POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 1

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited April 2021
    Chuck Berry
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    guess I should take my leave of this place, piece of shit drunken addict that I am.
    Is your comment in response to my thinking Clapton is a dirtbag?
    I don't mean to offend you - although if you took sex by force, ever, I would think the same of you.
    That is not a stance vs. you, it is a stance vs rape.

do you believe if he was sober he would have done these things?

not as an excuse but an explanation of atrocious behavior?

certainly is responsible for and accountable to , as all addicts and alcoholics are but surely the substance abuse mitigates that somewhat?
    Sorry, this is a heavy conversation for the music poll.  I know this is a personal subject for you - as rape can be/is for others.  What you choose to forgive and look beyond in judging a person is a personal matter for you.
    For myself, "I was drunk or high" doesn't mean I look past something like sexual abuse.  Does it color why they have have done what they did?  Yes, of course, I think that could be the case.
    I've done lots of things while under the influence that I likely not have done sober.  That doesn't make them or any effects surrounding them go away, though.

"as rape can be/is for others"

inferring I take it lightly.

little sister repeatedly molested 80-81. raped in 86. dead by suicide in 88.

have a suggestion for you. guess what it is

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pete Townshend
    I am very sorry to hear that, I did not mean to infer you took it lightly.

I'll go fuck off now.

(Clapton is still a scuzz)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Chuck Berry
    I dont believe BB belongs on this list either. or at least not top ten.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Eric Clapton
    mickeyrat said:
    I love BB to death. I've seen him quite a few times live, even when he was ailing a bit.

I want to disagree with you because of how much I love his style and influence. On the other hand, he played guitar all his damn life and never learned how to string together a few chords. That's hard to look past as someone who plays the guitar (and mostly chords at that :lol: ).

Then again, one could say that it's laudable that the guy had (and continues to have) a huge influence on the way the instrument is approached and appreciated, and he never even learned how to string a few chords together. That's how goddamn good he was at what he did!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Chuck Berry
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I love BB to death. I've seen him quite a few times live, even when he was ailing a bit.

I want to disagree with you because of how much I love his style and influence. On the other hand, he played guitar all his damn life and never learned how to string together a few chords. That's hard to look past as someone who plays the guitar (and mostly chords at that :lol: ).

Then again, one could say that it's laudable that the guy had (and continues to have) a huge influence on the way the instrument is approached and appreciated, and he never even learned how to string a few chords together. That's how goddamn good he was at what he did!
    saw him in st pete on the lawn of the vinoy hotel. good show. $5.... 93? 94?

I'd put buddy guy or muddy waters above bb

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited April 2021
    Eric Clapton
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

I was there! I think it was a little later because I was no longer in undergrad. Good times hanging at the Pier.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2021
    Chuck Berry
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

I was there! I think it was a little later because I was no longer in undergrad. Good times hanging at the Pier.

94. saw pj at bayfront arena that year too.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Jeff Beck
    2 of my top 3 did not make the top 10.

1) Page
    2) Gilmour
    3) Young
    Eric Clapton
    Hobbes said:

1) Page
    2) Gilmour
    3) Young
    Same.

My top 3

1) Frusciante
    2) Hendrix
    3) Rhoads
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Pete Townshend
    Hobbes said:

1) Page
    2) Gilmour
    3) Young
    Gilmour is a good one.  His writing is off the charts amazing. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pete Townshend
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:

1) Page
    2) Gilmour
    3) Young
    Same.

My top 3

1) Frusciante
    2) Hendrix
    3) Rhoads

1 & 3 are/were amazing...I like those additions!
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    To close to call right now, will let this go till tonight.
    Pete Townshend
    I think Duane Allman could have been one of the greats.  His early death limits his catalog, but his slide work on the whole Layla album is phenomenal.  And of course the Fillmore shows are maybe some of the great live rock performances ever.  
    Eric Clapton
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:

1) Page
    2) Gilmour
    3) Young
    Same.

My top 3

1) Frusciante
    2) Hendrix
    3) Rhoads

1 & 3 are/were amazing...I like those additions!
    Hobbesy, which Young? Angus? Malcom? Neil?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Duane Allman
    brianlux said:
    Someone I'll add also as I think he gets better every time I see him is John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees.  Dude has some serious sense of tone.

I'm not much of a fan, but I have to give him credit for playing well under the duress of having such a short guitar strap.  If that thing was any shorter he would HAVE to play with his teeth! 
    Being a fan of Rodney on the ROQ and the Dead Kennedys as well as Dimascis I figured his style would fit nicely in for you?
    https://youtu.be/ENvavYYwFFc  Try this song out Brian.
    Duane Allman
    I picked Allman because of his time on earth.

I would have picked Townsend though then Richards.

KR wrote memorable riffs?  He admittedly stole everything from blues records!
    edited April 2021
    Eric Clapton

Rhoads and Hendrix had short tenures on this mortal coil. Both are still in my top 3. And when I listen to them, they're easily number 1 at that moment.

Nothing stops me in my tracks and demands all of my attention like Frusciante, though. I basically just fucking space out like the "Desperado" weirdo on Seinfeld when I play Frusciante.

RE: Keith, you know Jimmy Page's nickname among his cohort, yes? Difference being that he will never own up to it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Duane Allman
    dankind said:

Rhoads and Hendrix had short tenures on this mortal coil. Both are still in my top 3. And when I listen to them, they're easily number 1 at that moment.

