Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    Pre-pandemic, unemployment was at or below 4% and there were 2 million unfilled jobs, if I remember correctly. Most “kids” I know don’t work because they don’t have to but some definitely do out of necessity, supporting their family. Who still gets a newspaper thrown in the bushes these days?
    Papers are down dramatically I know.  All the paper boy routes were eliminated from fear of abductions here, no shit.  Also liability issues.  I remember my route and others going to an adult in a car and it's been like that ever since.  One person delivering a few hundred newspapers each morning.

As far as kids not needing to work, is that a good idea to teach kids?  Do parents not make their progeny earn things anymore?
    A lot do not.
    After all they are too busy with video games and texting to hold down a job or do home chores.

Apparently this is a mostly uniquely American problem.
    In other countries kids do chores, have jobs, respect their elders and parents.
    Some parents do not want their kids to work. They tell them to focus on school and extracurriculars, in the belief that this is what will get them into a “good” university. It’s a mistake in my opinion. First, the lessons you learn holding down a job are different but just as valuable as those you learn at school, and second, you just don’t value something as much when you don’t put in the work to earn it. 

yah.. my parents seemed to use a fairly hands off approach when it came to parenting.  Not much of an allowance.  Not much money for anything.  If you wanted anything from a concert ticket or university tuition you had to do it on your own. As a result I was working paper routes when I was young, and pretty much started working at 16.

I've realize later in life, that it's made me crazy independent, and I hold a core belief that you have to hold your own, cause no one else is going to do it for you.

I've come to believe that not everyone has the mentality.   I'm not sure if it comes from parenting or if's just in personality.

My brother is the same way, except he begrudges my parents for not doing more.   I sort of look like at it like, we're both dong pretty good, we're both pretty independent making decent incomes.   Not doing much, seems to have given us the same drive to do better.  Maybe it's not such a bad thing.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yep awful humans doing shot like this no doubt glad you posted it but it also proves that a wall is not a stop all immigrants measure! You see your hero president who had 4 years to actually try to do something about this crisis failed he just thought a wall would be the answer, well it isn’t I believe the answer has to be done diplomatic by engaging with these Central American countries to try to get them to do more about their dire conditions in those countries so their citizens don’t want to flee to come here ! 
    Did dropping 3 and 5 year olds over a wall get you to notice? Did it touch a nerve? Good, get pissed.  This is atrocious and it needs to be stopped (like it had been for months before Joe stepped in).
    lol if you believe the crisis started when Joe took office you’re wrong do some research you know zero about immigration issues! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Yep awful humans doing shot like this no doubt glad you posted it but it also proves that a wall is not a stop all immigrants measure! You see your hero president who had 4 years to actually try to do something about this crisis failed he just thought a wall would be the answer, well it isn’t I believe the answer has to be done diplomatic by engaging with these Central American countries to try to get them to do more about their dire conditions in those countries so their citizens don’t want to flee to come here ! 
    Did dropping 3 and 5 year olds over a wall get you to notice? Did it touch a nerve? Good, get pissed.  This is atrocious and it needs to be stopped (like it had been for months before Joe stepped in).
    lol if you believe the crisis started when Joe took office you’re wrong do some research you know zero about immigration issues! 
    No he clearly knows that the only place undocumented immigrants come across a U.S. border is at the Texas border. Nowhere else do undocumented immigrants seek asylum in the United States. 
    Just the brown people trying to steal American jobs and votes.
    No he clearly knows that the only place undocumented immigrants come across a U.S. border is at the Texas border. Nowhere else do undocumented immigrants seek asylum in the United States. 
    Just the brown people trying to steal American jobs and votes.
    It sure seems like it.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2021
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    PJPOWER said:
    What a racist asshole that Biden is. Afraid of brown people, Joe? 

