Options

East Rutherford 6/3/06

edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I was there and have the boot, after the crowd at this show and the first one in jersey , I think this will be the last time they end the tour in jersey, it's embarassing how quiet the crowd gets during the animal fiasco, it wasn't til matt starting thumping his drum that we made some noise and still it was nothing.

The singing was ok at best, lame crowd overall , band knew it. I think they had some special stuff planned but changed it up after the first set, he was not going to reward a lame crowd. He says they got in a minor beef over what they were going to play, with a better crowd I think we would have had a one of a kind show , instead it was just a damn good show.
NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I was there too I dont know 6/3 seemed to be a great time, 6/1 was the weak crowd hey thats just me.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I thought it was a very good show.
    I was thinking it would be more like Penn State.
    I figured they would have played for at least 3 hours plus.
    Still a great time.
  • Options
    GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 113
    I thought the crowd was pretty awesome for the Saturday show. Thursdays crowd, on the other hand...different story.

As for the disagreement on the song, someone here suggested that they were arguing about playing Army Reserve. Thursday night, a lot of people left their seats during this song. The poster suggested that the rest of the band was kind of leaning towards playing something else, especially after the ridiculously awesome finish of the 1st set.

Wasn't the best crowd ever, but I thought it was defnitely up there.
    All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,375
    maybe the answer is for smaller venues .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    I was there and have the boot, after the crowd at this show and the first one in jersey , I think this will be the last time they end the tour in jersey, it's embarassing how quiet the crowd gets during the animal fiasco, it wasn't til matt starting thumping his drum that we made some noise and still it was nothing.

The singing was ok at best, lame crowd overall , band knew it. I think they had some special stuff planned but changed it up after the first set, he was not going to reward a lame crowd. He says they got in a minor beef over what they were going to play, with a better crowd I think we would have had a one of a kind show , instead it was just a damn good show.

youve tried this before - I guess it is a Boston thing.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    This crowd was not the greatest, but not nearly as bad as the DC crowd.
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I'm a Mass native, went to both Boston shows and the 6/3 show. I really thought the crowd was great, and I have no stake at all in saying that. The pause during the Animal power outage lasted several minutes. No North American crowd would have gone apeshit for the entire 5 minutes. It just doesn't happen.

Maybe it was where you were sitting, MOTPT. I didn't think the crowd was lame at all.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    The crowd behind the stage where i was sucked, then all of a sudden came to life during last kiss when they turned around which kinda upset me for some reason, if you arent gonna cheer the whole time why cheer when they turn around... but anyway most ppl were sitting down ya know blah blah. That was fine tho gave me a better view... fan club seats are way better if your around other 10c members the show is 100x better!

good show overall tho i thought with my 6 shows in leg 1
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    WindNoSail wrote:
    youve tried this before - I guess it is a Boston thing.

No it's not a Boston thing, I'm a huge fan , was really disappointed with this crowd, guess my expectations are set to high, I expected a better crowd from such a large demographics as the NY/NJ metro area and the last show of the leg. Crowd was sub par, maybe they should stick with NYC and stop going to Jersey.
  • Options
    easy killer, jersey shows are fine too haha
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    The singing was ok at best, lame crowd overall , band knew it. I think they had some special stuff planned but changed it up after the first set, he was not going to reward a lame crowd.
    ladies and gentlemen, this douchebag thinks he knows what's in the bands head! He also thinks he has a feel for the crowd from his one seat.

you sir, are a tool.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    a5pj wrote:
    The crowd behind the stage where i was sucked, then all of a sudden came to life during last kiss when they turned around which kinda upset me for some reason, if you arent gonna cheer the whole time why cheer when they turn around... but anyway most ppl were sitting down ya know blah blah. That was fine tho gave me a better view... fan club seats are way better if your around other 10c members the show is 100x better!

good show overall tho i thought with my 6 shows in leg 1

this is case in point why these crowd opinions are tough to judge...i was directly behind the stage, second row and everyone around me was crazy - which is the whole reason they turned around to play last kiss in the first place.

i also had a good view of the floor and i thought the crowd was very good. it's impossible to tell from the boots sometimes because of the different venues. and it's tough to tell from where you are sitting how the rest of the crowd is.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i was also in attendance at the show and i thought that the audience was amazing. they practically would not stop screaming and yelling. from section 217, the fans one the floor looked pretty happy to be there. when i bought the boot, i did notice that the crowd sounded a little quiet, but thats obviously due to the company probably lowering the crowd volume so you can hear eddie better. they probably had to do that because continental is not a very great place to have concerts, as it was obviously shown in the first five songs of the concert. eddie even said he had a great time. he was very interactive with the crowd and sounded ecstatic to be there. he also mentions how he felt that the crowd was better the 2nd night rather than the first. "fuck it, i stayed" --- eddie during yellow ledbetter.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    sat show rocked- crowd was on point- stay in massachusetts next time- douchebag.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options

This is one of the dumber posts I've ever read. What was the crowd suppossed to do -- cheer a power outage!?!? "YEEEAHHH, WOOOHOOO! POWER OUTAGE!!! ROCK ON!!!" I guess a Boston crowd would've cheered this, right? Ed complimented the crowd, but according to you the crowd was lame and the band knew it and that Ed didn't want to reward a lame crowd. You're pretty impressive. Tell us...what is Eddie thinking right now???

