Options

Boston Poster fiasco

2»

Comments

• Options
    As I said in the Cleveland fanviews thread, it's on the honor system so unless a ticket was given to you when you picked up or received your show tickets there really isn't any way to enforce it. Even that idea has its flaws.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    sometimes the people working behind the merch booth can be lax with this policy

I would believe this - I was looking at one of the limited edition hoodies for my daughter, and they said they were holding it back for someone else (who wasn't there and hadn't paid yet). I'd think whoever is next in line would be the one with the next chance to get it....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    There were still some Hoodies for sale at the merch tables in Boston after the show... Maybe they were smalls?
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    The easy thing to do is print tonnes of posters for each show. No 10C member cares that they can sell a poster for $100. If the market is flooded, the posters won't be worth more than $25 then. I would rather have a $25 poster on the wall and know that I can get one at any show I go to rather than have a $100 poster on the wall and have to scratch and claw my way to one before a show. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy a poster after the show?
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    JaneNY wrote:
    I would believe this - I was looking at one of the limited edition hoodies for my daughter, and they said they were holding it back for someone else (who wasn't there and hadn't paid yet). I'd think whoever is next in line would be the one with the next chance to get it....

gah

my daughter wants one of these in the worst way

"oh my god it's the most beautiful thing i've ever seen IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!! ::shriek::"

yeah uhm. think 15, then it makes sense

; )

edited to add:

it is REALLY very special and unusual. the dredg hoodie she just got looks fantastic with it's buds on the left bottom rising like a vine (sweet), but the pj limited is very different for a band hoodie.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    The poster costs $25 inside... To get one I have to line up early at the door before it opens, hustle to a merch stand when the doors open and fight with the other collectors to get the attendant to sell me one... Now I have my poster and I'm in the venue over 2 hours early buying overpriced food and the beverages of my choice... Then I have to protect the poster from all of the assorted hazards we all know are in there at a PJ concert, the drunken fools, the jealous types pissed they didn't get one, the spilled food and beer, the bumps and grinds getting out after the show... Plus miss out on the tailgating or partying at a local pub...

So now my 2nd option is to pay what, 60 or so bucks more for some little wench to do all that work for me and then mail it to my home, while I enjoy myself with no worries...

Seems like a bargain to me...

Another thought... I only buy the posters I like... So now I run up there early and I don't like the poster... Now I'm stuck with the overpriced food and beer and I didn't even like/buy the damn thing...

The moral of the story is where there's a market, there will be people willing to do the work to provide the supply and make a little extra scratch... Don't begrudge them...

If you want to really cure the problem... One poster per person... Punch a hole in the ticket stub and mark their hands with a sharpie... Very easy cure...

couldn't have said it any better. some people will wait really early to make some money off of the merch at shows. hell, I saw someone buy one of those ltd. edition hoodies WHILE PUTTING THE OTHER ONE ON in Chicago - bought the last XXL one they had. settled for an XL and ended up selling it on eBay and broke even - but I had to try getting a hoodie after attempting two days in a row.

you know what? it's a good suggestion to have posters sold online, but I doubt that'd stop anything. all of them are printed in limited quantities, meaning 10c people would buy them all up in a flash then see if any of them are worth selling off on eBay.
  • Options
    kDoGG3n4kDoGG3n4 Posts: 228
    I missed out on Boston 1....because the 3 people ahead of me bought 5 each?

I really wanted 1....cause I knew I was getting 1 for the second show...now my trip is not complete
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    tschav wrote:
    couldn't have said it any better. some people will wait really early to make some money off of the merch at shows. hell, I saw someone buy one of those ltd. edition hoodies WHILE PUTTING THE OTHER ONE ON in Chicago - bought the last XXL one they had. settled for an XL and ended up selling it on eBay and broke even - but I had to try getting a hoodie after attempting two days in a row.

you know what? it's a good suggestion to have posters sold online, but I doubt that'd stop anything. all of them are printed in limited quantities, meaning 10c people would buy them all up in a flash then see if any of them are worth selling off on eBay.

there won't be profiteering if they limit it to one poster per FC membership.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    The poster costs $25 inside... To get one I have to line up early at the door before it opens, hustle to a merch stand when the doors open and fight with the other collectors to get the attendant to sell me one... Now I have my poster and I'm in the venue over 2 hours early buying overpriced food and the beverages of my choice... Then I have to protect the poster from all of the assorted hazards we all know are in there at a PJ concert, the drunken fools, the jealous types pissed they didn't get one, the spilled food and beer, the bumps and grinds getting out after the show... Plus miss out on the tailgating or partying at a local pub...

So now my 2nd option is to pay what, 60 or so bucks more for some little wench to do all that work for me and then mail it to my home, while I enjoy myself with no worries...

Seems like a bargain to me...

Another thought... I only buy the posters I like... So now I run up there early and I don't like the poster... Now I'm stuck with the overpriced food and beer and I didn't even like/buy the damn thing...

The moral of the story is where there's a market, there will be people willing to do the work to provide the supply and make a little extra scratch... Don't begrudge them...

If you want to really cure the problem... One poster per person... Punch a hole in the ticket stub and mark their hands with a sharpie... Very easy cure...

you make a good point here. at the same time, its the people buying 10 posters that make it so people who only want one have get to the show early and have to kick and fight to get one.
  • Options
    Alessiana wrote:
    there won't be profiteering if they limit it to one poster per FC membership.

if every 10c member could get one per show, there'd still be eBay sellers.
    where there is a will, there's a way.
    (just playin' devil's advocate here)
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    you make a good point here. at the same time, its the people buying 10 posters that make it so people who only want one have get to the show early and have to kick and fight to get one.

