The coronavirus

Comments

• gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    So, how do we convince these people to get the shot?  Imagine spending $1Billion for vaccine confidence, yet they cannot find anyone to vaccinate anymore.  Somebody(ies) has made a whole lot of money in the past year...

https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr1319/BILLS-117hr1319enr.pdf
    I'll start...  The messaging below has to stop in order to get those on the fence to get the shot(s).

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited May 2021
    just like the flu right? isnt that the talking point?

everything stated above contributed to this...

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Record low flu cases show how COVID-19 is more contagious and 'less forgiving,' experts say

As COVID-19 raged last year, the seasonal flu all but vanished, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

During the 2019 flu season from Sept. 29 to Dec. 28, the CDC reported more than 65,000 cases of influenza nationwide. During the same period this flu season, the agency reported 1,016 cases.

Health experts said that high vaccination rates against the flu – combined with social distancing, mask-wearing and hand-washing employed to stop the spread of the coronavirus – played a huge role in preventing influenzatransmission.

The drop occurred despite a sixfold increase in testing at public health labs, most of which checked for influenza A and B along with the coronavirus. 

Clinical lab testing was slightly lower during the last quarter of 2020 as physicians orderedfewer flu tests because less of the illness was circulating. 

“The public health labs test for more surveillance purposes rather than patient care reasons and are therefore a better measure of influenza burden each season than clinical labs,” CDC spokesperson Kate Grusich told USA TODAY.

Though many experts are relieved to see public health measures working against flu spread, they said the numbers speak volumes about the transmissibility of COVID-19.

“It says that it’s more contagious and that it’s less forgiving of any lapses of these types of prevention measures,” said Dr. David Hooper, chief of the infection control unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Hooper said one reason the coronavirus is more transmissible is because people can shed the coronavirus days before exhibiting any symptoms, if they develop symptoms at all.

Fact check:COVID-19 is far worse than the influenza outbreaks of 1976, as meme claims

COVID-19 vaccines:Biden plans to release available vaccines instead of holding back for second doses

A model developed by CDC researchers and published Thursday in JAMA Network Open found that people who don’t show symptoms may be responsible for 59% of COVID-19 transmissions, comprising 35% who are pre-symptomatic and 24% who never develop symptoms.

People generally don't shed flu virus for more than a day before symptoms appear, Hooper said. 

Dr. Susan Rehm, vice chair at the Cleveland Clinic’s department of infectious diseases, said another reason flu incidences are low is because most people have some innate immunity from prior vaccinations and infections.

“COVID is a novel infection caused by the SARS coronavirus, and no one has any innate immunity to it,” she said. “So the population is probably overall more susceptible to it than maybe to influenza.”

It helps that Americans vaccinated against the flu at record numbers last year compared with previous seasons, Rehm said.

As of Dec. 25, more than 192 million doses of flu vaccine had been distributed, “which is the highest number of doses distributed in the U.S. in a single flu season,” the CDC's Grusich said. Flu vaccine manufacturers project they will provide as many as 194 to 198 million doses to the U.S. market by the end of the season, which could last as late as May, according to the CDC.

Rehm said Americans were especially motivated to get a flu vaccine last year as health experts warned hospitals could be overwhelmed by flu and COVID-19 patients in a “twindemic” scenario.

“A lot of people in the past haven’t felt that flu was very severe and thus haven’t necessarily felt so motivated to get vaccinated,” she said. “Certainly, COVID has taught us that respiratory illnesses can be extremely severe.”

Though the news about flu is good, Rehm cautioned the season is not over. 

“Just because it’s been low so far doesn’t prove that it’s going to be low going forward, and getting vaccinated is the best thing you can do to prevent influenza,” she said. “It’s not too late to get vaccinated for influenza."

Follow Adrianna Rodriguez on Twitter: @AdriannaUSAT.  

Health and patient safety coverage at USA TODAY is made possible in part by a grant from the Masimo Foundation for Ethics, Innovation and Competition in Healthcare. The Masimo Foundation does not provide editorial input.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Mick, bro, pretty sure I have rarely (if ever!) brought up the flu in here...  But I will humor you...  

The Ethical Skeptic has an interesting tweet and graph concerning the flu...

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mickeyrat said:

Mick, bro, pretty sure I have rarely (if ever!) brought up the flu in here...  But I will humor you...  

Can you explain to me why there are two data sets on that graph yet only set of axis values? Don't you find that strange Mr. Skeptic?
    edited May 2021
    dont really give a shit about twitter and the anonymous postings you are pasting. twitter as with most other so called social media platforms are toxic waste dumps where any fuckwad can seem to be some kind of expert.

your stance is quite clear. has been from jump.despite falsely claiming or intimating you had/have an open mind.

and I'm not your fucking bro. you dont know me and I dont care to know you.

anything else I have to say to you directly are against posting guidelines and I pay to be here.

mickeyrat said:
    dont really give a shit about twitter and the anonymous postings you are pasting. twitter as with most other so called social media platforms are toxic waste dumps where any fuckwad can seem to be some kind of expert.

your stance is quite clear. has been from jump.despite falsely claiming or intimating you had/have an open mind.

anything else I have to say to you directly are against posting guidelines and I pay to be here.
    What exactly do you think pearljam.gum is?  An anonymous message board where any "fuckwad" can seem to be some kind of expert, amirite?  Would you call it a "social media platform" even?

