Favorite early 80s New Wave / Punk Bands

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
I was immediately drawn to these genres when I was in middle school.

My favorites were:

Pretenders
Devo
Blondie
Boomtown Rats
The Clash

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones, Wire, and Television come to mind immediately but the Pistols were done by then and the the others, though still active, were past their peak.  I'm not sure weather to include one of my all-time favorite bands, The Replacements, because though punk influenced, they were more  rock and roll than punk.  So for me that leaves:

Bad Brains
    The Bongos
    Gary Numan and the Tuebway Army
    Japan
    Mission of Burma
    The Pretenders
    The Psychedelic Furs
    The Violent Femmes

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Oingo Boingo
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Dead Kennedys
    Misfits
    Minor Threat
    Talking Heads
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    dankind said:
    Oingo Boingo
    I was always amazed how Boingo could sell-out an 18,000 seater 3x over Halloween in Orange County, CA, but would not even come close in other cities.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    dankind said:
    Oingo Boingo
    I was always amazed how Boingo could sell-out an 18,000 seater 3x over Halloween in Orange County, CA, but would not even come close in other cities.
    I used to have one of those shows on CD. I don't know if it was an official release, but it was a great show! Wish I was in the right place at the right time. And now I need to see if I can find that show on vinyl!

Oingo Boingo is always my first answer re: bands you wish you had the opportunity to see.

I saw Devo on your list. My eight-year-old son is a huge spudboy! I remember being the same at his age. Drove my mom crazy! :lol: Maybe now his, too.... :rofl:

We spin them regularly here.

Also, I call out "are we not men?" to find him in the house when he's upset. We've worked out a code: If he answers "we are Devo," then I know he wants to talk about it; if he doesn't answer, he needs to be left alone (or the "ghost maid" got him, depending on whom you ask :weary: ).  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    dankind said:
    Oingo Boingo
    I used to have one of those shows on CD. I don't know if it was an official release, but it was a great show! Wish I was in the right place at the right time. And now I need to see if I can find that show on vinyl!

Oingo Boingo is always my first answer re: bands you wish you had the opportunity to see.

I saw Devo on your list. My eight-year-old son is a huge spudboy! I remember being the same at his age. Drove my mom crazy! :lol: Maybe now his, too.... :rofl:

We spin them regularly here.

Also, I call out "are we not men?" to find him in the house when he's upset. We've worked out a code: If he answers "we are Devo," then I know he wants to talk about it; if he doesn't answer, he needs to be left alone (or the "ghost maid" got him, depending on whom you ask :weary: ).  
    I was never a huge Boingo fan....I loved their first EP, but lost interest after that.

I will never forget when I saw DEVO on SNL.....like nothing I had ever seen before.....rivals the famous David Bowie SNL appearance from 1979!
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    Came across these guys and their story a little while ago...pretty crazy. And the 35 year old songs that they finally recorded are pretty damn good!

https://www.basicelementsmusic.com 
    timdwilli said:
    Came across these guys and their story a little while ago...pretty crazy. And the 35 year old songs that they finally recorded are pretty damn good!

https://www.basicelementsmusic.com 
    If Rodney on the ROQ endorses them then I’ll probably like them.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Black Flag, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie, Talking Heads, Violent Femmes Devo
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Subhumans
    Exploited
    Black flag
    Circle jerks
    Casualties
    It gets blurry what is punk and what is hardcore for me.
    Mohawk=punk
    Shaved head=hardcore
    Long hair=metal or deadhead
    Me=all of the above

• Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342
    This sums up 1982 for me. 

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Replacements, Discharge, Crass, Minor threat, the cure, Misfits...  this list could really go on and on forever.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Dead Kennedys
    Misfits
    Minor Threat
    Talking Heads

Three of your four should be on my list.  Face palm!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    The Wipers 
    FEAR
    Bad Religion 
    Social Distortion 
    Husker Du
    Minutemen 
    Sonic Youth 
    The Replacements 
    The Cure
    Depeche Mode
    Tears for Fears
    New Order
    Echo And The Bunnymen 
    The Police 
    Jesus and Marychain 

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    My friend got me a Wipers record. I never heard them yet. Will have to give it a spin. So much music!
    Cool to throw the police in there. They definitely had that New wave punk edge rock sound.
    Replacements, Discharge, Crass, Minor threat, the cure, Misfits...  this list could really go on and on forever.
    Discharge and Crass, the best before 84.  Two awesome bands!
    brianlux said:
    Dead Kennedys
    Misfits
    Minor Threat
    Talking Heads

Three of your four should be on my list.  Face palm!
    Which one doesn't?
    Loujoe said:
    My friend got me a Wipers record. I never heard them yet. Will have to give it a spin. So much music!
    Cool to throw the police in there. They definitely had that New wave punk edge rock sound.

I've heard Wipers are a great band but I too am not familiar with them.  Let us know what you think.

• dufferduffer Posts: 135
    Totally my era (I'm 56) 
    The Damned 
    Stranglers 
    Buzzcocks 
    SLF
    Siouxsie and the Banshees 
    Blondie (still in love with Debbie 😍)

Sat drinking wine
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2021
    simple minds had more than 17 great songs ... and jim dated my chrissie so he's my ultimate hero
    Simple Minds - White Hot Day

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    The Jam 
    XTC
    Clash 
    Souxie & the banshees 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The Jam 
    XTC
    Clash 
    Souxie & the banshees 
    Great list...I wish I would have been able to see XTC live...I had one chance in the early 80s, but then they stopped playing live after Andy's stage fright kicked-in.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    The Jam 
    XTC
    Clash 
    Souxie & the banshees 
    Great list...I wish I would have been able to see XTC live...I had one chance in the early 80s, but then they stopped playing live after Andy's stage fright kicked-in.
    Yeah it’s too bad they never could keep touring I would of droppe big $$$ to see them live doing Skylarking songs!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Another one I really like.

Joy Division
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Another one I really like.

Joy Division
    I like Joy Division. I think of them more of a 70s band since Ian Curtis died in May 1980. But they did still have popularity in the early 80s.

M.D.C.
    This cut has it all.  Beatnik bass, free jazz drumming, jitterbug guitar, shock-eyed vocals.  Hit it!

brianlux said:
    M.D.C.
    This cut has it all.  Beatnik bass, free jazz drumming, jitterbug guitar, shock-eyed vocals.  Hit it!

Great band who could play their asses off. Classic debut album. I saw them once or twice in '84 I think. I still have the flyers somewhere. 
    brianlux said:
    M.D.C.

Great band who could play their asses off. Classic debut album. I saw them once or twice in '84 I think. I still have the flyers somewhere. 

You saw them- Fantastic! 
    I first saw this on that great punk film, "American Hardcore".  I might have to pull that out tonight and watch it again.  Great stuff and it's been a while.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    M.D.C.

You saw them- Fantastic! 
    I first saw this on that great punk film, "American Hardcore".  I might have to pull that out tonight and watch it again.  Great stuff and it's been a while.
    I remember hearing MDC for the first time on Rodney. His show on Sunday night and his Top 20 in Flipside fanzine served as my record shopping guide. But I still can't figure out why I don't have a copy of the Dream Syndicate EP...

Found the flyer too!

Hot^^^^got to get your stack to a museum somewhere someday!!!

Spent at least 20 minutes of my teenage life contemplating the different meanings of MDC. I didnt know multi death corporations. The ones I remember start with 'millions of dead'