Seaspiracy ... A Netflix Doc on over fishing...

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
I felt this was worthy of its own thread.  Worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5CXN7soQg
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I felt this was worthy of its own thread.  Worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5CXN7soQg
    why?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I'll say this again as being a person whom actually worked in the industry, Alaska has been successfully for years, made fishing sustainable.  They literally brought the king crab back from almost extinction numbers.  They learned their lesson.

If the rest of the world would learn from them numbers won't dwindle. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I'll say this again as being a person whom actually worked in the industry, Alaska has been successfully for years, made fishing sustainable.  They literally brought the king crab back from almost extinction numbers.  They learned their lesson.

You’d have watch it.  Over fishing is one aspect.  Another aspect is the damage caused by fishing gear...it’s quite good.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    dont have netflix but it sounds similar to this book, which is pretty good if you run across it

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674283961
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Being no longer able to stream, I'll try to find it on Netflix or on DVD. 
    I really have to be in the mood to accept getting depressed when watching this kind of documentary any more (with a few exceptions- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society films tend to stoke the fires of my activist nature more than depress me).  My sister turned me on the the work of Jacques-Yves Cousteau in the mid 1970's.  As far back as that, Cousteau was warning us that if we don't stop killing off sea life and polluting the oceans, we put our own and many other species lives at risk.  Now, all these years later, we are at a critical stage and time and action is essential in avoiding catastrophe.  Some are saying it's already too late.  True or not, I don't find that kind of thinking constructive, so I hope that is not the message of the film.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

jpgoegel said:
    dont have netflix but it sounds similar to this book, which is pretty good if you run across it

You can also read the book "Four Fish".  He maps out 4 fish that don't have free reign in numbers anymore but again, forgets to see the positivity in what Alaska has been doing for years.

You’d have watch it.  Over fishing is one aspect.  Another aspect is the damage caused by fishing gear...it’s quite good.

Some fishing gear if lost at sea poses a problem.  Another is the doors of a trawler/FV dragging the sea bottom.  Those are two I know of.

I'll try and give it a watch this weekend.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Some fishing gear if lost at sea poses a problem.  Another is the doors of a trawler/FV dragging the sea bottom.  Those are two I know of.

I did the Alaska fishing thing for a summer. I figured it was better than being homeless. Thing is, I never got paid at the end. I went back to the tobacco farms the summer after. Terrible work but at least I got paid for it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

I did the Alaska fishing thing for a summer. I figured it was better than being homeless. Thing is, I never got paid at the end. I went back to the tobacco farms the summer after. Terrible work but at least I got paid for it.
    You busted ass on a boat and didn't get your share or you quit and they bought your plane ticket back?

Everybody makes money during salmon so this is heartbreaking.
    dankind said:

You busted ass on a boat and didn't get your share or you quit and they bought your plane ticket back?

They were supposed send a paycheck to my mailbox at school, but it never arrived. I did manage not to be homeless for a summer, so that part was nice. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

They were supposed send a paycheck to my mailbox at school, but it never arrived. I did manage not to be homeless for a summer, so that part was nice. 
    That is shitty.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Three hots and a hammock. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    jpgoegel said:

You can also read the book "Four Fish".  He maps out 4 fish that don't have free reign in numbers anymore but again, forgets to see the positivity in what Alaska has been doing for years.
    will look it up next library trip, thanks

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

He's only partially right w that statement.  We have learned how to harvest and reproduce Salmon in hatcheries where the other species can not.

Halibut is another fish that is heavily regulated in Alaska.  I am sure the rest of the world doesn't go through the measures we do though.
    brianlux said:

I’m not really sure that anything he says distinguishes fishing from any other type of hunting. The arguments can be equally applied to terrestrial hunting anywhere. With a few exceptions, the concerns depend more on scale than the animal hunted per se. The alternative is to be against any form of hunting. 
    brianlux said:

He's only partially right w that statement.  We have learned how to harvest and reproduce Salmon in hatcheries where the other species can not.

Halibut is another fish that is heavily regulated in Alaska.  I am sure the rest of the world doesn't go through the measures we do though.

I know you have defending fishing off Alaska many times.  You may be right, but the waters off Alaska only comprise a small percentage of the worlds oceans.  This is a global crisis.

brianlux said:

I’m not really sure that anything he says distinguishes fishing from any other type of hunting. The arguments can be equally applied to terrestrial hunting anywhere. With a few exceptions, the concerns depend more on scale than the animal hunted per se. The alternative is to be against any form of hunting. 
    "I’m not really sure that anything he says distinguishes fishing from any other type of hunting."

Correct.

"The alternative is to be against any form of hunting."

Many of us are, especially when it comes to endangered species, and especially considering the huge over-population of the human species.  Hunting would not be anywhere nearly problematic if over-population was not a problem.     And many people support the hunting of deer because they are over populated.  But, of course, that is because we have eliminated deer's natural predators by hunting or slaughtering those predators, and through our reduction of wildlife habitat and our disruption of migratory patters.

We can't continue to live out of balance with nature and expect our species to survive.  As we continue our out-of-balance ways, we take ourselves to the brink and kill off huge numbers of species in the process.  We should at least be honest about this because there's just no arguing these truths.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I came to this thread.....just for the halibut. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This is not the plaice for that 
    I had to google that. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Already he's floundering.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    This hurts my sole. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    This hurts my sole. 
    Cheer up. It was just a fluke.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    That’s what I’m herring about it. 
    dankind said:
    Pollocks!! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    dankind said:
    Pollocks!! 
    Stop being such a guppy.

You’re a sucker for this 
    I would betta lotta money you guys can't keep this going all week
    Darwinspeed, all.