PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    This goddamn show doesn't start till 10? Wtf, why does HBO have so much goddamn nerd ass sci fi anymore?
    Ha.  What nerd stuff are they showing?
    I love nerd ass sci fi!
    The Nevers? Never 'gonna watch that. Ah? Ahh?? Anyway, 10pm is too late for this guy.
    Do you have a  DVR?  

I can't get into those sci-fi shows either. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    cutz said:
    This goddamn show doesn't start till 10? Wtf, why does HBO have so much goddamn nerd ass sci fi anymore?
    Ha.  What nerd stuff are they showing?
    I love nerd ass sci fi!
    The Nevers? Never 'gonna watch that. Ah? Ahh?? Anyway, 10pm is too late for this guy.
    Do you have a  DVR?  

I can't get into those sci-fi shows either. 
    Well yeah, we have YouTube TV and can always watch it on HBO Max. Was just hoping to watch it last night, but tonight will do. Big first world problems.

Depends on the sci-fi, anything based in the past or completely made up worlds I can't get into at all. Love shows like Black Mirror, or Westworld, etc.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Yeah I didn’t even start it because I knew I’d fall asleep at some point. Lol

Maybe after the Sixers tonight
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Yeah, so late on a Sunday night - let's see if we can watch it tonight. Buncha lame-os in here.  =)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I signed up for Philadelphia Distance Run - 13.1 miles on 9/19/21. I can barely run 4 miles right now and if they make us wear masks they'll have to come scrape up my body on West River Drive. I must be insane. But I did crush that race on 9/16/01 wearing an American flag bandana.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I signed up for Philadelphia Distance Run - 13.1 miles on 9/19/21. I can barely run 4 miles right now and if they make us wear masks they'll have to come scrape up my body on West River Drive. I must be insane. But I did crush that race on 9/16/01 wearing an American flag bandana.
    Now you'll get to wear an American flag face mask.

But you'll probably (definitely) be fine and allowed without a mask by then. I have to think at worst they'll limit registration and probably stagger start times so that people are spread out.

When I go out for a run I just keep it under my chin until I come up on anyone.

I hope West River Drive stays closed forever once restrictions lift. It's been sooo great.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Nice -- good luck!
    I dont bother bringing a mask or wearing a neck gaiter any longer....I just cross the street.  Running a the break of dawn means I am alone 95% of time and if I see someone else it is just one person and I cross the street.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Nice -- good luck!
    I dont bother bringing a mask or wearing a neck gaiter any longer....I just cross the street.  Running a the break of dawn means I am alone 95% of time and if I see someone else it is just one person and I cross the street.
    Wearing a mask walking around outside by yourself has always been ridiculous and not backed up by the science, but at the January peak I'd have one that I'd pull up when coming near other people.

If they require masks I will defer to next year. They should just require vaccination, like everything else should. Sorry antiva (not sorry).

edited April 2021
    Huge win this week:  the wife's dad - every one bit of his Fox News-watching bible-thumping Ametican flag-draped ass - finally got vaxed. Honestly did not see that coming. And it only happened because his cardiologist basically shamed him and told him not to be an idiot. Her dad honestly thought you could get Covid when you get the vaccine. Who knew you'd get this kind of exceptional, science-based information from consuming Fox News and The Heritage Foundation 24/7?
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Huge win this week:  the wife's dad - every one bit of his Fox News-watching bible-thumping Ametican flag-draped ass - finally got vaxed. Honestly did not see that coming. And it only happened because his cardiologist basically shamed him and told him not to be an idiot. Her dad honestly thought you could get Covid when you get the vaccine. Who knew you'd get this kind of exceptional, science-based information from consuming Fox News and The Heritage Foundation 24/7?
    The Faux News Entertainment Network is at war with any smattering of American progress. Anyway glad to see this small victory over the evil forces of #antiva.

Surely very belated but congrats on becoming a dad JP.

