America's Gun Violence

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Do you gun owners in the us still have cool phrases like “guns, god and family.” If not you need a cool phrase.  The god part I understand…keep playing with guns and you may get to meet god sooner or later…I mean if you believe in god.  Really, other than hunting why do these fuckers need guns…something in your personality has to be fucked up…really fucked up.  There are plenty of good, quality safe hobbies to choose from…
    I guess I'm "fucked up".  Thanks.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Do you gun owners in the us still have cool phrases like “guns, god and family.” If not you need a cool phrase.  The god part I understand…keep playing with guns and you may get to meet god sooner or later…I mean if you believe in god.  Really, other than hunting why do these fuckers need guns…something in your personality has to be fucked up…really fucked up.  There are plenty of good, quality safe hobbies to choose from…
    I do not care if you are offended…or if any gun owner is offended.   You don’t need guns other than for hunting…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A footnote in Ye Olde Booke of Duh, No. 1.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The vast majority of the world survives without armed citizens…

but hey freedom.  The freedom to randomly kill people is America these days…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited June 2021
    I do not care if you are offended…or if any gun owner is offended.   You don’t need guns other than for hunting…
    Hahaha ok. Read any headlines in NYC lately? Having a gun to protect your house is almost 100 percent necessary here lately. Where are you from? Canada right? Cool. I guess I should just let Police and CRIMINALS be the only ones allowed to have firearms. I’m all for way stricter gun laws. I thinks it is INSANE how easy it is to get a gun in some states. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    dankind said:
    A footnote in Ye Olde Booke of Duh, No. 1.
    lol.  I knew that was coming.
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hahaha ok. Read any headlines in NYC lately? Having a gun to protect your house is almost 100 percent necessary here lately. Where are you from? Canada right? Cool. I guess I should just let Police and CRIMINALS be the only ones allowed to have firearms. I’m all for way stricter gun laws. I thinks it is INSANE how easy it is to get a gun in some states. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4

To paraphrase Jim Jeffry, you own guns because you like guns…no other fucking reason…so stop the bullshit.  And the vast majority of use would shit your pants if a gun was pulled you…you wouldn’t have a clue.  Gun Ownership in the US does not equate to knowing how to properly use a gun in a panic situation…

Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm not offended at all is the thing.  You're obtuse comments are juvenile is all.  I had a FB buddy say "Fuck you and fuck your guns, unfriend me, blah blah blah" in general to the world.

I then said would you like to have a conversation about this?

FUCK NO!!!

He unfriended me.

That's a good way to get your message out there huh?  F you and unfriend someone?

It's reasons like this that we can't have a conversation.

Round and round we go...
    And if you are a so called responsible gun owner, your gun would be in safe…so please explain how you’d get the gun out of the safe if hoodlums come bursting in with guns drawn…lol. BS. LMFAO

And yes we have guns … the vast majority are hunting weapons.  Handguns are restricted and you can not transport a handgun to a range without notify the police and informing them of the route you are taking…you see if the please pull you over, they know you have a gun and are better prepared…the shootings and killings in Toronto are illegal guns likely smuggled in from the US..why don’t you better control the smuggling route to Canada…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    And if you are a so called responsible gun owner, your gun would be in safe…so please explain how you’d get the gun out of the safe if hoodlums come bursting in with guns drawn…lol. BS. LMFAO

And yes we have guns … the vast majority are hunting weapons.  Handguns are restricted and you can not transport a handgun to a range without notify the police and informing them of the route you are taking…you see if the please pull you over, they know you have a gun and are better prepared…the shootings and killings in Toronto are illegal guns likely smuggled in from the US..why don’t you better control the smuggling route to Canada…
    Each countries border protection gaurd against whats coming in. not whats leaving.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

This is America
    Guns in my area
    I got the strap
    I gotta carry em

Background checks blocked a record high 300,000 gun sales
    By LINDSAY WHITEHURST
    Today

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The number of people stopped from buying guns through the U.S. background check system hit an all-time high of more than 300,000 last year amid a surge of firearm sales, according to new records obtained by the group Everytown for Gun Safety.

