Formula One Freaks-this is it!

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited May 2021
    Good to see the standings shaken up, makes the next races more interesting, and very glad for Max as I am a Honda fan.  But what a boring race.  No tire or pit strategy, no passing, no safety car, lapped cars, etc.  Yawn.  Parade of fancy race cars through the streets of a fancy town.  Time for F1 to make changes at this race.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    ^^^
    I agree, this race is traditionally a boring parade, but Perez and Vettel both stayed out longer and overcut Hamilton. And the pit crew or wheel problems cost Bottas his race.
    some of the commentators had it right by saying there are a variety of tracks and you have to perform well on all if you want to be champ

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    Gasly had a great race, as did the Aston Martins.  And what about Giovinazzi?  I am starting to like him. Just hard to watch the round and round. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    I agree 
     So boring.
    Racing needs over taking , Its what  racing  is.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    what a crazy race
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I feel really sorry for Max. He’d had a perfect race before the tyre let go.
    Can’t believe Lewis binned it on the restart!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Crazy race indeed. Baku always delivers some drama, but that was ridiculous.  With that many red flags, something needs to change.

Ya, I didn’t really like coming back for just two laps, should have been a rolling start at least.
    fortunately Max and Lewis both ended up with zero points so they are still in the same place
    good for Perez, Seb and Gasly
    and Kimi got a point woot woot
    Amazing Stroll walked away from that crash, that was a nasty banger.

Hard to believe that we have kept this thread going for 10+ years!  Thanks for all the comments and the nonsense! It's like one long silly season! And I still loathe Ferrari  =)
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Get_Right said:
    Hard to believe that we have kept this thread going for 10+ years!  Thanks for all the comments and the nonsense! It's like one long silly season! And I still loathe Ferrari  =)
    It won't be long till all you "broken arrows" fans start singing this hit, again: I See Red! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    That was a nail biter.

I think Bottas will be somewhere else next year
    My daughter on the mercedes boss: "must suck to be named after the dog in the Wizard of Oz."  =)   One thing is clear after that race.  Red Bull definitely has the pace to win it all.  Can't believe the strategic errors that Mercedes is making. Fun race.  Stripes were a bit annoying but I like the old school feel of that track.

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Get_Right said:
    My daughter on the mercedes boss: "must suck to be named after the dog in the Wizard of Oz."  =)   One thing is clear after that race.  Red Bull definitely has the pace to win it all.  Can't believe the strategic errors that Mercedes is making. Fun race.  Stripes were a bit annoying but I like the old school feel of that track.

Yeah it's a bit weird the mistakes they've been making.  I also feel like it's the first real championship pressure they've had to deal with since Rosberg won.  Also weird that Hamilton didn't put up a fight when Verstappen was passing him.
    Rygar said:
    Get_Right said:

Yeah it's a bit weird the mistakes they've been making.  I also feel like it's the first real championship pressure they've had to deal with since Rosberg won.  Also weird that Hamilton didn't put up a fight when Verstappen was passing him.
    Hamilton was just nursing the car home, and was in no position to race with Max on the mediums and with full DRS. Agree RedBull has Mercedes on the ropes and Mercedes is acting punchy!  Very exciting.  Cant want for the next round!

Well that was boring. Cannot wait for next year.
    I hate when the majority of the field gets lapped

Boring indeed. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Yeah not great. I am not a huge fan of that track, it is almost too small for F1.
    Some nice racing(despite the penalties), let the guys race
    you know Mercedes will be putting everything into Silverstone for a Hammy victory 
    That's the Ferrari spirit! :bow: Feisty till the last round! :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited July 2021
    erebus said:
    Some nice racing (despite the penalties)
    Which were all 100% correct. That Perez guy should have been penalised with a 10-sec stop-go.
    Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that race.  I want them to race, but "forcing" another driver off track is very dangerous. Again, just no space on that track for the modern F1 cars. At least the stewards were consistent. Very happy for Honda's success and for the competition amongst many more drivers this year. And what about Riccardo throwing dirt on LeClerc?  I think he did that at least twice. Not sure it was intentional but it sure looked like he was aiming for that spot.  
    Well, that was some weekend at Silverstone.  Qualifying Friday, for a sprint on Saturday, which determines the grid for Sunday.  I liked it.  First few laps of the sprint was nuts! And the battle on Sunday was insane. Max's crash looked scary.  Glad he walked away from that.  Not sure about the penalty for Lewis, looked like clean racing to me when I watch it at full speed.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I feel a little sorry for Leclerc, he led every lap apart from the last 2 but was hunted down. Great drive from Lewis to win it after a penalty.

Max's crash did look really scary, they said it was a 51G impact. I don't think Christian Horner did himself any favours though, whining like a child in his interviews. "I hope Lewis is happy with himself" just sounded really bitchy. If it had gone the other way he would be praising Max.

It looked like a racing incident, Lewis saw a gap and went for it. An aggressive move yes, but Max is an aggressive driver who has forced his way through smaller gaps than that in the past.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2021
    Get_Right said:
    I agree somewhat, but shouldn't the area of the incident be taken into account as well? 
    This wasn't a slow corner. The result of a potential impact should weigh on both drivers. For me, it's a racing incident in most cases, but in that corner, I believe Hamilton should have backed out because the result could have been worse.

Post edited by eddiec on
    eddiec said:
    Get_Right said:
    I agree somewhat, but shouldn't the area of the incident be taken into account as well? 
    This wasn't a slow corner. The result of a potential impact should weigh on both drivers. For me, it's a racing incident in most cases, but in that corner, I believe Hamilton should have backed out because the result could have been worse.

Aggressive driving by both drivers in a high speed corner. Your logic being that since it is one of the fastest corners there was no way they could have gone through side by side and since Max was ahead Lewis needed to back off or otherwise yield to the racing line? That makes some sense to me but when I watch it, Lewis was not that far from the inside and it just seems like Max thought he was clear but wasn't. It is not like Lewis drifted into the middle of the track to push Max wide (like he did with Leclerc).
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Wow. Not happy with Bottas, but it's made this one hell of a crazy race.
    edited August 2021
    yes, crazy start. We will see some backfielders getting some points today

Red Bull has no luck. If you can’t beat them, take them out lol. (I kid) just like Ferrari in the past lol

i would prefer to see Max and Hammie going head to head, not losing points to incidents, but that’s racing

Post edited by erebus on
    Great  race
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07