I have a Biden voter in the family that I'm trying to convince to get vaxed - I think she is open to the J&J one. Who knows what info these people are basing their ideas on...

edited April 2021
    Thanks, man. It has been a while then, actually have two now. I decided that they're so much fun that they don't need anymore siblings taking that fun away from either of them..... so I got the snip-snip. =)
    Thanks, man. It has been a while then, actually have two now. I decided that they're so much fun that they don't need anymore siblings taking that fun away from either of them..... so I got the snip-snip. =)
    Yeah my snip snip is almost as old as my 2nd. Two & thru.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hey, @Poncier

The Philly thread is lit again, yo!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    dankind said:
    Hey, @Poncier

The Philly thread is lit again, yo!
    Awesome.
    Did you see the Sox score 6 runs in the first inning on Patriot's Day Dan?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited April 2021
    Mare of Easttown was really good. Accents were superb. Sounded like a buncha people ordering lunch meat in the Colonial Market. Kate Winslet's "o's" are so good and make you wonder "wait do I tawk like that?". As far as the story, the plot - it's very well done, but gotta start it a little later and get the kids upstairs first - everyone talks like they're at an accounting league softball tournament.

Then in the after show thing some English lady is talking and I'm like "is that the director or something" - no it's her. Holy shit!
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on

edited April 2021
    Yeah, it was really good so far. Solid, solid cast. I have to restrain myself in a way though, because I don't want to miss out on the content or vibe of the show by just getting caught up in Delco Accent On Display. Like, I found myself just doing nothing but going "wait for it wait for it...." But, yeah, it wasn't that over the top except for maybe a couple of spots. The lady working the desk at the police station must be an actual Delconian, I'm assuming it's someone's mom linked to the show.

It wasn't even just the accent. They nailed the feel of everything else for the town, though this definitely is more about outer suburb/exurb area than Delco. Delco would feel much more dense. But I'm nitpicking.

Story so far is good, hopefully it stays that way. But question (SPOILER AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT) - did they ever explicitly say that her son committed suicide, other than just showing him as a ghost when she wakes up in her grandson's room? If so I must've missed it.

Also, too much Rolling Rock for a southeast PA show...

Anyone else watch it yet? Others' thoughts?
    Yeah, it was really good so far. Solid, solid cast. I have to restrain myself in a way though, because I don't want to miss out on the content or vibe of the show by just getting caught up in Delco Accent On Display. Like, I found myself just doing nothing but going "wait for it wait for it...." But, yeah, it wasn't that over the top except for maybe a couple of spots. The lady working the desk at the police station must be an actual Delconian, I'm assuming it's someone's mom linked to the show.

It wasn't even just the accent. They nailed the feel of everything else for the town, though this definitely is more about outer suburb/exurb area than Delco. Delco would feel much more dense. But I'm nitpicking.

Story so far is good, hopefully it stays that way. But question (SPOILER AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT) - did they ever explicitly say that her son committed suicide, other than just showing him as a ghost when she wakes up in her grandson's room? If so I must've missed it.

Maybe Rolling Rock did product placement. Yuengling would've been nice or else you'd expect BMC Lite - not looking at craft beer drinkers around here.

Yeah, not just the accents - the mannerisms, attitudes, personalities - honestly they were cracking me up. The town looks vaguely generically Delco - a somewhat less dense Clifton Heights. It's hard to put my finger on it.

"Delconian" - haven't heard that one. I've been here for 15 years - when do I move from Philadelphian to Delconian?

edited April 2021

Maybe Rolling Rock did product placement. Yuengling would've been nice or else you'd expect BMC Lite - not looking at craft beer drinkers around here.

Yeah, not just the accents - the mannerisms, attitudes, personalities - honestly they were cracking me up. The town looks vaguely generically Delco - a somewhat less dense Clifton Heights. It's hard to put my finger on it.

"Delconian" - haven't heard that one. I've been here for 15 years - when do I move from Philadelphian to Delconian?
    Oh the abusive dad was slugging some Lager. And, yeah, if this is Delco and we're talking generic beer drinking hammers at dive corner bars then it should be Miller High Life, Miller Lite, or Bud heavy. 

I got more of Phoenixville, Coatesville vibe. Clifton I think would feel much more dense, like brick rowhomes with little grass front yards with bent chain-linked fences. Definitely got that feel though when he's chasing the burglar brother guy, with a hint of Broomall-ish.

My favorite line is when Guy Pearce is at the bar and Kate asked why he moved there, etc. And he says something like "oh, I like it here", and she's like, "give it time." That has always summed up where I'm from, haha...good stuff.

Haha, you're a Philadelphian to the rest of the world. Delconian? Never  =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3kT_rwoB0

I liked "He's not from around here." - "I like him already!"

And the guy f'ing with her - good night Lady Hawk!

I'm fine with always being a Philadelphian.  :)

edited April 2021
    I liked "He's not from around here." - "I like him already!"

