Jan 6 Select Committee

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    they are trying to draw a parallel between 1/6 and the George Floyd/BLM protests/riots/movement. It's smart, because it's going to work, as disgusting as it is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    they are trying to draw a parallel between 1/6 and the George Floyd/BLM protests/riots/movement. It's smart, because it's going to work, as disgusting as it is. 
    Ridiculous that anyone thinks the 2 are comparable. A wave of riots/protests in response to yet another unjust police killing of a black man being emotionlessly suffocated by a white cop in the middle of the street for 9 minutes and a bunch of MAGA morons storming the capitol because a giant orange turd and his bile oozing attorney publicly whined for months about unsubstantiated election irregularities are definitely similar. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    Ridiculous that anyone thinks the 2 are comparable. A wave of riots/protests in response to yet another unjust police killing of a black man being emotionlessly suffocated by a white cop in the middle of the street for 9 minutes and a bunch of MAGA morons storming the capitol because a giant orange turd and his bile oozing attorney publicly whined for months about unsubstantiated election irregularities are definitely similar. 
    I agree. but that's just how it appeared to me when I saw that RNC figurehead (can't recall her name) on fox news saying "we need to look at political violence as a whole". that to me was the signal that they are conflating the two. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    For GOP, ‘back the blue’ doesn’t matter when there’s an election to be won

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    tbergs said:
    The 2 are comparable IMO. They are both chaos and anarchy that didn't need to happen but were allowed to happen. The BLM riots cost between $1-$2 billion dollars worth of damage. They say about 25 people died as a direct result of these riots.

The damage done to the capital cost $1-$2 million. 5 people died in the riots but 4 of the 5 were health related issues so really only 1 was killed because of the capitol riots.

What is the definition of an insurrection? "a violent uprising against an authority or government." Wasn't this also the purpose of the BLM riots?

These are not the exact same situations but in the end both were "a violent uprising against an authority or government." The definition of a terrorist is "a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

One big difference is that the BLM riots were allowed to happen for many months without being stopped or much accountability which is a big reason why what happened at the capitol went down like it did. I would assume many of the crazy people at the Capitol felt like BLM was allowed to run a muck all year so now it was their turn to do the same.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Both of these groups chose the wrong way. I do believe that both of these events are comparable but I do not believe that 2 wrongs make a right and neither should've happened. One does not justify the other. There were both good and bad people at both the Capitol riots and the BLM riots. Not all of these people are "terrorists" but in both groups, some were.

Who remembers during the BLM riots when they attacked the White House? The people that protected the Capitol are considered heroes yet the people that protected the White House during a riot were not considered heroes. They both put their lives on the line to protect. Both groups were violently attacked and injured over political BS.

Where was the select committee when democracy was attacked at the White House? How many of the people that attacked the White House were thrown in jail for months with no opportunity for bail? Was the FBI releasing photo and video from the White House attack to ask for help in identifying all of the assailants?

Those who broke the law need to be held accountable for their actions whether it was the BLM Riots or the Capitol Riots. In both instances, there were law abiding people and those who took it way too far which could be considered as terrorists. It is not right to generalize either as a whole.
    mickeyrat said:
    For GOP, ‘back the blue’ doesn’t matter when there’s an election to be won

That's like saying all Democrats hate the police. Generalizing groups of people is a dangerous thing to do. Do you want to recover as a country or do you want to continue to be part of the divide? The GOP is guilty of this too but this country will never recover when everybody generalizes everyone else. It starts with each of us as individuals.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:
    The 2 are comparable IMO. They are both chaos and anarchy that didn't need to happen but were allowed to happen. The BLM riots cost between $1-$2 billion dollars worth of damage. They say about 25 people died as a direct result of these riots.

The damage done to the capital cost $1-$2 million. 5 people died in the riots but 4 of the 5 were health related issues so really only 1 was killed because of the capitol riots.

What is the definition of an insurrection? "a violent uprising against an authority or government." Wasn't this also the purpose of the BLM riots?

These are not the exact same situations but in the end both were "a violent uprising against an authority or government." The definition of a terrorist is "a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

One big difference is that the BLM riots were allowed to happen for many months without being stopped or much accountability which is a big reason why what happened at the capitol went down like it did. I would assume many of the crazy people at the Capitol felt like BLM was allowed to run a muck all year so now it was their turn to do the same.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Both of these groups chose the wrong way. I do believe that both of these events are comparable but I do not believe that 2 wrongs make a right and neither should've happened. One does not justify the other. There were both good and bad people at both the Capitol riots and the BLM riots. Not all of these people are "terrorists" but in both groups, some were.

Who remembers during the BLM riots when they attacked the White House? The people that protected the Capitol are considered heroes yet the people that protected the White House during a riot were not considered heroes. They both put their lives on the line to protect. Both groups were violently attacked and injured over political BS.

Where was the select committee when democracy was attacked at the White House? How many of the people that attacked the White House were thrown in jail for months with no opportunity for bail? Was the FBI releasing photo and video from the White House attack to ask for help in identifying all of the assailants?

Those who broke the law need to be held accountable for their actions whether it was the BLM Riots or the Capitol Riots. In both instances, there were law abiding people and those who took it way too far which could be considered as terrorists. It is not right to generalize either as a whole.
    I appreciate you explaining your perspective and to an extent, I get it, but I still don't agree because context matters. When you simply compare the actions of both groups without considering the circumstances that pre-empted them, sure, they seem similar, but doing so ignores the hundreds of years of oppression, racial disparity and injustice inflicted on one of those groups. What injustice or wrong was inflicted on the group who stormed in to the capitol looking to stop the certification of a legitimately elected president by the voting citizens of this country? One group was misled and fed unsubstantiated lies about the legality of the election that occurred 2 months previous, while the other has endured countless killings and murders at the hands of those sworn to protect them time and time again. The system has repeatedly fucked them over and denied them the ability to build generational wealth. A system set-up by white men that for generations allowed the raping, murdering and trading of their bodies for personal pleasure and gain. And then, even when they were allowed "freedom", it was unequal and limited based on what the white man was willing to allow. While these practices have all been abolished or disallowed, the mindset that they are lesser or inferior still exists in far too many people's minds.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

I appreciate you explaining your perspective and to an extent, I get it, but I still don't agree because context matters. When you simply compare the actions of both groups without considering the circumstances that pre-empted them, sure, they seem similar, but doing so ignores the hundreds of years of oppression, racial disparity and injustice inflicted on one of those groups. What injustice or wrong was inflicted on the group who stormed in to the capitol looking to stop the certification of a legitimately elected president by the voting citizens of this country? One group was misled and fed unsubstantiated lies about the legality of the election that occurred 2 months previous, while the other has endured countless killings and murders at the hands of those sworn to protect them time and time again. The system has repeatedly fucked them over and denied them the ability to build generational wealth. A system set-up by white men that for generations allowed the raping, murdering and trading of their bodies for personal pleasure and gain. And then, even when they were allowed "freedom", it was unequal and limited based on what the white man was willing to allow. While these practices have all been abolished or disallowed, the mindset that they are lesser or inferior still exists in far too many people's minds.
    +1
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

I mostly agree with you and I really appreciate your respectful response.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,479
    “Attacked the White House?” When did that happen? Revisionist history much?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,479
    Maybe when one side starts dealing in facts there might be peace and reconciliation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/03/convenient-new-fiction-there-was-no-attack-white-house-last-year/

Until then, “deplorable.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    tbergs said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

Spot on! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Maybe when one side starts dealing in facts there might be peace and reconciliation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/03/convenient-new-fiction-there-was-no-attack-white-house-last-year/

Until then, “deplorable.”

Why do these threads keep getting locked? Because people like you can only resort to name calling.

I don't have a subscription to the Washington Post so I can't read the article you're referring to. There were Secret Service members that were attacked and injured when the protesters "tried" attacking the White House. The protesters did breach temporary security fencing at the White House. Do you think the protesters were there to shake Donald Trump's hand?
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/false-equivalency-black-lives-matter-capitol-siege-experts/story?id=75251279
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Let’s not forget that BLM protesters were treated with a bit more force plus Kissinger put that notion to rest that not once did he feel like democracy was in jeopardy!
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/false-equivalency-black-lives-matter-capitol-siege-experts/story?id=75251279

Just because someone wrote an article about something does not make it true. Like many of you have said, "You can't tell my lying eyes what I saw."

