JAZZ

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
edited July 2021 in Other Music
Just saw a adbook post of new releases  out tomorrow at a local shop   One title is Dexter Gordon GO(KG cut) and it sparked the thread idea.

seeing more folks posting on various artists/albums,  so it seems right the genre has its own spot here for broad discussion.

My old man was professional drummer with a day job. I never paid much interest to his taste and I've come to regret that as I have gotten older. Shit I was named after Davis ffs.I have begun to appreciate the varied styles and aquire certain titles.

So, whatcha got and why? better versions than others etc... what/who do I/we need to be on the lookout for?

Closer to OG pressings appeal to me for a variety of reasons and am fortunate to live in a jazz fan rich area.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    shoulda done a search first. oh well.  
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    mickeyrat said:
    shoulda done a search first. oh well.  

I think we have an older jazz thread, but nothing like putting a fresh face on a new one.  :smile:

Yeah, jazz seems to be having a resurgence.   I had roommates back in the very early 70's who were into all the usual 60's rock stuff plus being very hip to all things jazz.  I didn't mind it so much when they played stuff by Mile Davis or Horace Silver or maybe even Mingus, but when it came to later Coltrane or, WORSE!, Albert Ayler or Sun Ra, I wanted to run out of the house screaming!

But then one day, while floating on some nice reefer, they were playing a Sun Ra LP and suddenly, *click*, a light went on.  Wow!  That was good!  And in no time at all, all of it sounded good.  I've never looked back.  My favorites today run from the far out of Sun Ra and Albert Ayler, to the inventiveness of Coltrane and Miles, to the mellowness of Getz, Bill Evans, and Guaraldi, and many more. There's so much good music out there.

Now, at some point we might want to discuss the term "Jazz".  In his fine book, Notes and Tones, drummer Arthur Taylor interviews several top jazz artists and asks them what they thing of the term "jazz".  Surprisingly (or maybe not?) several of them disliked it, some even abhorred it.  Interesting stuff!

By the way, M, would love to here more about your dad's jazz adventures!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    I like jazz. Newish fan after picking up a small pile cheap and also friends hooking me up. I like where it takes my mind. Gives it more room to flow, where other types of music tends to direct my mood. 
    I found it interesting some african american classical musicians were pushed away into 'jazz' because of their skin color. In particular one dude. Ron Carter...invented his own bass...real unique sound..worked with tons of greats...When you find a record with him on it, get it.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^^^ Ron Carter is an amazing human being!!!!
    I just picked this up from the latest RSD and he plays on it.  Awesome record!

Charles Lloyd ‎– Manhattan Stories

Label:
    Resonance Records ‎– HLP-9016B
    Format:
    2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, 180 Gram, Gatefold

Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Tracklist Hide Credits

A Sweet Georgia Bright
    Written-By – Charles Lloyd
    17:49
    B1 How Can I Tell You
    11:57
    B2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    12:50
    C1 Slugs' Blues
    12:57
    C2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    13:53
    D Dream Weaver
    15:25

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Record Store Day exclusive release, part of the July 17th drops. Limited to 3,500 copies.

The United States Record Store Day website states that this release is limited to 2,000 copies, meaning there are that many copies available alone in the United States.

Comes in a gatefold jacket with a four page booklet insert with Charles Lloyd interview and liner notes by Zev Feldman, Michael Cuscuna, Don Heckman, and Stanley Crouch.

LP sides A/B: Live at Judson Hall, NYC, September 3, 1965. LP sides C/D: Live at Slugs' Saloon, NYC, 1965.

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Like Lou, I am a more recent  (last couple years) Jazz aficionado and it’s been a fun ride so far. One of the newer artists that has really impressed me is The Comet is Coming.  I’ve got both albums and both EPs. The best of the lot is the album Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery.  A fun ride for sure. 

Also picked up a used 45rpm copy of the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio album titled Misty. Phenomenal album and pressing. 

Label:
    Format:

Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Tracklist Hide Credits

A Sweet Georgia Bright
    B1 How Can I Tell You
    B2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    C1 Slugs' Blues
    C2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    D Dream Weaver

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Record Store Day exclusive release, part of the July 17th drops. Limited to 3,500 copies.

The United States Record Store Day website states that this release is limited to 2,000 copies, meaning there are that many copies available alone in the United States.

Comes in a gatefold jacket with a four page booklet insert with Charles Lloyd interview and liner notes by Zev Feldman, Michael Cuscuna, Don Heckman, and Stanley Crouch.

LP sides A/B: Live at Judson Hall, NYC, September 3, 1965. LP sides C/D: Live at Slugs' Saloon, NYC, 1965.

After all these years of being into jazz, I have somehow managed to miss out on Charles Lloyd (although I do have several records featuring the amazing Mr. Ron Carter!)   Maybe this is a good one to start with for Lloyd?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Label:
    Format:

Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Tracklist Hide Credits

A Sweet Georgia Bright
    B1 How Can I Tell You
    B2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    C1 Slugs' Blues
    C2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    D Dream Weaver

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Nice score!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Good thread.. marked
    Loujoe said:

Label:
    Format:

Released:
    Genre:
    Style:

Tracklist Hide Credits

A Sweet Georgia Bright
    B1 How Can I Tell You
    B2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    C1 Slugs' Blues
    C2 Lady Gabor
    Written-By – Gabor Szabo
    D Dream Weaver

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Nice score!!

OMG, just noticed Gabor Szabo is on this too! Sweet!

edited July 2021
    Arrived yesterday from Amazon..... huge soundstage and great separation of instruments.

.....this new classic Blue Note series is fantastic!  Perfect placement of the hype sticker as well.

