Options

The Bird Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    We used to have a good deal of hawks and peregrines when I lived in the Fenway. I remember taking a jog around the fens while blasting some music, and I felt this rush of wind and the ground beneath my feet actually trembled. Startled out my headspace removed my headphones and saw one of those birds (too fast to determine which) pummel a squirrel on the ground a bit and take off. Pretty awesome stuff. Unless you're the squirrel, of course.

Another Boston bird story. Goddamn aggressive seagull around City Hall stole my Dunks glazed right out of my hand. Wings slapping me in the head the whole time. It was very Hitchcock.
    That bird knew an asshole when he saw it.  Good on it.
    Yes. Squirrels are supreme assholes. 
    I was talking about the seagull!
    Also assholes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited March 2021
    A pigeon just flew down the chimney into my front room.  Talk about make me jump, I screamed and ran into the garden. I then opened the front door from outside the house and luckily it found it's way outside and flew away.  Talk about freak me out! I'm gonna need to recover from this. I can see why people have a fear of birds.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    A pigeon just flew down the chimney into my front room.  Talk about make me jump, I screamed and ran into the garden. I then opened the front door from outside the house and luckily it found it's way outside and flew away.  Talk about freak me out! I'm gonna need to recover from this. I can see why people have a fear of birds.
    If the bird can fly in then the ambers can fly out.  You need a screen on the top of that chimney.

Glad the pigeon didn't wreak any more havoc in your place, lol!
  • Options
    That is interesting.  I've seen the 2 headed snake but never a mixed breed sex of bird.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    That is interesting.  I've seen the 2 headed snake but never a mixed breed sex of bird.  
    So basically this bird can go *&#! itself?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    If the bird can fly in then the ambers can fly out.  You need a screen on the top of that chimney.

Glad the pigeon didn't wreak any more havoc in your place, lol!
    Good idea!
  • Options
    Yesterday I went for a quick birding trip and spotted a red bellied woodpecker, a mating pair of cardinals where the male had the sun shining on him very nicely, sparrows and some starlings.  Also another bird I couldn't find but heard the damn thing.
  • Options
    I’ll add this in the Wildlife thread too. Out at silver point each club here on Long Island there was a Snowy Owl sighting. One seems to come around every year and I’ve made two attempts to find it but came up short. 
    I went out yesterday and found a she. Female snowy owl. A rare birding treat. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Awesome!!!! Do you use a scope?

Out here by a pond in nj there is a small mixed flock of ducks hanging out.
    1 Hooded Merganzer 
    10ish ring necked ducks
    2 maybe 3 wood ducks cruising the edge.

A nice treat to see.

Last year I saw mad amounts of warblers. They are cool if you get lucky when they are cruising through. 

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    That's a beautiful snow owl. Nice shot!
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome!!!! Do you use a scope?

Out here by a pond in nj there is a small mixed flock of ducks hanging out.
    1 Hooded Merganzer 
    10ish ring necked ducks
    2 maybe 3 wood ducks cruising the edge.

A nice treat to see.

Last year I saw mad amounts of warblers. They are cool if you get lucky when they are cruising through. 

I put my phone right up to my binoculars for these shots.  I have an attachment but forgot it so this was improvisation which was difficult but I got the shots.

Hooded Merganser is one of my faves I saw this year.  Such a cool bird!
    That's a beautiful snow owl. Nice shot!
    I am beyond happy to have seen this, thanks!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Saw this couple sitting on my balcony porch earlie. They were there for like 15-20 minutes or so.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    this big black vulture was keeping me company while fishing. Good sign....right?

"Make sure we're properly dead before you start ol rip-beak!"

Seemed like maybe it was a fledgling. Went back and didn't see signs of it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Recently had two merlins hang out for a couple days while they were migrating through.  They kept battling a bunch of crows for territory in this tree outside my back porch.  The peregrines have a protected nesting area on the hill behind my apartment, though I've yet to see one in my 8 years living here.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

I see what you did there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    back in July I saw this tropical migrant. Scarlet Tanager. It was taking an ant bath. Tucking them under its wings. Nature blows my mind.
    Strikingly beautiful bird. Not unlike Larry.