I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    Anyone planning any purchases for RSD? I almost forgot it's this upcoming weekend....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Anyone planning any purchases for RSD? I almost forgot it's this upcoming weekend....
    I’d really like the Police live records along with Two Against Nature from Steely Dan.  The reality is that there a ton of good options this time around, many more than in recent years for me. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 
    King’s X - Please Come Here… Mr. Bulbous 
    Mark Lanegan - Here Comes That Weird Chill
    Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto: The Custodian’s Mix

I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

Custodians mix? So the taper did his own mix but the one we listen to is the pro mix? Interesting. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

Custodians mix? So the taper did his own mix but the one we listen to is the pro mix? Interesting. 
    From the RSD website:

This newly-unearthed 1968 recording was the buzz of the jazz world in 2020 and one of the biggest points of interest has been the identity of the unnamed high school janitor who recorded this extraordinary concert. For the album’s release Grandmixer DXT worked his magic to bring the audio from the concert into the 21st century. Palo Alto: The Custodian's Mix uses the audio from the original tape to put you in that high school auditorium in October 1968 and lets you feel what it was like to be in the room. Additionally, Thelonious Monk’s signature will be etched into the runout groove.

01. Ruby, My Dear
    02. Well, You Needn’t 
    03. Don’t Blame Me 
    04. Blue Monk 
    05. Epistrophy 
    06. I Love You Sweetheart of All My Dreams

I didn’t know who this mixer was. Wikipedia:
    Widely recognized as a pioneer, Grand Mixer DXT is credited as being the first turntablist. He was the first person to establish the turntable as a fully performable and improvisational musical instrument 

I am just really curious how good this will sound. Could be a real special record. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

I am totally happy with the first issue of Palo Alto.  It sounds great to me.  No need for another! 
    I've grown rather skeptical about RSD.  So much of what gets put out either ends up as flipper's paradise or to linger for all eternity in the cut out bins.  I have some copies of a couple of RSD singles (Horror and Chris Stamey) that I bought dirt cheap when Dimples Records went out of business and have had them at the bookstore for sale at a reasonable price for years now.  The chances of selling any of either one are very, very thin.  And so much of the RSD stuff is either negligibly altered reissues targeted to rabid collectors who want to have everything an artist ever recorded (Jimi Hendrix would pitch a fit over this) or subpar outtakes that get played once and then collect dust on shelves.  Oh well, it a business and trendy things I suppose. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    Echo and the Bunnymen live 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Couple very nice 6 eye monos. Near perfect condition, from the bins this morning.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

I am totally happy with the first issue of Palo Alto.  It sounds great to me.  No need for another! 
    I've grown rather skeptical about RSD.  So much of what gets put out either ends up as flipper's paradise or to linger for all eternity in the cut out bins.  I have some copies of a couple of RSD singles (Horror and Chris Stamey) that I bought dirt cheap when Dimples Records went out of business and have had them at the bookstore for sale at a reasonable price for years now.  The chances of selling any of either one are very, very thin.  And so much of the RSD stuff is either negligibly altered reissues targeted to rabid collectors who want to have everything an artist ever recorded (Jimi Hendrix would pitch a fit over this) or subpar outtakes that get played once and then collect dust on shelves.  Oh well, it a business and trendy things I suppose. 
    Weren’t you all over the Dinosaur Jr live RSD release last year? You are telling me you didn’t have all those songs already? 😂. Wasn’t it you who posted you “have everything they released”? 
    My goodness, Hendrix is pitching a fit right now blux 🙄

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin companion LP is on my list, maybe the Alive 12" and Joe Strummer but they are just because I collect Pearl Jam and Clash related stuff. Its all over priced stuff I dont really need tbh so wont be getting up stupidly early, just going to see what I can get when I casually drop in to my local.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    I though I saw lee scratch perry. Will have to look again. I really just want to go back to a store, get the 'feebies'cool bag, posters and drop some cash I don't have on records I dont need!!  
    I loved the buzz of waiting on an actual line with other freaks. Maybe that's over for me. Who knows!! Hope everyone has fun and gets some fresh wax...
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    A few pickups from the weekend. The price of records in New Zealand is outrageous… everything really is about double the price of in the states. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    Last weeks acquisitions. Some to keep, some to sell. Highlights are a Spanish Dead Kennedys Plastic Surgery Disasters in great shape (a rarity because nothing from Spain is ever in good condition), a Clash gold stamp
    promo, Zep deluxe Physical Graffiti, a German UFO Live, and the latest X album. The biggest score wasn't a record but an original Bowie Young Americans promo poster. 

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

Weren’t you all over the Dinosaur Jr live RSD release last year? You are telling me you didn’t have all those songs already? 😂. Wasn’t it you who posted you “have everything they released”? 

Well, yes, there are exceptions... Dino, Jimi...
    Damn it... I hate it when I'm called on my shit.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

... but in a way I kind of like it too.  It keeps me honest.   righton

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

but he didn't get that dino jr himself......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    brianlux said:

.There was some truth to your points, but there are some records that don’t fall into those stereotypes.  Those 3 King’s X RSD releases this year have never been available on vinyl before, for instance. RSD is part of the reason local record stores are thriving now, when 8-10 years ago they were closing or struggling. It’s a good news story for them and the artists who make the records.  

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

It’s still an RSD release and he’s still a (self-admitted) completist. Doesn’t matter how he got the record. 
    edited June 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

True, and it was a HUGE gift! 
    brianlux said:

.There was some truth to your points, but there are some records that don’t fall into those stereotypes.  Those 3 King’s X RSD releases this year have never been available on vinyl before, for instance. RSD is part of the reason local record stores are thriving now, when 8-10 years ago they were closing or struggling. It’s a good news story for them and the artists who make the records.  

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m looking for these:
    Gruntruck - Push
    King’s X - Tape Head 

It’s still an RSD release and he’s still a (self-admitted) completist. Doesn’t matter how he got the record. 

Actually, there is one J record I don't have and may never get.  
    So anyway, yes, for the most part I'm glad local record stores are doing well, especially those who shy away from those shady knock labels that press crap LPs- often sourced from CD's and other crappy digital or needle drop sources (unless there is no other source)- and focus on carrying good used vinyl and quality reissues.  
    But I think it's kind of lame that it takes a promotion of mostly inferior platters to draw people in.  It also bugs me that there are so many vinyl newbies that don't know the difference or don't even know there is a difference between quality and shitty knock off vinyl .  I hope some store owners are aware of this and try to pass along that information.  Many record buyers are really more about the fad than the quality.  And, sadly, many record buyers simply get into it because it's the latest "product" from the corporate fad factory or because it's the "hip" thing to do.  So too many consumers become at least a bit clueless that way and it's kind of shocking how much  crap vinyl moves both in stores and (especially) on-line.  I sometimes wonder if more people would support and insist on better quality vinyl, maybe the price of product produce by labels like Analogue Productions or UMe pressings and such would become more widely accessible and affordable.  I sure would like that!
    Yes, that's all a harsh appraisal, but I stand by it.

Post edited by brianlux on

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A few pickups from the weekend. The price of records in New Zealand is outrageous… everything really is about double the price of in the states. 
    If pricier vinyl is the tax to no longer live in a shithole country, sign me up!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    If pricier vinyl is the tax to no longer live in a shithole country, sign me up!
    You can resign your citizenship at any time.  What are you waiting for?  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited June 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    You can resign your citizenship at any time.  What are you waiting for?  
    My children to grow up and move out. So ten more years (at least)!

And at that point, I might still go if they're still hanging around.

Or maybe I'll just get a divorce before then. Probably more likely.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Just ordered this off Amazon because it was on sale. Reviews are great for this 2017 Euro RE. If you are a JA fan and need a good copy grab it. One discoger noted in the reviews that this version was so good they sold their Mofi copy, for what it’s worth.  So if you live in Canada and want a good deal: 🤙

edited June 2021
    That Devo record is awesome. Good score! 
    I believe you regarding prices. The only thing I remember being cheap in NZ was the beer when I went in 2009. What an amazing place though. Would go back in a heartbeat to see PJ play there. 

I had to order the  Shihad General Electric 2LP LE RE Red & White from NZ. The shipping costs were more than the record 😂, but I had to have it is such a great record. Saw Shihad in Gisborne at Rhythm of the Vines New Years show during my trip. They were facking awesome. So was Public Enemy the night before. 

New Zealanders are great people! Met a lot of cool folks. I was about 35 when I went to that festival and for the first time in my life I truly
    felt old 😂.  
    dankind said:
    The cost of wax is a pretty minor gripe in my long list of things I’m finding difficult about living in NZ. Don’t get wrong it’s a beautiful country but it’s not without it’s own issues. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    That Devo record is awesome. Good score! 
    I believe you regarding prices. The only thing I remember being cheap in NZ was the beer when I went in 2009. What an amazing place though. Would go back in a heartbeat to see PJ play there. 

I had to order the  Shihad General Electric 2LP LE RE Red & White from NZ. The shipping costs were more than the record 😂, but I had to have it is such a great record. Saw Shihad in Gisborne at Rhythm of the Vines New Years show during my trip. They were facking awesome. So was Public Enemy the night before. 

New Zealanders are great people! Met a lot of cool folks. I was about 35 when I went to that festival and for the first time in my life I truly
    felt old 😂.  
    Nice! Haven’t been to Gisborne yet but I feel you on feeling old at gigs. With the drinking age being 18 here I often feel the usual club that has shows is chock full of shit drunk 18 year olds. As a sober 45 year old it’s rough…
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hood/Cooley/Isbell - Live at the Shoals Theatre boxset
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    https://www.discogs.com/Mad-Season-Rarities-Collection/release/17386789

no idea as to the sound quality, but before today I had never heard of this. worth a shot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Just got (finally!!!) a  decent copy of this amazing record.  The cover on my copy is pretty much a beater, but the vinyl is in great shape.  So cool!
    Autobahn Vinyl LP Album album cover