Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: MOVIE SEQUELS - ROUND 1

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    EVIL DEAD 2: DEAD BY DAWN
    JimmyV said:
    Mad Max does nothing for me.

I've never seen the Evil Dead film, otherwise maybe it gets my vote. 

At least three of these films are classics and none of them is The Dark Knight. 
    An almost dialogue free Mel Gibson and it does nothing? This is like the last movie we'd get where Mel shut his mouth and let most of the scenes do the talking.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Movie Quality Ranking:

GFII
    Empire

Then 3 way tie:
    T2
    Aliens
    Mad Max

Then...
    Dark Knight
    Captain
    Indy
    BttFII
    Evil Dead (Only one I've never seen)

One's I would watch any time for entertainment:
    Mad Max, Aliens, Captain and DK

I don't know how many times I've watched Aliens and Mad Max, but it's a lot. Aliens scared the shit out of me as a kid when I first saw it and Mad Max was unlike anything I had ever seen. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited May 2021
    Looks like Evil Dead 2 is going out first round.. hate to see it cause I LOVE that movie. Have watched it countless times and lots of times while listening to the directors commentary on the DVD. Have even went to the location of the old cabin (not there anymore), but still neat to see the location.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
    MedozK said:
    Looks like Evil Dead 2 is going out first round.. hate to see it cause I LOVE that movie. Have watched it countless times and lots of times while listening to the directors commentary on the DVD. Have even went to the location of the old cabin (not there anymore), but still neat to see the location.

I can understand this getting an early vote.  I love the series and even read a book by Bruce Campbell to learn more due to that love & interest....but I feel like there is a good percentage of people who would straight up hate that series.   (My wife would allow Army of Darkness as a movie choice when we were dating but she would never watch that with me now, lol.  Not for 10 minutes.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,003
    ESB is the best sequel here.  It's the ONLY right answer.
    Chasing Amy - GIF on Imgur
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    They're talking about Jedi in that scene, No. 1.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    :lol:  
  • Options
    dankind said:
    They're talking about Jedi in that scene, No. 1.
    I know, I just like this part.  
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Bill Paxton Game Over Man GIF - BillPaxton GameOver AliensMovie GIFs
    RIP Bill.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,975
    edited May 2021
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER
    MedozK said:
    The first Evil Dead is miles better and more interesting than the sequel with it's overly long "Here's what happened in the last episode" remake of the first film as the start.

The first one still creeps me out. Amazing movie.

And btw --

-- ALIEN 3 IS A BETTER FILM THAN ALIENS
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MedozK said:
    The first Evil Dead is miles better and more interesting than the sequel with it's overly long "Here's what happened in the last episode" remake of the first film as the start.

The first one still creeps me out. Amazing movie.

And btw --

-- ALIEN 3 IS A BETTER FILM THAN ALIENS
    Said no one else ever!

Edit: It was a pretty good SNES game though.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    I like Aliens 3 but not better than Aliens.
    Alien was the best of them, imo.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Voting out the ones I haven't seen first
  • Options
    This is correct. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    This is correct. 
    Yes ofc Alien was better. 

But Alien 3 is a lot more interesting with great acting, and less of a grainy B-movie like Aliens is.

For every green screened rod-puppet people dislike in Alien 3 there is a shitty looking rearprojection shot in Aliens.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I do want to watch Alien again. Been a long time. I see the whole franchise, at least the first 4, can be streamed on Prime right now, but Alien includes ads. Bah!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I actually had an initial disliking of Aliens when it came out.

Unlike S_C, though, I actually dig Cameron’s filmmaking techniques; it was the complete change in tone from horror film to action/adventure that didn’t sit well with me. It was no longer a scary movie, more of a thrill ride.

And the old child in danger trope to pander to idiots kind of sucked, too. 

Jones>Newt
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Unlike S_C, though, I actually dig Cameron’s filmmaking techniques; it was the complete change in tone from horror film to action/adventure that didn’t sit well with me. It was no longer a scary movie, more of a thrill ride.

Jones>Newt

I thought it was a fun movie with cool effects....but yeah, it was not a scary movie.  Haven't watched them in a while, may be a good thing to revisit.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Jones>Newt
    Not saying I do not dig Camerons filmmaking techniques. Terminator 2 is my favorite movie of all time. Even with its shitty rearprojection in the scene where they have rescued Sarah and are leaving the mental hospital.

But, I actually dig David Fincher filmmaking techniques also. Even in films he himself "hates".
  • Options
    I liked Zodiac a little bit, but I find that Fincher spends too much time showing off and putting his slick stamp on his product -- and not enough time showing us a story. And I get distracted by his cloying insistence.

He's like the Bertolt Brecht of contemporary cinema. You're always aware that that you're watching a film; you never get to willingly suspend your disbelief. I guess I'm just a strict, old-school Aristotelian when it comes to the dramatic arts. :glasses:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    "rearprojection" :giggle:
  • Options
    2 things i got out of T2 and Aliens. 1, T2 had the coolest effects ever w the liquid terminator.  So damn cool.
    2nd is that HR Giger was a art legend in all that he did for sci fi and the Dead Kennedy's.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    The OG Alien film is a masterpiece, one of my favorites of all-time. Aliens is way better than it has any business being, considering how much changed as far as the creative team and entire tone of the movie. Not as good as the OG but still awesome. 

Alien 3 is a giant disappointment in a few regards. On one hand I can sympathize with Fincher with the studio interference and all of that. But how about the fact that Newt and Hicks are just killed off-screen? If you like Alien 3 and consider it cannon then I’m not sure how you would ever get any satisfaction from watching Aliens, because the whole movie is literally all for nothing. 

I’m almost happy in a weird way that Alien 3 sucks, because if it was good then I would have a hard time grappling with the meaninglessness of Aliens. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,421
    "So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we were told to reuse the 1955 set and we're just gonna refilm stuff you already saw sometimes with different actors - that's fine right?"
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    "So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we were told to reuse the 1955 set and we're just gonna refilm stuff you already saw sometimes with different actors - that's fine right?"
    Crispin Glover and his attorney certainly didn't think so, not with the prosthetics anyway.

Fuck Spielberg (executive producer)!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Which is a better and more fun idea for a sequal than just be stuck in one era (like part 3):  

"So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we made a western -  that's fine right?"

The storyline of part 2 should have been strecthed out over two films if they really wanted to make a trilogy. And if they really felt like they wamted to make a western, than have that be one organic part in that narrative. 
  • Options
    Which is a better and more fun idea for a sequal than just be stuck in one era (like part 3):  

"So, we know this movie is supposed to be in the future but we ran out of money and we made a western -  that's fine right?"

The storyline of part 2 should have been strecthed out over two films if they really wanted to make a trilogy. And if they really felt like they wamted to make a western, than have that be one organic part in that narrative. 
    I never even bothered to watch the third one. Just the trailer looked awful.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    dankind said:

I love all three. Anytime they're on TV I will watch em. But the 3rd is the worst of the 3 imo.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,910
    MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR
    1 is iconic, 2 is meh, 3 is great. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

I love all three. Anytime they're on TV I will watch em. But the 3rd is the worst of the 3 imo.
    Isn't ZZ Top in the third -- or am I making that up?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.