• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Blood on the Tracks vs. Abbey Road basically equals the bottom of this particular barrel for me, but I'm also not at all surprised to see the women, POC and albums displaying stellar experimental musicianship voted out on a Pearl Jam (white dad rock) fan site.
    It's hard to understand why you even frequent the site, considering the clear racism here. 
    Not much different than anywhere else, really. And I point it out wherever I see it: schools, police forces, workplaces, among social interactions, and yes, even a dad rock band's fan site.

I have made many wonderful friends here, so I regret to inform you that I'm probably not going anywhere. You can feel free to ignore my posts if you never like what I have to say, though.

Thread integrity: Abbey Road isn't even the best album made at the studio for which it's named.
    Your assumptions are interesting, and only assumptions.  You're not pointing out what is reality, only what you believe to be true. If I had my druthers, I would have voted for KOB as the best album of all time.  That doesn't quite fit your narrative though.  Tempo asked about Thriller.  Are you Experienced would have been in my top personal top ten, along with Blue Train, along with Come Away With Me.  In fact, the only "rock" albums in my top ten would have been Jimi, DSOTM and Exile.  
    But yeah, no POC, women, etc. 
    For the record, just in case anyone else had the same misreading: I never called anyone here a racist. I was pointing out that I wasn't surprised that a white dad-type majority of music fans will choose white dad music over funk, hip hop, soul, more experimental soundscapes.

Run this same poll over on Zappa's fan site or Beyonce's fan site, and you'd likely get different results, also somewhat informed by the race, generation of the respondents.
    Pet sounds is a monumentally experiment of sounds!  It's the album I like the best from the list as I don't listen to the beetles...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Blood on the Tracks vs. Abbey Road basically equals the bottom of this particular barrel for me, but I'm also not at all surprised to see the women, POC and albums displaying stellar experimental musicianship voted out on a Pearl Jam (white dad rock) fan site.
    It's hard to understand why you even frequent the site, considering the clear racism here. 
    Not much different than anywhere else, really. And I point it out wherever I see it: schools, police forces, workplaces, among social interactions, and yes, even a dad rock band's fan site.

I have made many wonderful friends here, so I regret to inform you that I'm probably not going anywhere. You can feel free to ignore my posts if you never like what I have to say, though.

Thread integrity: Abbey Road isn't even the best album made at the studio for which it's named.
    Your assumptions are interesting, and only assumptions.  You're not pointing out what is reality, only what you believe to be true. If I had my druthers, I would have voted for KOB as the best album of all time.  That doesn't quite fit your narrative though.  Tempo asked about Thriller.  Are you Experienced would have been in my top personal top ten, along with Blue Train, along with Come Away With Me.  In fact, the only "rock" albums in my top ten would have been Jimi, DSOTM and Exile.  
    But yeah, no POC, women, etc. 
    For the record, just in case anyone else had the same misreading: I never called anyone here a racist. I was pointing out that I wasn't surprised that a white dad-type majority of music fans will choose white dad music over funk, hip hop, soul, more experimental soundscapes.

Run this same poll over on Zappa's fan site or Beyonce's fan site, and you'd likely get different results, also somewhat informed by the race, generation of the respondents.
    I would agree with this.  I'm sure Ye's page would not have Pet Sounds on the board still. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    I honestly don't understand why anyone would list great music based on anything other than the merits of the music itself in keeping with that individual's exposure to music (meaning that I would cut some slack toward someone who has yet found their way into certain forms of music, especially jazz).  I don't see anyone here intentionally listing their choices or voting out any particular album based on race, gender or preference of style.  Anyone really interested in music will find their choices grow and change. When I was 12 years old, my top ten albums would have been all surf music and bubble gum.  When I was 17, it would have grown to include something by Hendrix, Cream, John Mayall, Santana and Sandy Bull.  When I was in my mid 20's it would include Coltrane and Sun Ra.  At my age, a lot of records I wish I could include, like those Sandy Bull and Sun Ra records that are so phenomenal, get edged out in a list that is ridiculously short at only ten!  One of the reasons my perceptions changed over the years is because I've always hung out with music fanatics and several of those people turned me on to musics I had been unaware of and did so in an encouraging way rather than berate my tastes of tell me I was full of shit.  It's so much better to lead someone to open new doors rather than put them down.  I hope I'm reading wrong some of the responses here that seem overly critical of what others choose.

My top ten list would include Carole King's Tapestry, Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, and the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds, not because I want to appear gender inclusive or politically correct on race or because I have a penchant for blonde haired, blues eyed suburbanite boys from Southern California, but because these are outstanding records based on what I know about (at the very least) some basic knowledge of music.   I don't understand why a periodical devoted to music for several decades would not include those records on their list.  I'm not sure what their parameters are for choosing.  Is it really about the music?  Or is it based on current trends?   Or their slant on political correctness? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
    Well said,  Brian
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
    brianlux said:
    I honestly don't understand why anyone would list great music based on anything other than the merits of the music itself in keeping with that individual's exposure to music (meaning that I would cut some slack toward someone who has yet found their way into certain forms of music, especially jazz).  I don't see anyone here intentionally listing their choices or voting out any particular album based on race, gender or preference of style.  Anyone really interested in music will find their choices grow and change. When I was 12 years old, my top ten albums would have been all surf music and bubble gum.  When I was 17, it would have grown to include something by Hendrix, Cream, John Mayall, Santana and Sandy Bull.  When I was in my mid 20's it would include Coltrane and Sun Ra.  At my age, a lot of records I wish I could include, like those Sandy Bull and Sun Ra records that are so phenomenal, get edged out in a list that is ridiculously short at only ten!  One of the reasons my perceptions changed over the years is because I've always hung out with music fanatics and several of those people turned me on to musics I had been unaware of and did so in an encouraging way rather than berate my tastes of tell me I was full of shit.  It's so much better to lead someone to open new doors rather than put them down.  I hope I'm reading wrong some of the responses here that seem overly critical of what others choose.

My top ten list would include Carole King's Tapestry, Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, and the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds, not because I want to appear gender inclusive or politically correct on race or because I have a penchant for blonde haired, blues eyed suburbanite boys from Southern California, but because these are outstanding records based on what I know about (at the very least) some basic knowledge of music.   I don't understand why a periodical devoted to music for several decades would not include those records on their list.  I'm not sure what their parameters are for choosing.  Is it really about the music?  Or is it based on current trends?   Or their slant on political correctness? 

If anyone is actually serious about a poll on a legacy music act’s website derived from a legacy music publication’s list—well, that’s their prerogative, I guess.  

That being said, I’ll stick with my prejudice that anyone who voted against Pet Sounds is a godless savage.

:lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

If anyone is actually serious about a poll on a legacy music act’s website derived from a legacy music publication’s list—well, that’s their prerogative, I guess.  

That being said, I’ll stick with my prejudice that anyone who voted against Pet Sounds is a godless savage.

:lol:

Serious as slamming into a brick wall! :lol:

Heres How Badly Your Favorite Toy Cars Do in a 124 MPH Crash Test

I’ll stick with my prejudice that anyone who voted against Pet Sounds is a godless savage.
    LOL, I hear ya!  That's a hot topic.  Let's get Brian in here to put out the fire!
    Brian Wilsons Smile  Beryl Porters In One Ear
    "Say what?"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds' and Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life' have been eliminated
This discussion has been closed.