I am also a ten club member, what's your point?  Most here take my posts and move on, not without leaving some type of comment to let me know they are here, but you are taking this to a whole new level.

It's time for you to take off the double mask, go outside, go for a jog, hug your family members, and know that at the end of this, everything is going to be just fine.
    mickeyrat said:

What exactly do you think pearljam.gum is?  An anonymous message board where any "fuckwad" can seem to be some kind of expert, amirite?  Would you call it a "social media platform" even?

I am also a ten club member, what's your point?  Most here take my posts and move on, not without leaving some type of comment to let me know they are here, but you are taking this to a whole new level.

It's time for you to take off the double mask, go outside, go for a jog, hug your family members, and know that at the end of this, everything is going to be just fine.
    His point is you're not his fucking bro.  And he'd have a lot worse to say to you but he'd prefer not to be banned.  You have trouble understanding basic English or something. 
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Chill and being cool are good thoughts. Have a wonderful evening, all. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

"Now, more than half of adults in the United States have been inoculated with at least one dose of a vaccine. But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

Instead, they are coming to the conclusion that rather than making a long-promised exit, the virus will most likely become a manageable threat that will continue to circulate in the United States for years to come, still causing hospitalizations and deaths but in much smaller numbers."

Exceptional!
    Sad and pathetic.  People choosing their own demise.  

First doses have fallen off a cliff, down by over half, and this is right after vaccines became available to young adults. Remember the good old days of 2019 when it was thought the Bernie and AOC wings of the political spectrum were perceived as caring about the planet? Not so much anymore.

With vaccines flatlining and major areas like NY reopening, it seems this is the tolerated level of covid, about 500 daily deaths and 50k cases. 

It will be just one more thing that could end us rather quickly. But in this case it tougher to address, it’s not as simple as driving slower, eating healthier or less sugar. 40 percent of the country has spoken and they don’t give a fk.

porch section is gung ho for large concerts ASAP . The irony is going to shows will be like playing Russian roulette with the longer term vaccine effectiveness and my neighbor not giving a damn. It funny remembering the Hyde show they just streamed for free, with Ed interrupting the show often, telling is to take care of our neighbors. Entirely new world now, Ed.
    Oh so you have empirical data that this is being driven by the Sanders Cortez wing of the dem party? Where’d you get that?  Last I heard over half of republicans that were polled said they weren’t getting the vaccine, because mah rights.  Turns out it was just young left leaning Dems all along. Lol

18 to 40 yo's just admitted to vaccine eligibility, and it went from a six week wait in NY to they can’t give it away with walk in access. Can’t prove it’s young adults, can’t I?
    What does any of that have to do with sanders or AOC supporters? Given that the data we have is that those more politically affiliated with the right are less likely to get vaccinated?  Or are you just trying to scapegoat here?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Seriously.. why is there no secondary axis?  You're posting these charts like they should mean something, but they tell us nothing.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2021
    mickeyrat said:

he's been working this entire pandemic, battling the roads of your country so you and your family and millions of others can have the goods and services they need and want. 

you should be thanking him. but instead, you mock. based on incorrect idiotic assumptions. 

typical. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

His point is you're not his fucking bro.  And he'd have a lot worse to say to you but he'd prefer not to be banned.  You have trouble understanding basic English or something. 

I drive a truck for a living. brief dip at the beginning then game on. typical average year is 125k miles. working nights.

estimate I did 145k last year. routinely working 13 hrs a day. 

of necessity , truck stops are frequented. apparently covid is more contagaeous overnight so most closed their restaurants. no hot food or get truck stop made shit with 3 or 4 times the recommended daily salt intake. Exposed to drivers from who knows where. many, far too many with selfish attitudes expressed here . I driver I met daily all last year died this February from covid.

for me life didnt change all that much, excect for more work, essential worker and all. was fortunate my aa group continued to meet with ample space/distancing, masks and reduced attendance. we werent supposed to but the risk in the alternative was too great for us. zoom is good for what it is but doesnt hold a candle to in person meetings.

now, with the end in reach, impatience and selfishness will drag this out for everyone.

one poster here shares their office is fully vaxxed but one person so they have to continue wearing masks.selfish.

there was a time in this country when we had a barn raising sense of community. thats long gone. fronted by a lying bloated sack of shit whos never been told no, and folks think he fights for them.  thats delusonal.

adaptability ,  sticktuitiveness , selflessness. all fine virtues, once abundant, that seem to be in short supply.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mickeyrat said:

It's pretty obvious to me that this account is simply designed to fool stupid people. See below for the US virus data, because it makes no sense to superimpose a US graph with a global graph.  Also, causation does not equal correlation. 

