Options

Things you believe are obsolete and need to go.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:
    I never learned proper typing (home keys, etc.). I still hunt and peck a bit, but I haven't been fired for taking too long to type yet.

The fucking machine works when you press the correct buttons; I don't think an entire elective class that teaches this "skill" is necessary. :lol:

Honestly maybe the best class I took in High School ( took it in either 92 or 93 ), stuck with me my whole life. Made typing papers in class so easy and I cannot imaging having to look at a keyboard to type out anything.

I envy that!  The only way I was able to pass typing class in high school was to look at a couple of sentences and then type as fast as I could while looking at the keyboard.  I still look at the key board.  Here, I will attempt to type a few sentences without looking:
    Not looking:
    I esd treslly jappu to teieve the new Dinotrau Junotr album in the mail tofay.  Si fat, it sojhnds great!
    Looking:
    I was really happy to receive the new Dinosaur Jr album in the mail today.  So far, it sounds great!

Ahhhhh hahaha!  No can do!!!

LOL

We did it on typewriters and it was so boring. Like using the finger keys typing dad 50 times than sad for 50 times , start with finger keys and then branch out from there. Always with 45 min exercise of not looking down and just typing simply words.

Again I hated it at the time , in college when I did not have to look down while typing something out and I could see others struggling I was so glad I took it.

Not making fun of those that cannot type on finger keys but just seems difficult.

Good for you for sticking with it!  I often wished I had but I get by with my sort of hybrid typing style. 
    I recently discovered there's a word for the type of typing people do on Smartphones called, simply enough, thumbing.   Is that what Vedder is doing to get back to heaven?

MayDay10 said:
    Paper can be cut down by about 99%

Paying bills on-line sure helps that way.  I still get a lot of unnecessary and unwanted junk mail though.  It's almost impossible to stop that.
    The other thing that would help would be to go to hemp paper.  We're still behind on that one because too many areas still have issues with pot.  The whole thing would be solved if the feds made pot legal.  Ending prohibition is overdue!
    The real abusers of paper have to be banks, lawyers, government and insurance...they all love everything done in triplicates...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,994
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:
    I never learned proper typing (home keys, etc.). I still hunt and peck a bit, but I haven't been fired for taking too long to type yet.

The fucking machine works when you press the correct buttons; I don't think an entire elective class that teaches this "skill" is necessary. :lol:

Honestly maybe the best class I took in High School ( took it in either 92 or 93 ), stuck with me my whole life. Made typing papers in class so easy and I cannot imaging having to look at a keyboard to type out anything.

I envy that!  The only way I was able to pass typing class in high school was to look at a couple of sentences and then type as fast as I could while looking at the keyboard.  I still look at the key board.  Here, I will attempt to type a few sentences without looking:
    Not looking:
    I esd treslly jappu to teieve the new Dinotrau Junotr album in the mail tofay.  Si fat, it sojhnds great!
    Looking:
    I was really happy to receive the new Dinosaur Jr album in the mail today.  So far, it sounds great!

LOL

We did it on typewriters and it was so boring. Like using the finger keys typing dad 50 times than sad for 50 times , start with finger keys and then branch out from there. Always with 45 min exercise of not looking down and just typing simply words.

Again I hated it at the time , in college when I did not have to look down while typing something out and I could see others struggling I was so glad I took it.

Not making fun of those that cannot type on finger keys but just seems difficult.

I had a similar experience. But now I can type without looking at the keys (touch type) and I am quite fast so it really was a worthwhile endeavor. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,257
    Physical media (CD, DVD, video games, etc.). Give the same quality digitally at a reasonable monthly cost and quit selling all that plastic crap. Sure, I loved perusing the many aisles of media at Best Buy back in the day, but it's just a waste now.

And while I'm on it, TV's that only last a few years. I think we had a total of 2 TVs throughout my entire childhood. The first was an old box set around long before me. It seems now they release some new high res. quality wide screen TV every few years so people toss their massive 60" for a 72". All just wasteful. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    tbergs said:
    Physical media (CD, DVD, video games, etc.). Give the same quality digitally at a reasonable monthly cost and quit selling all that plastic crap. Sure, I loved perusing the many aisles of media at Best Buy back in the day, but it's just a waste now.

And while I'm on it, TV's that only last a few years. I think we had a total of 2 TVs throughout my entire childhood. The first was an old box set around long before me. It seems now they release some new high res. quality wide screen TV every few years so people toss their massive 60" for a 72". All just wasteful. 

