The Watchmen (band)

2»

Comments

• Can you ask them when they will release their catalogue on vinyl? Particularly McLaren Furnace Room. 
    I think it’s about time a run of 500 to 1000 of those were available 

i gather from conversations i've had with them that they don't think there's enough interest to do that. which i find odd, since ken tizzard (bassist) has released almost all of his solo work on vinyl, and his fan base would be infinitely smaller than the band's. 

i asked on IG if they'll be releasing the serlin/greaves record on vinyl, and *crickets*
    That’s really a shame. They did put out that live record on vinyl.  One is on Discogs and it has some good songs but their catalogue is much deeper than that and some of the reviews on it are unflattering. 

My opinion matters little of course,  but I’d attempt a limited edition RSD (only in Canada) next April for about 300-500 copies of one of the 90s releases.  It may surprise them how many fans would purchase a copy. They could also have some with merch on the website. 

I first saw the Watchmen at University of Lethbridge in the fall of ‘92. They were fantastic. Bought the McLaren Furnace Room CD (or was it a cassette) at the show and played the hell out of it. Mister is probably my favourite song by them. 

Having said all that, I can understand why they might not want to take the financial risk. The Moist RE of Silver hasn’t been exactly flying off the shelves from what I’ve observed, although the cancelled tour may be the main contributor to that. 

ever since they reunited in 2008, I have been BEGGING them to put merch out at their shows. they were not only leaving tons of money on the table, but the fans wanted it. people were still wearing their tattered old shirts from 1996. they saw it as cashing in on their fans. i tried to tell them the fans WANTED it. they finally released a couple things, a grey shirt and a toque, and that was about it. of course they sold out instantly. not sure why they don't capitalize. they don't even sell their cd's at shows. it's bizarre. ken sells his solo stuff and that's it. 

danny put out a 4 song live vinyl of solo songs he performed in a new york club. no promotion. nothing online. i went to a special charity event with just him and joey; an acoustic evening with the two of them. the vinyl was for sale. i lost it. i had no idea it existed. neither did any of my hard core watchmen fan friends. i had him sign it after the show. i'm like "dude, why didn't you promote this?". when people found out about it, he was getting inundated with requests on social media for it. 

i agree with the RSD thing. i think it would go like hotcakes. they put out two songs for download for free on their website that they recorded after they reunited. I kept telling them "put those two on a 7"; people will love it". nope. those songs aren't even available on their site anymore. they also released a few shows for digital download for free. one was a complete acoustic set they did at an australian bar. another was an album show they did for Silent Radar at the Horseshoe in toronto. 

again, so much cash left on the table with these guys. 
    It’s unfortunate. Maybe they don’t realize how popular vinyl has become? Maybe they just underestimate their own popularity. 
    Great band.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited November 2020
    Can you ask them when they will release their catalogue on vinyl? Particularly McLaren Furnace Room. 
    I think it’s about time a run of 500 to 1000 of those were available 

i gather from conversations i've had with them that they don't think there's enough interest to do that. which i find odd, since ken tizzard (bassist) has released almost all of his solo work on vinyl, and his fan base would be infinitely smaller than the band's. 

i asked on IG if they'll be releasing the serlin/greaves record on vinyl, and *crickets*
    That’s really a shame. They did put out that live record on vinyl.  One is on Discogs and it has some good songs but their catalogue is much deeper than that and some of the reviews on it are unflattering. 

My opinion matters little of course,  but I’d attempt a limited edition RSD (only in Canada) next April for about 300-500 copies of one of the 90s releases.  It may surprise them how many fans would purchase a copy. They could also have some with merch on the website. 

I first saw the Watchmen at University of Lethbridge in the fall of ‘92. They were fantastic. Bought the McLaren Furnace Room CD (or was it a cassette) at the show and played the hell out of it. Mister is probably my favourite song by them. 