Snarkiness aside, the wall was the only Trump idea I kinda liked. Not the stupid “Mexico will pay for it” crap, just the idea of a border wall to curb illegal immigration. And if Joe thinks it’s a good idea to continue construction, he should. Sure the political fallout will be annoying (the right celebrating that Biden is admitting Trump was right about something, the left’s heads exploding for the same reason), but a real president, as so many (especially here) say Joe is (unlike Trump), shouldn’t care about that sort of fallout. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    PJPOWER said:

Snarkiness aside, the wall was the only Trump idea I kinda liked. Not the stupid “Mexico will pay for it” crap, just the idea of a border wall to curb illegal immigration. And if Joe thinks it’s a good idea to continue construction, he should. Sure the political fallout will be annoying (the right celebrating that Biden is admitting Trump was right about something, the left’s heads exploding for the same reason), but a real president, as so many (especially here) say Joe is (unlike Trump), shouldn’t care about that sort of fallout. 
    I don’t have a problem with the wall! I do have a problem with children being separated from parents and yes this issue has to be dealt with no matter who is president, but I def trust this administration to be way more thoughtful on their approach compared to we hat Nazi Miller had in mind!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    PJPOWER said:

Great points! Crickets around here on this though. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    The wall is just dumb. President Biden is wrong to continue that stupid ass project. Chirp, chirp.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    The wall is just dumb. President Biden is wrong to continue that stupid ass project. Chirp, chirp.
    Nice one Smart ass haha. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    The wall has been built in parts for over 40 years now.  My buddy worked on it in AZ from 2008-2012.  He has friends that continued to work on it since then.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited April 2021
    PJPOWER said:

I don’t have a problem with the wall! I do have a problem with children being separated from parents and yes this issue has to be dealt with no matter who is president, but I def trust this administration to be way more thoughtful on their approach compared to we hat Nazi Miller had in mind!
    Yeah the separating of children from their families was ridiculous and I bet many haven't been reunited with their families, which is truly sad. Tragic actually. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    these things should absutely be investigated. fucking shame it looks as though its only because theres a D admin now.

Texas investigating abuse allegations at migrant facility
    By PAUL J. WEBER and NOMAAN MERCHANT
    Yesterday

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas child welfare officials said Wednesday they received three reports alleging abuse and neglect at a San Antonio coliseum that is holding more than 1,600 immigrant teenagers who crossed the southern border.

It is the first time state officials announced they are investigating such allegations at one of the emergency facilities the U.S. government has quickly set up in Texas amid a sharp increase in crossings of unaccompanied youths. A county official who also volunteers at the San Antonio site, the Freeman Coliseum, said the nature of the allegations do not align with what she has seen in multiple visits to the facility.

Child welfare officials would not reveal details about who made the allegations, but Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said his understanding was that they came from someone who had been inside the facility. One of the allegations include sexual abuse, but no further details were provided.

Other allegations include insufficient staffing, children not eating and those who tested positive for COVID-19 not being separated, Abbott said at a news conference that he quickly arranged outside the facility Wednesday evening. For weeks, Abbott has joined Republicans in criticizing the Biden administration for the handling of the migration challenge at the U.S. southern border.

“This facility should shut down immediately. The children should be moved to better staffed and better secured locations,” Abbott said.

Bexar County Commissioner Rebeca Clay-Flores, who has been inside the facility as both an elected official and volunteer, said the teenagers are offered three meals and two snacks a day and anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 is put in a separate area far from other children. She toured the facility with Abbott after his press conference and said he asked staff questions that included COVID-19 testing protocols.

“I wish the governor had done his tour before the press conference when he politicized children,” said Clay-Flores, an elected Democrat.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement that it could not comment on specific cases but “has a zero-tolerance policy for all forms of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and inappropriate sexual behavior.”

The allegations were received by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Spokesman Patrick Crimmins said he did not immediately know if the state had received other abuse or neglect allegations at emergency sites for migrant youths in Texas.

HHS has rushed to open large sites to house migrant children across the Southwest amid a sharp increase in crossings of unaccompanied youths at the southern border. The agency’s lack of capacity as border crossings were rising at the start of the Biden administration has led to children sometimes waiting for weeks in overcrowded and unsuitable Border Patrol facilities.

Just in March and April, HHS has added more than 17,000 beds at convention centers, camps for oil field workers, and military bases — more than doubling the capacity of its longstanding system of permanent facilities that took years to open.

The U.S. government last month had stopped taking immigrant teenagers to one site in Midland as it faced questions about the safety of the emergency sites. Midland County District Attorney Laura Nodolf said Wednesday that they have been “faced with allegations that have resulted in an ongoing criminal investigation” but offered no further details. She said the allegations were also reported to federal officials.

To staff its emergency sites, HHS waived regulations that normally apply to its permanent facilities, including bypassing FBI fingerprint background checks for all caregivers. It has hired a mix of contractors and nonprofits to staff the sites, with job postings going up in several cities seeking people to start work immediately. There is no information to suggest any staff member is accused of assaulting a child.

___

Merchant reported from Houston.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    https://twitter.com/laikenjordahl/status/1380250510750441473?s=21
    Different locations show different situations!
    edited April 2021
    Why is Biden trying to build more wall if it is not needed?  Why does Biden hate brown people?
    PJPOWER said:
    Why is Biden trying to build more wall if it is not needed?  Why does Biden hate brown people?
    I have total confidence in this administration’s plan to treat immigrants way better than the previous Nazi regime, stop your bs he doesn’t hate the  immigrants and you know it..
    https://immigrationforum.org/article/explainer-whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border/
    This crisis has been going on for decades so no it won’t be fixed by Joe or any other president till those Central American countries fix their affairs, these immigrants have been let down by their own country! It sucks but this mess won’t be fixed not this year or in the next 10 years..
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    PJPOWER said:

that had nothing to do with building more wall
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    https://immigrationforum.org/article/explainer-whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border/
    This crisis has been going on for decades so no it won’t be fixed by Joe or any other president till those Central American countries fix their affairs, these immigrants have been let down by their own country! It sucks but this mess won’t be fixed not this year or in the next 10 years..
    That I will absolutely agree with.
    PJPOWER said:
    I have total confidence in this administration’s plan to treat immigrants way better than the previous Nazi regime, stop your bs he doesn’t hate the  immigrants and you know it..
    He hates white Americans 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    PJPOWER said:
    He hates white Americans 
    This made me burst out laughing, lol.
    PJPOWER said:
    He hates white Americans 
    Has to be that’s all I can come up with too! 
    https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1380689659097968645?s=21
    Expensive undertaking to say the least! 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited April 2021
    Biden is dragging his feet on getting vetted refugees in to the country. This needs to change. He's actually doing a worse job than Trump. C'mon man.

The most anti-refugee president in modern history may not be Donald Trump. Right now, it’s looking like Joe Biden.

At least according to the numbers.

Halfway through fiscal 2021, the United States has admitted only 2,050 refugees, State Department data show. At the current pace, about 4,100 people would be resettled here this year. That would be the lowest number since the modern refugee resettlement program began in 1980; the previous record low came last year, under Trump alone, at 11,814.

Amazingly, monthly admissions have slowed since Biden took office. To put these numbers in context: Over the previous four decades, refugee admissions averaged about 78,000 annually, or roughly 19 times the total we’re on track for this year.

This is not, presumably, what most Americans thought they were getting when they elected Biden.
    Biden has spoken warmly of immigrants in general and refugees in particular. He has argued that welcoming the “huddled masses” is an American tradition, humanitarian duty and diplomatic advantage. Shortly after taking office, he announced plans to rebuild the refugee resettlement program, which had been hobbled by years of successively lower refugee admissions ceilings set by Trump. Biden said this process would begin by quadrupling the record-low ceiling that Trump had set for fiscal 2021 (taking it from 15,000 to 62,500).

More significantly, Biden said he would remove discriminatory eligibility criteria that Trump added mere days before the 2020 election. These impossible-to-meet admission categories effectively blocked nearly all refugees from African and Muslim countries from qualifying for resettlement in the United States, whatever the overall ceiling might suggest. These criteria are the main reason admissions have slowed to a trickle.

Biden announced all this in early February. His State Department submitted a detailed report to Congress on the new ceiling and eligibility criteria days later. State Department officials began booking flights for refugees who had been waiting for years — people who had been fully screened for national security and public health concerns and deemed ready to go.
    Then, astoundingly, Biden blocked his own policy from taking effect.