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I drive a truck for a living. brief dip at the beginning then game on. typical average year is 125k miles. working nights.

of necessity , truck stops are frequented. apparently covid is more contagaeous overnight so most closed their restaurants. no hot food or get truck stop made shit with 3 or 4 times the recommended daily salt intake. Exposed to drivers from who knows where. many, far too many with selfish attitudes expressed here . I driver I met daily all last year died this February from covid.

for me life didnt change all that much, excect for more work, essential worker and all. was fortunate my aa group continued to meet with ample space/distancing, masks and reduced attendance. we werent supposed to but the risk in the alternative was too great for us. zoom is good for what it is but doesnt hold a candle to in person meetings.

now, with the end in reach, impatience and selfishness will drag this out for everyone.

one poster here shares their office is fully vaxxed but one person so they have to continue wearing masks.selfish.

there was a time in this country when we had a barn raising sense of community. thats long gone. fronted by a lying bloated sack of shit whos never been told no, and folks think he fights for them.  thats delusonal.

adaptability ,  sticktuitiveness , selflessness. all fine virtues, once abundant, that seem to be in short supply.
    the rest of us appreciate your sacrifice, personal and professional, mickey. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Kat said:
    I’m singin’ in the rain 🎶 

=)
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

the rest of us appreciate your sacrifice, personal and professional, mickey. 

I was home everyday. Speedy had it worse.

benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:

It's pretty obvious to me that this account is simply designed to fool stupid people. See below for the US virus data, because it makes no sense to superimpose a US graph with a global graph.  Also, causation does not equal correlation. 

In the thread/discussion, the "ethical Skeptic" announced that he was currently correlating the rise of flu vaccines to the rise of alz and dementia.  What a genius. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2021
    Brother (a teacher) positive for Corona for the second time... and not that long between the two...

He was at my place 10 days ago helping me move. So guessing I could be at risk?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    edited May 2021
    Kat said:
    It's a race Kat..who is right, who has it bigger..lol
    Post edited by Kat on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    The damage done by our public health officials and MSM is immeasurable...

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited May 2021
    Brother (a teacher) positive for Corona for the second time... and not that long between the two...

How long in between?  If he’s not symptomatic, it could be artifact from the first infection.  Our ID docs have been finding some people who will test positive for 3-4 months after the initial infection, and that these people aren’t shedding the virus after 14 days
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    bruh
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

How long in between?  If he’s not symptomatic, it could be artifact from the first infection.  Our ID docs have been finding some people who will test positive for 3-4 months after the initial infection
    Yes, that’s a true. For some border crossing, such as between the US and Canada, one has to show either a negative covid test or evidence of a prior positive test up to three months earlier (and more than 14 days prior), due to the potential for individuals to continue to test positive long after they are no longer symptomatic or infectious. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847

How long in between?  If he’s not symptomatic, it could be artifact from the first infection.  Our ID docs have been finding some people who will test positive for 3-4 months after the initial infection
    Yes, that’s a true. For some border crossing, such as between the US and Canada, one has to show either a negative covid test or evidence of a prior positive test up to three months earlier (and more than 14 days prior), due to the potential for individuals to continue to test positive long after they are no longer symptomatic or infectious. 
    Does this have anything to do with people whom caught it that have the rare after effects?  Or is this just a freak thing and they continue to test positive?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mickeyrat said:

Thinking out loud here.

Obviously it's not the flu.  It kills people more so than it.  But it is contracted like the flu.  Will continue to be around like the flu.  I brought up the point that it would never go away if we can't even get rid of the actual flu that always mutates.

I hope they find a link on why it killed the people that it did.  There has to be a rhyme and reason directly.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

How long in between?  If he’s not symptomatic, it could be artifact from the first infection.  Our ID docs have been finding some people who will test positive for 3-4 months after the initial infection, and that these people aren’t shedding the virus after 14 days
    He got it before christmas. And now again. He has lost taste and smell this time.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:

Thinking out loud here.

Obviously it's not the flu.  It kills people more so than it.  But it is contracted like the flu.  Will continue to be around like the flu.  I brought up the point that it would never go away if we can't even get rid of the actual flu that always mutates.

I hope they find a link on why it killed the people that it did.  There has to be a rhyme and reason directly.
    the effectiveness of the vaccines against coronavirus variants seems to be much higher than that of influenza variants. and the annual flu vaccine is kind of a guess as to which strain will be dominant that season. 

if the vaccines can be developed further to prevent anyone from spreading it, (don't know if that's possible), then I think we have a good chance at eradicating it. if first world countries actually get their shit together and helping poorer countries. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617

Does this have anything to do with people whom caught it that have the rare after effects?  Or is this just a freak thing and they continue to test positive?
    I believe they are unrelated
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
This discussion has been closed.