Options

How did the concert poster become so popular?

gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I know a LOT of people here are borderline obbsessed with the concert posters, and I got to thinking, how did they become so popular? I know it's cool to bring something home with you, but I'm not into the posters. The one's I like are the tour posters, such as the Avocado or the Big Wave. So, not meaning to offend anyone, but, how did they become so popular to reach prices such as $500 on Ebay?
Happiness is only real when shared
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    The popularity is a direct reflection of the insanity of the fans and their never ending desire to spend their first and last dollar on anything and everything Pearl Jam.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The simple fact that they're rare.

...just like a potato chip which looks like Jesus selling for thousands.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    LoriDee64LoriDee64 Posts: 75
    CJMST3K wrote:

CJwHaTEVer...

I am laughing my ass off! Ain't that the truth!! Ha Ha Ha...*I takes a "breath"...*

I think you won the big prize for posting today.

Who Are You And Where Do I Live?...I Think I Love You....
    BOUNDLESS
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    The popularity is a direct reflection of the insanity of the fans and their never ending desire to spend their first and last dollar on anything and everything Pearl Jam.

there has never been a truer set of words put together so perfectly to answer a question so precisely.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I agree that the amount spent on posters is ridiculous, but it is nice to take something that symbolizes the concert that you specifically were at. Although I only have one (eventhough I've had the oppurtunity for more), and wouldn't go nuts if I didn't get it.

Also, some of them just happen to be fucking cool.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I only want the posters to the shows I attend. Why would fans want posters to shows they weren't at.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,194
    Zoso wrote:
    I only want the posters to the shows I attend. Why would fans want posters to shows they weren't at.

Because some are highly collectible. Remember, only a few hundred of any given poster are screenprinted by hand and then they're gone. Plus, if I went to a show where the poster was fugly, I would probably get a poster from another show on the tour to enjoy.
    East Rutherford 2 and Cleveland come to mind.
    Still, my favorite remains from the 93 show attended at The Gorge:
    http://static.flickr.com/72/154207100_18dd9ec131.jpg
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    my fav is Uniondale 2003 that is a pretty cool design. Melbourne 2003 is also a very good one with a 'super hero' theme to it.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,869
    i just get the ones of the shows i attended, and the few that i think have asesome art, such as DC and Cinncy 03. I missed Camden I if anyone has an extra and would be willing to trade.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    OH MAN. POSTER PEOPLE ARE CRRRRAZY!!!! SACRIFICING GOOD QUALITY HANG OUT TIME IN PARKING LOTS BEFORE SHOWS WITH FELLOW BOARD MEMBERS TO GO IN AND BE THE FIRST TO GET A POSTER!!!! :eek:

I DONT KNOW IF IVE POSTED THIS YET BUT, IN CHICAGO, MY FRENZ, SLUDAWG AND PJAMMIN' LEFT THE PRE PARTY MEGA EARLY TO BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO GET IN THE VENUE FOR A POSTER. SOMETHING HAPPENED WHEN THEY WERE SCANNING TICKETS. PJAMMIN' WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY ONE IN THE VENUE BECAUSE AFTER HIS TICKET WAS SCANNED, THE SCANNERS BROKE AND NO ONE WAS ALLOWED IN!!! :eek: THAT FOO WAS RUNNING AROUND GETTING POSTERS LIKE A MADD MAN!!!! HAHAHAHA HE WAS TAKING ORDERS FROM PEOPLE IN LINE THAT WERE DYING TO GET A POSTER!!! HAHAHAHA I DONT GET THE POSTER CRAZE. U GOTTA BE CAREFLOW WITH THEM SUPPOSEDLY DURING A SHOW, WHILE U TRAVEL. THERES JUST NO POINT. BUT WHATEVER. ITS ALL GOOD. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    I learned the importance of posters a few years ago....i.e. which ones are rare must haves and the art detail. I definitely buy the posters of the shows I go to, but I've also invested in others. I wouldn't say I'm "obsessed", but I've been known to get a little crazy on ebay over certain posters. I'm proud of what I've obtained thus far. For me, they're a fun thing to collect that doesn't take up much space. Looking forward to adding more. :)
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

Thats funny :D
    Rapid City 98
  • Options
    rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    vmfury wrote:
    I learned the importance of posters a few years ago....i.e. which ones are rare must haves and the art detail. I definitely buy the posters of the shows I go to, but I've also invested in others. I wouldn't say I'm "obsessed", but I've been known to get a little crazy on ebay over certain posters. I'm proud of what I've obtained thus far. For me, they're a fun thing to collect that doesn't take up much space. Looking forward to adding more. :)

I'm the same way.
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn