POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Guitarist- ROUND 1

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited April 2021
    Chuck Berry
    brianlux said:
    Chuck Berry rated higher than EVH

Trey Anastasio and Jerry G should probably be on the list over Berry and Townshend at this point. Terry Kath is my #1, Jimi thought he was a better player.
    https://www.classicrockhistory.com/why-jimmy-hendrix-called-chicagos-terry-kath-the-best-guitarist-in-the-universe/

Here’s Duane and Clapton jamming for 2 hours...
    https://youtu.be/pOcgqg_IzG0

I would have loved to seen Terry Kath in some configuration other than Chicago.  But you're right, he was a fine guitarist.
    Never thought of Kath. Heck, I didn't even know the name of the guitarist for Chicago until now, but 25 or 6 to 4 has been one of my favorite songs since I heard it as a kid, in large part due to that glorious guitar solo. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The biggest omissions I saw as I went through the entire 100 list, was country guitarist. I know Chet Atkins is #21, but damn no Jerry Reed, Roy Clark or Glen Campbell anywhere on the list.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Duane Allman can play but man, I don’t know...

Some that should be on here for their innovations are Robert Johnson, G3 Vai, Satriani and Eric Johnson and where the hell is Stevie Ray?

Yea, Stevie should be in the top 10 he is #12 though.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Pete Townshend
    MedozK said:
    The biggest omissions I saw as I went through the entire 100 list, was country guitarist. I know Chet Atkins is #21, but damn no Jerry Reed, Roy Clark or Glen Campbell anywhere on the list.

When I was a kid I thought Glen Campbell's music was rather hokey.  But then one evening I saw him perform a number on some TV show and his guitar playing floored me.  Man, was I set straight!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Keith Richards
    It will most likely come down to Hendix and Van Halen.

Surprised Prince wasn't listed.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited April 2021
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    And have to add, what makes this list bogus is the exclusive inclusion only of rock guitarists.  No jazz or blues guitarist?  Andrés Segovia, anyone?
    I'll be honest Brian, I don't know half the names you mentioned. Who should I start with?

That's as hard to answer as naming the greatest guitarist, lol!  But here's a brief rundown of what makes these players great:
    Robert Johnson you probably know as the founder of modern blues as we know it . A great place to start with blues guitar appreciation
    Django Reinhardt is regarded as the first to use guitar in jazz as a lead instrument.
    Larry Coryell was the godfather of jazz rock fusion.  His first two albums, Lady Coryell and Coryell are great!
    John McLaughlin is still playing and has covered a lot of territory from fusion (solo and with Miles Davis) to exotic acoustic.
    Richard Thompson is a phenomenal guitarist.  Shoot Out the Lights with former wife Linda is a great place to start.
    Robert Fripp is a master.  Check out his stuff with King Crimson, David Bowie, and Brian Eno.
    Leo Kottke is an amazing folk and blues guitarist who manages to sound like two or three guitarist while playing solo.  6 and 12 Sting Guitar is a great album to start with.
    John Fahey was a marvelous self-taught guitarist blending blue and folk and other roots styles. The Yellow Princess is my favorite of LPs of his I have but I'm told The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death is even better (a pricey, fairly hard to find LP last I checked).
    Andrés Segovia is generally consider the greatest classical guitarist of all times.  Julian Bream is right up there too.

I hope you get a chance to check out some of these players, T.

And maybe our fine thread host will do a "greatest female guitarist" shootout some time.  There are some phenomenal lady guitarists out there as well!

Thanks, Brian! I will definitely give them a listen. I know some of them and I'm sure heard others without realizing it.

Sure thing, T! 
    I forget to say something about the other name I mentioned, Jason Victor.  He's one of my favorite younger (not real young but younger than most mentioned in these pages).  Playing slide and lead guitar here:

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Duane Allman
    It will most likely come down to Hendix and Van Halen.

Surprised Prince wasn't listed.
    Prince could play but wasn't better than most mentioned.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Duane Allman
    Someone I'll add also as I think he gets better every time I see him is John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees.  Dude has some serious sense of tone.
    Pete Townshend
    Someone I'll add also as I think he gets better every time I see him is John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees.  Dude has some serious sense of tone.