Without explanation, Biden never signed the paperwork, called a “presidential determination,” legally necessary to lift Trump’s restrictions. So, roughly 715 desperate refugees whose travel arrangements were made by Biden’s own State Department — many of whom had given away their possessions and vacated their homes in anticipation of relocation — had their tickets abruptly canceled.
    At least one family in a Tanzanian refugee camp was booked on a flight for February and rescheduled for another flight in March, because Biden hadn’t completed his bureaucratic task in time for their original itinerary, according to the International Rescue Committee, the nonprofit resettlement agency assigned to receive them in Idaho. Ultimately, their travel was canceled, a sign that even State Department officials hadn’t anticipated Biden’s repeated and unexplained paperwork delays. Many families had similar experiences during Trump’s presidency, when they were also booked and subsequently unbooked for flights.

Which suggests how little has changed since Trump left office, despite Biden’s warm-and-fuzzy rhetoric.
    Asked repeatedly (by me and others) what accounts for Biden’s delay, White House officials have struggled to answer. Sometimes they try to blame Trump, complaining that his administration left a system in “disrepair” that requires “rebuilding.” No doubt, Trump wrought a lot of damage upon the immigration system, and more resources would be necessary to reach the much higher refugee admissions that Biden claims he wants for the next fiscal year (125,000); currently, there aren’t enough people sufficiently far along in the refugee-screening pipeline to meet that goal.

But none of this explains why the few thousand already fully vetted and deemed “travel-ready” by the State Department as of early March have not been allowed in. The only thing preventing their entry is Biden — who refuses to do the right thing and sign a simple document.

The only explanation I can fathom for what’s going on is that the White House fears ordinary Americans will confuse the refugee resettlement system with the surge of migrants at the southern border. “Refugees” and “asylum seekers” might sound synonymous, but the groups are subject to different sets of laws, screening procedures and executive authorities. One key difference is that refugees apply from abroad and are screened for eligibility before they arrive; asylum seekers apply from within our borders or at a port of entry.

In other words, refugees are doing precisely what both Biden and Republicans urge those fleeing persecution and violence to do: staying abroad, and not crossing into the United States unlawfully; proving to U.S. and international officials that their lives are indeed in danger, and that they meet the legal requirements for resettlement; enduring extensive screening to prove they don’t threaten national security or public health; and then patiently waiting their turn for admission, a process that usually takes years.

And how is Biden rewarding them? The same way Trump did: by slamming the door.

It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    Biden is dragging his feet on getting vetted refugees in to the country. This needs to change. He's actually doing a worse job than Trump. C'mon man.

The most anti-refugee president in modern history may not be Donald Trump. Right now, it’s looking like Joe Biden.

Halfway through fiscal 2021, the United States has admitted only 2,050 refugees, State Department data show. At the current pace, about 4,100 people would be resettled here this year. That would be the lowest number since the modern refugee resettlement program began in 1980; the previous record low came last year, under Trump alone, at 11,814.

Amazingly, monthly admissions have slowed since Biden took office. To put these numbers in context: Over the previous four decades, refugee admissions averaged about 78,000 annually, or roughly 19 times the total we’re on track for this year.

This is not, presumably, what most Americans thought they were getting when they elected Biden.
    Biden has spoken warmly of immigrants in general and refugees in particular. He has argued that welcoming the “huddled masses” is an American tradition, humanitarian duty and diplomatic advantage. Shortly after taking office, he announced plans to rebuild the refugee resettlement program, which had been hobbled by years of successively lower refugee admissions ceilings set by Trump. Biden said this process would begin by quadrupling the record-low ceiling that Trump had set for fiscal 2021 (taking it from 15,000 to 62,500).

More significantly, Biden said he would remove discriminatory eligibility criteria that Trump added mere days before the 2020 election. These impossible-to-meet admission categories effectively blocked nearly all refugees from African and Muslim countries from qualifying for resettlement in the United States, whatever the overall ceiling might suggest. These criteria are the main reason admissions have slowed to a trickle.

Biden announced all this in early February. His State Department submitted a detailed report to Congress on the new ceiling and eligibility criteria days later. State Department officials began booking flights for refugees who had been waiting for years — people who had been fully screened for national security and public health concerns and deemed ready to go.

Without explanation, Biden never signed the paperwork, called a “presidential determination,” legally necessary to lift Trump’s restrictions. So, roughly 715 desperate refugees whose travel arrangements were made by Biden’s own State Department — many of whom had given away their possessions and vacated their homes in anticipation of relocation — had their tickets abruptly canceled.
    At least one family in a Tanzanian refugee camp was booked on a flight for February and rescheduled for another flight in March, because Biden hadn’t completed his bureaucratic task in time for their original itinerary, according to the International Rescue Committee, the nonprofit resettlement agency assigned to receive them in Idaho. Ultimately, their travel was canceled, a sign that even State Department officials hadn’t anticipated Biden’s repeated and unexplained paperwork delays. Many families had similar experiences during Trump’s presidency, when they were also booked and subsequently unbooked for flights.

Which suggests how little has changed since Trump left office, despite Biden’s warm-and-fuzzy rhetoric.
    Asked repeatedly (by me and others) what accounts for Biden’s delay, White House officials have struggled to answer. Sometimes they try to blame Trump, complaining that his administration left a system in “disrepair” that requires “rebuilding.” No doubt, Trump wrought a lot of damage upon the immigration system, and more resources would be necessary to reach the much higher refugee admissions that Biden claims he wants for the next fiscal year (125,000); currently, there aren’t enough people sufficiently far along in the refugee-screening pipeline to meet that goal.

But none of this explains why the few thousand already fully vetted and deemed “travel-ready” by the State Department as of early March have not been allowed in. The only thing preventing their entry is Biden — who refuses to do the right thing and sign a simple document.

The only explanation I can fathom for what’s going on is that the White House fears ordinary Americans will confuse the refugee resettlement system with the surge of migrants at the southern border. “Refugees” and “asylum seekers” might sound synonymous, but the groups are subject to different sets of laws, screening procedures and executive authorities. One key difference is that refugees apply from abroad and are screened for eligibility before they arrive; asylum seekers apply from within our borders or at a port of entry.

In other words, refugees are doing precisely what both Biden and Republicans urge those fleeing persecution and violence to do: staying abroad, and not crossing into the United States unlawfully; proving to U.S. and international officials that their lives are indeed in danger, and that they meet the legal requirements for resettlement; enduring extensive screening to prove they don’t threaten national security or public health; and then patiently waiting their turn for admission, a process that usually takes years.

Biden hates brown people?
    edited April 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:

No
    He hates white americans 
    Keep up man
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:

No
    He hates white americans 
    Keep up man
    He sure seems to like the smell of their hair...C’mon man!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478

My first President Biden disappointment. To the bolded, does anyone not think that the propaganda and purposeful clouding of the issue has had an effect? The midterms will tell but I'm sure this issue will be hammered on the campaign trail. BOO!

Opinion: The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller

Joe Biden is president. So why are Stephen Miller’s views still haunting the U.S. immigration agenda?

On Friday, the White House announced a cowardly decision: Biden would maintain Donald Trump’s record-low refugee admissions ceiling, breaking an earlier promise to quadruple refugee arrivals this fiscal year. To appreciate why, exactly, this decision was so disappointing — beyond the obvious humanitarian reasons — you need to understand the last administration’s anti-immigrant propaganda campaign and how Biden’s decision plays into it.

Trump and his senior adviser Miller wanted Americans to live in perpetual fear of foreign hordes supposedly laying siege to the country — to our economy, our culture, our racial complexion, even our women. According to this worldview, there is (or should be) no such thing as a legal immigrant; deep down, immigrants are all somehow intrinsically illegal and must be treated as such. The barbarians at the gate cannot be contained by good-faith vetting or the traditional rule of law; all foreigners must be beaten back by whatever means necessary.

This was the message of Trump officials’ rhetoric and policy. In addition to building a border wall to deter unlawful entry, the Trump administration foreclosed every legal avenue for immigration. The ruthlessness of foreign invaders — these “aliens,” to use Miller’s preferred term — demanded it.

