MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Brewers don't have a WS title, but the Milwaukee Braves won the 1957 World Series with a lineup that included Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews and Warren Spahn.  Hank Aaron won MVP that year and Warren Spahn collect a Cy Young award.
    I would symbolically add a N.E.S. system in each dugout that would require the manager to hit the reset button in order to quit in the middle of an inning.  Maybe force them to blow air with their mouth into the N.E.S. for several minutes in frustration before the next inning can resume as well.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wedge a matchbook in between the cartridge and the rack to make the game start?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Wedge a matchbook in between the cartridge and the rack to make the game start?
    LOL.  Why not?  Heck, a few seasons ago I think about around 1/3rd of the teams were using a Game Genie for implementing cheat codes for hitting.  The players famously had one back in the 90's.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    Those fans at the Mets/Marlins game is making me miss no fans at the games. We get it. You know how to whistle 
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    igotid88 said:
    Those fans at the Mets/Marlins game is making me miss no fans at the games. We get it. You know how to whistle 
    Last year there were guys with a bull horn I think?  Outside the stadium, blowing it every opponents at bats and I remember the coach complaining about it.  It's baseball, not golf, get over it.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    igotid88 said:
    Last year there were guys with a bull horn I think?  Outside the stadium, blowing it every opponents at bats and I remember the coach complaining about it.  It's baseball, not golf, get over it.
    It gets annoying here the same person whistling. Or making some type of noise. Especially when there aren't a lot of people. A lot of things are annoying me now. Like these new commercials where they repeat themselves or make nonsensical sounds.
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2131402

MLB testing multiple experimental rule changes in minor leagues

Major League Baseball announced plans to test a variety of experimental rule changes across the minor leagues in 2021 on Thursday.

Each level of the minors will become a testing ground for at least one new rule. The changes are MLB's latest attempt to increase the number of balls in play and the pace of games.

Triple-A will feature new larger bases that are 18 square inches, up from the longtime standard of 15. It's hoped this will lead to more stolen bases and runners reaching base on ground balls. Injury concerns also prompted the change.

In Double-A, a ban on extreme defensive shifts will be tested, also in an effort to increase balls in play. The new rule will force teams to play at least four defenders on the infield with "both feet completely in front of the outer boundary of the infield dirt." This will be in effect for at least the first half of the Double-A season. Depending on the results, MLB may require clubs to play two infielders on each side of second base during the second half.

High-A leagues will adopt the "step off rule" that was previously tested in the independent Atlantic League. Pitchers will be called for a balk if they don't completely disengage from the rubber before throwing to a base. This rule is designed to increase stolen bases.

The Low-A circuits will feature several unique changes. All Low-A pitchers will be limited to two pickoff attempts per plate appearance. If a pitcher tries for a third pickoff but the runner is safe, he'll be charged with a balk.

The new Low-A Southeast League will also test an automatic strike zone system previously used in the Atlantic League and Arizona Fall League. The league is set to use additional timers to increase the pace of play as well, including between the delivery of pitches.

MLB has been working to fix numerous on-field issues following several years of rising home-run and strikeout numbers and decreasing balls in play. One new step has been taken at the MLB level this year with the introduction of slightly deadened baseballs.

Former Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein joined the league office as an on-field issues consultant this offseason. Former Miami Marlins executive Michael Hill also joined MLB as its senior vice president of on-field operations.

The minor-league seasons will begin in May.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Jason P said:
    I would symbolically add a N.E.S. system in each dugout that would require the manager to hit the reset button in order to quit in the middle of an inning.  Maybe force them to blow air with their mouth into the N.E.S. for several minutes in frustration before the next inning can resume as well.

LOL

So glad that baseball is back. Crazy that we were in FL for Spring Training last year.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Anybody see that Bobby Witt HR?
    Halos.

They have some prospects coming up including a soon to be ace in Detmers.  Then there is Adell and Adams.  Keep Trout and Ohtani  healthy w Rendon in the mix and you've got something.

Walsh replacing Pujols at first will be nice.  Walsh hitting would be even better.

Let's go Angels!
    Halos.

They have some prospects coming up including a soon to be ace in Detmers.  Then there is Adell and Adams.  Keep Trout and Ohtani  healthy w Rendon in the mix and you've got something.

Walsh replacing Pujols at first will be nice.  Walsh hitting would be even better.