Do us all a favor, instead of starting a thread trashing a show that a lot of people had fun at, start another of the 1,000 threads already out there about how "wicked awesome" the Boston shows were.
    Buffalo '96, Merriweather '98, VFC (D.C.) '98, Jones Beach III '00, Buffalo '03, Camden I '03, MSG I & II '03, Albany '06, East Rutherford II '06, MSG II '08, MSG I '10
  • Options
    This is one of the dumber posts I've ever read. What was the crowd suppossed to do -- cheer a power outage!?!? "YEEEAHHH, WOOOHOOO! POWER OUTAGE!!! ROCK ON!!!" I guess a Boston crowd would've cheered this, right? Ed complimented the crowd, but according to you the crowd was lame and the band knew it and that Ed didn't want to reward a lame crowd. You're pretty impressive. Tell us...what is Eddie thinking right now???

Do us all a favor, instead of starting a thread trashing a show that a lot of people had fun at, start another of the 1,000 threads already out there about how "wicked awesome" the Boston shows were.

If I had to guess I would say ed is thinking about their return to boston in 2007, and how great the crowd was there this year.
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I was talking to HailHailVitalogy a few days ago about the crowds on the boots. He actually emailed 10c asking why the crowds were so quiet on the bootlegs. 10c replied saying Basecamp had been mixing the crowds for every bootleg lower than usual for this leg of the tour because the crowds were drowning out the band and they wanted us to be able to hear the music on the bootlegs.

Just relaying the message...

p.s. the boston shows were great, blah blah blah. Apart from the re-emergence of Leash during night 2, they weren't the most special shows of the tour so far. I've heard all the boots so far, and Grand Rapids is the best-sounding show for great crowd energy and great band performance.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    Crowd energy, shmenergy. Pearl Jam comes out and melts everyone's face every night, and every night everyone in the building is totally amped up to see them. In some sections, people sit for periods of time, in other sections, nobody ever sits. I'd venture to say the energy level is pretty high coming from the crowd. He tells every crowd they're great in one way or another because they all are. I was at ER1 this year, I was on the floor, it was insane down there, and I specifically looked around at times to see what the rest of the building was doing, and as far as I could tell, going nuts. The momentum did not let up the entire show, 30 songs, insanely good setlist, the band sounds awesome on the bootleg as well. Everyone wants to think they were at some special show that was much better than the others. They're all amazing. Some people like some songs, some people like others. I can definitely understand why shows with fewer songs get a bad rap. But come on, its not like these guys are a jamband who clearly have good and bad nights. Version to version, most songs sound pretty much the same every night - almost always awesome. PJ brings their A game every night, your experioence at a show is largely subjective based on where you're sitting, who you're with, how much you drank, smoked, whatever, and whether or not some slob pukes on you.
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    pghas wrote:
    Crowd energy, shmenergy. Pearl Jam comes out and melts everyone's face every night, and every night everyone in the building is totally amped up to see them. In some sections, people sit for periods of time, in other sections, nobody ever sits. I'd venture to say the energy level is pretty high coming from the crowd. He tells every crowd they're great in one way or another because they all are. I was at ER1 this year, I was on the floor, it was insane down there, and I specifically looked around at times to see what the rest of the building was doing, and as far as I could tell, going nuts. The momentum did not let up the entire show, 30 songs, insanely good setlist, the band sounds awesome on the bootleg as well. Everyone wants to think they were at some special show that was much better than the others. They're all amazing. Some people like some songs, some people like others. I can definitely understand why shows with fewer songs get a bad rap. But come on, its not like these guys are a jamband who clearly have good and bad nights. Version to version, most songs sound pretty much the same every night - almost always awesome. PJ brings their A game every night, your experioence at a show is largely subjective based on where you're sitting, who you're with, how much you drank, smoked, whatever, and whether or not some slob pukes on you.

AMEN!!!
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495

p.s. the boston shows were great, blah blah blah. Apart from the re-emergence of Leash during night 2, they weren't the most special shows of the tour so far. I've heard all the boots so far, and Grand Rapids is the best-sounding show for great crowd energy and great band performance.

even if leash wasnt played, i still think boston wins out. i guess ya had to be there those 2 nights to know what i mean. there was this vibe throughout the building those 2 nights that was unexplainable. i was ER2 and it was an amazing show, but it just didnt have the same feeling as i did at the boston gigs.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 473

I agree with this....what should of been done during the power outage then ??

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

guess we were at different shows,even though i was there! were u?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    bones0138bones0138 Posts: 52
    no, no, no, this guy is totally right. around the 5th or 6th song of the set, the band gets together and judges the crowd. if we're not loud enough or dancing like crazy, they switch over to the "generic" setlist they use for the lame crowds. fuckin retard.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,617
    I think I am unbiased for the most part. The Hartford crowd was sort of lame... and thats my 'home field' for now. I hate the NYC area and always find ways to discredit the area, especially when it comes to sports fans and things like that. I actually love the city of Boston on the other hand.