Dexter Gordon ‎– Go!

Label:
    Blue Note ‎– ST-84112, UMe ‎– 3579907
    Series:
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Stereo, 180 Gram 

Released:
    Genre:
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Arrived yesterday from Amazon..... huge soundstage and great separation of instruments.

.....this new classic Blue Note series is fantastic!  Perfect placement of the hype sticker as well.

Dexter Gordon ‎– Go!

Label:
    Series:
    Format:

Released:
    Genre:
    Mine was delivered today too, but I'm on a plane. 

How is the sleeve? The 75th was lame, cheap cardboard. 
    mrussel1 said:

Dexter Gordon ‎– Go!

Label:
    Series:
    Format:

Released:
    Genre:
    Mine was delivered today too, but I'm on a plane. 

How is the sleeve? The 75th was lame, cheap cardboard. 
    Yes the sleeve is weak, but that's what keeps the price down.  I'd bet this sounds better than the 75th, I've read that the 75th series was kind of hit or miss with their pressings.  So far this Classic series is hitting it out of the park, as least sonically. 
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Do you ever come across an album in your collection and think, "Whoa!  Forgot I had this.  I can't even remember what it sounds like"?  I was doing some organizing today and found this one:
    Special Edition album cover

I thought, "Man!  I can't remember this!"  I gave it a spin and was totally blown away.  This record is amazing!  Jack DeJohnette, David Murray, Arthur Blythe and Peter Warren.  Mind blowing!

Love Jack when he was with Bill Evans.   I didn't know he had his own stuff. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Love Jack when he was with Bill Evans.   I didn't know he had his own stuff. 

I think you would flip over his Special Edition, M.  It really does deserve- as Michael Nastos put it in his review- "a definitive five-star rating for the lofty place it commands in the evolution of jazz toward new heights and horizons".  Killer album!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    When it comes to jazz, I dig all the more progressive acts that Blue Note, etc. are cashing in on lately, but, to me, nothing, and I mean goddamn nothing, beats Dixieland. 

It’s a trip, it’s got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited July 2021
    dankind said:
    When it comes to jazz, I dig all the more progressive acts that Blue Note, etc. are cashing in on lately, but, to me, nothing, and I mean goddamn nothing, beats Dixieland. 

my entry was really Brubeck. That laid backish loungy feel.Took me a minute to come to Miles(50s and 60s) and other artists of that era style/mindset....

havent delved too much in big band but have a couple compilations....

these are more brass oriented.

tried Wes Montgomery, not sure I follow yet...

• KM658471KM658471 Posts: 6

This is one of my favorites from Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition

mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

my entry was really Brubeck. That laid backish loungy feel.Took me a minute to come to Miles(50s and 60s) and other artists of that era style/mindset....

I don't like orchestra jazz.  Just can't get into it.  Even my MOFI Porgy and Bess gets little play. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

I don't like orchestra jazz.  Just can't get into it.  Even my MOFI Porgy and Bess gets little play. 

have a B Goodman compilation and a G Miller one

and I really should do a bit of research before entering a record store.....

I wonder if we should create a general bad pressing/reissue thread? maybe help some us avoid them?

edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

I respect the hell out of good big band jazz outfits- Ellington, Basie- for sure.  But like you, it's just not my thing, with one major exception- Sun Ra and company.   But that's a whole other thing!

mickeyrat:
    What Wes Montgomery have you tried?  His career was really two different thing- the later stuff where he covered a lot of pop tunes, and the early stuff that was more classical jazz.  His later stuff is mellow and nice and all, but I'd say his earlier work is much better.  If you get a chance, maybe check out some of his Riverside stuff like SO Much Guitar! (Ron Carter is on that one!) and The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

I respect the hell out of good big band jazz outfits- Ellington, Basie- for sure.  But like you, it's just not my thing, with one major exception- Sun Ra and company.   But that's a whole other thing!

mickeyrat:
    What Wes Montgomery have you tried?  His career was really two different thing- the later stuff where he covered a lot of pop tunes, and the early stuff that was more classical jazz.  His later stuff is mellow and nice and all, but I'd say his earlier work is much better.  If you get a chance, maybe check out some of his Riverside stuff like SO Much Guitar! (Ron Carter is on that one!) and The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

mickeyrat:

Ooh!  That looks good!

dankind said:

Preservation Jazz Hall Band. For sure! Happy feel good stuff that will continue forever.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    If you like modern jazz fusion look up Modeski Martin and Wood.  They also play with John Schoefield and sometimes Logic. 

For the record I can't stand it.  They are truly impressive magicians but it's not my cup of tea when you drum off the beat...

Saw them twice. 
    Loujoe said:
    dankind said:

Preservation Jazz Hall Band. For sure! Happy feel good stuff that will continue forever.
    Oh man,  I love them.  Wasn't super familiar until they opened for DMB at a show in Charlottesville a few years ago.  It was great.  Then they came back out and played a20 minute jam during DMBs main set.  Really impressive.  I'm going to see them in New Orleans in a few months. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    dankind said:

Oh man,  I love them.  Wasn't super familiar until they opened for DMB at a show in Charlottesville a few years ago.  It was great.  Then they came back out and played a20 minute jam during DMBs main set.  Really impressive.  I'm going to see them in New Orleans in a few months. 
    I have awesome video of Preservation Jazz hall band and Arcade Fire from a few years ago.  AF and the band walk through the crowd playing Wake up.  

The second time seeing them I knew when the show was over what they were going to do.  I missed it the first time I saw them do it a few years earlier so I was ready this time.

It was so amazing to see them playing dancing and having a fun time with it.