Having said all that, I can understand why they might not want to take the financial risk. The Moist RE of Silver hasn’t been exactly flying off the shelves from what I’ve observed, although the cancelled tour may be the main contributor to that. 

ever since they reunited in 2008, I have been BEGGING them to put merch out at their shows. they were not only leaving tons of money on the table, but the fans wanted it. people were still wearing their tattered old shirts from 1996. they saw it as cashing in on their fans. i tried to tell them the fans WANTED it. they finally released a couple things, a grey shirt and a toque, and that was about it. of course they sold out instantly. not sure why they don't capitalize. they don't even sell their cd's at shows. it's bizarre. ken sells his solo stuff and that's it. 

danny put out a 4 song live vinyl of solo songs he performed in a new york club. no promotion. nothing online. i went to a special charity event with just him and joey; an acoustic evening with the two of them. the vinyl was for sale. i lost it. i had no idea it existed. neither did any of my hard core watchmen fan friends. i had him sign it after the show. i'm like "dude, why didn't you promote this?". when people found out about it, he was getting inundated with requests on social media for it. 

i agree with the RSD thing. i think it would go like hotcakes. they put out two songs for download for free on their website that they recorded after they reunited. I kept telling them "put those two on a 7"; people will love it". nope. those songs aren't even available on their site anymore. they also released a few shows for digital download for free. one was a complete acoustic set they did at an australian bar. another was an album show they did for Silent Radar at the Horseshoe in toronto. 

again, so much cash left on the table with these guys. 
    It’s unfortunate. Maybe they don’t realize how popular vinyl has become? Maybe they just underestimate their own popularity. 
    Great band.

either that or their management knows way more about the music industry than I do. which obviously is the case. I'm just a fanboy that will buy anything. The average music fan? not so much. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I think financially it might be a gamble for them and their not willing to bet on it. Sure, some vinyl will sell, but how much?

• That’s why I suggested the small run for RSD
    or they could do what the headstones did. pledgemusic (which went out of business, but there are others)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Well if your a Canadian band not named “the Hip” I think there is hesitation on these things.
    im a huge I Mother Earth fan and I’ve been waiting for their album Scenery and Fish to get a vinyl release for a long time. They said it was coming and in the works for a few years now. Nothing.
    I do like the pledge music idea though. Let the fans fund the project and if it works great, if not, just send refunds.
    Well if your a Canadian band not named “the Hip” I think there is hesitation on these things.
    im a huge I Mother Earth fan and I’ve been waiting for their album Scenery and Fish to get a vinyl release for a long time. They said it was coming and in the works for a few years now. Nothing.
    I do like the pledge music idea though. Let the fans fund the project and if it works great, if not, just send refunds.
    yeah, when i used to be on facebook I used to see Jag post all the time about that vinyl coming. still nothing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2020
    There are plenty of Canadian bands with records on vinyl besides the Hip from the same era. OLP, Sloan, Tea Party, 54-40, Big Wreck, Moist, Eric’s Trip and on and on and on.     
    As far as IME, they would do fine as well although I wouldn’t personally be interested in adding it to my collection (similar to OLP the first album showed promise but it just isn’t my cup of tea after that)
    I’m waiting on the Watchmen and Doughboys in particular. Wonder if Junkhouse is available on vinyl? Off to check Discogs! 

EDIT - Nope. Strays is only on CD. I may just have to break down and buy a CD player for my HiFi system to listen to some of these acts. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Don’t forget Big Sugar just released Hemi Vision on Vinyl
    i get what your saying but there are lots of classic Canadian 90s albums that don’t have a vinyl issue
    OLP, Sloan and The Tea Party have a big enough fan base to do it and have remained actively touring. 
  • the Watchmen have toured fairly recently.  There is no way Eric’s Trip had a bigger fan base than the Watchmen. 
    Love Tara is a great album and I own it, but they never got any airplay on MuchMusic. 