I'm not much of a fan, but I have to give him credit for playing well under the duress of having such a short guitar strap.  If that thing was any shorter he would HAVE to play with his teeth! 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Keith Richards
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:
    I throw my 2 cents in on this one. This list is beyond messed up. There are great guitarist not on the list at all, and some on here for who knows the reason.
    You mean Keith Richards :whistle:
    rgambs said:
    Only Dankind could vote for Clapton in the first round lol
    What a pud move 🤣🤣🤣
    The average person, at the very least, knows 10 Keith riffs by heart. That's massive! You can probably hear them in your head right now while reading this. And, surprise, they might make you shake your tushy a little bit.

Now try Clapton. Other than his stuff with Cream (which had stellar rhythm section!) and the intro to "Layla," I cannot do this. His riffs are tired, his fills and solos pretty much chromatic when that's the time to step out of the box.
    Well, yeah, there's zero doubt that Richards wins the songwriting contest over Clapton...easily...but if memorable riffs is the standard, doesn't Page win that contest?  It's hard to count how many Zeppelin riffs are firmly lodged in the zeitgeist, and Page comes WAY closer to mastery of the instrument.  Shouldn't something approaching mastery of the instrument be a requisite for top ten greatest? 
    Clapton's fills and leads may not be the most unique, but Richards couldn't do them at half speed lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Eric Clapton
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:
    I throw my 2 cents in on this one. This list is beyond messed up. There are great guitarist not on the list at all, and some on here for who knows the reason.
    rgambs said:
    Only Dankind could vote for Clapton in the first round lol
    What a pud move 🤣🤣🤣
    The average person, at the very least, knows 10 Keith riffs by heart. That's massive! You can probably hear them in your head right now while reading this. And, surprise, they might make you shake your tushy a little bit.

Now try Clapton. Other than his stuff with Cream (which had stellar rhythm section!) and the intro to "Layla," I cannot do this. His riffs are tired, his fills and solos pretty much chromatic when that's the time to step out of the box.
    Well, yeah, there's zero doubt that Richards wins the songwriting contest over Clapton...easily...but if memorable riffs is the standard, doesn't Page win that contest?  It's hard to count how many Zeppelin riffs are firmly lodged in the zeitgeist, and Page comes WAY closer to mastery of the instrument.  Shouldn't something approaching mastery of the instrument be a requisite for top ten greatest? 
    Clapton's fills and leads may not be the most unique, but Richards couldn't do them at half speed lol
    KR more than a riffmeister. "Sister (Motherfucking) Morphine," Gabby!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Eric Clapton
    I'm with Dan on this one.
    Never gotten the adoration of Clapton.
    His stuff with Cream is good, but after that its just meh to me.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Keith Richards
    Where's Robin Trower on that list?
    Keith Richards
    cutz said:
    I wonder where Frampton and Blackmore landed on the list too?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:
    Er...what?  Keith Richards has an amazing sense of groove and rhythm.  The songs he has wrote are just as good as anyone's on the list, and probably has more of them.  Is he as great of a pure player as Jimi?  No, but his song writing is just as good.  

SRV is an omission. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Eric Clapton
    rgambs said:
    cutz said:
    I wonder where Frampton and Blackmore landed on the list too?
    Link to RS list in poll. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    Clapton secured himself as a grade A asshole recently, but his early work in the 60's and 70's still stands out even if he sucks as a person. 

He was an asshole then as well.  :lol:   Many examples -- but I know this is not a Good Person List, it is a greatest guitarist list so totally get what you are saying.
    Is this all about what  he said in 1976, for which he apologized profusely for, and has donated heavily into Rock Against Racism since?  Is there something else I'm missing here?
    Chuck Berry
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Clapton secured himself as a grade A asshole recently, but his early work in the 60's and 70's still stands out even if he sucks as a person. 