The FBI numbers provided to The Associated Press show the background checks blocked nearly twice as many gun sales in 2020 as in the year before. About 42% of those denials were because the would-be buyers had felony convictions on their records.

The increase in blocked gun sales largely tracks with the record-setting surge in sales that took hold along with the coronavirus pandemic and has continued into this year, through historic demonstrations against police brutality, deep political divisions and an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

It comes as Congress has failed to pass major legislation on guns despite the Democratic majority and President Joe Biden's push. A bill that would strengthen background checks is stalled in the Senate. The House in March passed the legislation requiring the checks on all sales and transfers, as well as an expanded 10-day review for gun purchases. Most states require background checks only for sales at federally licensed dealers. But the legislation faces an uphill battle getting any Republican support in the Senate.

According to the data, the rate of barred would-be gun buyers also increased somewhat over the previous two years, from about 0.6% to 0.8%. That could be in part because many of the people who tried to get guns in 2020 were buying them for the first time and may not have been aware that they were legally barred from owning them, said Adam Winkler, a UCLA Law professor specializing in gun policy.

“Some may have a felony conviction on their record and not think about it,” he said.

Making a false statement in connection with a background check is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a hefty fine, but few people are prosecuted for what would amount to lying on the form filled out before a gun purchase, he said.

In 2017, just 12 of the 112,000 people denied a gun purchase, about 0.01%, were federally prosecuted, largely due to limited resources for the time-intensive investigations, according to a U.S. Government Accountability Office report.

Everytown’s research found that 16% of would-be gun buyers in 2020 were prohibited by state law, like the extreme-risk protection orders or red-flag laws passed in several states. Another 12% were related to domestic violence, either people subject to a protective order or convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence crime.

The data shows how necessary the legislation is, said Sarah Burd-Sharps, Everytown's director of research.

“There’s no question that background checks work, but the system is working overtime to prevent a record number of people with dangerous prohibitors from being able to buy firearms,” she said in a statement. “The loopholes in the law allow people to avoid the system, even if they just meet online or at a gun show for the first time.”

Gun rights groups have pushed back against the proposal, and Alan Gottlieb, founder of the group the Second Amendment Foundation, said the increase in denials might be partly because more states have been updating their records of restricted people. There are sometimes false positives as well, he said. “A day doesn’t go by that our office doesn’t get complaint calls from people who’ve been denied wrongly,” he said.

The data also comes as a growing number of conservative-leaning states drop requirements for people to get background checks and training to carry guns in public.

Texas last week became the latest state of about 20 to drop permitting requirements amid a push that began gathering steam several years ago. Gun rights groups say those requirements are an unfair burden for law-abiding gun owners, but firearm safety groups worry it’s a dangerous trend that will allow more firearms in the wrong hands.

Denial data is released by the FBI, but the information collected by Everytown breaks it down by year and includes data from states such as California and Florida, which conduct their own background checks.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    What do the following have in common?

Charles Whitman
    James Huberty
    Eric Harris
    Dylan Klebold
    Adam Lanza
    Nikolas Cruz
    Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa
    Stephen Paddock
    DeWayne Antonio Craddock
    Seung Hui Cho
    Sam Cassidy
    Dylan Roof
    Omar Mateen
    Patrick Crusius
    Jared Lee Loughner
    James Holmes
    John Salvi
    Michael McDermott
    Brandon Scott Hole
    Robert Aaron Long
    Robert Gregory Bowers

What other society tolerates this? What's the over/under? Where else does this occur? 'Murica.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Not every safe is a 1.5 ton fireproof safe in the basement.  They make approved gun safes just for that. They can be mounted to a wall, floor, anywhere. Big enough to hold a hand gun or two and use fingerprints to unlock or a 4 digit digital combo. Don’t see how it’s unreasonable to get into that in 20 or 30 seconds or probably less. Should be way more than enough time if there’s an intruder. Unless it’s a hitman assassination attempt gunning straight for your bedroom maybe. But just someone breaking in, your dog waking you up, hear some glass shatter, pretty much anything but a ninja assassination would be enough time.
    mace1229 said:

Not every safe is a 1.5 ton fireproof safe in the basement.  They make approved gun safes just for that. They can be mounted to a wall, floor, anywhere. Big enough to hold a hand gun or two and use fingerprints to unlock or a 4 digit digital combo. Don’t see how it’s unreasonable to get into that in 20 or 30 seconds or probably less. Should be way more than enough time if there’s an intruder. Unless it’s a hitman assassination attempt gunning straight for your bedroom maybe. But just someone breaking in, your dog waking you up, hear some glass shatter, pretty much anything but a ninja assassination would be enough time.
    How about a drone strike?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    mace1229 said:

I take out drones with my blow dart (it’s quieter) before they have a chance to launch their arsenal.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I take out drones with my blow dart (it’s quieter) before they have a chance to launch their arsenal.
    Sure

Brilliantati©
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2021
    mace1229 said:

20 or 30 seconds is a bit much.  Any acceptable biometric or digital bedside “quick” safe probably takes more like 3-5 seconds to retrieve whatever you might need.  In 20-30 seconds, one truly could run down to their basement fireproof safe, ha
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

20 or 30 seconds is a bit much.  Any acceptable biometric or digital bedside “quick” safe probably takes more like 3-5 seconds to retrieve whatever you might need.  In 20-30 seconds, one truly could run down to their basement fireproof safe, ha
    You’re right. I was saying 20-30 seconds taking into account what I would guess hearing a noise, waking up, registering what it was, deciding it was a threat and to get your firearm. Opening the safe itself is, like you said, just a couple seconds. But in reality, 5 seconds after hearing a window break I wouldnt expect anyone to be armed. 20-30 seconds after hearing a window break is very reasonable. And that is still more than enough time to defend yourself, which was my point.
    I would bet most people who are startled awake will take far more time to react because they were asleep…

if Americans wanna play with guns then it’s time to clear the prisons of the non-violent criminals and start sending people to jail for a good long time for breaking gun laws…but, just like the ship has sailed on stopping climate change its unlikely the US can ever get their gun problem under control…just too many guns in US streets…sad.  Maybe just cut the hands off of gun criminals…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    More guns. More “good guys” with guns. Clearly that’s the solution.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/26/us/arvada-colorado-police-shot-good-samaritan/index.html

Brilliantati©

Brilliantati©
    And unnecessarily shooting chipmunks…the Uncle is a dumb ass.  And the kid will grow up a dumb ass because of his uncle…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And unnecessarily shooting chipmunks…the Uncle is a dumb ass.  And the kid will grow up a dumb ass because of his uncle…

there is another possibility here....

we dont know one way or the other. but you go right ahead and stay on your high horse.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Yes please let’s see Texas deal with another freeze they could barely survive this past winter without crying for help from the fed! 
    So cool in TX this week!  Haven’t even had to use our central air.  I wish all of the northerners would stop being babies 👶 
    Sounds like just a group of “responsible” gun owners. Hope they weren’t headed to a large fire works display somewhere. ‘Murica. 

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/07/03/armed-standoff-with-police-shuts-down-part-of-i-95-in-wakefield/

Brilliantati©
    Sounds like just a group of “responsible” gun owners. Hope they weren’t headed to a large fire works display somewhere. ‘Murica. 

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/07/03/armed-standoff-with-police-shuts-down-part-of-i-95-in-wakefield/

http://www.riseofthemoors.org/

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:

http://www.riseofthemoors.org/

The Moops, the Moops!

Sorry, that ep was on last night 😛
This discussion has been closed.