That is sad!  Our TV is a 19" Panasonic that cost something like $165.  We bought it in 2004 and it still works fine.  True, I have to use an analog converter to get TV but that was cheap.  Besides, we don't watch a lot of TV but we do use the TV to watch shows and movies.  I have a ton of DVDs including all the Rockford Files, Columbo, George Carlin, Kojak, and stacks of movies- almost all of which I found in thrift stores.  A lot of plastic, yes, but it was already out there so I use it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,257
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

That is sad!  Our TV is a 19" Panasonic that cost something like $165.  We bought it in 2004 and it still works fine.  True, I have to use an analog converter to get TV but that was cheap.  Besides, we don't watch a lot of TV but we do use the TV to watch shows and movies.  I have a ton of DVDs including all the Rockford Files, Columbo, George Carlin, Kojak, and stacks of movies- almost all of which I found in thrift stores.  A lot of plastic, yes, but it was already out there so I use it.
    Oh yeah, I totally agree on the thrift store media. We have tons of VHS and DVDs we picked up at Goodwill and the like. Easy way to find kids movies for cheap since we don't have cable or paid TV service besides Netflix and Prime. Now we get most of it from the Library.

I wish I'd never made all those DVD season purchases in the early 2000s. Some seasons were over $100 (I'm looking at you X-Files), but I forked it over anyway. I sold most of them off to Pawn Shops about 10 years ago. At least I watched all the episodes on them.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Human beings stressing out other human beings
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited April 2021
    There's a tv show in Britain called Room 101 where so called celebs nominate the things they think should be banned or obsolete by putting it in Room 101.  They let the presenter and the audience have the final say. Someone once nominated shy people to go in room 101 for being rude/ignorant which was a bit harsh. That was refused. 
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

@Matts3221 I've just started learning to type and it's very frustrating because I've been pecking my way for more than 25years! But I'm slowly making changes. Do you have any tips to share? I saw you mentioned 45min sessions and practising the same word 50 times. I'll try that. I know most of the keyboard but just need the practice. I try to practice at work but depends on how busy I am sometimes I don't have the extra time, so hopefully I'm not undoing my hard work! 

• Options

Oh yes!  This!
    I would love to see humans more into lending helping hand, giving empathy or kindnesses instead of all the aggression.  Let's make it so!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

I had a similar experience. But now I can type without looking at the keys (touch type) and I am quite fast so it really was a worthwhile endeavor. 
    I wrote all of my college papers longhand, and then gave them to my enabler friend Amy; she would type them up in a flash for me. Magic!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Oh yes!  This!
    I would love to see humans more into lending helping hand, giving empathy or kindnesses instead of all the aggression.  Let's make it so!
    Yeah kindness is the key, love rules!!!
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2021
    Nasty vile people who are happy just to walk all over other people disregarding their feelings or wellbeing.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,535
    edited May 2021
    FiveBelow said:
    Cursive. I have no idea how to write in cursive anymore and don't particularly like trying to decipher someone else's attempt.
    I see a lot of handwritten stuff for my job and the old ladies' writing is so elegant. Clearly they learned cursive well and the lesson stayed with them. Cursive rules. Yeah I'm kind of a Luddite.
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,026
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

Good for you for sticking with it!  I often wished I had but I get by with my sort of hybrid typing style. 
    I recently discovered there's a word for the type of typing people do on Smartphones called, simply enough, thumbing.   Is that what Vedder is doing to get back to heaven?

MayDay10 said:

Paying bills on-line sure helps that way.  I still get a lot of unnecessary and unwanted junk mail though.  It's almost impossible to stop that.
    The other thing that would help would be to go to hemp paper.  We're still behind on that one because too many areas still have issues with pot.  The whole thing would be solved if the feds made pot legal.  Ending prohibition is overdue!
    The real abusers of paper have to be banks, lawyers, government and insurance...they all love everything done in triplicates...
    I hate when I just buy milk the store and my receipt is 4 feet long. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,148
    - Eating meat and the idea of defending eating meat

- Ties

- paper recipets
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Omnivores gonna omnivore...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    - Eating meat and the idea of defending eating meat

- Ties

- paper recipets

I don't think we will ever see the end of people eating meat, but less would be the smart thing to do.

"Ties"  LOL.  I had to wear a tie for two years at one job.  Years later, working at the bookstore, I realized I could wear a tie just because, so I often did!

• Options
    tbergs said:

If you touch those tv screens the wrong way, or too hard…your off to get a new tv.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

MayDay10 said:

This.  And why the fuck do fast food joints hand out receipts?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

MayDay10 said:

Gotta claim that Happy Meal on the expense account.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

MayDay10 said:

Not sure if this is still true but in Italy when I was in Rome for a semester they told us make sure you keep your receipt because the authorities could track you down to make sure you had it, part of a national crack down on tax evaders (something that is rampant there).

Damn things can't even be recycled.