He was an asshole then as well.  :lol:   Many examples -- but I know this is not a Good Person List, it is a greatest guitarist list so totally get what you are saying.
    Is this all about what  he said in 1976, for which he apologized profusely for, and has donated heavily into Rock Against Racism since?  Is there something else I'm missing here?
    He wrote that stupid anti-mask song recently.
    Chuck Berry
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:
    Er...what?  Keith Richards has an amazing sense of groove and rhythm.  The songs he has wrote are just as good as anyone's on the list, and probably has more of them.  Is he as great of a pure player as Jimi?  No, but his song writing is just as good.  

SRV is an omission. 
    I get it, but he's not a standout player to me. Plenty of other guitarists that could be put ahead of him.
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Yeah him and Van Morrison.  But I don't think that makes him a racist or whatever.  Just a dummy in this case. 
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:

SRV is an omission. 
    I get it, but he's not a standout player to me. Plenty of other guitarists that could be put ahead of him.
    He's not a standout player, I'll agree, but he's an excellent player.  Yngwie Malmsteen is a standout player, but his writing sucks in my opinion.  I think it depends on what they are considering when calling someone a 'great' guitar player.  To me, the writing is the most important and the most unique talent.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

And that he wrote Layla about George Harrison's wife that he was trying to bang.
    Oh yeah, and then the time(s) when he raped his wife.
    https://apnews.com/article/314a3a689dd3e15ebbc8d567dfadb06f

He is a racist, raper, ani mask, piece of crap.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Chuck Berry
    guess I should take my leave of this place, piece of shit drunken addict that I am.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Pete Townshend
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

And that he wrote Layla about George Harrison's wife that he was trying to bang.

He ended up marrying Patty, and that shit happened all the time back then.  You can read about Mick and Keith's issues.  Regarding his addiction and mistake, I tend to believe in redemption and atonement. 
    Keith Richards
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    MedozK said:

SRV is an omission. 
    He's not a standout player, I'll agree, but he's an excellent player.  Yngwie Malmsteen is a standout player, but his writing sucks in my opinion.  I think it depends on what they are considering when calling someone a 'great' guitar player.  To me, the writing is the most important and the most unique talent.  
    I do think it's a very important aspect, but even if you weigh it the heaviest he's still among the middle tier of these guitarists, isn't he?  Like I said to Dan, mastery of the instrument has to be a factor in determining the greatest player of said instrument, and Keith just falls well short of mastery.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Pete Townshend
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

He ended up marrying Patty, and that shit happened all the time back then.  You can read about Mick and Keith's issues.  Regarding his addiction and mistake, I tend to believe in redemption and atonement. 
    The taking of sex by force and the racist behaviors are ok because he was an addict?

You can explain away the friends wife thing and the racist horrible person bs if you want.
    We have different opinions on this.  Blaming drugs or alcohol doesn't excuse rape.  Ever.  

Pete Townshend
    mickeyrat said:
    guess I should take my leave of this place, piece of shit drunken addict that I am.
    Is your comment in response to my thinking Clapton is a dirtbag?
    I don't mean to offend you - although if you took sex by force, ever, I would think the same of you.
    That is not a stance vs. you, it is a stance vs rape.
    Chuck Berry
    mickeyrat said:
    I don't mean to offend you - although if you took sex by force, ever, I would think the same of you.

do you believe if he was sober he would have done these things?

not as an excuse but an explanation of atrocious behavior?

certainly is responsible for and accountable to , as all addicts and alcoholics are but surely the substance abuse mitigates that somewhat?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Chuck Berry
    and there are a fair amount of blackout and brownout nights that have me still looking over my shoulder

Pete Townshend
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

do you believe if he was sober he would have done these things?

not as an excuse but an explanation of atrocious behavior?

certainly is responsible for and accountable to , as all addicts and alcoholics are but surely the substance abuse mitigates that somewhat?
    Sorry, this is a heavy conversation for the music poll.  I know this is a personal subject for you - as rape can be/is for others.  What you choose to forgive and look beyond in judging a person is a personal matter for you.
    For myself, "I was drunk or high" doesn't mean I look past something like sexual abuse.  Does it color why they have have done what they did?  Yes, of course, I think that could be the case.
    I've done lots of things while under the influence that I likely not have done sober.  That doesn't make them or any effects surrounding them go away, though.
This discussion has been closed.