Options

Favorite early 80s New Wave / Punk Bands

2»

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    brianlux said:
    M.D.C.
    This cut has it all.  Beatnik bass, free jazz drumming, jitterbug guitar, shock-eyed vocals.  Hit it!

Great band who could play their asses off. Classic debut album. I saw them once or twice in '84 I think. I still have the flyers somewhere. 
    There’s no way that is fun people kicked & punched for fun, to they weren’t that good at all 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,763
    ^^^I hear you.
    Whenever I go to those shows I know what I'm getting into and avoid getting hit or kicked unless I want it and then the one who kicked might get it back. It's hard to explain and would never expect everyone to understand. Kind of a bunch of people with mild cases of self-destructive behavior...all out to have their own type of 'good' time...get it out of their system. In my experience when the music stopped it was over.
    I'd have a problem if it spilled out upon people unexpectedly. I'm sure it inflamed many peoples' unstable mental state while simply giving most just the release they needed...but that's punk rock.

It's probably a good thing not to understand!
    Take care
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,981
    Loujoe said:
    Hot^^^^got to get your stack to a museum somewhere someday!!!

Spent at least 20 minutes of my teenage life contemplating the different meanings of MDC. I didnt know multi death corporations. The ones I remember start with 'millions of dead'
    Yeah @Guy Dudebro isn't MCD Millions of Dead Cops?  Was that just a play on words with them?  Friggin Subhumanz at that show too?  Man.

Rodney on the Roq!  KROQ baby!
  • Options
    Played my subhumans tape silly as a kid. These lyrics sit with me still...
    'No I don't beliveve in christ,
    My mother died of cancer when I was five.
    (Blah blah something something)
    No I don't belive in religion, I was forced to go to church.
    I WASN'T TOLD WHY!!
    No I don't believe in the police force, police brutality isn't a dream.
    No I don't believe in the system, cause nothing it does does makes sense to me.
    It's a system full of ignorance, you're just part of what I despise. 
    YES you're part of the f..king system, I'm not blind to see your lies"

Something sweet like that...my poor mother had to hear me cranking this stuff. I turned out ok I guess!!!!!

• Options
    I'll ride the flashback a bit. I was part of this fanzine thing that a band member from the Necros started. I'd get a typed letter mailed to my house with tons of musical suggestions. Would also sit around and tape songs off college radio shows. Inroduced me to Underdog, The Dirt (I wanna play with my cat), Dead Kennedy's (steal your mail) that was the first dk song I heard and loved how funny and crazy it sounded. I spent a lot of time with music. I was so attracted to that punk hardcore stuff. Must have been something about the dangerous family vibe that surrounded it.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,981
    Flex Your Head is the album that changed my life and brought me into the Hardcore Punk world.  Jamming to Danzig and Samhain before Misfits actually because they were current.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    M.D.C.
    This cut has it all.  Beatnik bass, free jazz drumming, jitterbug guitar, shock-eyed vocals.  Hit it!

Great band who could play their asses off. Classic debut album. I saw them once or twice in '84 I think. I still have the flyers somewhere. 

You saw them- Fantastic! 
    I first saw this on that great punk film, "American Hardcore".  I might have to pull that out tonight and watch it again.  Great stuff and it's been a while.
    I remember hearing MDC for the first time on Rodney. His show on Sunday night and his Top 20 in Flipside fanzine served as my record shopping guide. But I still can't figure out why I don't have a copy of the Dream Syndicate EP...

Found the flyer too!

That first Dream Syndicate EP is out there and often at a good price.  I paid too much for an original a good while back and then later duplicated it with this, a good way to go because it includes excellent re-issues of the EP plus Days of Wine and Roses plus a 7":

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345

That first Dream Syndicate EP is out there and often at a good price.  I paid too much for an original a good while back and then later duplicated it with this, a good way to go because it includes excellent re-issues of the EP plus Days of Wine and Roses plus a 7":

Nice! I'll look for that reissue. Thanks for the tip!