I'm not saying these are the exact same but there are similarities.
    Let’s not forget that BLM protesters were treated with a bit more force plus Kissinger put that notion to rest that not once did he feel like democracy was in jeopardy!
    I don't remember the FBI hunting down the BLM protesters asking neighbors to turn each other in......
    JB16057 said:
    I don't remember the FBI hunting down the BLM protesters asking neighbors to turn each other in......
    It could have something to do with the fact that the terrorist on 1/6 broke into the capitol and were hunting for senators to kill no? 
    JB16057 said:
    hunting down? that's called an investigation to find criminals. 

I also don't remember BLM protestors bringing a gallows to their protests with signs saying and chanting "hang mike pence". do you?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JB16057 said:
    It could have something to do with the fact that the terrorist on 1/6 broke into the capitol and were hunting for senators to kill no? 
    Sure.... but how many people were killed during the BLM riots? Way more than the amount of Senators that were even harmed.

How many of the Capitol rioters were there to kill someone? Maybe some but we have no idea of knowing. If you want to pretend it was all of them, you can do that but that isn't honest. I don't know this answer but how many of the rioters were charged with attempted murder or similar charges?

i, for one, am getting tired of the right making up false equivalencies in order to distract from the atrocities of their party membership and leadership. You want BLM protestors prosecuted? call your senator. this is about the INSURRECTION attempt on Jan 6. people need to be held accountable. no amount of whataboutisms will change that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

Just because someone wrote an article about something does not make it true. Like many of you have said, "You can't tell my lying eyes what I saw."

just becausr hannity claimed the white house was attacked doesnt make it true....

JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Sure.... but how many people were killed during the BLM riots? Way more than the amount of Senators that were even harmed.

How many of the Capitol rioters were there to kill someone? Maybe some but we have no idea of knowing. If you want to pretend it was all of them, you can do that but that isn't honest. I don't know this answer but how many of the rioters were charged with attempted murder or similar charges?

lol they were beating cops with flags you can justify it to please yourself the truth is the truth! On 1/6 terrorist tried to stop the count of electoral votes because they were mad their idiot president lost!
    i, for one, am getting tired of the right making up false equivalencies in order to distract from the atrocities of their party membership and leadership. You want BLM protestors prosecuted? call your senator. this is about the INSURRECTION attempt on Jan 6. people need to be held accountable. no amount of whataboutisms will change that. 
    I agree with what you are saying. But to say there are no fair comparisons is a false statement.

mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    tbergs said:

just becausr hannity claimed the white house was attacked doesnt make it true....

Hannity is an idiot. Were there members of the Secret Service that were injured protecting the White House?
    BLM shouldn’t be in this convo at all! 

BLM shouldn’t be in this convo at all! 

The BLM riots are one of the reasons why the Capitol Riot happened. The right was outraged at how the BLM riots were allowed to take place and how the media treated the BLM riots by saying things such as, "Fiery but mostly peaceful protests".

BLM can easily be in this convo on a Pearl Jam message board but I'll agree that as for the "select committee" or even criminal trials that BLM has nothing to do with either. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    JB16057 said:
    I agree with what you are saying. But to say there are no fair comparisons is a false statement.

disagree. read again what Tbergs posted. spot on. 400 years of oppression and rape and murder does not equate ONE IOTA to a bunch of butt hurt yokels egged on by a carnival barker trying to stop the certification of an election. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    The real difference is that the sitting president fabricated the lie that brought in the MAGA crowd and then encouraged them to"fight like hell". And Giuliani,  who was given a platform encouraged "Trial by combat". There's no equivalent between someone of Trump's platform and reach doing the same thing during the BLM protests.  

Trump also lied and said Pence could stop the certification of the votes.  Again,  no equivalence.