Options

The Watchmen (band)

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited September 2013 in Other Music
This is one of my favourite bands. They just happen to be from my home, Winnipeg Manitoba. Daniel Greaves' voice is just encapsulating. Ian Thornley of Big Wreck/Thornley has repeatedly said Danny has the best voice in rock. Joey Serlin's guitar work and writing ability are awesome. They broke up back in early 2000, but they got back together for one gig, and the demand was so high,they've re-booted and have released a couple new songs and are touring. I urge you to see them if you can. They have several albums, and were one of the bigger bands in Canada in the 90's. And for good reason.

McLarenFurnaceRoom (1992) named after their rehearsal space in the basement of a hotel
In The Trees (1994) arguably their best and absolutely their breakthrough album
Brand New Day (1996)
Silent Radar (1998)
Slomotion (2001) this is a double disc-one disc is a greatest hits (Rewind) and the other is the new album (Fast Forward)-cool trivia-when it came out, it cost me $9.99 AND the receipt was good for one free ticket to their next live show!!!
Last Road Trip Download series (2003) you can download soundboard shows of their farewell tour

If you really dig Danny Greaves, also check out Doctor. It was his next project after The Watchmen, with bassist Rob Higgins, who is now with Dearly Beloved, who are also worth checking out (I happened to catch them opening for Juliette Lewis and they rocked the house).
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I was a big fan in the 90's (saw them open for PJ at Mudfest and almost got my necked stepped on in the pit) but have fallen off over the years. Thanks for the update I'll check them out again.
  • Options
    I was a big fan in the 90's (saw them open for PJ at Mudfest and almost got my necked stepped on in the pit) but have fallen off over the years. Thanks for the update I'll check them out again.

I forgot to mention that they've released two new songs, Miss Monday Morning and Trampoline, both for FREE DOWNLOAD on their website.

Mudfest was f**king awesome. I miss those days..........
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:

I forgot to mention that they've released two new songs, Miss Monday Morning and Trampoline, both for FREE DOWNLOAD on their website.

Mudfest was f**king awesome. I miss those days..........

It was! It's what sparked my little habit. Wasn't a fan till that night.
  • Options
    bump. check em out.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    lead singer said last night at the show in Winnipeg that he has a solo album coming out at some point. although, he also said that at a solo show back in 2006, so we'll see.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I remember having the video for Cracked (think that was the title?) on VHS back in the day and thinking they were a pretty decent band…that one single spoiled me on them quite a bit tho (Is it called Stereo? My life is a stereo…)…the lyrics to that song just…I dunno…don’t do much for me.
    They recorded that album at Studio Litho, did they not?
    The guy does have a pretty good voice tho, and I know radio singles are rarely the best songs on any given album, so I'd appreciate any song recommendations you may have....?
  • Options
    so I'd appreciate any song recommendations you may have....?

yeah, Stereo was never one of my favourites. Here's a few:

All Uncovered:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr_UlE4zYF4&feature=related

Boneyard Tree:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blh5mTzFNAY&feature=related

Brighter Hell:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYg2PlQmvc&feature=related

and one of my faves, I'm Blind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfmUnO95F2Q
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Absolutely Anytime (good song, but the backing vox by the guitarist always ruin this one live)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsQzTxXiV4&feature=related
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    not the Watchmen, but one of the best bands to come out of Winnipeg, The New Meanies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdHOOMny68g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5fr5lSZXE&feature=related
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    they have a free download on their website. they played an all acoustic set in an Australian hotel. download the entire show with artwork for free.

http://www.the-watchmen.com/media.html
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Bogey ManBogey Man Newfoundland Posts: 118
    Downloaded this Saturday. Awesome show.
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec 5/05/2016
    Ottawa 5/08/2016
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    apparently Jeff Ament is a fan. They recorded one of their albums at Stone's studio, and they played a show in Seattle and Jeff came and checked them out. He was apparently impressed.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BGuMBJnKM

A song from their first demo tape.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for reminding me about them. I remember liking Boneyard Tree a a lot and yes, I also like My Life is a Stereo. So there :wink:

Paulonious, do you like Big Sugar? They're touring in a couple of months; I've got tickets to see them in Vancouver in March.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I was a casual fan of Big Sugar back in the 90's, now not so much. while I like blues-influenced bands, I'm not a big fan of blues bands themselves.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Watchmen just announced a Winnipeg show for March 21st at the Burton Cummings Theatre. Awesome.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I managed to worm my way into soundcheck and meet and greet for this show. Had never been to one before of any band. It was an experience I shall not soon forget. It was incredible. As was the show. What a day that was. So glad I got to do that. And, I didn't know this at the time, apparently this might be their last Winnipeg show ever.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

lead singer said last night at the show in Winnipeg that he has a solo album coming out at some point. although, he also said that at a solo show back in 2006, so we'll see.

I asked him Saturday afternoon when his solo album was coming out. He laughed and said "I don't know....2012?". he said it's a long work in progress, tinkering here and there when he has time, so he doesn't know when/if it will ever see the light of day.

he also sang both national anthems at the Winnipeg Jet game last Saturday (he rushed from band soundcheck to NHL soundcheck back to the show).

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    anyone have the fan club cd Beach Tunes? I'm ISO it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Watchmen coming back to Winnipeg in March 2016 to perform and record a live album to be released that spring. AWESOME.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FRONT FUCKING ROW BABY! NEVER IN MY LIFE HAS THAT HAPPENED! SO EXCITED!!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Congrats Hugh. They do not appear to be playing anywhere within 2 provinces of me, or I'd be there, too.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    one week away. can't wait.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    danny and joey are releasing an album under Serlin/Greaves. they've been playing snippets here and there on social media. i keep asking when it's going to come out...so far no response. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    cool 
  • Options
    Can you ask them when they will release their catalogue on vinyl? Particularly McLaren Furnace Room. 
    I think it’s about time a run of 500 to 1000 of those were available 

• Options
    Can you ask them when they will release their catalogue on vinyl? Particularly McLaren Furnace Room. 

i gather from conversations i've had with them that they don't think there's enough interest to do that. which i find odd, since ken tizzard (bassist) has released almost all of his solo work on vinyl, and his fan base would be infinitely smaller than the band's. 

i asked on IG if they'll be releasing the serlin/greaves record on vinyl, and *crickets*
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

i gather from conversations i've had with them that they don't think there's enough interest to do that. which i find odd, since ken tizzard (bassist) has released almost all of his solo work on vinyl, and his fan base would be infinitely smaller than the band's. 

i asked on IG if they'll be releasing the serlin/greaves record on vinyl, and *crickets*
    That’s really a shame. They did put out that live record on vinyl.  One is on Discogs and it has some good songs but their catalogue is much deeper than that and some of the reviews on it are unflattering. 

My opinion matters little of course,  but I’d attempt a limited edition RSD (only in Canada) next April for about 300-500 copies of one of the 90s releases.  It may surprise them how many fans would purchase a copy. They could also have some with merch on the website. 

I first saw the Watchmen at University of Lethbridge in the fall of ‘92. They were fantastic. Bought the McLaren Furnace Room CD (or was it a cassette) at the show and played the hell out of it. Mister is probably my favourite song by them. 

Having said all that, I can understand why they might not want to take the financial risk. The Moist RE of Silver hasn’t been exactly flying off the shelves from what I’ve observed, although the cancelled tour may be the main contributor to that. 

• Options

That’s really a shame. They did put out that live record on vinyl.  One is on Discogs and it has some good songs but their catalogue is much deeper than that and some of the reviews on it are unflattering. 

My opinion matters little of course,  but I’d attempt a limited edition RSD (only in Canada) next April for about 300-500 copies of one of the 90s releases.  It may surprise them how many fans would purchase a copy. They could also have some with merch on the website. 

I first saw the Watchmen at University of Lethbridge in the fall of ‘92. They were fantastic. Bought the McLaren Furnace Room CD (or was it a cassette) at the show and played the hell out of it. Mister is probably my favourite song by them. 

Having said all that, I can understand why they might not want to take the financial risk. The Moist RE of Silver hasn’t been exactly flying off the shelves from what I’ve observed, although the cancelled tour may be the main contributor to that. 

ever since they reunited in 2008, I have been BEGGING them to put merch out at their shows. they were not only leaving tons of money on the table, but the fans wanted it. people were still wearing their tattered old shirts from 1996. they saw it as cashing in on their fans. i tried to tell them the fans WANTED it. they finally released a couple things, a grey shirt and a toque, and that was about it. of course they sold out instantly. not sure why they don't capitalize. they don't even sell their cd's at shows. it's bizarre. ken sells his solo stuff and that's it. 

danny put out a 4 song live vinyl of solo songs he performed in a new york club. no promotion. nothing online. i went to a special charity event with just him and joey; an acoustic evening with the two of them. the vinyl was for sale. i lost it. i had no idea it existed. neither did any of my hard core watchmen fan friends. i had him sign it after the show. i'm like "dude, why didn't you promote this?". when people found out about it, he was getting inundated with requests on social media for it. 

i agree with the RSD thing. i think it would go like hotcakes. they put out two songs for download for free on their website that they recorded after they reunited. I kept telling them "put those two on a 7"; people will love it". nope. those songs aren't even available on their site anymore. they also released a few shows for digital download for free. one was a complete acoustic set they did at an australian bar. another was an album show they did for Silent Radar at the Horseshoe in toronto. 

again, so much cash left on the table with these guys. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com