The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Bump this thread back up.

Nice to see Tony Finau finally win a tournament.  Women’s Open was a good one on Sunday.  Wish we had more Sunday morning golf like the Open and the Masters a few years ago.

I am starting to watch a lot of YouTube golf channels and people playing different courses. Full on addicted.  Played 30 rounds in July.  Some people don’t look forward to retirement.  I do if I can play 30 rounds in a month again.
    YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Nice to see Finau finally get that 2nd win.  I bet him at 12 to 1 before the final round started yesterday so had a nice little payday.  Dude was lights out on the back 9.  Guessing he just put himself on the Ryder Cup team with that performance...
    Listened to the first 30 minutes of No Laying Up this morning and it didn't disappoint knowing the Finau debates over the years
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Nice to see Tony Finau finally win a tournament.  Women’s Open was a good one on Sunday.  Wish we had more Sunday morning golf like the Open and the Masters a few years ago.

I am starting to watch a lot of YouTube golf channels and people playing different courses. Full on addicted.  Played 30 rounds in July.  Some people don’t look forward to retirement.  I do if I can play 30 rounds in a month again.
    YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    Handicap went from 10.5 to 14.0.  Did not get better.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    Interesting. I find that when I play frequently, I don't play all that well. But when I haven't been out in a month and a half, and I expect to suck, I usually play pretty well. Strange. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    Haha. Damn. The tough courses would be accounted for in the slope and rating. Is that a basic handicap or a true index?
    mrussel1 said:

YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    Haha. Damn. The tough courses would be accounted for in the slope and rating. Is that a basic handicap or a true index?
    It would be the true index.  Tougher courses definitely did a number.  Going from mid80’s to rounds at 100 at tougher courses (and poor play) really hurt it.  I think I need to practice some versus just trying to fix things on the course when they go haywire.  

Have three 83’s though in my last five rounds.  Irons are much better.   
    mrussel1 said:

YOU ARE AN ANIMAL!
    It would be the true index.  Tougher courses definitely did a number.  Going from mid80’s to rounds at 100 at tougher courses (and poor play) really hurt it.  I think I need to practice some versus just trying to fix things on the course when they go haywire.  

Have three 83’s though in my last five rounds.  Irons are much better.   
    Another 83 today.  I really hope there is a sub-80 round in my future.  
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    This just in: Bandon Dunes, would recommend.  First time there.  We got perfect weather.

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    It is the greatest fucking place on the planet.   Just enjoy it!  Don’t worry about the score.
    edited August 2021
    Looks like Sheep Ranch in the first picture.  I want to say #6 on Bandon Dunes on the second photo.  Trails #3?  Wait, that is probably the Preserve.

where are you staying?  Where did you fly into?  I was there in July and heading back Christmas Day.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    1) Sheep Ranch hole 17 from behind the green
    2) Pacific Dunes hole 11
    3) Bandon Trails hole 2
    Flew into Portland.  Got in a round at Portland Golf Club, which has some massive trees, hills, and extremely fast, sloping greens.

Awesome.  Tough to rank the courses but if I had to:

Bandon Dunes (#16 is just a great golf hole)
    Sheep Ranch
    Trails
    Pacific
    Old Mac

To me Pac Dunes and Bandon are very similar. 
    I liked Pac Dunes the best.  It is so intricate, detailed, tricky, difficult and beautiful.  I could play it 50 times and still notice/appreciate new features.  I expected to like Sheep more.  It has the widest sweeping ocean views of any of the courses, which is awesome.  But several holes were a bit bland and straightforward.  The lack of bunkers may contribute to this.  Plus the greens were a bad combination of brick hard, and unputtably slow.  About 4 feet slower on the stimp than the greens on Bandon Dunes the same day.
    Yeah, the greens will take some time to break in at Sheep Ranch.  Heard that the ground is less sandy and much windier there.   I like that it is an easier walk and easier course.  

All those courses are great.  

Shot a 78 this morning.  Second time in the 70’s.  Stoked.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    That was incredible.  Cantlay is a straight up killer.  And Bryson is still a huge douchebag.  
    And Brooks is nowhere in the conversation except for Twitter.  
    And Brooks is nowhere in the conversation except for Twitter.  
    That's why I like hating them both.  The worst is his stupid yardage book.. B.A.D.  typical..
    edited August 2021
    I was at the BMW on Saturday and Sunday. Great time. On Saturday at the number 11 tee, Bryson, Rahm, and Cantlay walked right past me to get to the tee. Cantlay looked like he was about to die of heat exhaustion (it was outrageously hot out). He was just dragging ass. I would’ve bet the farm he was gonna fall down the leaderboard. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Throughout the gallery, there was little confidence in Bryson making those would-be winning putts. You can hear people murmuring that he was gonna miss each time. 

Great time. First PGA tournament. Getting out of there after the playoff was hell, but that happens at events sometimes. 

Got a good video of some vintage Mickelson from the bunker. Followed him most of Saturday…

https://imgur.com/a/kK8pWVa
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I was at the BMW on Saturday and Sunday. Great time. On Saturday at the number 11 tee, Bryson, Rahm, and Cantlay walked right past me to get to the tee. Cantlay looked like he was about to die of heat exhaustion (it was outrageously hot out). He was just dragging ass. I would’ve bet the farm he was gonna fall down the leaderboard. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Throughout the gallery, there was little confidence in Bryson making those would-be winning putts. You can hear people murmuring that he was gonna miss each time. 

Great time. First PGA tournament. Getting out of there after the playoff was hell, but that happens at events sometimes. 

Got a good video of some vintage Mickelson from the bunker. Followed him most of Saturday…

https://imgur.com/a/kK8pWVa
    That's awesome. We thought about going but had some family stuff that wouldn't allow it.  Looked like a good time. Professional golf in person is tough to beat. 
    The BMW is an awesome tournament.  Have been a couple times when they have it in Chicago area and they do a great job....still not sure why that isn't in Chicago every year but that's a whole different discussion about the PGA schedule.  

Bryson just can't make a big putt. And Cantlay is like a robot.  Bryson telling him to stop walking on the 14th definitely pissed him off.  
    That is awesome you got to be there for that.  One of the best finishes of all time.
    Yeah it was a lot of fun. At one point on Saturday, “Bones” McKay (Phil’s former caddie turned commentator) walked by me on #4 with Rory’s group. There was no one around except me and my friend so I said “Hey Bones, is someone gonna get to 30-under?” and he said “It’ll be Cantlay if anyone.” I mentioned before how exhausted Cantlay looked on the 11th tee and I joked at the time about how off Bones was on that one. Nope, as always, I was off. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I'm at the point now where I enjoy watching Bryson lose like that almost as much as I enjoy watching the Cowboys lose. Bryson is an enormous douchebag and I hate him, but he's good for golf. The sport needed a villain people enjoy rooting against. Gonna be a little weird at the Ryder Cup I guess...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm at the point now where I enjoy watching Bryson lose like that almost as much as I enjoy watching the Cowboys lose. Bryson is an enormous douchebag and I hate him, but he's good for golf. The sport needed a villain people enjoy rooting against. Gonna be a little weird at the Ryder Cup I guess...

He is the pits, but he is good for golf
    The BMW is an awesome tournament.  Have been a couple times when they have it in Chicago area and they do a great job....still not sure why that isn't in Chicago every year but that's a whole different discussion about the PGA schedule.  

Bryson just can't make a big putt. And Cantlay is like a robot.  Bryson telling him to stop walking on the 14th definitely pissed him off.  
    I played Dubsdread/Cog Hill right after one of the tournaments.  I recall that being very difficult course.  I was playing like shit at the time though.

I was in Chicago last week and played Ravinia Green Country Club, River Forest CC (Elmhurst) and a public called Traditions at Chevy Chase.  That was for a scramble and we tore that place up at -14.  The two country clubs were old school layouts, but very nice condition. 
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I played Dubsdread/Cog Hill right after one of the tournaments.  I recall that being very difficult course.  I was playing like shit at the time though.

I was in Chicago last week and played Ravinia Green Country Club, River Forest CC (Elmhurst) and a public called Traditions at Chevy Chase.  That was for a scramble and we tore that place up at -14.  The two country clubs were old school layouts, but very nice condition. 
    Played Dubsdred in July.  It is a tough course.  All of the greens are elevated and surrounded by bunkers.  If you miss the green it is likely to funnel into the bunker as well.  I really enjoyed it.

The story I heard on why the PGA hasn’t gone back is that the players complained about Rees Jones’ renovations. Specifically Phil Mickelson.  
    mrussel1 said:

Played Dubsdred in July.  It is a tough course.  All of the greens are elevated and surrounded by bunkers.  If you miss the green it is likely to funnel into the bunker as well.  I really enjoyed it.

The story I heard on why the PGA hasn’t gone back is that the players complained about Rees Jones’ renovations. Specifically Phil Mickelson.  
    Yes, that's exactly what I remember.  Although my club here in Richmond is sort of the same.  It's a Palmer design, but everything is elevated and a miss can be catastrophic, especially with how fast the greens are.  The pins are never in the center so if you're short side bunker, be happy with your bogey.  Don't get cute. 
    Many of the redesigned greens at Dubs are 4-leaf clover shaped, with each "leaf" representing a section.  And some of the sections are only 8 paces deep.  If you miss the "leaf" you are in a deep sand pit.  So you end up having no choice but to aim for the center of the green.  Which isn't very fun or exciting.  Phil had much the same criticism of Rees' work at Torrey Pines.  Small, severe, sectioning of many greens.  If even the best iron players know it's dumb to aim at flags, everyone just ends up playing to the same safe spot, and you're not really separating players.
    ddeschler said:
    Many of the redesigned greens at Dubs are 4-leaf clover shaped, with each "leaf" representing a section.  And some of the sections are only 8 paces deep.  If you miss the "leaf" you are in a deep sand pit.  So you end up having no choice but to aim for the center of the green.  Which isn't very fun or exciting.  Phil had much the same criticism of Rees' work at Torrey Pines.  Small, severe, sectioning of many greens.  If even the best iron players know it's dumb to aim at flags, everyone just ends up playing to the same safe spot, and you're not really separating players.
    I wonder what Tiger’s attitude would be about it. 
    mrussel1 said:

Fancy courses for you!  So many old school country clubs in the area.  Haven't played either of those country clubs but I play at Chevy Chase 2-3 times a year.  Very nice course.