Anyways I think to say the crowd was crappy at ER2 is ludicrous. That was the best crowd I have experienced at a PJ show which includes 2 shows in Boston (also good crowds).

when 80% of the people in attendance are bellowing out 'In Hiding', its tough to say the crowd was crappy. I was in a pretty so-so section too.... but the energy overall in the arena was overwhelming. when the power went out the place went nuts.... but people arent going to waste their voices for 5-10 minutes while a crew fixes things.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    bones0138 wrote:
    around the 5th or 6th song of the set, the band gets together and judges the crowd. if we're not loud enough or dancing like crazy, they switch over to the "generic" setlist they use for the lame crowds.
    Why does that make me sad. It's a good business practice, I guess, but it makes me sad boo hoo. So if I hear a generic set list then I'm part of "us" that's not up to par, I guess, eh?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MayDay10

"I think I am unbiased for the most part. The Hartford crowd was sort of lame... and thats my 'home field' for now. I hate the NYC area and always find ways to discredit the area, especially when it comes to sports fans and things like that. I actually love the city of Boston on the other hand."

So you live in Fairfield, love Boston, hate NYC and consider Hartford your 'home field'. Isn't NYC about the same distance from Fairfield as Hartford is...if not closer?

And while this certainly isn't the forum for a sports discussion, since you brought it up I'd be interested in your views on NYC sports fans -- especially since you appear to be a Bills fan. I've been to Ralph Wilson stadium and let's just say "classy" isn't the first word that comes to mind when describing their fanbase.
    Buffalo '96, Merriweather '98, VFC (D.C.) '98, Jones Beach III '00, Buffalo '03, Camden I '03, MSG I & II '03, Albany '06, East Rutherford II '06, MSG II '08, MSG I '10
  • Options
    I was at ER2 and the ironic part of this post is that Eddie decided to mention that the crowd was better for nite 2 and that it was a special nite. Now this dude is sayin the band had plans and shit and scrapped them because of the lame crowd. I don't know man, seems like you're just trying to stir shit up. I thought the first set was one of their best on this leg.
    4/30/03 - Nassau Coliseum
    7/8/03 - Madison Square Garden
    7/14/03 - PNC Arts Center
    6/3/06 - Continental Arena
    6/24/08 - Madison Square Garden
    6/25/08 - Madison Square Garden
    8/7/08 - EV NJPAC
    10/31/09 - Philly Spectrum
    5/18/10 - Prudential Center
    5/20/10 - Madison Square Garden
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field
    10/18/13 - Barclays Center
    9/26/15 - Central Park
    5/1/16 - Madison Square Garden
    5/2/16 - Madison Square Garden
    8/7/16 - Fenway Park
    8/8/18 - Safeco Field
    8/10/18 - Safeco Field
    9/18/21 - Asbury Park Boardwalk

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,617
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MayDay10

"I think I am unbiased for the most part. The Hartford crowd was sort of lame... and thats my 'home field' for now. I hate the NYC area and always find ways to discredit the area, especially when it comes to sports fans and things like that. I actually love the city of Boston on the other hand."

So you live in Fairfield, love Boston, hate NYC and consider Hartford your 'home field'. Isn't NYC about the same distance from Fairfield as Hartford is...if not closer?

And while this certainly isn't the forum for a sports discussion, since you brought it up I'd be interested in your views on NYC sports fans -- especially since you appear to be a Bills fan. I've been to Ralph Wilson stadium and let's just say "classy" isn't the first word that comes to mind when describing their fanbase.

I just moved from New Haven recently which is about equidistant from Boston and NYC (i think)... i didnt even live there very long either though. and yes, the Ralph is sometimes over the top... But growing up in Buffalo and going to college in central NY, I encountered a ton of fairweather/bandwagon NYC sports fans who only watched the Yanks in the world series, if the Giants suck root for the Jets, and hate hockey when the Rangers suck, but when they look good, they suddenly wore jerseys and talked a lot of trash. (i think i respect islanders/Mets fans). But anyways all those people just ruined those teams for me.

I was just trying to convey that I have no reason to want to give props to an NYC based crowd... But admitting that the crowd was pretty awesome.
  • Options
    maybe it was my seats, there was no one behind me , i was in section 104 , last row, only time i heard the crowd was during last kiss, alive and yl, i enjoyed the show , liked the set, maybe my expectations were too high for the last show of the leg.
  • Options
    pintabonepintabone Posts: 7

So you think they had some special stuff planned but changed it eh? Rats and Don't Gimme no Lip. Best show out of the five I saw this tour.
    Everyone else does...Why not?

Camden 7/5/03
    Camden 7/6/03
    MSG 7/8/03
    MSG 7/9/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Holmdel 7/14/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Philly 10/3/05
    Camden 5/27/06
    Camden 5/28/06
    Vh1 Storytellers 5/31/06