88
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I pretty much assumed all or most rock these day's is Dad rock.   The young folk are much less likely to listen to rock these days.    It's not that popular a genre amongst younger age groups.  Ergo the majority of people that listen to rock are older, and in the dad/grandpa age bracket.

Thus most rock is now dad rock, regardless of how heavy or mellow it is.  Metallica is dad metal :)
  • Zod said:
    I pretty much assumed all or most rock these day's is Dad rock.   The young folk are much less likely to listen to rock these days.    It's not that popular a genre amongst younger age groups.  Ergo the majority of people that listen to rock are older, and in the dad/grandpa age bracket.

Thus most rock is now dad rock, regardless of how heavy or mellow it is.  Metallica is dad metal :)
    Give it a few years or so and there will be a bunch of people in nursing homes blasting out Kill Em All from their rooms.
  • Id rather listen to Dad Rock than Kid Rock!... who is probably considered Dad Rock also!  :dizzy:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
    haha kid rock. we call that trash rock. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited September 2021
    I’m so happy to hear this fantastic new song 💕
    I love Eddies unique voice, the worlds best singer in my opinion.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Pretty much anything NOT played on a pop station or in a teens rotation is Dad rock.  64-84 Rolling Stones rocked.  Anything after that was Dad Rock.

Today?  It's all Dad Rock...