The Golf Thread

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:
    I wonder if a guy like Tiger wants to play the senior tour though. 
    Wasn't Nickalus very reluctant too?

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    Tiger, then Jack, then everyone else. Come on now. 
    This.

Except for the fact that Jack has more majors.  Isn't the argument that Jordan is better than Lebron connected to titles?  Is Brees better than Brady because he has better stats?
    It is not as simple as that. Lebron has never had any debilitating injury that caused him to miss a lot of time. He has 4 rings right now and, I believe, has actually had a longer NBA career at this point that MJ's. That's a strike against him in my book. 

BUT...If Lebron missed a sizable chunk of a decade and still finished with 4 championships and had much better stats that Jordan (ala Tiger blowing Jack out of the water regarding total wins maybe), I think the people you're referencing here would be more inclined to say he's better or at least as good as MJ. 
    I don't see how you hold LBJ's durability against him.  To me,  it's the opposite.  Mario is always second to Wayne in the pantheon of hockey.  Had Mario not had cancer and a back issue,  maybe Mario is the Great One.  

Majors = titles in my book.  You get four title shots per year. 

Yeah but...who cares about hockey?
    Me, plenty of people.  The analogy holds regardless. 
     I am talking about the major sports though. 
    Baseball, football, basketball,  hockey.  Big 4.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Except for the fact that Jack has more majors.  Isn't the argument that Jordan is better than Lebron connected to titles?  Is Brees better than Brady because he has better stats?
    It is not as simple as that. Lebron has never had any debilitating injury that caused him to miss a lot of time. He has 4 rings right now and, I believe, has actually had a longer NBA career at this point that MJ's. That's a strike against him in my book. 

BUT...If Lebron missed a sizable chunk of a decade and still finished with 4 championships and had much better stats that Jordan (ala Tiger blowing Jack out of the water regarding total wins maybe), I think the people you're referencing here would be more inclined to say he's better or at least as good as MJ. 
    I don't see how you hold LBJ's durability against him.  To me,  it's the opposite.  Mario is always second to Wayne in the pantheon of hockey.  Had Mario not had cancer and a back issue,  maybe Mario is the Great One.  

Nah. It's like that age old Cricket argument of who's better between Sachin Tendulkar and Donald Bradman. Then of course there are the delusional Viv Richards' fanatics. Give me a break!

chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Nah. It's like that age old Cricket argument of who's better between Sachin Tendulkar and Donald Bradman. Then of course there are the delusional Viv Richards' fanatics. Give me a break!

Dude please.  You're arguing that hockey is at the same level as cricket in this country? You can't even be a little serious.  

Don't tell me you don't know who Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky are.  I can honestly say I don't know those names you wrote  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Dude please.  You're arguing that hockey is at the same level as cricket in this country? You can't even be a little serious.  

Don't tell me you don't know who Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky are.  I can honestly say I don't know those names you wrote  
    I put it a hair above cricket, just a notch below badminton. I mean, come on. You ever see the way Taufik Hidayat pounds a shuttlecock? That Indonesian sum' bitch broke records in his sleep. I'd like to see some "goalie" try the same thing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

I put it a hair above cricket, just a notch below badminton. I mean, come on. You ever see the way Taufik Hidayat pounds a shuttlecock? That Indonesian sum' bitch broke records in his sleep. I'd like to see some "goalie" try the same thing. 
    Let me know when you're ready to discuss men's sports again. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Bout the same time you discover sarcasm. We'll circle back then. Meantime, time for me to hit the hay. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Bout the same time you discover sarcasm. We'll circle back then. Meantime, time for me to hit the hay. 
    Haha, well I'm as sarcastic as they come, but I don't know where your opinion is ending and sarcasm beginning on the topic.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Anyone familiar with courses in the West Palm Beach area?  Going down in a couple weeks for a golf weekend and looking for some suggestions....

trump might be looking to fill out a foursome.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

Haha, well I'm as sarcastic as they come, but I don't know where your opinion is ending and sarcasm beginning on the topic.  
    If the badminton analogy didn't work for you, I don't know what to tell you. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

I'm way upstream from that.  I still don't understand how you think LBJs reliability is somehow a mark against his greatness.  Is that sarcasm? You can see how that belief could lead someone to question everything. 
    I'm on a plane now to Naples, three rounds in three days,  two at Tiburon ( black and gold) and one at a club.  Can't frigging wait.  Tiburon Black will kick your ass all day. Brutal course. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm on a plane now to Naples, three rounds in three days,  two at Tiburon ( black and gold) and one at a club.  Can't frigging wait.  Tiburon Black will kick your ass all day. Brutal course. 
    Super exciting!  Have a great time.  Don't worry about your score.
    edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Jumb0 said:

Best golfers all time
    1- Bobby Jones
    2- Tiger Woods
    3- Golden Bear
    4- Sam Snead
    5- Ben Hogan
    This.

I'm way upstream from that.  I still don't understand how you think LBJs reliability is somehow a mark against his greatness.  Is that sarcasm? You can see how that belief could lead someone to question everything. 
    Listen, Salmon Sam, putting your unexplained utter contempt for the wonderful world of badminton aside for a moment...

I believe your point was that Jordan is better than Lebron simply because he has more rings and Tiger isn't better than Jack because he doesn't have enough majors. My point was that it is not as simple as that and there are a ton of other factors that come into play (comparable stats, level of dominance vs competition, comparing the eras they played, eye ball test, total wins in Tigers case, etc etc etc).

Lebron's reliability is not a mark against his greatness. That's ridiculous. I did not say that. I was pointing out that he has had more chances of getting a ring than Jordan had and still is two short. To me, that's a knock against him just with comparing to MJ--but its not the end all be all. Tiger has had less chances than Jack and still came close in majors but also blows him away with total wins and was more dominant in his heyday than Jack was. So my overall point is it is not a black and white issue. Championships/majors matter greatly, but they're not everything. Dan Marino was probably better than close to 99% of the quarterbacks who have won super bowls yet he never won one himself.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    jack had better competition.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Well this thread has turned into an episode of First Take.

Awesome field this week for the WGC.  Crazy that they got this course ready for a PGA tournament in only 6 weeks....
    Wobbie said:
    Players of today are the best there have every been.  Tiger won a major two years removed from spinal fusion surgery and was one stroke away from winning the FedEx cup his first year back after surgery.  

Tiger in prime would still be crushing it against the best fields ever right now.
    Day one ends with the death of a $9k golf cart...

Wobbie said:
    Players of today are the best there have every been.  Tiger won a major two years removed from spinal fusion surgery and was one stroke away from winning the FedEx cup his first year back after surgery.  

Tiger in prime would still be crushing it against the best fields ever right now.

gotta remember equipment. jack had lee, arnie, player, casper, etc. tiger, in his prime, had phil.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:

WTF??????

drinking?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

WTF??????

drinking?
    I'll tell the story later... but yeah...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Wobbie said:
    He needs to hire a driver.  This is third high profile car incident for him.  I’d hate it too but when you make that much money you need to hire someone.  
    Dibs on that job! :tongue:

he doesn’t tip.
    Counterpoint: he gives waitresses more than the tip.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Played my best round of 2021 yesterday. Shot an 80. Hopefully can build on that today. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    JojoRice said:
    Played my best round of 2021 yesterday. Shot an 80. Hopefully can build on that today. 
    That is one hell of a round. Congrats!

I am finally seeing some 50's and 60's in the forecast. Hoping to get out once or twice next week. Been over two months
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JojoRice said:

I am finally seeing some 50's and 60's in the forecast. Hoping to get out once or twice next week. Been over two months
    I've got a round set for noon tomorrow in Williamsburg,  which has excellent courses.  51 degrees and no rain for the past week.  Chilly but playable. 
    edited March 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

I've got a round set for noon tomorrow in Williamsburg,  which has excellent courses.  51 degrees and no rain for the past week.  Chilly but playable. 
    Definitely playable. I'm usually a 45 degree and over guy myself, depending on the wind. So for me to have gone over two months, that gives you an idea of how horrible a winter we've had in the Delaware Valley. Brutal. 

I did sneak out to the range the other day and hit some balls finally. It did not go as poorly as I envisioned...so that's a plus. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

Definitely playable. I'm usually a 45 degree and over guy myself, depending on the wind. So for me to have gone over two months, that gives you an idea of how horrible a winter we've had in the Delaware Valley. Brutal. 

I did sneak out to the range the other day and hit some balls finally. It did not go as poorly as I envisioned...so that's a plus. 
    Yep, it's all about the wind.  It's supposed to be sunny so as long as the wind is calm, it will be perfectly fine for me. I'd rather it be 40 and sunny than 90 and sunny. 
    mrussel1 said:

it could have been worse. the parking brakes on john deere gators aren’t worth a fuck. my boss did this; not me.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    we used to have fake rocks as tee markers. they were OK but some were getting pretty beat (drunken cart driving, I suspect). then, two years ago, the pro decided the front nine would become the back nine and vice versa. everyone thought it was a dumb idea, but we replaced all the fake rocks with heavy brass signs, to the tune of $22,000. we now have a new pro and are changing back to the old layout. So we got new signs again. I don’t like them. we should have just ground down the numbers on the brass signs and added new (old) numbers. I especially don’t like the font on the new signs.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mrussel1 said:
    JojoRice said:

Last played in early December.  Can't imagine I'll be playing around here any sooner than the end of this month.  All the snow is just about melted but since we had about 2-3 feet everything is completely soaked....will take awhile for courses to be in even semi-playable conditions.  But I do have a nice long weekend in west palm beach coming up where we'll be playing at least 72 holes....can't wait!
    The greens at my course open in two days.  Won’t have time to play but nice to know they will be there if I do.