Anyways, the reasons they have for not putting out wax is their own. I think it’s a mistake. I’d buy the entire discography in one shot. 
    There it is! A run of 500 complete vinyl box sets. Boom! 
    Don’t forget Big Sugar just released Hemi Vision on Vinyl
    i get what your saying but there are lots of classic Canadian 90s albums that don’t have a vinyl issue
    OLP, Sloan and The Tea Party have a big enough fan base to do it and have remained actively touring. 
    you're right, but they could do a run of 500 limited vinyl on a pre order basis with no problem. i guarantee it would sell out in seconds. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

There are plenty of Canadian bands with records on vinyl besides the Hip from the same era. OLP, Sloan, Tea Party, 54-40, Big Wreck, Moist, Eric’s Trip and on and on and on.     
    As far as IME, they would do fine as well although I wouldn’t personally be interested in adding it to my collection (similar to OLP the first album showed promise but it just isn’t my cup of tea after that)
    I’m waiting on the Watchmen and Doughboys in particular. Wonder if Junkhouse is available on vinyl? Off to check Discogs! 

EDIT - Nope. Strays is only on CD. I may just have to break down and buy a CD player for my HiFi system to listen to some of these acts. 
    you a junkhouse fan? about a year ago i snagged their demo cassette off discogs for an absurd amount of money. i convereted it to mp3 (albeit, at this time, two long single files). if you want them, pm me. i can send them to you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• What a cool collectors item. 
    The Watchmen's Danny Greaves (vocals) and Joey Serlin (guitar) have joined up for a duo project called Serlin Greaves. Fist single Teenage Heart out tomorrow. Full album out May 28. Vinyl pre-order info to come.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Serlin Greaves vinyl pre-order of album Sad Songs For Sale up on their site www.serlingreaves.com; first 50 copies are signed (probably already all gone). new song Seasick up on streamings, shirts and hats also on the site. you can bundle for a discount. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my goodness. I'm listening to this new record now (out today), and Love You Less is legit making me tear up. I hear Ed solo all over this song. But with Danny's unmistakably awesome vocals. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    I'm glad I checked this Other Music thread the other day..... this Serlin Greaves album is quite good. Greaves does have a great voice. The last album I got from them was late nineties - a double album, if I recall correctly, with some electronic remixes in there.
    BF89905 said:
    I'm glad I checked this Other Music thread the other day..... this Serlin Greaves album is quite good. Greaves does have a great voice. The last album I got from them was late nineties - a double album, if I recall correctly, with some electronic remixes in there.
    that was their last record as a band; the drummer quit because the band wanted him to learn electronic drums and keyboards etc, and the second disc in that album is a greatest hits.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Picked up the Serlin Greaves record a few weeks ago. Really good. Spinning it for the second time right now. 
    Silent Radar super deluxe (digital only-BOOOO) comes out April 14. full album, as well as b sides and live tracks, and a "lost album" of demos. 46 tracks for $11.99 on iTunes. or stream it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    This bands complete reluctance to release their catalogue on vinyl is frustrating and baffling all at the same time. 
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Cool, this sounds awesome!
    This bands complete reluctance to release their catalogue on vinyl is frustrating and baffling all at the same time. 
    the masters were all destroyed in the UMG warehouse fire in 2008. all that is left is likely what Sammy has in his own personal archives. I think most of this release is from his stuff. 

mind you, even if they had the masters, they probably wouldn't bother. Danny and Joey seem content with current/future state. I have asked Ken about releasing the Audio Playground High + Wide stuff (his and Danny's electronica-style side project) on vinyl, and he said "in the works!" but that was like 3 years ago. 

if there's one thing that kind of bugs me, is that this band doesn't seem to take their live shows as seriously as they used to. They do rehearse, but it's clear they are now just doing it for the fun/the cash. sometimes danny will flub lyrics and just laugh, where he used to get upset at himself for screwing up, they'll tell inside jokes on stage, stuff like that. it's more like watching them jamming in a room now than performing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well I was wrong about the archives thing. I just listened to a podcast with Sammy (drummer) and he said he got in touch with someone at UMG who digitized all the tracks for them. weird. the band had previously said all their masters were destroyed in that fire in LA. 

the podcaster asked Sammy if they have more reissues in the future, and he said "the vault is getting a bit dry" and that there are "no plans". I can't imagine them doing anything with Brand New Day (commercial failure-and the band barely plays any of those songs live anymore-plus its 25th anniversary was two years ago lol) or Slomotion (which Sammy has called "a bunch of demos" because he had left the band prior to it being recorded). So I'm guessing this is it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Oct 21, Club Regent Winnipeg. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD