NCAA College Football -

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    edited September 2021
    How bout them Dawgs!!  Got back from Charlotte yesterday afternoon.  Great game and atmosphere.  Looking forward to returning to Athens this weekend. 

Side note, I left a Pearl Jam sticker on my seat (as I always do in stadiums/sports venues that I visit). 
    Post edited by JojoRice on
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    JojoRice said:
    How bout them Dawgs!!  Got back from Charlotte yesterday afternoon.  Great game and atmosphere.  Looking forward to returning to Athens this weekend. 

Side note, I left a Pearl Jam sticker on my seat (as I always do in stadiums/sports venues that I visit). 
    Great defense, hard to get a read on the O this early in the year.  Not scoring an offensive TD can be concerning, unless Clemson is literally an all timer of a D.  

Unless there are only three teams with 1 or 0 losses, I don't know how Clemson makes the playoffs.  Their schedule is just awful the rest of the way. 
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

Great defense, hard to get a read on the O this early in the year.  Not scoring an offensive TD can be concerning, unless Clemson is literally an all timer of a D.  

Unless there are only three teams with 1 or 0 losses, I don't know how Clemson makes the playoffs.  Their schedule is just awful the rest of the way. 
    Ya the ACC took a beating this weekend.  I don't see Clemson getting in at all even if they win out.  I think the Dawgs will be fine offensively going forward.  They had their top 2 TE's out and their top 3 WRs out.  Wish they'd run the ball some more.  

JojoRice said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

Ya the ACC took a beating this weekend.  I don't see Clemson getting in at all even if they win out.  I think the Dawgs will be fine offensively going forward.  They had their top 2 TE's out and their top 3 WRs out.  Wish they'd run the ball some more.  
    Oh.. I didn't realize they were down those skill players.  That makes a difference.  
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Good first week.  (First real week)
    As much as I love to hate on Notre Dame, Brian Kelly trying to quote John McKay is awesome on a few levels.
     https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32157718/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-brian-kelly-says-was-joking-attempting-echo-john-mckay-execution-quote

Brian Kelly...good at recruiting and coaching. Needs to recognize his strong suits and stick to them. Joke telling, comedy and humor are not his suits. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited September 2021
    Couple interesting games this week.  Oregon/Ohio St, Iowa/Iowa St.  The Washington/Michigan game would have been more interesting had Washington not laid an egg this past weekend. 

• JojoRice said:
    Couple interesting games this week.  Oregon/Ohio St, Iowa/Iowa St.  The Washington/Michigan game would have been more interesting had Washington not laid an egg this past weekend. 
    I am somewhat surprised that Oregon/Ohio St game is still a noon kickoff. That Iowa/Iowa St game will be the game of the day I think. 
    JojoRice said:
    I am somewhat surprised that Oregon/Ohio St game is still a noon kickoff. That Iowa/Iowa St game will be the game of the day I think. 
    Not sure if it is by design, though I suspect it is. Make a west coast team travel cross country and hit them with a super early game. There is a real advantage in doing that.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    JojoRice said:
    Not sure if it is by design, though I suspect it is. Make a west coast team travel cross country and hit them with a super early game. There is a real advantage in doing that.
    You don't think the networks are a big part of the scheduling? The Washington Michigan game in Ann Arbor is at 8pm.
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:
    You don't think the networks are a big part of the scheduling? The Washington Michigan game in Ann Arbor is at 8pm.
    Oh, I do, but....come on. There has to be something more to it as well. The best chance the B1G has making the CFP is to have OSU making it there undefeated, of course. That said, a 1 loss OSU team still likely makes it in. The team most likely to beat OSU this season based on that schedule is probably Oregon. So you take your toughest opponent and schedule them at noon (local time, 9am their time). That is absolutely an advantage!! And given the way teams look for any edge, there is not a chance that the starting time is not partially intentional for that reason. 
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:
    Oh, I do, but....come on. There has to be something more to it as well. The best chance the B1G has making the CFP is to have OSU making it there undefeated, of course. That said, a 1 loss OSU team still likely makes it in. The team most likely to beat OSU this season based on that schedule is probably Oregon. So you take your toughest opponent and schedule them at noon (local time, 9am their time). That is absolutely an advantage!! And given the way teams look for any edge, there is not a chance that the starting time is not partially intentional for that reason. 
    If you go to Eleven Warriors,  everyone is complaining that it's a noon game and that blunts home field.  Night games are far louder and more difficult for the opposition.  I think you're reading too much into the scheduling. You're basically saying Fox has its thumb on the scale for Ohio state in order for them to make the playoffs.  I'm not that cynical 
  • I was basing my comment more along the lines that typically, they move a game like this to the 3:30 or 7:30 kickoff. Especially if you look at the other games for week 2, there isn't another real marquee game. If you look at Week 3, #11 Penn State vs #25 Auburn is at 7:30, which is were a top 25 out of conference game should be slotted.

There has to be a reason for it, but regardless it will be a great game to watch. 
    I was basing my comment more along the lines that typically, they move a game like this to the 3:30 or 7:30 kickoff. Especially if you look at the other games for week 2, there isn't another real marquee game. If you look at Week 3, #11 Penn State vs #25 Auburn is at 7:30, which is were a top 25 out of conference game should be slotted.

There has to be a reason for it, but regardless it will be a great game to watch. 
    It's because they have Texas A&M at Colorado at 330? They couldn't make that noon.  They don't have a prime time game this week, they have baseball.  That must be a contractual agreement I would guess.  I think once September starts,  they go baseball prime time though the playoffs. 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    edited September 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    I was basing my comment more along the lines that typically, they move a game like this to the 3:30 or 7:30 kickoff. Especially if you look at the other games for week 2, there isn't another real marquee game. If you look at Week 3, #11 Penn State vs #25 Auburn is at 7:30, which is were a top 25 out of conference game should be slotted.

It's because they have Texas A&M at Colorado at 330? They couldn't make that noon.  They don't have a prime time game this week, they have baseball.  That must be a contractual agreement I would guess.  I think once September starts,  they go baseball prime time though the playoffs. 
    I forgot about the baseball angle, good point. 

Edit - I missed it was AT Colorado, my bad. Well, that Texas A&M is likely going to be so bad that it shouldn't be on Fox. 
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    West coast teams get f'd over consistently.  You don't see many eastern teams going west for a 730 start but certainly see things work the other way around much more often with the early ass start.
    The Pac12 specifically screwed itself with regularity, as just another hallmark of their horrible stewardship by the (thankfully) departed commissioner, Larry Scott.  I don't think it is possible to do a worse job.  Total piece of crap.   

I watched part of that Oregon game on Saturday.  They are going to get slammed at the horseshoe. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    JojoRice said:
    I am somewhat surprised that Oregon/Ohio St game is still a noon kickoff. 

The Big 10 loves having their premier games at noon for whatever reason
    Starting times are dictated by the tv networks.  Fox currently has a contract with the Big 10 so they get to decide which game they want to air.  It's a similar deal to what CBS has with the SEC. 

• Ducks came to play. Ohio St's D looks like shit
    Ducks came to play. Ohio St's D looks like shit
    Kerry Coombs needs to be fired today.  He's terrible and has been for two years.  These are all 4 and 5 stars and suddenly we're Oklahoma 
  • mrussel1 said:
    Kerry Coombs needs to be fired today.  He's terrible and has been for two years.  These are all 4 and 5 stars and suddenly we're Oklahoma 
    I just can't believe they can't stop the run. They were gashed last week by Ibrahim and again today. Granted, both pretty good backs but still. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I just can't believe they can't stop the run. They were gashed last week by Ibrahim and again today. Granted, both pretty good backs but still. 
    Embarrassing.  We should never give up 30 plus. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    ummm WTF?? So many questions....

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    #fireHelton 
    The guy is so bad.  I didn't watch any of the game and am happy about that.  

Some surprising results this week!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Good first week.  (First real week)
    As much as I love to hate on Notre Dame, Brian Kelly trying to quote John McKay is awesome on a few levels.
     https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32157718/notre-dame-fighting-irish-coach-brian-kelly-says-was-joking-attempting-echo-john-mckay-execution-quote

No, it’s not.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    ummm WTF?? So many questions....

And pretty much all answered with "because Miami"
    #fireHelton 

Prayers to FSM are finally answered.
    Clay is done.
    Done, done, gone!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    #fireHelton 

Prayers to FSM are finally answered.
    Clay is done.
    Done, done, gone!
    You’re gonna snag Franklin after this season, I bet. 
    Congrats Brett! I'm sad about it, but that's to be expected. Who do you think SC will hire?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    JojoRice said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

I don’t think Clemson is getting in either. Clemson’s offense isn’t looking good at all this year. Even after this week’s blowout, their QB (I can’t spell or pronounce his name) still looked like a struggle and if it was against a rated team it would have been a different story. 
    I think they honestly hope that Donte Williams (CBs coach, lead recruiter, interim head coach) will grab the job and make it his.

I think that the dude from Cincinnati is a natural match with our AD - his former AD.

We will see.  Always interesting.