***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    CROJAM95 said:
    Such a fun show. Glad I went, work wasn’t fun yesterday but fuck it
    Glad to see people rocking again.  It seems surreal. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,700
    nicknyr15 said:
    Cool video. I am so glad I was there. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Seeing the Foos on Saturday in L.A!
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Three shows just announced for Alaska in August. Crazy. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Their latest album is the best one since In Your Honor.

To bad they are the most boring festival-greatest-hit playing band in history. When they don't have to be.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315

To bad they are the most boring festival-greatest-hit playing band in history. When they don't have to be.
    The new album is good? The singles I've heard kinda stink.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368

Depends who you ask. To me, not at all. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711

Depends who you ask. To me, not at all. 
    I think it's better than their past two albums.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    New albums ok, it seemds to get better with more spins, but this is the hard part of getting older.  Very few albums hit you from the get go.  The once that hit you over the head on the first listen are few and far between, and when you find them, holy fuck.  So many albums took many listens to really appreciate them.  I find it harder and harder to find the time to spin records as much as I did in my youth, so if a record doesn't catch me on the first listen or 2, it tends to get put back on the shelf.  It makes me wonder how many albums I've done that to, that with more listens might of become a favourite album.

Anyways, so far I sort of like the new FF album, seems to grow on me more when I give it another listen.  The last record they had that got me from the first listen was Wasting Light.  I love that record.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151

I've had the same impression of the Foos for a long time. There is plenty to like about the band, but they seem to keep those things hidden.

I feel like a lot of their albums are filled with fill. Their lyrics can bounce from being pretty good, to being Sammy Hagar-cringe worthy. Their stage routine and antics remind me of Spinal Tap, and not for comedic reasons. Dave Grohl overuses the words "mother f****r" and "mother f*****s" and "mother f***ing" during their shows. It's gotten to the point where I can almost predict what he'll say next, based on how "mother f****r" or a variation will fit into the sentence. They also make bad artistic choices. For example, choosing to cover every possible overplayed classic rock song seems boring. Putting out a disco themed novelty record, which includes live versions of their own non-disco tracks seems... ??? 

I suppose it might sound like I'm trolling or something, but the Foos seem better than this. It's frustrating to see the product, knowing that they could, and have done far better.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dave is just at a point where he's having fun with what he does. at least that's my impression. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dave is just at a point where he's having fun with what he does. at least that's my impression. 
    You might be right. I think about songs like "I'll Stick Around", and compare those to songs like "Walk". It makes me wonder if Dave & Co are uninterested. I remember when the Foos covered "Darling Nikki" and "Baker Street"... they made those songs their own! Now they cover "Jump", "Enter Sandman", and "Tom Sawyer" like a fanatical bar band trying to faithfully reproduce the originals, which we've all heard plenty o' times. It's just hard for me to understand how that would be fun for them. It seems like a formula... Certain greatest hits + new songs + the most popular classic rock songs + (mother f****r x 20) = Foo Fighters show
    3days said:
    You might be right. I think about songs like "I'll Stick Around", and compare those to songs like "Walk". It makes me wonder if Dave & Co are uninterested. I remember when the Foos covered "Darling Nikki" and "Baker Street"... they made those songs their own! Now they cover "Jump", "Enter Sandman", and "Tom Sawyer" like a fanatical bar band trying to faithfully reproduce the originals, which we've all heard plenty o' times. It's just hard for me to understand how that would be fun for them. It seems like a formula... Certain greatest hits + new songs + the most popular classic rock songs + (mother f****r x 20) = Foo Fighters show
    honestly, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be in a band that big. You want to play the full album, but 90% of the crowd would hate it. You want to play the covers YOU like, like Motorhead, but you instead play covers that you think the crowd knows and will respond to, like Metallica, and for the band, it's close enough to enjoy playing it. it's really gotta be awesome and kinda suck at the same time to play to 40,000 people, especially in a band like the Foo. I know they have their fanatics, but I don't think they even come close to having the same amount per show as PJ does, so it's less of a risk for PJ to play Hard To Imagine than it is for the Foo to play Podunk. 

and most rock crowds respond to MOTHERF****** 20 times. especially a 75% guy crowd 8 beers in. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and I don't think they are uninterested at all. I think they all look like they are having the time of their lives. 

mayyybe except this guy: LOL

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

3days said:
    honestly, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be in a band that big. You want to play the full album, but 90% of the crowd would hate it. You want to play the covers YOU like, like Motorhead, but you instead play covers that you think the crowd knows and will respond to, like Metallica, and for the band, it's close enough to enjoy playing it. it's really gotta be awesome and kinda suck at the same time to play to 40,000 people, especially in a band like the Foo. I know they have their fanatics, but I don't think they even come close to having the same amount per show as PJ does, so it's less of a risk for PJ to play Hard To Imagine than it is for the Foo to play Podunk. 

and most rock crowds respond to MOTHERF****** 20 times. especially a 75% guy crowd 8 beers in. 
    I agree that it's probably insanely difficult. Tom Petty fans used to bitch about his setlists being too similar with certain hits appearing  tour after tour.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    3days said:

That doesn't sounds like a terrible show, tbh.
    (Full disclosure, I have never seen them live and like some of their greatest hits.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    3days said:

(Full disclosure, I have never seen them live and like some of their greatest hits.)

I also love Jump, Enter Sandman and what not, so maybe the foos do too.  I think performing live is a lot about audience reaction.  You're there to entertain, so if the crowd responds amazingly well you're having a good time.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Zod said:
    3days said:

I also love Jump, Enter Sandman and what not, so maybe the foos do too.  I think performing live is a lot about audience reaction.  You're there to entertain, so if the crowd responds amazingly well you're having a good time.

Jump Around would be awesome.
    Jump would be a spot to go and take a leak.  :lol:      

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I seen 'em (hi Philly!) 4 times but last time I think was 2007 or something. You'd get to hear a few deep tracks from the current album but then those would be shelved forever in subsequent tours.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I saw them live two times a few years back....this was like 6 months apart.  Both shows were identical (+/- 1 or 2 songs) including in between song jokes and banter.  It was odd.

They are a great band and there are a few songs that I think are stellar (White Limo, Stacked Actors) but I can't say I am anxious to see them again.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I saw them live two times a few years back....this was like 6 months apart.  Both shows were identical (+/- 1 or 2 songs) including in between song jokes and banter.  It was odd.

They are a great band and there are a few songs that I think are stellar (White Limo, Stacked Actors) but I can't say I am anxious to see them again.
    i've come to realize it's odd to us as PJ has spoiled us in that regard. only a small fraction of bands don't do this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited July 2021

i've come to realize it's odd to us as PJ has spoiled us in that regard. only a small fraction of bands don't do this. 
    true....it was the jokes that really got me for the most part.  

And I do agree that the band seems a bit disconnected.  It's almost like they are told to stand in place so that Dave gets free reign of the stage.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    3days said:

Despite the gripes, I actually like them also. I'm trying to figure out what part of the Foos I really like. Foos of yesteryear? Certain Foo material? Studio Foos? I used to not have to distinguish. I saw them live once, and it was not a good show, but there were extenuating circumstances... It would not be fair to judge them based on that performance.
    I haven't seen them in several years, but they are an awesome band live from what I recall. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

true....it was the jokes that really got me for the most part.  

And I do agree that the band seems a bit disconnected.  It's almost like they are told to stand in place so that Dave gets free reign of the stage.
    one of the hazards of seeing a band that isn't PJ more than once on the same tour or a short time frame. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    A Foo's show is just pure rocking entertainment......no surprises...you know what you are in for!