Trump officials executed this agenda by booby-trapping paperwork and rigging eligibility criteria to keep out foreigners who tried to immigrate legally. Where executive authority allowed, Trump directly ratcheted down entry quotas. That’s what happened with refugees, whose numbers the president has almost plenary power to decide. Trump officials repeatedly declared that refugee admissions had to be reduced because other immigrants were gaining too much ground in their coordinated invasion and were allegedly overwhelming U.S. processing capacity.

It didn’t matter that refugees are among the most vetted immigrants in the world, waiting years and many rounds of background checks before being allowed to resettle in the United States. Nor that refugees are processed in an entirely different system from those entering U.S. borders without permission. Miller and his fellow xenophobes portrayed even immigrants willing to submit to extensive screening as likely drug-runners, terrorists, rapists and parasites.

Biden campaigned, and won, on a very different message.

He promised to “restore the soul of America,” which he argued included welcoming the stranger. It was a message he had promoted for decades. Upon taking office, he declared plans to roll back the Miller/Trump immigration agenda. Among them: raising the refugee admissions ceiling from 15,000 to 62,500.

Biden’s rationale for this policy was partly moral, partly practical. Unlike their predecessors, Biden and his immigration advisers recognized that creating more pathways for people to come to the United States legally would actually promote “law and order” and alleviate stress on the immigration system. In a February report to Congress, the State Department said one reason to “increase the overall refugee admissions number” was to “facilitate safe and orderly migration and access to international protection and avert a humanitarian crisis at the U.S. southern border.”

Then, inexplicably, Biden got cold feet.

He delayed signing the paperwork necessary to put his policy into effect, leaving hundreds of vetted refugees in limbo. White House spokespeople could not explain the holdup. Reports leaked that Biden worried about the “optics” of letting in more refugees amid a surge of migration at the southern border, even though he knew the two issues were unrelated.

In other words: Biden seemed to concede that Miller’s propaganda had worked and that the public might view all immigrants as a dangerous, undifferentiated horde of intruders the new administration was failing to contain.

Rather than fighting the confusion and fear Miller had sown, Biden caved. Friday’s White House announcement even invoked the same weaselly excuse Trump officials had used to justify their record-low cap — that it was necessitated by the (irrelevant) border surge.

On Twitter, Miller took a victory lap. He urged Biden to reduce refugee admissions to zero, which he declared would be the “most popular” thing to do.

But Biden and Miller both misread the politics. Biden’s announcement drew immediate, widespread backlash. Perhaps unsurprisingly: Despite Team Trump’s relentless smears of refugees and other immigrants, polls show the public has grown more pro-immigrant in recent years — with support reaching record highs.

Within hours of its initial announcement Friday, the White House backtracked, saying a higher refugee ceiling would be forthcoming. Officials refused to specify the new level and will not commit to the 62,500 Biden previously promised. Biden is leaving his options open — perhaps in case Miller’s political assessment turns out to be right.

It’s not clear why Biden has been so timid. As Biden himself has persuasively argued, admitting more refugees is in the country’s moral and national security interests. What’s more, he was elected on a popular mandate to do it. The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller and deliver the agenda that our new, soul-restoring president promised.

Opinion | The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

My first President Biden disappointment. To the bolded, does anyone not think that the propaganda and purposeful clouding of the issue has had an effect? The midterms will tell but I'm sure this issue will be hammered on the campaign trail. BOO!

Opinion: The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller

Joe Biden is president. So why are Stephen Miller’s views still haunting the U.S. immigration agenda?

On Friday, the White House announced a cowardly decision: Biden would maintain Donald Trump’s record-low refugee admissions ceiling, breaking an earlier promise to quadruple refugee arrivals this fiscal year. To appreciate why, exactly, this decision was so disappointing — beyond the obvious humanitarian reasons — you need to understand the last administration’s anti-immigrant propaganda campaign and how Biden’s decision plays into it.

Trump and his senior adviser Miller wanted Americans to live in perpetual fear of foreign hordes supposedly laying siege to the country — to our economy, our culture, our racial complexion, even our women. According to this worldview, there is (or should be) no such thing as a legal immigrant; deep down, immigrants are all somehow intrinsically illegal and must be treated as such. The barbarians at the gate cannot be contained by good-faith vetting or the traditional rule of law; all foreigners must be beaten back by whatever means necessary.

This was the message of Trump officials’ rhetoric and policy. In addition to building a border wall to deter unlawful entry, the Trump administration foreclosed every legal avenue for immigration. The ruthlessness of foreign invaders — these “aliens,” to use Miller’s preferred term — demanded it.

Trump officials executed this agenda by booby-trapping paperwork and rigging eligibility criteria to keep out foreigners who tried to immigrate legally. Where executive authority allowed, Trump directly ratcheted down entry quotas. That’s what happened with refugees, whose numbers the president has almost plenary power to decide. Trump officials repeatedly declared that refugee admissions had to be reduced because other immigrants were gaining too much ground in their coordinated invasion and were allegedly overwhelming U.S. processing capacity.

It didn’t matter that refugees are among the most vetted immigrants in the world, waiting years and many rounds of background checks before being allowed to resettle in the United States. Nor that refugees are processed in an entirely different system from those entering U.S. borders without permission. Miller and his fellow xenophobes portrayed even immigrants willing to submit to extensive screening as likely drug-runners, terrorists, rapists and parasites.

Biden campaigned, and won, on a very different message.

He promised to “restore the soul of America,” which he argued included welcoming the stranger. It was a message he had promoted for decades. Upon taking office, he declared plans to roll back the Miller/Trump immigration agenda. Among them: raising the refugee admissions ceiling from 15,000 to 62,500.

Biden’s rationale for this policy was partly moral, partly practical. Unlike their predecessors, Biden and his immigration advisers recognized that creating more pathways for people to come to the United States legally would actually promote “law and order” and alleviate stress on the immigration system. In a February report to Congress, the State Department said one reason to “increase the overall refugee admissions number” was to “facilitate safe and orderly migration and access to international protection and avert a humanitarian crisis at the U.S. southern border.”

Then, inexplicably, Biden got cold feet.

He delayed signing the paperwork necessary to put his policy into effect, leaving hundreds of vetted refugees in limbo. White House spokespeople could not explain the holdup. Reports leaked that Biden worried about the “optics” of letting in more refugees amid a surge of migration at the southern border, even though he knew the two issues were unrelated.

In other words: Biden seemed to concede that Miller’s propaganda had worked and that the public might view all immigrants as a dangerous, undifferentiated horde of intruders the new administration was failing to contain.

Rather than fighting the confusion and fear Miller had sown, Biden caved. Friday’s White House announcement even invoked the same weaselly excuse Trump officials had used to justify their record-low cap — that it was necessitated by the (irrelevant) border surge.

On Twitter, Miller took a victory lap. He urged Biden to reduce refugee admissions to zero, which he declared would be the “most popular” thing to do.

But Biden and Miller both misread the politics. Biden’s announcement drew immediate, widespread backlash. Perhaps unsurprisingly: Despite Team Trump’s relentless smears of refugees and other immigrants, polls show the public has grown more pro-immigrant in recent years — with support reaching record highs.

Within hours of its initial announcement Friday, the White House backtracked, saying a higher refugee ceiling would be forthcoming. Officials refused to specify the new level and will not commit to the 62,500 Biden previously promised. Biden is leaving his options open — perhaps in case Miller’s political assessment turns out to be right.

It’s not clear why Biden has been so timid. As Biden himself has persuasively argued, admitting more refugees is in the country’s moral and national security interests. What’s more, he was elected on a popular mandate to do it. The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller and deliver the agenda that our new, soul-restoring president promised.

Opinion | The White House must exorcise the ghost of Stephen Miller - The Washington Post

I read this one earlier too. I think she also wrote the piece I posted in the immigration thread a few weeks ago. It really does seem Biden is being overly conservative on his, which clearly seems only for political reasons, but how long does he plan to hold out? The midterms are a long way away.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Great points! Crickets around here on this though. 
    the biggest issue I have with it is the ecological impact. humans should not put fences keeping animals from their natural migration patters. 

the wall was a racist dog whistle that helped get trump elected. the fact of the matter is, arrests at the US/Mexico border for illegal crossers was at a 45 year low. 

"show me a 50 foot wall and I'll show you a 51 foot ladder". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD