The Golf Thread

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    I'll be playing "The Augusta of the North" on Saturday...or so they call themselves.
    https://www.baywoodgreens.com/golf/courses#

Really beautiful course near my parents place in Delaware. It is always in pristine condition. 
    Looks nice.  I've played Deerfield a bunch of times over in Newark.  That's the old MBNA course.  It's decent now, but word is back in the heyday it was great.  My favorite course in that general area is Bulle Rock in Havre De Grace.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Walked Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes and Sheep Ranch today.  7am to 9pm with only a 30 minute break.  Exhausted.  So lucky to be here.  86-88-86 and ended with three para which I was stoked about.
    Walked Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes and Sheep Ranch today.  7am to 9pm with only a 30 minute break.  Exhausted.  So lucky to be here.  86-88-86 and ended with three para which I was stoked about.
    Isn't it like 110?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

That's awesome.  Do they make you get caddies there or can you do push carts if you want?
    edited July 2021
    It has been highs of about 65 degrees the whole time.   Somehow spared from the heat.

You don’t have to use a caddie.  I used a pushcart.  I requested a caddie my first two days but none were available.  Good news was I was paired with folks that did have caddies so got some knowledge that way but not the green reading.

About 18 miles of walking yesterday.  Canceled my morning round to relax.  I looked like a drunk person walking last night I was so tight and sore.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I can’t fathom playing three rounds in one day, let alone walking all three rounds. You’re an animal!

Do you have to walk or can you get a cart?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I can’t fathom playing three rounds in one day, let alone walking all three rounds. You’re an animal!

You have to walk the course. 
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I'm going in August.  Two 36 hole days in a row scheduled.  It's going to test my body's limits.  I can't imagine 54 in a day.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    edited July 2021
    ddeschler said:
    I'm going in August.  Two 36 hole days in a row scheduled.  It's going to test my body's limits.  I can't imagine 54 in a day.
    Which four courses are you playing?   Have you been before?  Playing Bandon Preserve this afternoon.  Taking it easy today and just doing that and spent a few hours at the practice facility.  

I started walking a lot and doing stairs about a month before my trip to get ready.
    It will be my first time there.  It's been at the top of my list of golf things to do for years.  I'm playing a US Mid-Am qualifier at Portland GC at the end of the trip (which looks like a sweet course, saw it on NLU Tourist Sauce Oregon trip).   I'm in pretty good shape, have run a couple half marathons in recent years.  But it's more the back that tightens up.  Not going to get to play Old Mac or Preserve.  But more reason to start planning the return trip.

08/20/2021 Pacific Dunes

08/20/2021 Bandon Trails

08/21/2021 Bandon Dunes

08/21/2021 Sheep Ranch

ddeschler said:
    It will be my first time there.  It's been at the top of my list of golf things to do for years.  I'm playing a US Mid-Am qualifier at Portland GC at the end of the trip (which looks like a sweet course, saw it on NLU Tourist Sauce Oregon trip).   I'm in pretty good shape, have run a couple half marathons in recent years.  But it's more the back that tightens up.  Not going to get to play Old Mac or Preserve.  But more reason to start planning the return trip.

08/20/2021 Pacific Dunes

08/20/2021 Bandon Trails

08/21/2021 Bandon Dunes

08/21/2021 Sheep Ranch

Well take it easy out there.  My left knee is shot right now.   Those four courses are the ones I would make sure to fit in first if I went back.  Sheep Ranch is the easiest walk of the four.  Good one to end on.  Has the most ocean views as well.   Have fun.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Guy drove onto an Atlanta golf course and killed 3 people...crazy  

Police discovered the truck still on the green and found the bodies of two men in the bed of the truck, the release said. Both victims also suffered apparent gunshot wounds, according to police.

So he also loaded the bodies onto his truck?

Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Guy drove onto an Atlanta golf course and killed 3 people...crazy  

Police discovered the truck still on the green and found the bodies of two men in the bed of the truck, the release said. Both victims also suffered apparent gunshot wounds, according to police.

So he also loaded the bodies onto his truck?

I live 5 minutes from this. Such a sad incident that's affected everyone here locally. 

When the guy drove onto the course, he already had the 2 dead bodies in the back of the truck. The golf pro was shot when he confronted the driver of the truck. The driver then fled on foot. Still hasn't been captured. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    edited July 2021

Damn. Do you use a push cart or do you carry your clubs?

I've only walked once. Would love to do it more often but my back can get jacked up so easily, I try to avoid that. Cart path only is pretty much the only walking I ever do. Did that on Saturday actually. 

Jojo---that story is nuts. How the hell has he not been caught yet??
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Got money on Phil/Brady. I can’t believe they’re the underdogs. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021
    Got money on Phil/Brady. I can’t believe they’re the underdogs. 
    Even with a normal hat,  Bryson is still douchy.  Phil has a broadcasting career should he want it. 

I've only walked once. Would love to do it more often but my back can get jacked up so easily, I try to avoid that. Cart path only is pretty much the only walking I ever do. Did that on Saturday actually. 

The course is surrounded by houses and a heavily wooded area. He's probably laying low somewhere. 

Starting to believe why they were the underdogs lol
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Brady is not very good.  Bad ball striker.

"Pfft.. and I got fired" - Barkley
    mrussel1 said:
    Brady is not very good.  Bad ball striker.

"Pfft.. and I got fired" - Barkley
    Guess I was just hoping he’d be better than Rodgers. Didn’t bet much of course since it’s a celebrity exhibition match. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I used a push cart. Easier on the back. 
    Played Spyglass today.  Kicked my ass.  96.  Greens super quick.  Playing again tomorrow and hoping to see some improvement.  

This is the most narrow green I have ever seen.  I bet it was 20 feet wide. Should have paced it.

91 at Pebble.  I started strong with a birdie at #5 to be 1 over.  From there I got an 8 on #6 and a 5 on #7.   Ugggg.  But got a par on 17 so was stoked about that.  Was a fun course.  Too bad not one you can come back to easily to get a second chance at a few holes.
    Pebble is the best.  My favorite course in the US that I've played.  (Haven't been to Bandon yet though!)

A 91 at Pebble sounds really really good. Bootlegger, I remember you saying your somewhere around a 15 handicap? Is that right? Because I am in that territory (little higher) but always thought I would just be well over a hundred at some of these courses you're playing lately. I guess they make them a lot more playable for amateurs when there are no tournaments on the horizon, but still....you're playing some great golf. So jealous of your last few weeks!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    A 91 at Pebble sounds really really good. Bootlegger, I remember you saying your somewhere around a 15 handicap? Is that right? Because I am in that territory (little higher) but always thought I would just be well over a hundred at some of these courses you're playing lately. I guess they make them a lot more playable for amateurs when there are no tournaments on the horizon, but still....you're playing some great golf. So jealous of your last few weeks!
    Yeah I think that's generally the case.  Some courses are hard as fuck no matter what.  I would guess Kiawah would be like that because of the wind.  I think others get cut back and it completely changes the playability.  When I played Torrey a few years ago, I shot in the low 80's, and that's when my handicap was up +15 or more.  I just found it pretty forgiving at the time, with playable rough. 
    Played a lot better at Bandon than in California.    I am about a 15.  Getting worse the past few weeks.  Ha.  At Bandon the fairways are pretty wide so the wind and fast greens are the tough part.  Choosing the correct tee to hit from makes a lot of difference.  I choose the tees that a 15 handicap should hit from.  If you can manage not to spray it off the tee and not hit into too many green side bunkers than breaking 100 or 95 is manageable and on a good day mid-80’s could happen.
    Played Pinehurst #5 a couple weeks ago. Was completely overwhelmed by Pinehurst and its facilities. If you're ever in the area take some time to stop by. The clubhouse is like a golf museum and their putting green is enormous! No joke. Putting green is the size of a couple Wal-Marts. Also discovered that Pinehurst #3 is the course that most resembles #2 if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for playing #2. 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Bryson has to be the most insufferable human on the planet

That's not juts any Cobra rep, THAT WAS HIS CADDIE LAST WEEK