POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: MOVIE SEQUELS - ROUND 1

13»

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    "So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we were told to reuse the 1955 set and we're just gonna refilm stuff you already saw sometimes with different actors - that's fine right?"
    Which is a better and more fun idea for a sequal than just be stuck in one era (like part 3):  

"So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we made a western -  that's fine right?"

The storyline of part 2 should have been strecthed out over two films if they really wanted to make a trilogy. And if they really felt like they wamted to make a western, than have that be one organic part in that narrative. 
    I never even bothered to watch the third one. Just the trailer looked awful.
    I love all three. Anytime they're on TV I will watch em. But the 3rd is the worst of the 3 imo.
    Isn't ZZ Top in the third -- or am I making that up?
    Yes they are.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    "So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we were told to reuse the 1955 set and we're just gonna refilm stuff you already saw sometimes with different actors - that's fine right?"
    Which is a better and more fun idea for a sequal than just be stuck in one era (like part 3):  

"So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we made a western -  that's fine right?"

The storyline of part 2 should have been strecthed out over two films if they really wanted to make a trilogy. And if they really felt like they wamted to make a western, than have that be one organic part in that narrative. 
    I love all three. Anytime they're on TV I will watch em. But the 3rd is the worst of the 3 imo.
    Yes they are.

Sorry, I couldn't follow this backwards.  Looks interesting!  May I ask, what movie is that from?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

Yes they are.

Sorry, I couldn't follow this backwards.  Looks interesting!  May I ask, what movie is that from?
    Back to the Future 3
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

Yes they are.

Back to the Future 3

Cool, thanks!  Unbelievably, I don't recall seeing BTTF 3!  Must do something about that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    RiotZact said:
    The OG Alien film is a masterpiece, one of my favorites of all-time. Aliens is way better than it has any business being, considering how much changed as far as the creative team and entire tone of the movie. Not as good as the OG but still awesome. 

Alien 3 is a giant disappointment in a few regards. On one hand I can sympathize with Fincher with the studio interference and all of that. But how about the fact that Newt and Hicks are just killed off-screen? If you like Alien 3 and consider it cannon then I’m not sure how you would ever get any satisfaction from watching Aliens, because the whole movie is literally all for nothing. 

I’m almost happy in a weird way that Alien 3 sucks, because if it was good then I would have a hard time grappling with the meaninglessness of Aliens. 
    I generally like Fincher movies, but Alien 3 was not good. The beginning set the tone right away by killing everyone in the shuttle except Ripley. Very annoying, but I guess at least they tried to tie it to the previous movie by mentioning them.

Alien was a classic slow thriller/horror movie that kicked off the franchise. Seemed to be the common theme back in the 70's and 80's with that genre. The fact that Aliens was even entertaining, is a huge accomplishment considering the all action approach it took, but I think it worked because James Cameron could pull off that feat. He pretty much did the same thing with T2. Neither are as good as the original, which I don't think was the point, but what they are, is pure adrenaline entertainment.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    edited May 2021
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
    tbergs said:
    RiotZact said:
    The OG Alien film is a masterpiece, one of my favorites of all-time. Aliens is way better than it has any business being, considering how much changed as far as the creative team and entire tone of the movie. Not as good as the OG but still awesome. 

Alien 3 is a giant disappointment in a few regards. On one hand I can sympathize with Fincher with the studio interference and all of that. But how about the fact that Newt and Hicks are just killed off-screen? If you like Alien 3 and consider it cannon then I’m not sure how you would ever get any satisfaction from watching Aliens, because the whole movie is literally all for nothing. 

I’m almost happy in a weird way that Alien 3 sucks, because if it was good then I would have a hard time grappling with the meaninglessness of Aliens. 
    I generally like Fincher movies, but Alien 3 was not good. The beginning set the tone right away by killing everyone in the shuttle except Ripley. Very annoying, but I guess at least they tried to tie it to the previous movie by mentioning them.

Alien was a classic slow thriller/horror movie that kicked off the franchise. Seemed to be the common theme back in the 70's and 80's with that genre. The fact that Aliens was even entertaining, is a huge accomplishment considering the all action approach it took, but I think it worked because James Cameron could pull off that feat. He pretty much did the same thing with T2. Neither are as good as the original, which I don't think was the point, but what they are, is pure adrenaline entertainment.
    What were they gonna do with Newt then according to you? Replace her with another actress? Then I would imagine you be on here complaining about that, "the second acress they got sucked!" or whatever. There was six years between the two movies.

The dread from the first film is back in Alien 3. I adore Cameron but the diference (in a negative way) in design, tone, acting and what have you from Alien is too big. Don't have a problem with the story. But B-movie Cameron was not the right person to do a follow up (and yes, I know when I am saying that how loved the film is).

Atleast tone-wise I feel part 3 is a better sequel to pop in directly following the first one. And it oozes of craftmanship - from the acting to how it is shot.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,944
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
    But I should really rewatch them all, instead of going back to talking points from when I was a teen.

Part 4 had the best loking aliens atleast.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    But I should really rewatch them all, instead of going back to talking points from when I was a teen.

Part 4 had the best loking aliens atleast.
    And worst acting and script by far.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,984
    BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

Yes they are.

Back to the Future 3

Cool, thanks!  Unbelievably, I don't recall seeing BTTF 3!  Must do something about that!
    You'll need 1.21 jiggawatts to stream where you live Brian.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    tbergs said:
    RiotZact said:

What were they gonna do with Newt then according to you? Replace her with another actress? Then I would imagine you be on here complaining about that, "the second acress they got sucked!" or whatever. There was six years between the two movies.

The dread from the first film is back in Alien 3. I adore Cameron but the diference (in a negative way) in design, tone, acting and what have you from Alien is too big. Don't have a problem with the story. But B-movie Cameron was not the right person to do a follow up (and yes, I know when I am saying that how loved the film is).

Atleast tone-wise I feel part 3 is a better sequel to pop in directly following the first one. And it oozes of craftmanship - from the acting to how it is shot.
    Everyone aged. Ripley clearly is older. Kill the kid then, keep one other or have them partially alive and then die later. Based on the storyline, the kid would have been a hard fit unless Fincher went all in and made her deal with the pedos. I don't know. I just think how it was done was lame and was not a fan of the acting that much. Maybe my memory is off though. I'm going to rewatch them all. Many things I liked 20 years ago are no longer that good to me and maybe this will be one.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,393
    BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
    I quite like Back to the Future 3 - the Old West was a nice curveball and staying in that time period the whole movie (same idea as the 1st movie pretty much) allowed the town and characters to develop. The dialogue was poorly written, unfortunately. If you've seen 1 & 2 you should watch 3.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    I personally liked BTF II more than III. I didn't care for III when I first saw it, but came around to liking it later on.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    With 11 votes EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN and BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II with 5 votes have been eliminated in Round 1.
This discussion has been closed.