Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 - ROUND 4

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
With Rolling Stone Magazine updating their Top 500 albums of all time, I figured since most of us don't exactly agree with lists, we could take a look at their Top 10 and establish the true best album of all-time.

So here we are in ROUND 4 to determine the BEST album in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the album that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove another two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to the Finals.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Albums of ALL-TIME
1. Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 3)
2. The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
3. Joni Mitchell, 'Blue' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 1)
4. Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'
5. The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
6. Nirvana, 'Nevermind' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 3)
7. Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 2)
8. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 2)
9. Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
10. Lauryn Hill, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 1)

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 - ROUND 4 29 votes

The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
27%
goldrushcutzRS151862Abe Fromanmrussel1PJ_Souljoe159SmallestOceans 8 votes
Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'
44%
PoncierpledgeagrievanceGlowGirlAyeeeeBLACK35eddiecPapbrianluxHobbestempo_n_grooveGarasaurasrgambsGlorified KC 13 votes
The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
6%
Tim Simmonsdankind 2 votes
Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
20%
2-feign-reluctanceDukeSpiritGibsontbergsLoujoeF Me In The Brain 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,828
    edited March 2021
    Great songs and stories. Just not as exciting to my eardrums as the others..
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,828
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,071
    Pet Sounds is one of the more overrated albums of all time IMO 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    Pet Sounds is one of the more overrated albums of all time IMO 
    I agree.  I'm sure it felt very revolutionary for the time, but I don't think it has aged well.  Compare it to other records that were considered revolutionary and there's a stark difference to me.  
  • Options
    It's hard to understand how Kind of Blue isn't on their list. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    I think Pet Sounds is a cut above the others left.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Pet Sounds vs. Sgt. Peppers... would have been an epic showdown.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    What I find funny about Abbey Road being the only Beatles album is that it represents a time when they were basically only a band in name and the least together. George had already quit and come back and Yoko had inserted herself, at John's behest, in the studio. Still a great album, but definitely a sign of the end.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    Hobbes said:
    Pet Sounds vs. Sgt. Peppers... would have been an epic showdown.
    Agreed.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,035
    Beach boys haterz

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think Freewheelin' is the best Dylan album.  Sorry, not sorry.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Beach boys haterz

Not at all. I like them and I like Pet Sounds...a lot. I just don’t think it’s anywhere near one of the best of all time
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I think Freewheelin' is the best Dylan album.  Sorry, not sorry.
    I agree. And one of the best records of all time. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It should be. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    mrussel1 said:

This... times 10! Or even 100!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    Beach boys haterz

I love the Beach Boys and have since day one.  Also, I will admit that Pet Sounds is not the most fun Beach Boys album nor the one I have listened to the most (the one's I've listened to most often are Surfer Girl, Shut Down Vol. 2 and The Beach Boys Today!  But the greatest albums are not always ones that get spun the most.  Pet Sounds is one of those for me.  I never casually listen to that record.  It really requires being in the right place, being willing to listen absolutely fully and, for me anyway, being willing to be totally vulnerable to some very heavy emotions.  It's just that big an album to me.  But I get it that not everyone hears it that way.  It's not what I would call "an easy album".  But definitely ranks with the best, if not THE best.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,281
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGc6RMOYF8
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Tough list! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Beach boys haterz

I love the Beach Boys and have since day one.  Also, I will admit that Pet Sounds is not the most fun Beach Boys album nor the one I have listened to the most (the one's I've listened to most often are Surfer Girl, Shut Down Vol. 2 and The Beach Boys Today!  But the greatest albums are not always ones that get spun the most.  Pet Sounds is one of those for me.  I never casually listen to that record.  It really requires being in the right place, being willing to listen absolutely fully and, for me anyway, being willing to be totally vulnerable to some very heavy emotions.  It's just that big an album to me.  But I get it that not everyone hears it that way.  It's not what I would call "an easy album".  But definitely ranks with the best, if not THE best.
    I totally agree.  Sloop John B is a song that I have to stop and listen to.  So much going on in that song that I have to take it all in.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited March 2021
    I understand that there is artistry behind this album - I've seen that biopic, lol - but I really don't care for The Beach Boys. Pet Sounds has only one song on it that I really like.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I understand that there is artistry behind this album - I've seen that biopic, lol - but I really don't care for The Beach Boys. Pet Sounds has only one song on it that I really like.
    boooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Blood on the Tracks vs. Abbey Road basically equals the bottom of this particular barrel for me, but I'm also not at all surprised to see the women, POC and albums displaying stellar experimental musicianship voted out on a Pearl Jam (white dad rock) fan site.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Where was Thriller on their list?  How that isn't a top 10 candidate is beyond me.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Where was Thriller on their list?  How that isn't a top 10 candidate is beyond me.
    It was #12
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Blood on the Tracks vs. Abbey Road basically equals the bottom of this particular barrel for me, but I'm also not at all surprised to see the women, POC and albums displaying stellar experimental musicianship voted out on a Pearl Jam (white dad rock) fan site.
    It's hard to understand why you even frequent the site, considering the clear racism here. 
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    It was #12
    Haters...
    Thanks Kev.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    It's hard to understand why you even frequent the site, considering the clear racism here. 
    Not much different than anywhere else, really. And I point it out wherever I see it: schools, police forces, workplaces, among social interactions, and yes, even a dad rock band's fan site.

I have made many wonderful friends here, so I regret to inform you that I'm probably not going anywhere. You can feel free to ignore my posts if you never like what I have to say, though.

Thread integrity: Abbey Road isn't even the best album made at the studio for which it's named.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Not much different than anywhere else, really. And I point it out wherever I see it: schools, police forces, workplaces, among social interactions, and yes, even a dad rock band's fan site.

I have made many wonderful friends here, so I regret to inform you that I'm probably not going anywhere. You can feel free to ignore my posts if you never like what I have to say, though.

Thread integrity: Abbey Road isn't even the best album made at the studio for which it's named.
    Your assumptions are interesting, and only assumptions.  You're not pointing out what is reality, only what you believe to be true. If I had my druthers, I would have voted for KOB as the best album of all time.  That doesn't quite fit your narrative though.  Tempo asked about Thriller.  Are you Experienced would have been in my top personal top ten, along with Blue Train, along with Come Away With Me.  In fact, the only "rock" albums in my top ten would have been Jimi, DSOTM and Exile.  
    But yeah, no POC, women, etc. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Your assumptions are interesting, and only assumptions.  You're not pointing out what is reality, only what you believe to be true. If I had my druthers, I would have voted for KOB as the best album of all time.  That doesn't quite fit your narrative though.  Tempo asked about Thriller.  Are you Experienced would have been in my top personal top ten, along with Blue Train, along with Come Away With Me.  In fact, the only "rock" albums in my top ten would have been Jimi, DSOTM and Exile.  
    I guess you could look at everyone's top 10 list too and go from there?

Some people just don't like the music would be my guess?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

For the record, just in case anyone else had the same misreading: I never called anyone here a racist. I was pointing out that I wasn't surprised that a white dad-type majority of music fans will choose white dad music over funk, hip hop, soul, more experimental soundscapes.

Run this same poll over on Zappa's fan site or Beyonce's fan site, and you'd likely get different results, also somewhat informed by the race, generation of the respondents.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.