And the guy f'ing with her - good night Lady Hawk!

I'm fine with always being a Philadelphian.  :)
    Yeah I'm just fuckin' around. If you want to be proudly from Delco, that's on you. I kid, I kid.

Love Delco and where I grew up. I wear my baedin' suit awn a bohwt owlt awn the ohwshin downashore. But for me, personally, I just don't want where ever I go to feel like a high school reunion. But that's just me, it's weird to see people I graduated high school with from 20+ years ago kinda just ossified into the same old shit and conversations all the time, bartending at Barnaby's and shit.
    edited April 2021
    Hoping to watch tonight.

Do you guys know where they actually filmed it? Because Easttown is actually in Chester County, not Delco. Borders Delco. And the real Easttown is basically on the Main Line. Devon Horse Show area. It's not a bad place to live at all. My parents house was five minutes or so away in Wayne.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hoping to watch tonight.

Do you guys know where they actually filmed it? Because Easttown is actually in Chester County, not Delco. Borders Delco. And the real Easttown is basically on the Main Line. Devon Horse Show area. It's not a bad place to live at all. My parents house was five minutes or so away in Wayne.
    Easttown is the name they picked - I think the show creator is from Berwyn so I guess that's why? It's clearly not filmed in Easttown - like JP said it looks Coatesville-ish.

I need someone to say "I'm goin' to the ac-ah-me" and somebody needs to show up somewhere with a paper bag full of 50 soft pretzels.

edited April 2021
    I thought Easttown was a made-up name, didn't know it's the township Berwyn is located. And I lived in Berwyn.

Let me be clear - Delco is not a bad place to live. But it definitely has less of a Delco feel and more of an exurb feel like Downingtown/Coatesville/Phoenixville. Pretty sure they filmed in all of these places, too. I think the only filming they did in Delco was at Booth's Corner in Boothwyn, which is very much the rural version of Delco.
    I thought Easttown was a made-up name, didn't know it's the township Berwyn is located. And I lived in Berwyn.

Let me be clear - Delco is not a bad place to live. But it definitely has less of a Delco feel and more of an exurb feel like Downingtown/Coatesville/Phoenixville. Pretty sure they filmed in all of these places, too. I think the only filming they did in Delco was at Booth's Corner in Boothwyn, which is very much the rural version of Delco.
    Berwyn is in Tredyffryn (sp?) Twp. & Easttown Twp., which share a school district I believe, and definitely an upper class kind of place.

It is an exurban feel - I haven't seen any SEPTA buses or trolleys. Also there's usually some type of "downtown" area in your typical Delco town.

Yeah. Delco's weird though. The main line area is like a different universe compared to the Upper Darby type areas. 

Fucking Phoenixville started getting cool right around when I moved out of that area. Was in Collegeville till '13. Every time I swing by now there is a new bar or restaurant that wasn't there the last time I was there. Hopefully the quarantine didn't do too much damage though
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Fucking Phoenixville started getting cool right around when I moved out of that area. Was in Collegeville till '13. Every time I swing by now there is a new bar or restaurant that wasn't there the last time I was there. Hopefully the quarantine didn't do too much damage though
    That's what happened with me and East Passyunk...

edited April 2021
    Well, yeah, it's the hawty tawty Main Line and not Delco.  =)

My whole thing is 'The Accent' is the Philly Area, and I just label it Delco as I see it that way more than any other part of the area. BUT that accent definitely has different dialects for different parts of the area. Like I can pick out a Far Northeast accent from a South Jersey accent from a Delaware (state) to a South Philly over to West Chester and everything in the middle. But on the whole the basic pieces of the long O's, short A's, and 17-syllables-into-1 are there. 

At a party in Illinois? If there was someone there from our area I would damn well be able to pick them out either by what they're wearing or their accent and what part of the region they're from based on those things. This would be an extremely fun game to me.

I'm sure I've linked to this guy before re: The Accent - they're so good -but he does the best breakdown of it all by far. I could watch and listen to this shit all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLbtyi0Dwg

This is top notch:

https://youtu.be/ONiJNddW_sM
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The accent is completely outrageous. I couldn't believe it when I moved here. My wife's is pretty solid, her mom takes it to another level.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The made up versions of words in this region are fucking spectacular.
    Crayon is my personal favorite.
    It is not a thing the king wears on his fucking head!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved