Black Lives Matter

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    This thread has been quiet for a while and surprised no one posted this.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/society/gwen-berry/

Gwen Barry is an articulate, well spoken, won't back down woman.  I don't agree w what she did but her reasons for it are understandable.

She has a platform that she is using but like Kap the message gets lost because there is no conversation.

The twittersphere and social media are filled with one liners and the meanings get lost in the muck.

Good luck in Tokyo Gwen!
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Except Gwen used to be.... patriotic.  I don't know what happened in the past couple of years to change her mind.  

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    I fully support Gwen Berry's actions. Same as Colin Kaepernick, Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Vince Matthews, and Wayne Collett. Jackie Robinson stated he would never stand for the anthem. They are all patriots.
    Hobbes said:
    I fully support Gwen Berry's actions. Same as Colin Kaepernick, Tommie Smith, John Carlos, Vince Matthews, and Wayne Collett. Jackie Robinson stated he would never stand for the anthem. They are all patriots.
    For the record, I do too.  But what changed from this...
    Gwen Berry Didn39t Always Hate The Flag Only Now That It39s Trendy  OutKick

to this...
    Gwen Berry claims she was 39set up39 after turning away from flag on Olympic  trials podium
    Hobbes said:
    Robinson said that but I don't think it ever happened publicly?
    Seriously? 7 years. She was 25 in the first photo. A lot of growth, maturity, and life experience. Certainly attitude and belief will change over time. And should change. Baffles me that this is a concept difficult to fathom.
    Hobbes said:
    Robinson did enough for Civil Rights.
    Hobbes said:
    Seriously? 7 years. She was 25 in the first photo. A lot of growth, maturity, and life experience. Certainly attitude and belief will change over time. And should change. Baffles me that this is a concept difficult to fathom.
    Good point.  I can remember a band that used to hate Ticketmaster.
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Robinson did enough for Civil Rights.
    That isn't even a topic to discuss.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Hobbes said:
    Good point.  I can remember a band that used to hate Ticketmaster.
    When you troll, you troll hard. Nice work. Take a break champ, you've earned it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Hobbes said:

to this...
    Gwen Berry claims she was 39set up39 after turning away from flag on Olympic  trials podium
    What a fantastic point. Domestic abusers should use wedding pictures and happy photos to challenge things too. I mean, what happened, right? Maybe this can be a new defense for rapists too...oh wait, that already happens to women all the time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339
    What’s really sad is the person in 3rd place is getting all the attention for her “look at me moment”.  I salute the 2 woman who outperformed that nitwit and are proud and respectful representing ALL Americans….
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    What’s really sad is the person in 3rd place is getting all the attention for her “look at me moment”.  I salute the 2 woman who outperformed that nitwit and are proud and respectful representing ALL Americans….
    That’s not the sad part.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Funny when I read your post I have the same feeling SAD 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
     Frederick Douglass had nothing but scorn for July Fourth. The Black abolitionist spoke for the enslaved.
    By Gillian Brockell

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/07/04/frederick-douglass-july-4th-slavery/

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

I agree that the women who finished 1st and 2nd deserve big kudos for there achievements. However, that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand, Linda. 
    Also, I'm curious as to how you seem to know that the 1st and 2nd place winner represent ALL Americans?   For all I know they very well may well, but also, for all I know, they might hate black or Hispanics or Amish people.  But I'm not going to make such claims one way oth the other without some evidence or proof first.  So perhaps you could please provide some evidence to back your claim.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

promoting equality or at least equitable treatment of your marginalized community IS in fact representing all Americans. Its fighting for the ideals in that shiny brochure most other Americans think we've already achieved.....

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mickeyrat said:
    promoting equality or at least equitable treatment of your marginalized community IS in fact representing all Americans. Its fighting for the ideals in that shiny brochure most other Americans think we've already achieved.....

Well said, M.  Sadly, we are still far away from achieving those lofty goals.  I would say we have at least move in the right direction in my life time- but the progress has been slow and (to me at least) disappointingly slow.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339
    brianlux said:

I agree that the women who finished 1st and 2nd deserve big kudos for there achievements. However, that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand, Linda. 
    Also, I'm curious as to how you seem to know that the 1st and 2nd place winner represent ALL Americans?   For all I know they very well may well, but also, for all I know, they might hate black or Hispanics or Amish people.  But I'm not going to make such claims one way oth the other without some evidence or proof first.  So perhaps you could please provide some evidence to back your claim.
    So let me get this straight, you want me to provide you proof that the 1st and second place finisher don’t hate Blacks, Hispanics, or Amish people???  Well that might be a tough one to prove Brian, I am simply going to be patriotic and claim they are PROUD to Represent their Country and PROUD they are afforded the opportunity to do so.  These athletes like the rotten brain nitwit above who pander to the ways of BLM and chant thier name every chance they get , make it impossible for a reasonable person to take seriously, especially when BLM put’s out statements like the one below.  Now tell me, who is the REAL Racist???? 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Racists gonna racist
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Those who support trump turned the American flag into “their” flag based on his political and “patriotic” rhetoric.  I can certainly understand why the movement feels this way.  Since republicans act like we no longer are represented by “their” flag then it actually is no longer ours.  I’m white and I’m with the guy a few posts back - nothing but a piece of cloth….just depends whose carrying it or flying it determines my attitude about old glory. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Hobbes said:

to this...
    Aren’t most Olympic medalists still working jobs? Few sports warrant the type of sponsorship that allows someone to give up their regular income, at least long term. . When’s the last time you say the curling team on a box of Wheaties? There’s hundreds of events and only a handful make it to prime time viewing.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    John Shuster, 2018 gold metal in curling and bronze in 2006. Worked for Dicks sporting goods as a sales associate and now is a public speaker. 11 employees of Dicks participated in the 2018 olympics, including Shuster.
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dicks-sporting-goods-celebrates-employee-roster-of-11-team-usa-winter-olympians-300589099.html

Anyway, track and field is not the poor man’s sport, most of them are.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited July 2021
    Fuck the "reasonable person" bullshit, Trump Lover.
    If you support Trump you are not reasonable, you are a garbage person.  Not the occupation, the contents of your soul....

For the matter I fully support BLM and their right to protest and can understand why they came to hate the flag and what they associate it with.
    I have one flying but I do not blame them for how they feel.  If I lived the reality that  they live I would (for sure!) draw different assumptions and conclusions than I draw now.
    Will take the opportunity to ask people directly if they feel that I am a dickhead KKK / Trump supporter when they see it up -- and assure them that I am the opposite of a Trump Supporter/KKK fool. 
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Didn’t that girl make jokes about rape and anti Mexican and anti Asian tweets a few years back? I guess she’s all grown up and changed now. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Those who support trump turned the American flag into “their” flag based on his political and “patriotic” rhetoric.  I can certainly understand why the movement feels this way.  Since republicans act like we no longer are represented by “their” flag then it actually is no longer ours.  I’m white and I’m with the guy a few posts back - nothing but a piece of cloth….just depends whose carrying it or flying it determines my attitude about old glory. 
    Your last sentence, absolutely.

It means something to me because it meant a lot to my father (WWII vet). My mom too (immigrated from the Middle East).  Others not respecting it means nothing to me, neither to my connections to it, nor to my life.

I guess I’m not rabid one way or the other. I know what’s in my heart.  
    mickeyrat said:

watch this short video. Especially you @lindamarie73 .......

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Fuck the "reasonable person" bullshit, Trump Lover.
    If you support Trump you are not reasonable, you are a garbage person.  Not the occupation, the contents of your soul....

For the matter I fully support BLM and their right to protest and can understand why they came to hate the flag and what they associate it with.
    I have one flying but I do not blame them for how they feel.  If I lived the reality that  they live I would (for sure!) draw different assumptions and conclusions than I draw now.
    Will take the opportunity to ask people directly if they feel that I am a dickhead KKK / Trump supporter when they see it up -- and assure them that I am the opposite of a Trump Supporter/KKK fool. 
    That’s an awesome description