Nothing stops me in my tracks and demands all of my attention like Frusciante, though. I basically just fucking space out like the "Desperado" weirdo on Seinfeld when I play Frusciante.

RE: Keith, you know Jimmy Page's nickname among his cohort, yes? Difference being that he will never own up to it.
    Hendrix, unlike Allman had a completely different type of sound.  

Allman could play just like Randy could play but they didn't offer anything truly different like say EVH and Morello did.  I keep on forgetting to mention Les Paul.  If not for him no one would have been playing these 'electric twangers'.
    Eric Clapton
    dankind said:

Allman could play just like Randy could play but they didn't offer anything truly different like say EVH and Morello did.  I keep on forgetting to mention Les Paul.  If not for him no one would have been playing these 'electric twangers'.
    You're so wrong about Rhoads. But that's OK, you're wrong about so much.

Saw Les Paul every chance I got when I lived in NYC. Every birthday show, for sure! Crazy who would show up to jam at those things.

I remember Slash being an absolute beast at one and my wife being upset that she skipped the show. (Slash is her favorite guitarist/sex  fantasy.)

If there's video out there of these shows, check them out. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Duane Allman
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Saw Les Paul every chance I got when I lived in NYC. Every birthday show, for sure! Crazy who would show up to jam at those things.

I remember Slash being an absolute beast at one and my wife being upset that she skipped the show. (Slash is her favorite guitarist/sex  fantasy.)

I had just started to make more frequent rtrips back to NY and found out that I could see Les Paul on the Tuesday or whatever day it was that he played.  I went to purchase a ticket and he had passed that day.  I was mortified as I was so excited to see him in person...  I am jealous of you.

Not sure what Randy figured out on the geetar that was so different aside from everyone else?  His style differed but they were things that everyone already did and his work was very short unfortunately too.  I think his death makes him better.  I always looked at Chris Holmes from WASP as someone whom molded himself after Rhoads.
    Eric Clapton
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I had just started to make more frequent rtrips back to NY and found out that I could see Les Paul on the Tuesday or whatever day it was that he played.  I went to purchase a ticket and he had passed that day.  I was mortified as I was so excited to see him in person...  I am jealous of you.

Not sure what Randy figured out on the geetar that was so different aside from everyone else?  His style differed but they were things that everyone already did and his work was very short unfortunately too.  I think his death makes him better.  I always looked at Chris Holmes from WASP as someone whom molded himself after Rhoads.
    Both men loved their mothers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited April 2021
    Pete Townshend
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Both men loved their mothers.
    That scene from Decline 2 (metal years) with Chris Holmes, his mom, a pool, and a bottle of vodka....it doesn't get more rock and roll.
    Pete Townshend

Well who didn't? Beggars through Exile is rock genius. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Chuck Berry
    dankind said:

Allman on slide was pretty innovative and groundbreaking though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Keith Richards
    dankind said:

Yeah but show me something KR has done that exceeds bar-band level?  Dude doesn't shred.  Page shreds.
    And then there's songs like Over the Hills and Far Away and The Rain Song...there's no plagiarism there lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Keith Richards
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    Where's Robin Trower on that list?
    I wonder where Frampton and Blackmore landed on the list too?
    Link to RS list in poll. 
    I can't locate the list for Guitarist. The Link takes me to the Top 500 Songs.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Pete Townshend
    brianlux said:
    Someone I'll add also as I think he gets better every time I see him is John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees.  Dude has some serious sense of tone.

I'm not much of a fan, but I have to give him credit for playing well under the duress of having such a short guitar strap.  If that thing was any shorter he would HAVE to play with his teeth! 
    Being a fan of Rodney on the ROQ and the Dead Kennedys as well as Dimascis I figured his style would fit nicely in for you?
    https://youtu.be/ENvavYYwFFc  Try this song out Brian.

Like they say, "There's no accounting for taste" haha!  Nope, just not a fan.

Re. the thread as a whole, this is quite the vigorous discussion so far.  Not surprising though because we fan of guitar music are almost always biased.  For example, my quick reply to "Who is the greatest guitar player" is always Jimi Hendrix.  But was he really?  When I really think about it, my response is at least partly biased from having seen Jimi and much of what made him exciting to see was his stage presence.  But I sometimes wonder if he could have been a better guitar player.  Bill Graham saw that potential in Jimi and chided him for his stage antics and encouraged him to knock that shit off and just play.  And the result?  "Machine Gun"!  Watching that performance with Jimi completely immersed in playing with no fooling around, his full brilliance is revealed.  That's a truly masterful performance sans teeth.

So how much of what leads us to vote in a certain way is based on subjective bias?  It's hard to strip away those extraneous biases.

Also, what should be considered in called a guitar player "the best"? 
    Technical prowess? That might well be Alan Holdsworth who has yet to be mentioned here.  Or Pat Metheny-  Has he been mentioned?
    Most complex?  Andres Segovia?
    Ability to perform well in multiple styles of music?  Could that be Glen Campbell?
    Influence on music that followed? Robert Johnson?  Jimi Hendrix?

Tough call!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Chuck Berry
    cutz said:
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    Link to RS list in poll. 
    Link was wrong. I had to use the darn Google: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/

It's a hopeless situation...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    tbergs said:
    cutz said:
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    Link to RS list in poll. 
    Link was wrong. I had to use the darn Google: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/

Sorry about that. I corrected it on the first page. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.