2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited June 2021

Come on…I always think of LA when I think of hockey … he he

vegas v Habs.  Paciority against his old team.  Suzuki vs what was suppose to be his future team…shall be fun.

2 future hall of fame goalies…Fleury 2 cups, Price 2 Olympic golds.  Fun.

oldest franchise v youngest franchise

montreal chancing cup 25 and Vegas chasing cup 1
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    how can you not like vegas?

no russians!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Congrats Wobert.
    I'm not making up that I don't like Vegas.  Fuck that place.  One of the best things about last year was that for probably the first time in 20+ years I did not have to go to Vegas.  In 2019 I think I was there for nearly three weeks 
    So....so, so, so, so, so done with that place.  
    I know you liked it there.  Put your Golden Showers sweater on and go back!  :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope.  The loophole should be closed though.  But I have little faith in buttface from the nba doing the right thing

Easiest fix is LTIR includes the playoffs. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope.  The loophole should be closed though.  But I have little faith in buttface from the nba doing the right thing

Yes, but have the owners or commissioner even said that what the Lightning did even violates the spirit of their intent?  I have not seen that.  The league evaluated that Kuch's surgery and recovery were in line with what you would expect from hip surgery.  As far as I know, all this hand wringing and assumptions are from the media and some fans, not the actual league.  As the article notes, five other teams were over the salary cap using the same process.  They averaged 5 MM over.  Lightning were 8.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, but have the owners or commissioner even said that what the Lightning did even violates the spirit of their intent?  I have not seen that.  The league evaluated that Kuch's surgery and recovery were in line with what you would expect from hip surgery.  As far as I know, all this hand wringing and assumptions are from the media and some fans, not the actual league.  As the article notes, five other teams were over the salary cap using the same process.  They averaged 5 MM over.  Lightning were 8.  
    The owners will not speak publicly.  The owners prefer to keep things quiet…this also may be an issue that must be dealt with the CBA….so why would the owners distract from the the Stanley Cup playoffs for an issue that can only be dealt with at contract time…and the NHLPA don’t care…like any union it means more money in their pocket and good for the players as well.  It is what it is.  Just like Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh…eventually Tampa will fall victim to the cap…that is unless they got Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman running the team…but Pollack has passed on.  But thats the idea of the cap…parity and no dynasties…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think that could be a golden opportunity for Montreal…stick Price on LTIR after the Olympics and load up the roster..But quite honestly Montreal is to classy of an organization to do that…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think that could be a golden opportunity for Montreal…stick Price on LTIR after the Olympics and load up the roster..But quite honestly Montreal is to classy of an organization to do that…
    sure yeah, it's the class that would keep them from doing it, not the massive fines and draft picks if they were caught stashing healthy players on the LTIR, which is explicitly against the rules.  

Yes, Tampa will fall victim to the cap at some point.  That's just the way it is when you have young players that you develop and then need to get paid.  But they have been riding it for close to a decade now.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    mrussel1 said:
    sure yeah, it's the class that would keep them from doing it, not the massive fines and draft picks if they were caught stashing healthy players on the LTIR, which is explicitly against the rules.  

Right? 

lol
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mrussel1 said:

Yep.  But I don't blame Tampa for taking advantage of an awful rule.  It's like when teams used to backload the contracts with 4-5 years at like 500K per year to bring down the AAV for the cap hit.  Teams will do anything they can to win.  There's a reason stuff like this only happens in the NHL....his name is Gary Bettman.
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, Tampa will fall victim to the cap at some point.  That's just the way it is when you have young players that you develop and then need to get paid.  But they have been riding it for close to a decade now.  
    Hate to break it to you…Price doesn’t make it through a full season without some major time missed…lol.  He finished this year sidelined until the playoffs…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    They definitely need to seal that up, just like they did with the backloaded contracts and burying guys in the AHL.

I also think there needs to be some sort of index-adjustment for state/provincial/country income tax as well.  That is another pretty big advantage Tampa Bay has with the cap/attracting/retaining players.
    mrussel1 said:

Yep.  But I don't blame Tampa for taking advantage of an awful rule.  It's like when teams used to backload the contracts with 4-5 years at like 500K per year to bring down the AAV for the cap hit.  Teams will do anything they can to win.  There's a reason stuff like this only happens in the NHL....his name is Gary Bettman.
    I don’t blame Tampa other than the fact that the cap benefits them more than most other franchises…does Tampa even try to show a profit?

I agree Bettman is the problem..Worst commissioner in all of sports..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    MayDay10 said:
    They definitely need to seal that up, just like they did with the backloaded contracts and burying guys in the AHL.

I also think there needs to be some sort of index-adjustment for state/provincial/country income tax as well.  That is another pretty big advantage Tampa Bay has with the cap/attracting/retaining players.
    The tax thing is interesting as well.  Does’t Vegas benefit with lower taxes?  You guys drafting the Michigan kid?  Do know if he’s NHL ready?  Any word on if Eickel stays or gets traded?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think we can all agree that’s it’s time to just enjoy some good hockey…No matter who you root for…good luck in the final 4.  I’m just happy Montreal is there…

I think there may be changes in Colorado?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:

I don’t blame Tampa other than the fact that the cap benefits them more than most other franchises…does Tampa even try to show a profit?

I have to laugh at this because for years the Bucs were the worst team in football, yet one of the most profitable.  Culverhouse had no interest in winning, only wanted to maximize profits.  It wasn't until the Glazer's took over and started spending money did things change.  So whether the Bolts show a profit or not matters not to me.  It's about winning to them.  And yes, the lack of state income tax is a huge benefit.  I agree.  It also should help the Stars, Preds, Panthers, etc. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:

The tax thing is interesting as well.  Does’t Vegas benefit with lower taxes?  You guys drafting the Michigan kid?  Do know if he’s NHL ready?  Any word on if Eickel stays or gets traded?

There is a bit of debate, a lot of fans wanted Beniers, but Powers' World Championship performance has kind of made him the consensus I think.  Now the debate is where does he play?  Physically he is NHL ready, but everything else...  I wish he could play in the AHL, but he cant.  I loathe the NCAA as a development league.  

The general word out of here is that Eichel is a goner, and probably Reinhart too.  I have wanted them to trade Eichel for a few years as I think its clear he is/has been a lockerroom cancer, a terrible captain, and generally a brat.  We have been counting down on him melting down on the team/org for awhile and now he cratered his value.  I also think there are injury concerns.  He has been hurt a few times in training camp, non-contact (hurt his ribs in a 'shooting drill' apparently this year).  He had an ab injury last year that he somehow couldnt heal over a 9 month offseason, and now this neck shit.  

If I am another NHL team, I am only trading for Eichel if I have an established veteran leadership hierarchy who will grab him by the throat and put him in his place on the first day.  Typically, those teams dont have $10 million in cap space, so it may be tough.  

edited June 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have to laugh at this because for years the Bucs were the worst team in football, yet one of the most profitable.  Culverhouse had no interest in winning, only wanted to maximize profits.  It wasn't until the Glazer's took over and started spending money did things change.  So whether the Bolts show a profit or not matters not to me.  It's about winning to them.  And yes, the lack of state income tax is a huge benefit.  I agree.  It also should help the Stars, Preds, Panthers, etc. 
    Comparing the NFL to the NHL lol.  The NFL is printing money…he, he.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

There is a bit of debate, a lot of fans wanted Beniers, but Powers' World Championship performance has kind of made him the consensus I think.  Now the debate is where does he play?  Physically he is NHL ready, but everything else...  I wish he could play in the AHL, but he cant.  I loathe the NCAA as a development league.  

The general word out of here is that Eichel is a goner, and probably Reinhart too.  I have wanted them to trade Eichel for a few years as I think its clear he is/has been a lockerroom cancer, a terrible captain, and generally a brat.  We have been counting down on him melting down on the team/org for awhile and now he cratered his value.  I also think there are injury concerns.  He has been hurt a few times in training camp, non-contact (hurt his ribs in a 'shooting drill' apparently this year).  He had an ab injury last year that he somehow couldnt heal over a 9 month offseason, and now this neck shit.  

If I am another NHL team, I am only trading for Eichel if I have an established veteran leadership hierarchy who will grab him by the throat and put him in his place on the first day.  Typically, those teams dont have $10 million in cap space, so it may be tough.  

Interesting…could be Eichel is a bust at this point.  Why can’t he be assigned to AHL…or Is he staying in college after being drafted?  Cole Caufield stayed in college for another 2 years and he looks very much an NHL player…he has a great shot a playmaker and is a decent defensive forward…and his defensive aspect is what I’m most impressed with…he was also coached by Tony Granato so that surely helped.

i don’t follow US College hockey…and the OHL did not play this season…drafting players from the O could be a gamble…

Building a winner is not easy.  I’ve been waiting 27 years…he he.  But I have the memory of seeing 6 Cups and a wealth of hall of fame talent  go through Montreal…

Too bad Buffalo named their head coach…Gerard Gallants is on the rise again…he would have been a good fit. 

Cheers to the Sabres.  I hope this Michigan kid is the answer and someone to build around…Tomas Tatar would be a good fit…won’t be expensive … he can be streaky though.  Montreal will likely not resign him.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2182285

Projected No. 1 pick Power leaning towards return to Michigan next season

Owen Power, projected No. 1 overall pick for the upcoming 2021 NHL draft, is leaning towards playing another NCAA season at Michigan instead of turning pro.

"I think right now I'm probably leaning more towards going back to school," Power said during an interview with NHL Network on Friday.

"It's something I'd like to do, try and get the true experience of playing college hockey. At the end of the day, it obviously depends on what the team wants and what everyone around me thinks is best. I don't think there's really a bad option."

Central Scouting labeled Power the top North American skater heading to the draft in their final rankings in May. The 18-year-old defenseman had 16 points in 26 games for the Wolverines this past season and won gold with Canada at the world championship in Latvia.

The Buffalo Sabres, Seattle Kraken, and Anaheim Ducks hold the top three picks in this year's draft.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Congrats Wobert.
    I'm not making up that I don't like Vegas.  Fuck that place.  One of the best things about last year was that for probably the first time in 20+ years I did not have to go to Vegas.  In 2019 I think I was there for nearly three weeks 
    So....so, so, so, so, so done with that place.  
    I know you liked it there.  Put your Golden Showers sweater on and go back!  :lol:

it’s a fucked up place but so many transplants I think they do understand/love hockey. petrangello says it’s probably the best place to play in the NHL...I assume he’s talking culture/ fans/facilities/organization.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Comparing the NFL to the NHL lol.  The NFL is printing money…he, he.
    The point is prioritizing winning vs profit. But your criticism of the lightning,  questioning whether they even turn a profit,  is silly.  Montreal is a great historic franchise,  but the Lightning have been a superior organization to Montreal on the ice,  where it matters,  for the past 20 years.  Easily. 
    cutz said:

Owen Power, projected No. 1 overall pick for the upcoming 2021 NHL draft, is leaning towards playing another NCAA season at Michigan instead of turning pro.

"I think right now I'm probably leaning more towards going back to school," Power said during an interview with NHL Network on Friday.

"It's something I'd like to do, try and get the true experience of playing college hockey. At the end of the day, it obviously depends on what the team wants and what everyone around me thinks is best. I don't think there's really a bad option."

Central Scouting labeled Power the top North American skater heading to the draft in their final rankings in May. The 18-year-old defenseman had 16 points in 26 games for the Wolverines this past season and won gold with Canada at the world championship in Latvia.

