America's Gun Violence

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    FiveBelow said:
    I think the term you guys are looking for is "bullet holding thingy"
    Sure, if you want to get technical about it.
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    am aware , of course, of false slang terms.

While my experience with weapons was limited to boot camp for USN, the correct term that applies is magazine.
    Yep, the real enthusiast's hate the term "clip" and forget that the OG magazine was called a "clip"... as in stripper clip.
    Let’s settle this for good, ha:
    https://writingexplained.org/clip-vs-magazine-difference
    While in the Navy, I was qualified on the M-14 rifle. We loaded rounds from clips to magazines, and the Marine Range Master would blow his top if people called the magazines clips.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

While my experience with weapons was limited to boot camp for USN, the correct term that applies is magazine.
    Yep, the real enthusiast's hate the term "clip" and forget that the OG magazine was called a "clip"... as in stripper clip.
    While in the Navy, I was qualified on the M-14 rifle. We loaded rounds from clips to magazines, and the Marine Range Master would blow his top if people called the magazines clips.
    Ha, I bet he would!  In his defense, a range master that is a little OCD is probably a good thing.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ha, I bet he would!  In his defense, a range master that is a little OCD is probably a good thing.
    He was wound extra tight for sure.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

How old are you?  They stopped using that gun before Vietnam in battle if I'm not mistaken? Or did you just train with it?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

How old are you?  They stopped using that gun before Vietnam in battle if I'm not mistaken? Or did you just train with it?
    My dad said they trained with an M1 in 68-69ish for vietnam. Wouldn't be surprised if they used the m14 in training for a lot longer. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

The M14 was definitely used in Vietnam and replaced with the M16. Not sure how long soldiers were trained on the M14.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

I am in my Early 50’s. I was stationed on Adak Alaska which is an island in the Bering Sea (Where they film The Deadliest Catch) 1991 to 1993. We did anti submarine warfare and kept track of the Soviet Pacific sub fleet. Since we were pretty close to mainland Russia, we maintained a ground defense force. Basically we were a bunch of sailors with Vietnam era M-14 rifles and a few .50 Cal machine guns. We would have been sitting ducks if the Soviets had ever invaded the island. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

I am in my Early 50’s. I was stationed on Adak Alaska which is an island in the Bering Sea (Where they film The Deadliest Catch) 1991 to 1993. We did anti submarine warfare and kept track of the Soviet Pacific sub fleet. Since we were pretty close to mainland Russia, we maintained a ground defense force. Basically we were a bunch of sailors with Vietnam era M-14 rifles and a few .50 Cal machine guns. We would have been sitting ducks if the Soviets had ever invaded the island. 
    Could you see Sister Sarah’s porch?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Usually too foggy. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Usually too foggy. 

bering sea is no joke.  war games on cv62 uss independence. got a little queasy  in rough seas
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 339
    This evil Gun incident happened yesterday at George Floyd’s Square on the anniversary of when he died. This incident Says it all to some.  I hope the media follows up w/ a description of the Gun so the good people of Minneapolis know what Gun to avoid.      

Side note, notice the dip shit professor looking guy just standing around not taking cover as the incident is happening  just waiting to take a round to the Mellon....

https://youtu.be/8hU0k5kFLEo
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

I know Adak, you poor bastard. They gave you guys the surplus up there. I worked in the Bering sea on fishing boats and was on quite a few of those boats in the show..  There was an island out there, I forget which one, but during WW2 the govt knew they might not be able to bring the men provisions so they let cows go out on the tundra.  I thought this was all bullshit until I was doing anchor watch one morning and saw about 50 of them walking on the beach.  They survived all these years.  This was 1996.  Being a young and spritely 20yo I wanted to ride one and bragged to my fellow deckhands that I would.  

I did not.  Those damn cows were fast...
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

The M14 was definitely used in Vietnam and replaced with the M16. Not sure how long soldiers were trained on the M14.  
    In 66 maybe 1 year?  Korea I know but thought it was phased out before Vietnam.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Khe sahn 1968

mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Usually too foggy. 

bering sea is no joke.  war games on cv62 uss independence. got a little queasy  in rough seas
    My father in law was on the Independence during Vietnam. He was undesignated working in the laundry.
    edited May 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

I know Adak, you poor bastard. They gave you guys the surplus up there. I worked in the Bering sea on fishing boats and was on quite a few of those boats in the show..  There was an island out there, I forget which one, but during WW2 the govt knew they might not be able to bring the men provisions so they let cows go out on the tundra.  I thought this was all bullshit until I was doing anchor watch one morning and saw about 50 of them walking on the beach.  They survived all these years.  This was 1996.  Being a young and spritely 20yo I wanted to ride one and bragged to my fellow deckhands that I would.  

We actually loved being up there. Great hiking when the weather was decent and the fishing was outstanding. They had caribou that you could hunt, but I never did it.
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    This evil Gun incident happened yesterday at George Floyd’s Square on the anniversary of when he died. This incident Says it all to some.  I hope the media follows up w/ a description of the Gun so the good people of Minneapolis know what Gun to avoid.      

Side note, notice the dip shit professor looking guy just standing around not taking cover as the incident is happening  just waiting to take a round to the Mellon....

https://youtu.be/8hU0k5kFLEo
    Wow. Sounds like a Warzone. What a shame. 
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Usually too foggy. 

My father in law was on the Independence during Vietnam. He was undesignated working in the laundry.

airwing. VS-37 Sawbucks AirAntiSubRon. Also undesignated. remained a plane captain with the line division.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Khe sahn 1968

Interesting. Same battle they have the M16 in the bottom pics.  That m14 looking gun may be the offshoot sniper rifle?  

PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

We actually loved being up there. Great hiking when the weather was decent and the fishing was outstanding. They had caribou that you could hunt, but I never did it.
    Nobody loves Alaska in the winter, no one.  Especially being in Adak.  Now the nicer days, yes.  I loved getting to shore which was rare hence the cattle interaction.  I've seen more fish than people have seen telephone poles and could have walked across salmon many a time.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Khe sahn 1968

Interesting. Same battle they have the M16 in the bottom pics.  That m14 looking gun may be the offshoot sniper rifle?  

No scope so I doubt it is a sniper rifle.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

Khe sahn 1968

No scope so I doubt it is a sniper rifle.  
    Just read a few articles.  It was gone in 1970.  It lasted longer than I initially thought.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    My thoughts and prayers go out out to the nra lobbyists and supporters as well as the politicians who will have to ignore this.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Interesting. This would close the loophole that enabled the El Paso shooter to obtain a gun

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    8 dead on a weds afternoon this has become ordinary! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    More guns ‘Murica are the answer. Thoughts and prayers. Yawn.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/30/us/florida-shooting/index.html

Brilliantati©

California mass killer had arsenal of guns, ammo at his home
    By JANIE HAR and STEFANIE DAZIO
    Yesterday

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The gunman who nursed a seething hatred of his California workplace amassed an arsenal and 25,000 rounds of ammunition at the home he tried to burn down before killing nine co-workers at a rail yard, authorities said after searching the residence.

Samuel James Cassidy's home in San Jose was a hoarder's nest of clutter and weaponry that included 12 guns, nearly two dozen cans of gasoline and a dozen or more suspected Molotov cocktails, Santa Clara County sheriff’s officials said Friday.

The cache was in addition to the three 9 mm handguns that Cassidy, 57, brought Wednesday to the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority in San Jose, authorities said. He also had packed a duffle bag with 32 high-capacity magazines and fired 39 shots before killing himself as law enforcement closed in.

While witnesses have said Cassidy appeared to target certain people, the Sheriff’s Office said Friday that “it is clear that this was a planned event and the suspect was prepared to use his firearms to take as many lives as he possibly could.”

Cassidy also rigged his home to burn down before leaving for his workplace several miles away by putting bullets in a cooking pot on a stove that apparently detonated, igniting fire accelerants that were placed in the kitchen, sheriff's officials said.

About 1,000 people attended a vigil on Thursday night outside of San Jose, California city hall, in memory of the nine people who were shot and killed in a California rail yard on Wednesday morning. (May 28)

At an afternoon news conference, city police spokesman Steve Aponte described the home as “very cluttered, lots of materials blocking passageways and entrance ways.”

Guns were stashed near doorways and in crawl spaces.

They may have been placed there so Cassidy could grab them in an emergency such as law enforcement arriving, sheriff's Sgt. Joe Piazza said.

Cassidy's locker at the rail yard had “materials for bombs, detonator cords, the precursors to an explosive,” Sheriff Laurie Smith said.

Questions remained about what might have set off Cassidy's lethal rampage and whether there were warning signs.

Patrick Gorman, special agent in charge of the San Francisco field division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said he was not aware of any information about Cassidy, such as tips from the public, being shared with his division before the shooting.

U.S. customs officers who detained him in 2016 on his return from the Philippines found books about terrorism and fear as well as a memo book filled with notes about how much he hated the Valley Transportation Authority. But he was let go, and a resulting Department of Homeland Security memo on the encounter was not shared with local authorities.

Cassidy had worked for the Valley Transportation Authority for more than 20 years but he had expressed hatred and resentment of his workplace for at least a decade, according to his ex-wife. A co-worker described him as an outsider who didn't mingle with others.

Meanwhile, the president of the union that represents transit workers at the rail yard sought Friday to refute reports that Cassidy was scheduled to attend a workplace disciplinary hearing with a union representative Wednesday over racist comments.

John Courtney, president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 265, said in a statement that union officials “were not, repeat not" there to attend any such hearing “or to respond to any jobsite or racial-oriented complaints."

KGO-TV reported Friday that the Valley Transportation Authority had confirmed Cassidy wasn't facing a disciplinary hearing the day of the shooting and no future hearings were scheduled.

Neighbors and former lovers described Cassidy as moody, unfriendly and prone to angry outbursts at times, especially after drinking. But they expressed shock he would kill.

Cassidy’s elderly father, James, told the Mercury News in San Jose that his son was bipolar. He said that was no excuse for the shooting and apologized to the victims’ families.

“I don’t think anything I could say could ease their grief,” he said.

___

Dazio reported from Los Angeles.

This discussion has been closed.