Poll--The Weakest Link: BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s Round 4

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
We will continue play to determine the Best Album from the BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s by year.

For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the album that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the album with the most votes.
We will then have our champion. - Remember you are voting to eliminate albums from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

FULL LIST
1980 - Pink Floyd, The Wall
1981 - REO Speedwagon, Hi Infidelity - (ELIMINATED ROUND 2)
1982 - Asia, Asia - (ELIMINATED ROUND 1)
1983/1984 - Michael Jackson, Thriller - (ELIMINATED ROUND 3)
1985 - Bruce Springsteen, Born in the U.S.A.
1986 - Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston - (ELIMINATED ROUND 2)
1987 - Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet - (ELIMINATED ROUND 3)
1988 - George Michael, Faith - (ELIMINATED ROUND 2)
1989 - Bobby Brown, Don't Be Cruel - (ELIMINATED ROUND 1)

Poll--The Weakest Link: BEST SELLING RECORDS OF THE 1980s Round 4 31 votes

Pink Floyd, The Wall
38%
mcgruff10Poncierhrd2imgntbergsTim SimmonsHesCalledDyererebusRP112579MedozKbrianluxmrussel1tempo_n_groove 12 votes
Bruce Springsteen, Born in the U.S.A.
61%
cutzLukinFanmickeyratpledgeagrievancejoberschlakeGlowGirlRS151862dankindAbe FromanGern Blanstened243421BLACK35eddiecPapF Me In The BrainHobbes1ThoughtKnownhihobibobbiggs 19 votes

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    Just started a movie based 'Weakest Link' over in All Encompassing Trip for movie fans.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/288925/poll-the-weakest-link-best-picture-oscar-winners-of-the-1990s-round-1/p1?new=1
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Just saw this poll today, and I've never got the appeal of Bruce. I can stand a few songs, but to me, its like just the NY/NJ people are the ones who make him as popular as he is. In Pittsburgh there is a local band, the Clarks, who have a lot of local airplay and have been around for years. I think they are great, but they never broke through, yet can command a good crowd anywhere they play locally. That is what I think of when I think of Bruce Springsteen.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    I'm sure the Wall will win, but BITUSA was a monster of monster records.  7 top 10 hits
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm sure the Wall will win, but BITUSA was a monster of monster records.  7 top 10 hits
    Yep, the only album that compares is Thriller.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    Not a fan...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

for what? hits?

the wall #8 all time sales at 23 million

born is #24 with 13 million sold
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

for what? hits?

Yes, top 10 hits.  

Where are you getting your data?  I show BITUSA and the Wall are basically dead even in sales.  19MM certified sales and 30 MM claimed.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    The singles from the record, which doesn't even include my favorite - Darlington County.

1. "Dancing in the Dark"
      Released: May 9, 1984[1]
    2. "Cover Me"
      Released: July 31, 1984
    3. "Born in the U.S.A."
      Released: October 30, 1984
    4. "I'm on Fire"
      Released: February 6, 1985
    5. "Glory Days"
      Released: May 31, 1985
    6. "I'm Goin' Down"
      Released: September 7, 1985
    7. "My Hometown"
      Released: November 21, 1985
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

for what? hits?

Yes, top 10 hits.  

Where are you getting your data?  I show BITUSA and the Wall are basically dead even in sales.  19MM certified sales and 30 MM claimed.  

business insider had a similar article

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited April 2021
    the poll is on best of the best selling of 80's

not one with most singles

thinking this comes down to age of poster. I was 12 when the wall came out. saw the movie in theaters too. so it was a part of my musical taste formation. which tends to be primarily classic rock. Bruce fits there too, to be sure. just not like PF LZ Jimi etc......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    the poll is on best selling of 80's

thinking this comes down to age of poster. I was 12 when the wall came out. saw the movie in theaters too. so it was a part of my musical taste formation. which tends to be primarily classic rock. Bruce fits there too, to be sure. just not like PF LZ Jimi etc......
    The selections he made were were the best selling record of each year in the decade, then go from there.  If the point was to choose the best selling record of the 80s, well then it wouldn't be a poll.  I'm calling out the singles as an example of how popular the record was/is. 

I don't know if it's an age thing or not.  BITUSA was a record that was a smash in the pop and the rock world.  The Wall is completely different.  It's a rock opera with a distinct stoner base.  
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

for what? hits?

Yes, top 10 hits.  

business insider had a similar article

This list is of sales in the US only (RIAA), not worldwide. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The selections he made were were the best selling record of each year in the decade, then go from there.  If the point was to choose the best selling record of the 80s, well then it wouldn't be a poll.  I'm calling out the singles as an example of how popular the record was/is. 

I don't know if it's an age thing or not.  BITUSA was a record that was a smash in the pop and the rock world.  The Wall is completely different.  It's a rock opera with a distinct stoner base.  

popular doesnt equate to best.

poison was popular. milli vanilli was too

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    Best is very subjective also.
    edited April 2021
    MedozK said:
    Best is very subjective also.

but you can all rest assured I am right.

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes, I know that.  It's strange to even talk about this seminal record in the same thread as Milli Vanilli.   

I'm familiar with both records that are left and I prefer BITUSA.  It was immensely popular, had a variety of important social and personal messages (Vietnam (BITUSA), depression (Dancing in the Dark), the loss of American jobs (My Hometown), getting old (Glory Day)), along with classic pained love (I'm on fire) and just straight fun and partying (Darlington County).  By contrast, the Wall (while genius) is oppressive, cynical, dark, brooding and the last hurray for a band that hated each other at the time of the writing.  And that feeling comes through the record.  Ergo... I feel that BITUSA is the best album of the 80's from the ones we had to choose from.  

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yes, I know that.  It's strange to even talk about this seminal record in the same thread as Milli Vanilli.   

I'm familiar with both records that are left and I prefer BITUSA.  It was immensely popular, had a variety of important social and personal messages (Vietnam (BITUSA), depression (Dancing in the Dark), the loss of American jobs (My Hometown), getting old (Glory Day)), along with classic pained love (I'm on fire) and just straight fun and partying (Darlington County).  By contrast, the Wall (while genius) is oppressive, cynical, dark, brooding and the last hurray for a band that hated each other at the time of the writing.  And that feeling comes through the record.  Ergo... I feel that BITUSA is the best album of the 80's from the ones we had to choose from.  

How can you not agree with a man that uses the word "ergo".
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    An album released in the 70's is going to win best of the 80's? Go figure. That album is so not a representation of anything 80's to me. Don't mind some of the songs, but it's a lot of bloat for a band that had already delivered their best overall albums. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    hihobibo said:
    Just saw this poll today, and I've never got the appeal of Bruce. I can stand a few songs, but to me, its like just the NY/NJ people are the ones who make him as popular as he is. In Pittsburgh there is a local band, the Clarks, who have a lot of local airplay and have been around for years. I think they are great, but they never broke through, yet can command a good crowd anywhere they play locally. That is what I think of when I think of Bruce Springsteen.
    The guy sells out concerts all across the world; is there a bigger band out there?  Maybe U2?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mcgruff10 said:
    hihobibo said:
    The guy sells out concerts all across the world; is there a bigger band out there?  Maybe U2?
    The river tour in 2016 sold the most tickets of any performer in the world that year.  He was probably 65 at the time. Some think it's a NJ thing, but it's not.  He is massively popular in Europe. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    Odd to see The Wall winning.  Springsteen's record was WAY huger where I was back in the day.  But, I guess a lot of you were still in training wheels in the early 80's, right? lol!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

You Know It Girl GIFs  Tenor
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Simply fucking brilliant!

I've got a little black book with my poems in
    Got a bag with a toothbrush and a comb in
    When I'm a good dog
    They sometimes throw me the bone in

I got elastic bands keepin' my shoes on
    Got those swollen hand blues
    I got thirteen channels of shit on the TV to choose from
    I've got electric light

And I've got second sight
    I got amazing powers of observation
    And that is how I know, when I try to get through
    On the telephone to you, there'll be nobody home

I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm and the inevitable pinhole burns
    Now all down the front of my favorite satin shirt
    I've got nicotine stains on my fingers, I've got a silver spoon on a chain
    Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains

I've got wild staring eyes
    And I've got a strong urge to fly, but I got nowhere to fly to
    Ooh, babe when I pick up the phone there is still nobody home
    I've got a pair of Gohills boots and I got fading roots

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    Hobbes said:
    Simply fucking brilliant!

I've got a little black book with my poems in
    Got a bag with a toothbrush and a comb in
    When I'm a good dog
    They sometimes throw me the bone in

I got elastic bands keepin' my shoes on
    Got those swollen hand blues
    I got thirteen channels of shit on the TV to choose from
    I've got electric light

And I've got second sight
    I got amazing powers of observation
    And that is how I know, when I try to get through
    On the telephone to you, there'll be nobody home

I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm and the inevitable pinhole burns
    Now all down the front of my favorite satin shirt
    I've got nicotine stains on my fingers, I've got a silver spoon on a chain
    Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains

I've got wild staring eyes
    And I've got a strong urge to fly, but I got nowhere to fly to
    Ooh, babe when I pick up the phone there is still nobody home
    I've got a pair of Gohills boots and I got fading roots

It is genius, but I can't necessarily relate to what's in Roger's head.  These lyrics are precisely how I grew up, outside of Cleveland in a fading industrial town where the jobs were leaving.  It's a snapshot in time of America. I relate to these..

I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
    Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
    I'd sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town
    He'd tousle my hair and say son take a good look around this is your hometown
    This is your hometown
    This is your hometown
    This is your hometown

In '65 tension was running high at my high school
    There was a lot of fights between the black and white
    There was nothing you could do
    Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
    Words were passed in a shotgun blast
    Troubled times had come to my hometown
    My hometown
    My hometown
    My hometown

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
    Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
    They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
    Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown
    Your hometown
    Your hometown
    Your hometown

Last night me and Kate we laid in bed
    talking about getting out
    Packing up our bags maybe heading south
    I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
    Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
    This is your hometown
    Bruce was reporting the external in his way.
    Roger confessing the internal in his way.

I happen to identify with the wall which is why its the stronger of the 2. I feel it as true to me and my experience. that beginning
    sense of separateness leads to more only drug and alcohol induced separateness. inability to connect.

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    mickeyrat said:
    Bruce was reporting the external in his way.
    Roger confessing the internal in his way.

I happen to identify with the wall which is why its the stronger of the 2. I feel it as true to me and my experience. that beginning
    sense of separateness leads to more only drug and alcohol induced separateness. inability to connect.
    That's a good analogy.  And I think it speaks to why some people connect so closely with Roger and others with Bruce.  When I read/listen the lyrics to songs My Hometown, Growin' Up, Thunder Road, Sandy and so many others, it just shoots me back mentally to my youth and where I grew up.  I love Pink Floyd, particularly Meddle through Animals, but it's so cynical that it can be a very heavy burden at times.  Bruce is closer to PJ, where you ride the waves between joy, sadness, life, birth, death, etc.  It's more real to me. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Pink Floyd, The Wall
    I guess it's The Wall. Oh well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
     https://youtu.be/GGGO9nPO0Po

Pink Floyd, The Wall
    And the winner is THE WALL.
This discussion has been closed.