The Buffalo Sabres, Seattle Kraken, and Anaheim Ducks hold the top three picks in this year's draft.

He might want a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL or he’ll just stay in college…
    Give Peas A Chance…

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today that it will reveal winners of 2021 NHL Awards presented by Bridgestone throughout the 2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals and Stanley Cup Final. 

Beginning this Monday, June 14, NBC Sports, Sportsnet and TVA Sports will announce winners during their pregame or in-game windows for the 2021 Stanley Cup Semifinals. Those announcements will be followed by media availabilities with each winner during the first intermission of the respective games. 

The daily schedule, which is outlined below (with finalists noted in parentheses), will culminate with a 30-minute program during the 2021 Stanley Cup Final that will reveal the winners of the five remaining awards: the Calder Memorial Trophy, Hart Memorial Trophy, James Norris Memorial Trophy, Ted Lindsay Award and Vezina Trophy. More details on that show will be shared in the coming weeks. 

All dates below are subject to change. More details on each award/finalist can be found in the 2021 NHL Awards presented by Bridgestone Information Guide, which is available on the Media site. 

Monday, June 14: King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Kurtis GabrielPekka RinneP.K. Subban

Tuesday, June 15: Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (Matt DumbaOskar LindblomPatrick Marleau

Wednesday, June 16: Willie O'Ree Community Hero Award presented by MassMutual (Renee Hess, Kevin Hodgson, Howard Smith) 

Thursday, June 17: Jack Adams Award (Rod Brind'Amour, Dean Evason, Joel Quenneville) 

Friday, June 18: Frank J. Selke Trophy (Aleksander BarkovPatrice BergeronMark Stone

Saturday, June 19: Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (Auston MatthewsJaccob SlavinJared Spurgeon

Sunday, June 20: Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award (Voting for this award is conducted after the Second Round of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The three finalists will be announced June 17.) 

Monday, June 21: Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award (No finalists) 

During 2021 Stanley Cup Final

Calder Memorial Trophy (Kirill KaprizovAlex NedeljkovicJason Robertson)

Hart Memorial Trophy (Nathan MacKinnonAuston MatthewsConnor McDavid)

James Norris Memorial Trophy (Adam FoxVictor HedmanCale Makar)

Ted Lindsay Award (Sidney CrosbyAuston MatthewsConnor McDavid)

Vezina Trophy (Marc-Andre FleuryPhilipp GrubauerAndrei Vasilevskiy)

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    cutz said:

He might want a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL or he’ll just stay in college…
    Or he might not want to go to Buffalo
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

Wouldn’t they retain his rights?  He’ll have to join Buffalo at some point unless he’s going to go play in a Euro league, which is highly improbable.
    Teams retain the rights to college players for 30 days after college, he either signs or is a UFA.

Teams retain the rights to CHL players for 2 years, either they sign, go back in the draft or if they are over 20 they are UFA.

With Buffalo having the number 1 pick they should be able to gauge his interest in playing in Buffalo.

Powers is from Mississauga, On….I doubt he’d turn down an opportunity to play close to home…

Powers is a real good player now.  He was excellent for Canada in the worlds…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

Wouldn’t they retain his rights?  He’ll have to join Buffalo at some point unless he’s going to go play in a Euro league, which is highly improbable.
    Wondering if he's putting out the return to college story so maybe Beefalo doesn't draft him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

Wondering if he's putting out the return to college story so maybe Beefalo doesn't draft him.
    Have you even read what Power said?  He basically is saying “ returning to college is a possibility, but he’ll do what the team ask him.”  Does not sound like he is trying to get Buffalo Disinterested.”  If he’s the best player then Buffalo needs to draft him because their fans deserve to have the best player picked with the number 1 pick…and if Buffalo is not interested in the best player, then they need to trade the pick and get as much help as possible…but they’d be nuts to pass on him…he’s. 6’5” dman who had already shown he can play with nhl players.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Islanders draw first.  
    Give Peas A Chance…