One of the posts above suggested printing tons... He's right... Then there's no limit on supply and thus the market dries up... I buy to have not to make money later... Print enough that you can get'em on the way out... Other side of that coin is then they aren't really "special"... and a waste of there's leftovers...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    maybe then up the quantity and price together?
    double the prints and make the posters $30-35 to cover any excess loss - or if anything push the extras to the goods store where some of us can pick them up after the show...?
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    The posters came in handy big time!! giving 1 away landed me 10th row center the first night and 9th row center the second! very worth it if you ask me. Night 2 I even got one for myself too:)

I was being offered up to $150 for it and tons of free bootlegs and tapes. but i just gave it to a guy for free who let my scootch in:)
  • Options
    Boston 2 is pretty sweet- a lot nicer than the cartooney Boston 2...this is someones ebay auction with a pic up...I personally think this ebay bs is disgusting already.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-2006-BOSTON-5-25-tour-poster-print_W0QQitemZ7623533211QQcategoryZ104989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Boston 2 is pretty sweet- a lot nicer than the cartooney Boston 2...

:confused:

huh ??????
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    that story with the girl and the six posters really sucks! Lets hope noone bids on her ill gotten gains!
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I saw the dude at the Detroit show with a huge arm full. I thought abouht knocking him down and bending all his posters.

That said, I don't have a problem with buying a couple and selling one on Ebay. Especially, if it is someone to support their PJ habit. If I could attend an entire tour, I always thought this would be a good way to cover some expenses. I have paid VERY big money on a poster off ebay. Twice I have paid VERY big money. St. Louis '98 and NYC MSG '03. I have also sold a few posters on ebay.
    tacos
  • Options
    PlaLEashPlaLEash Posts: 75
    The boston 2 poster is much better. I couldn't get a boston 1 poster they were sold out, due to hording bitches....Boston 2 was sold out in loge but i went up to the balcony, after reading a post about not having a prob there the first night and was able to get two with ease...They will hang happily on my and my girlfriends wall...I agree w/ the pain in the ass the posters are...but they are a great way to relive the experience....it was like protecting a small child between the poster, wrapped in a collectors hoodie..
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Next time you see someone with a bunch of rolled up posters, just give them a squeezing ( the posters not the person ) there goes the ebay value

and make sure they are not tougher then you !
  • Options
    All i want is a chicago night two poster for a reasonable price.
    apparently reasonable to alot of people is $75 .
    Horseshit.
    When they announce a southern leg, i am gonna go to a show and buy as many posters as i can and sell them to everyone on here for cost.
    Fuck these motherfuckers. Take your fucking greedy asses elsewhere.
    We dont need you and we sure as fuck dont want you.
    Fuck this pisses me off and i think the 10c should do something about it.
    Dammit i am frustrated.
    7/11/95, 6/29/98, 10/09/00, 6/18/03, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 8/05/07
  • Options
    Between my fiance and I, we got 3 posters at the Boston I show. One went to repay the guy that let us stay at his house for the show, one wen to my brother who is a die-hard fan, but couldn't make it to Boston this time (made it with us before... from Washington), and the last went to us! HOWEVER, I would fully understand a poster limit rule that was enforced. I think the smartest way would be to offer 2 posters for each set of tickets being bought for 10C members... then have a few extras at the show being sold...
  • Options
    PS... I had a guy sitting in front of me (he was in the 1st row, and I was BLESSED with 2nd row tickets from a friend (usually I'm 12 to 18)) that gave me Mike McCreedy's polo shirt for a non-bent poster. He had his bent from the guy behind him. He traded the shirt straight across for a pristine poster. crazy...
  • Options
    i was one of the first ppl through the door at boston 2, and the old fuck in front of me on the merch line says "4 posters please", and the guy goes "here ya go, $100 please." i was pissed.

i always say they should mark your ticket. you buy a poster, they punch your ticket, or stamp it or whatever. you go for a poster, they say "ticket please" and if your ticket is marked, no poster for you....or they can mark your hand with a sharpie....... 2 days later my "B" from boston 1 is still there....

of course this would lead to ticket swaps, or scrubbing hands, but i believe it would be somewhat effective.

you just have to decide what's more important to you, tailgating time, or a poster. it's a sucky choice to have to make.

that's my 2 cents.
    peace.
    LP
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Between my fiance and I, we got 3 posters at the Boston I show. One went to repay the guy that let us stay at his house for the show, one wen to my brother who is a die-hard fan, but couldn't make it to Boston this time (made it with us before... from Washington), and the last went to us! HOWEVER, I would fully understand a poster limit rule that was enforced. I think the smartest way would be to offer 2 posters for each set of tickets being bought for 10C members... then have a few extras at the show being sold...

They probably hate you for laying that horrible piece of trash on them. Although, I guess you could put it up in a baby's room and it would fit in.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    I think it's ridiculous that I couldn't get a poster for Boston 1 because it got sold out quick. I did manage to buy 2 for Boston 2, only so I can hopefully trade with someone for Boston 1.

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    For any given show, offer 2 posters per 10club member provided they purchased 10club tickets for that show. Whatever's left can be sold at the show.