Options

"Motion of no confidence" against Swedish Government

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,044
edited June 2021 in A Moving Train
On Thursday, the Left Party's long-running threat to topple the government culminated.

The party had given Prime Minister Stefan Löfven a "deadline" to give a positive message to the Left Party regarding not introducing market rents for newly produced rental apartments. When it did not arrive, Left-Part's leader Nooshi Dadgostar announced the following:

"The Left Party now lacks confidence in the government. Sweden is in a completely new situation. We will seek the Moderates (right wing/conservative party) and The Christian Democrats  (right wing/conservative party) to get a vote of no confidence," she says.

Spiritual_Chaos commentary: 
This was a "red line" not to cross for The Left Party when they voted for this government back in 2019. The sad thing is, that this will now for sure lead to a right wing government with support from the racist pupulist party Swedish Democrats in next years election. The Right-Wing parties has accepted the support from the Swedish Democrats in their pursuit of power, something that untill now all parties in parliment had refused to do. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So let me get this straight…your government will fall over affordable housing.   What a concept.  Someone actually cares is
    If people can afford to live?  Here in Canada housing is no longer affordable for the average person…keep me posted.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So let me get this straight…your government will fall over affordable housing.   What a concept.  Someone actually cares is
    If people can afford to live?  Here in Canada housing is no longer affordable for the average person…keep me posted.
    Yes. In Sweden rents of apartments are not part of a free market - but heavily regulated. But obviously the liberal and right winged parties want's it to be free and have the market decide.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The Left Party: Remove the proposition to introduce market rents, or you will lose our votes that this government was based on.

The Government: Our new proposition is that, the parties of the housing market (the Tenants Association and the Property Owners) will get a chanse to come to an agreement themselves but if they do not come to the conlusion that is "market rents" we will introduce it anyways.

The Left Party: Well, a motion for no confidence it is!

Vote has just passed. So now, the Prime Minister can choose to step down and parliament can see if support exists for a different government or there will be a new election.

First time this has happened in Sweden.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Rent Is Too Damn High Party has clout in Sweden! 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dankind said:
    Lets just hope market economy-loons don't storm our parliament over this.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Yes, that would certainly take Sweden off the "places to relocate" list. Although, to be fair, it's already pretty far down the list because of its 10 months of winter, which is one more month of winter than my present location in Massachusetts.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Yes, that would certainly take Sweden off the "places to relocate" list. Although, to be fair, it's already pretty far down the list because of its 10 months of winter, which is one more month of winter than my present location in Massachusetts.
    "Winter" 

No need to be so generous. 

Rainy shit fall. Winter comes for a week in february/march.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,983
    When ive been to Sweden its been summer. I went for a walk at 3 a.m it was like midday. Most odd
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,201
    So the argument against rent controls, is that it creates waitlists for housing?  What's it like trying to find rentals in sweden right now?

I suppose the issue I find scary here in North America is corporate ownership of homes.   It used to be more prevalent in the US, but it's in Canada now.  Where corporations buy up a bunch of real estate, only to rent it out, and profit from the income.   Between that and individuals using secondary properties for rentals, it's sort of shifting ownership to renting for younger generations.  So they'll never pay if off, always be paying for housing.

Anyways, yah, I was curious if there was actually a problem in Sweden that needs to be addressed, or what this politicians being politicians?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Zod said:
    So the argument against rent controls, is that it creates waitlists for housing?  What's it like trying to find rentals in sweden right now?

I suppose the issue I find scary here in North America is corporate ownership of homes.   It used to be more prevalent in the US, but it's in Canada now.  Where corporations buy up a bunch of real estate, only to rent it out, and profit from the income.   Between that and individuals using secondary properties for rentals, it's sort of shifting ownership to renting for younger generations.  So they'll never pay if off, always be paying for housing.

Anyways, yah, I was curious if there was actually a problem in Sweden that needs to be addressed, or what this politicians being politicians?

I am no expert on this, but from what I know living here:

There are fore sure problems finding an apartment with "long" waiting lines in many places, with it being the hardest in the bigger cities (obviously) and where you want to live in the city. Central Sthlm is "impossible" unless you buy an apartment. 

This is due to not enough apartments being build, but also there has been a problem with apartments that have once been for renting instead being turned into condominiums.

In Sweden we have "municipal housing companies" and private property owners renting out apartments, but all rents are reached through agreements between the Property Owners Association and the Tenants Association.  

Everyone across the spectrum agrees that more apartments have to be built. It has been a talking point since I was a child. The Rights argument is that no one will build unless they can make more money off it, so therefore we need to put rents on a free market. The Left argument is that we need to support investing in building - like government infrastructure support etc, and is against leaving the "swedish model" of rental control.

But obviously this is not just a sane, objective view of what needs to be done - it is also value/politically driven - The Right wants to push everything out on the free market while The Left wants to keep the "swedish model" of having the backbone of society needed by people to be owned by the people and not run for profit - education, health care, "housing". They are slowly loosing this battle though, education and health care are more and more being pushed out on the free market - and the Pharmacies was privatized like 10 years ago.

Seems we are going to have a a new election, with just a year left till the ordinary election.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,201
    Zod said:

I am no expert on this, but from what I know living here:

There are fore sure problems finding an apartment with "long" waiting lines in many places, with it being the hardest in the bigger cities (obviously) and where you want to live in the city. Central Sthlm is "impossible" unless you buy an apartment. 

This is due to not enough apartments being build, but also there has been a problem with apartments that have once been for renting instead being turned into condominiums.

In Sweden we have "municipal housing companies" and private property owners renting out apartments, but all rents are reached through agreements between the Property Owners Association and the Tenants Association.  

Everyone across the spectrum agrees that more apartments have to be built. It has been a talking point since I was a child. The Rights argument is that no one will build unless they can make more money off it, so therefore we need to put rents on a free market. The Left argument is that we need to support investing in building - like government infrastructure support etc, and is against leaving the "swedish model" of rental control.

But obviously this is not just a sane, objective view of what needs to be done - it is also value/politically driven - The Right wants to push everything out on the free market while The Left wants to keep the "swedish model" of having the backbone of society needed by people to be owned by the people and not run for profit - education, health care, "housing". They are slowly loosing this battle though, education and health care are more and more being pushed out on the free market - and the Pharmacies was privatized like 10 years ago.

Seems we are going to have a a new election, with just a year left till the ordinary election.

It does feel like a no win scenario.  Here in Canada housing&rental prices are spiraling out of control.   Many reasons why.   We've drastically dialed up immigration over the past 10 to 15 years because we weren't having enough kids, and there weren't going to be enough taxpayers to fund social programs (like healthcare) for our aging population.   Building doesn't seem to have kept up with population increase.   Then we've got people buying properties for investment slowing converting ownership homes to rental homes kind of thing.

It does all come down to the same thing.  Not enough homes to go around.    The sad part is we so much land here, but much of our country isn't really that hospitable to live in for 8 or 9 months of the year.

I'm not sure either side is right.  Social Housing vs. Free Market.   Here in Canada I think we need bigger measures.  Incentives to build more, no corporate ownership.  Restriction on foreign ownership.  Restriction on our own population to how many homes they can own etc....  I believe we past the point of no return.   I don't think we could build enough social housing to address the issue.  It'll be interesting to see how Sweden works out this issue.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The Prime Minister resigns, instead of deciding on a new election. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,983
    I wish ours would

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I wish ours would

Chances are, now when he has given the speaker of the house the responsibility to find a new government within parliament, that he will return as Prime Minister. 

Unless all the liberal/right winged parties agrees to form government with the far-right-racist party.