Let's go Angels!
    They will be great in the next couple of years.

tempo_n_groove said:
    Anybody see that Bobby Witt HR?
    BOMB. He should be in The Show this year, but I bet he's in AAA.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Bobby Witt along w Kelenic, Julio and a few others, will most likely head down so they can keep them under contract control a little longer.  Wander too.

All of them look ready.
    Bobby Witt along w Kelenic, Julio and a few others, will most likely head down so they can keep them under contract control a little longer.  Wander too.

All of them look ready.
    They sure do. KC will be solid for awhile if they can keep them all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

All of them look ready.
    They sure do. KC will be solid for awhile if they can keep them all.
    I like the speedster Mondesi that plays for them.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2137693

Blue Jays CEO has 'good information' teams will be vaccinated in 2-4 weeks
    10h ago

After shortening the 2020 campaign due to the coronavirus pandemic, Major League Baseball is set to play a full 162-game schedule in 2021 with the vaccine rollout still underway.

And one top executive may know information regarding the league's plan to get the majority of players and team staff vaccinated by early May.

"We've got fairly good information that the vaccine will be accessible to our players and other major-league teams in the next two to three weeks or month," Toronto Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro told Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic.

Shapiro also discussed his club's potential return to Toronto after opening the season in Florida.

"So that if by the end of April or early May, all of our players or the bulk of our players and staff are vaccinated and other teams are as well and Toronto is a safe place, it starts to feel like the reasons for us not to be there, the risks start to be mitigated," he continued. "I would say that when we start to have that material progress that we see the vaccinations actually happening, we will start to formalize an ask."

Toronto Mayor John Tory recently extended the cancellation of public events in the city until July 1. The Jays announced their intention to open the 2021 season at their spring training facility in Dunedin and stay there through May 2. After embarking on a 10-game road trip, the Jays' next home game is scheduled for May 14.

MLB proposed a plan to postpone the season by one month and play a 154-game campaign, allowing time for players and staff to get vaccinated before the start of play. However, the MLBPA rejected the proposal because it also included expanded playoffs and a later end to the season.

The majority of MLB teams have already announced their intention to allow fans back into stadiums while limiting capacity. NBA and NHL clubs have done the same, though Canadian NHL teams continue to play without fans in attendance due to government guidelines. The NBA's Raptors, meanwhile, are playing their season in Tampa, but still with limited fans.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yo we’re a couple days away from a 162 season with fans. Doesn’t seem real 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The Rangers having a full stadium just seems so fucking beyond dumb.
    Guess it fits.
    They should have make out booths.  
    Maybe a giant communal lollipop.
    The Rangers having a full stadium just seems so fucking beyond dumb.
    Guess it fits.
    Texas gonna Texas.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    mfc2006 said:
    Halos.

Let's go Angels!
    They will be great in the next couple of years.

"two years away from being two years away."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Anybody have a VPN+MLBtv for dummies?

Why they make it so hard for people to watch? 
    DewieCox said:
    Anybody have a VPN+MLBtv for dummies?

Why they make it so hard for people to watch? 

For the first 2 weeks of the season it is generally free for all games on TV if you have cable, in the states. 
    After that it costs some dough unless you root for your in market team.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I just watch Cardinals, my in market team. Cut Dish last year and went to Hulu Live, who have both dropped Foxsports/Bally Now there’s no way to watch without dropping $100+/month. It’s just maddening  they don’t offer anything remotely reasonable for in market fans.
    DewieCox said:
    I just watch Cardinals, my in market team. Cut Dish last year and went to Hulu Live, who have both dropped Foxsports/Bally Now there’s no way to watch without dropping $100+/month. It’s just maddening  they don’t offer anything remotely reasonable for in market fans.

In LA, for a while at least - not sure if it is still a thing, you could not get Dodgers with basic cable.  That seems wrong, wrong, wrong.

I never lived in market for my favorite team (Reds) so it has always been buy some sort of expensive package or catch on occasion.  (And the first 2 weeks of the season, for free, which is the only time they generally are within reach of 1st place.  :lol:         )
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    A dastardly April Fools joke by Tom Brady. 

I was actually at three of the Expos final home games. My friends and I drove up to see their last series against the Phillies, and had fucking awesome time in Montreal. I always like the Expos. Fuck the Nationals. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    So Mets/Nats game is cancelled due to Covid concerns, yet the Rangers are playing to a sell out crowd today? 

Fuck you, Texas. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So Mets/Nats game is cancelled due to Covid concerns, yet the Rangers are playing to a sell out crowd today? 

Fuck you, Texas. 
    That's a bummer.  I was looking forward to that game this evening