The Pizza Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    You can tell the half and half was on the top of the pile.  :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Holy crap those look good! Driving pizzas home safely is an art form. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I was walking.  :lol:
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    You shouldn't carry pizza boxes under your arms vertically like a bunch of books walking home from school.  ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    You shouldn't carry pizza boxes under your arms vertically like a bunch of books walking home from school.  ;)
    I know, right?
    In reality, it was about half a mile on the boardwalk in 20+mph winds with three pizzas an one 6 year old almost running into me about 35 times on his bike.  I was pretty sure they were gonna be jacked when we opened them.

Looks like I was Ace Ventura Delivery Style Guy

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Poncier said:
    I know, right?
    In reality, it was about half a mile on the boardwalk in 20+mph winds with three pizzas an one 6 year old almost running into me about 35 times on his bike.  I was pretty sure they were gonna be jacked when we opened them.

Is Manco and Manco in Cape May?  I know you south jersey people like heading down to the bottom part of nj.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Poncier said:
    I know, right?

Is Manco and Manco in Cape May?  I know you south jersey people like heading down to the bottom part of nj

Ocean City.
    This is the best beach spot in South Jersey.  I haven't been to many up north to know how it compares but for me this is the best mix of everything.  Not nearly the kid crazy spot that Wildwood is but a better level of people / activities overall for a family environment.  
    Bit rougher of a crowd down there....

Also, really good pizza in Wildwood, those are Mack Pizza.

They all used to be Mack and Manco but there was a falling out at some point apparently.....so now one beach is Mack and the other Manco.  

I'm sure there are good spots up and down the beach cities.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Poncier said:
    I know, right?

Is Manco and Manco in Cape May?  I know you south jersey people like heading down to the bottom part of nj

Ocean City.
    This is the best beach spot in South Jersey.  I haven't been to many up north to know how it compares but for me this is the best mix of everything.  Not nearly the kid crazy spot that Wildwood is but a better level of people / activities overall for a family environment.  

You know, I don't think I've ever been to ocean city.  Exit 4 off the parkway?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Poncier said:
    I know, right?

Ocean City.

You know, I don't think I've ever been to ocean city.  Exit 4 off the parkway?
    Donno, I take rural way to AC Expressway for a short bit and then get off from there.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Macks in Wildwood is awesome, except for the whole boardwalk thing.  Get it fairly regularly in the summer.

Exit 4 is basically Wildwood/Cape May, Ocean City is like 30 miles further north.

Macks in Wildwood is awesome, except for the whole boardwalk thing.  Get it fairly regularly in the summer.

Exit 4 is basically Wildwood/Cape May, Ocean City is like 30 miles further north.

So close to ventor and margate?  

Yeah, I actually like the regular slices better at Macks but the Sicilian at Manco and Manco is a game changer.  
    My kid loves the Wildwood boardwalk....one of his favorite places thus far in his young life.  My wife grew up going there.  I can dig it in small doses....sure I would have loved it as a kid.
    When we are there, I am getting Macks slice every day.  Even if that is not where we eat meals I am grabbing a slice of pepperoni!

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, basically the next point south

Yeah, I actually like the regular slices better at Macks but the Sicilian at Manco and Manco is a game changer.  
    My kid loves the Wildwood boardwalk....one of his favorite places thus far in his young life.  My wife grew up going there.  I can dig it in small doses....sure I would have loved it as a kid.
    When we are there, I am getting Macks slice every day.  Even if that is not where we eat meals I am grabbing a slice of pepperoni!

I have only had Manco's a couple times, not sure if I've had the Sicilian.

I hear you.  Our daughter loves it too, though I am sure she will even more this year as she gets a bit older.  Just a complete shit show, especially on weekends.  We try to do off days as much as possible.  My wife did as well.   She loves Curley's fries too, though I am not as about them as I am Macks.
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, basically the next point south
    I got you.  That is definitely a nice stretch of towns.  I went to Stockton so we would hit up bars in the area.   

I have only had Manco's a couple times, not sure if I've had the Sicilian.

I hear you.  Our daughter loves it too, though I am sure she will even more this year as she gets a bit older.  Just a complete shit show, especially on weekends.  We try to do off days as much as possible.  My wife did as well.   She loves Curley's fries too, though I am not as about them as I am Macks.
    Yeah, I got the Curley's talk up and found them to be good but not too nuts.

Plain, grandma and Brooklyn.  

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Fancy Detroit

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Look great!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    mcgruff10 said:
    Plain, grandma and Brooklyn.  

explain grandma :confused:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    edited April 2021
    Our joint has 'grandma'.  It's a very clean tasting pie. Kinda thin crust, marinara, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil. I never feel stuffed after eating a few slices like a traditional pie. It's fun to have sometimes. I just don't like when fresh mozz cools a bit and doesn't really melt. It's better nice and hot.
    Haven't had pizza in a while...now I want it for breakfast.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
    Grandma Pie is great - thinner crust than the Sicilian and it tends to crisp a bit more on the bottom.
    Both pies tend to have more sauce than a standard, as well.

Really good!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Tried my first attempt at homemade dough Friday night.  It did not go well.  Luckily I had a frozen pizza as a backup.
    How can we help?
    :)
    Mostly a total brain fart on my part.  Added entirely too much water bc, for a good long moment, I thought my 2cup measuring cup was 1cup and dumped it all in. Kept wondering why the dough was still so wet and sticky, and by the time I got the ratio right, it was just way over-kneaded and kept braking apart when trying to stretch.  

It seems like every recipe I find yields 4 12-14" pies.  I just wanted 2 8-10" pies and tried to adjust the recipe accordingly, but then added way too much water anyway (derp!)

I'll gladly take any tips anyone has to offer! Any type of dough other than cookie has never really been my forte. 
    I think there are all sorts of recipes but to start I would choose one for two pizzas and not adjust....although halving a recipe should be fine in general.

Sounds like you pointed out a few things you generally want to avoid....over kneading is a big one.  Less is more with water, you can always add flour.
    I don't like using a mixer but that might be helpful if you have one with a bread hook.

Proofing is a big key, in my experience.  

When you are ready to go, let it get to room temp and I would suggest not using a roller or any type and just flour the surface, and your hands, and press out to be the basic shape you want.

The easiest thing is to pick a recipe you want to go with and make it 3-4 times.  Adjust and get better as you go - have fun!
    Also don't worry about the size of the pizzas in the recipe....if you use that one again, just do everything in half.  
    Until you get good at stretching you are likely to have smaller pizzas than what they predict, anyway.
    Leftovers!

Now:

Next:

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Fancy detroit = onions and shrooms?
    Bet that was great!
    Bet that was great!
    BBQ chicken, caramelized onions, jalapeños
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Bet that was great!
    BBQ chicken, caramelized onions, jalapeños
    Excellent sounding!