The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Big JT fan but pulling for Westwood here. Would be a very cool win for a great career 
    Welp...not gonna happen
    Also, was a little drunk on my sawgrass comment. I generally stick to the take but this is fun
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I like this better than a US Open grind at Shinnecock.  Very exciting.  Hoping Westwood has a birdie still in him on 17 or 18.   He knows he has to be aggressive.
    Wow, lucky bounce on that drive on 18.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I keep waiting for someone to back into the water.

looks like JT has this.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    bbiggs said:
    I’ve always liked Sawgrass. Reminds me of the original Tiger Woods game. Played Sawgrass on that nonstop back in the late 90’s
    Haha. Same exact thing here. PlayStation 
    Nothing like skipping an Econ class in the morning to play a quick 18 at Sawgrass....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    bbiggs said:
    I’ve always liked Sawgrass. Reminds me of the original Tiger Woods game. Played Sawgrass on that nonstop back in the late 90’s
    Nothing like skipping an Econ class in the morning to play a quick 18 at Sawgrass....
    I downloaded the PGA 2k21 last night because it was half off.  I haven't played a golf game in years.  
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I downloaded the PGA 2k21 last night because it was half off.  I haven't played a golf game in years.  
    It's pretty hard. I played it a bit last summer.
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    It's pretty hard. I played it a bit last summer.
    Great... it will be like real life. I can't wait to unload a raft of doubles. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I really like PGA 2K21  Putting is really hard at first and takes a bit to get used to.  But once you get that figured out it's really fun.  They've added a few more courses since it first came out so I think it's up to almost 20 actual courses in the game.  The only downside is that you can't play as any of the actual players that are "featured" in the game....can only play as your own player that you create.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I like PGA 2K as well. I used to play the hell out of the Tiger Woods EA games. One thing that is weird about 2K is the three courses that were on EVERY Tiger game (Sawgrass, Pebble, St. Andrews) aren't on it. But the courses they do have are great (including some make-believe courses) and the game is pretty good. Once it gets too easy, you can adjust settings to make it harder. When I play career mode, I set the opponent difficulty so that they shoot about 10 or 11 under. I wish online play was better though. Tiger used to have a "simultaneous stroke" mode where you and your opponent would play the hole at the same time and you'd just see the ball streak of your opponent. In this game, you have to sit and watch your opponent hit his shot. No thanks. I'll just stick to career mode.

Also, to follow up on Sawgrass, you guys ever hear of the "Worst Golfer in the World" competition that Golf Digest had in the 80's? They took four avid (but terrible) golfers and put them on Sawgrass. The "winner" shot 257. He took a 66 on #17. After hitting countless balls in the water, he gave up trying to hit the green, and began just chipping up the path to get to the green. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited March 2021
    I read that you can go online and there are hundreds of fan made courses that are replicas of Augusta,  Andrews, etc. So even though they're not licensed,  you can play them anyway. Anyone try that?
    mrussel1 said:
    I read that you can go online and there are hundreds of fan made courses that are replicas of Augusta,  Andrews, etc. So even though they're not licensed,  you can play them anyway. Anyone try that?
    I haven't but maybe I'll check it out. Other than career mode, I haven't explored much else. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited March 2021
    I like PGA 2K as well. I used to play the hell out of the Tiger Woods EA games. One thing that is weird about 2K is the three courses that were on EVERY Tiger game (Sawgrass, Pebble, St. Andrews) aren't on it. But the courses they do have are great (including some make-believe courses) and the game is pretty good. Once it gets too easy, you can adjust settings to make it harder. When I play career mode, I set the opponent difficulty so that they shoot about 10 or 11 under. I wish online play was better though. Tiger used to have a "simultaneous stroke" mode where you and your opponent would play the hole at the same time and you'd just see the ball streak of your opponent. In this game, you have to sit and watch your opponent hit his shot. No thanks. I'll just stick to career mode.

Also, to follow up on Sawgrass, you guys ever hear of the "Worst Golfer in the World" competition that Golf Digest had in the 80's? They took four avid (but terrible) golfers and put them on Sawgrass. The "winner" shot 257. He took a 66 on #17. After hitting countless balls in the water, he gave up trying to hit the green, and began just chipping up the path to get to the green. 
    I think it would be cool to see a tournament made up of regular weekend warrior amateur golfers attempt to play Sawgrass or Augusta or something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852

I think it would be cool to see a tournament made up of regular weekend warrior amateur golfers attempt to play Sawgrass or Augusta or something. 
    Bethpage black eats golfers too.  First time they had the tourney there only Woods was under par.

That would be cool. Or even a celebrity tournament like the Lake Tahoe one, but at championship course under championship conditions. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah there are plenty of replicas out there online you can play.  I've done a couple Augusta replicas that were pretty spot on.  I should check out some others but I've mainly been sticking to the career mode.  
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited March 2021
    Playing the Seaside Course at Sea Island on Wednesday. Just hoping not to embarrass myself. 
    Wow, how's this for timing? We were just talking about Tiger Woods Golf

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-2k-games-video-game/

chinese-happy.jpg

That's cool.  I played it for the first time last night.  I shot a -2 on the medium level.  Tee to green wasn't too hard.  Putting was pissing me off as I kept missing low side.  
    mrussel1 said:

That's cool.  I played it for the first time last night.  I shot a -2 on the medium level.  Tee to green wasn't too hard.  Putting was pissing me off as I kept missing low side.  
    A tip is that you only have to move the cursor left or right to account for the break. Distance-wise, the marker starts in the right place. Once you get down moving the cursor left or right for the break, I think it's easier to putt on this game than the Tiger EA games. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:

A tip is that you only have to move the cursor left or right to account for the break. Distance-wise, the marker starts in the right place. Once you get down moving the cursor left or right for the break, I think it's easier to putt on this game than the Tiger EA games. 
    Yeah I figured that after I rammed an uphill 30 footer off the green.  Felt like real life. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Shot 84 today. Left an 80 out there. Hopefully shoot a little better tomorrow. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    Golf rules. 40 degrees out. Playing the first real course I’ve played in a year. Showing up late while we’re on the tee, shoes untied. “This might be ugly, boys”... pipe a drive. Perfect 8 in to 20 feet. Burned the birdie putt for a couple inch tap in par. 

Cold topped the next tee shot 
    Nothing better than roasting your tee shot on the 1st.  But come on now Cliffy, can't be late for a tee time!
    Technically it wasn’t my fault. I went in the pro shop for balls/tees and dude took forever 
    Technically it wasn’t my fault. I went in the pro shop for balls/tees and dude took forever 

Yeah it happens.  Those early morning tee times always get me because I usually have to take a dump in the clubhouse 2 mins before teeing off.  But for real, nothing worse than the guy in your group who always shows up late for tee times.  

70 and sunny tomorrow here...teeing off at 2pm.  First local round of the year.  Played 72 holes in West Palm Beach a couple weeks ago and it was glorious.  

Yeah it happens.  Those early morning tee times always get me because I usually have to take a dump in the clubhouse 2 mins before teeing off.  But for real, nothing worse than the guy in your group who always shows up late for tee times.  

70 and sunny tomorrow here...teeing off at 2pm.  First local round of the year.  Played 72 holes in West Palm Beach a couple weeks ago and it was glorious.  
    It’s 70 in Chicago tomorrow? Cold as fuck here today. I’m not the late guy. I’ll be there but I’m hungover as shit wishing I wasn’t there until the first green. Then I’m all in. Enjoy dude
    Wish I bet more on spieth for the masters.