2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Bettman isn't the problem, he's doing what his bosses (the owners) want. It's a business, and they're trying to make money, it is what it is. 

I do agree that expansion is only going to water down the talent level; they should have relocated 2 other teams. Moving the Coyotes would have been a no brainer. 

Shortening the schedule would have helped too, 82 games is too many, but fewer games = less $, so that's out the window as well. 

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Carolina just traded away their Calder finalist goalie.  Arizona just got some draft picks to take on salary.  The NHL and these southern teams are joke…

The NHL salary cap is a joke.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Carolina couldn’t afford 3 million…lmfao.  Please sell to Quebec City…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Canes get Bernie and trade Needledickcovic 
    Good deal!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    LMFAO…Yzerman robbed Carolina

NHL 2021-22 season schedule features Lightning, Kraken on opening night

Significant down time in February for the Olympic Break…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Happy they budgeted in an Olympic break. 
    Hoping for Coronato or Lambos to fall to Nashville. 
    There might be some real gems in the 2nd round to middle rounds.  The OHL did not play last year...and I believe the other CHL leagues had shortened seasons...some OHL players played in the AHL last season...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    No doubt. With teams not being able to scout normally and leagues not playing there are going to be some guys taken in the later rounds that turn out to be very good players. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    And its all a crapshoot too.  This draft more than ever
    MayDay10 said:
    And its all a crapshoot too.  This draft more than ever

I get why it's being said this year, but in reality every draft is a crap shoot after the top 10 or so. 
    Sabres traded Ristolainen to philadelphia for the #13 pick and a 2023 2nd (also a rugged 3rd pairing/7th defenseman with 1 year remaining on contract).
    Sabres robbed Philadelphia.

Would not surprise me if there are lots of trades this weekend.  I hope Montreal trades their 1st rounder for immediate help…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm not too bullish on 1st rounders this year though.  Its a strange year in what was already thought of as an off-year for the draft.

Ristolainen himself though is a UFA after this season.
    That's a great haul for Buffalo. 
    Doesn’t mean Buffalo has to keep the pick…they could make a trade for a player…but they likely want to restock their AHL team…

by all accounts it sounds like Buffalo is taking Power.  I like Power.  I think he’s the perfect piece to build around…plus you guys have Dahlin.  
    Is Eichel still getting moved?  Never stop hoping…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It seems like Eichel and Reinhart are going to be moved too.

I think there is a possibility they may use the #13 to try to move up further as a part of those other trades.  
    4 of the top 5 picks are Michigan Wolverines…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Logan Mailloux, eh?  That's a touch controversial.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Logan Mailloux, eh?  That's a touch controversial.  
    Drafting him was a joke.  I don't like the pick.  And quite honestly Montreal missed an opportunity to add Yanni Gourde.  Montreal has the assets that they could have shipped to Tampa to get him and Tampa gets assets for a good player...I think Tampa was willing to deal...same as Coleman and Savard...I'd ship assets to get both signed.

Bergevin does a good job trading and signing free agents, but sucks at the draft...Mailloux is R D Man and some say the best available.  Montreal needs R D Man...this is why he was drafted...I don't agree with it...but someone was going to draft him this weekend.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Glad it wasn't my team

Fuck that guy.
    I am curious about one thing?  The kid was convicted and served/paid his debt to society.  Should the kid not be allowed to continue his journey to a possible pro career?

Remember, in Canada, we have a PM who wore blackface so many times he could not remember all the incidents?  He is a proven misogynist, been accused as a groper, and an indigenous affairs minister (MP) sent out a racist text to an indigenous MP. the Ontario Premier used to be a drug dealer, a former mayor of Toronto was crack head, the NDP leader in Manitoba has been accused of domestic violence, the liberal premier of Nova Scotia is a  2 time DUI convicted.  

In the US a judge gave a rapist who raped an unconscious female behind a dumpster a 6-month jail sentence.

And how many people have been rooting cheering and mocking indigenous people by being fans of sports teams with racist names?

These are leaders in our community and country who have been getting free passes their entire life.  The kid fucked up.  It's up to him to learn and redeem himself.  Montreal fucked up by drafting him.  Now it's up to Montreal and the London Knights to make sure to guide him.

Drafting someone does not mean they will stay with the pro club.  Montreal can cut ties with him at any time.  They essentially used a 2nd round pick on him...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2021
    If you are fine with your team picking a guy you know is like this, that is fine.
    I don't say he should never have a career but I don't want him on my team.
    I don't like Aaron Rodgers and think he is a total fucking asshole, but I'm guessing his gf knew he was sending the pic out when he did the same thing.

Also, read an article interviewing the lady he did this to and she didn't find his apology to be sincere and his agent comes off as an asshole as well 
    https://theathletic.com/2716093/2021/07/20/woman-victimized-by-nhl-prospect-in-sweden-all-i-wanted-was-a-heartfelt-apology?source=user-shared-article

It is funny you draw a parallel to the Stanford swimmer case....I think it is similar.  Privileged assholes doing whatever they want.

It is one thing when you have a guy on your team and discover he has no moral character whatsoever and is an evil douche.  It is another draft or sign one knowingly.
    Did I say I was fine with the pick?  

The kid was 17.  It’s up to him to redeem himself.  

All I’m saying is in our societies there is 1000s of examples of privileged people carrying on with life like normal who have committed immoral acts…

your president supports the pedophilia Catholic Church…

when leaders in society show this shitty side, then don’t expect dumb 17 year olds from fucking up.

remember the brain in not fully developed until 25…or so I’ve read.

And if you think this is the first player show up in the NHL without a checkered past…lol

Their is likely players on your kings that did shitty things while in junior hockey…lol you just don’t know about.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I will say nothing about the fact that so many people are assholes....just that I don't think I would be pleased of my team knowingly drafted a giant one.  
    Hope he is a solid human being moving forward and get put this mistake behind him.  (On someone else's team....I've had enough people turn out to be dipshits on teams I root for, to the point where they had to cut some of them)

Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews charged with disorderly conduct after incident with female security guard - CBSSports.com

I did not like the pick.  

But unlike the Toronto centric sports stations with their Toronto sports personalities who insist on seeing this 18-year old (17 when he committed this terrible crime} never be allowed to have a career in hockey.

Anyways, the odds that he ever plays for Montreal are a long shot at best, and if he does develop it'll be 3 to 4 years.

There are players on every team in every sport that has committed an act of misogyny...

Time to move on.

Time to get ready for free agency on the 28th.

Teams with cap space have some decent free agents to pursue.  I suspect there will be trades this week as well.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Imagine if there were smartphones and internet in the 70s and 80s with these dudes? Ha
    One thing about the Mailloux kid I don't really understand. If he was trying to be apologetic/remorseful etc. why didn't he pull out of the draft?

Not just a "hey don't draft me". If you really meant that why did you keep your name in?