Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited February 2021
    Never had a need for one of those HR/GPS watches, still don't.. but I looked into them a couple days ago. Just wanna say holy shit. Some of em are much more expensive than laptops.

This is a must have, for me.  I did not break the bank, I went for a very basic tried/true one...a Polar M430.  Resisted going large a number of times.
    I use it to keep me on pace - to push me if I drop below where I want to be and, especially on the 15 mile plus runs, to slow me down in the first bunch of miles.
    I also tend to wander on some of the long runs and it helps me keep track of my mileage.
    The other thing that it is very good with is my heart rate.  It is not good for you to exceed your max heart rate -- on this, every bit of reading and discussion I have followed agrees.  When I ran my first 5k it was a course with a few large hills and at one point I pushed past 190.  Time to slow down.  Dropping dead is not a part of any plan, at least for me. 

Last - the app updates to my phone all everything to be tracked quite easily.

I love it.  Always had a nice Tag on my wrist and it was swapped out for an ugly/chunky Polar running watch. 
    At some point maybe I upgrade but for now I cannot imagine doing this stuff w/o it.
    For heart safety alone I would strongly suggest.  Pushing through it is how multiple people I know have had heart attacks.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633
    18 mins running / 12 mins walking....will move to 20/10 in a few days. 
    Breathing still needs work but day by day, getting closer.  Feels good to go 2.5 miles - cannot wait to rip off 5.  Know I need to be smart and keep things moving up in small increments.

Anyone have any races upcoming?

What I had on the schedule:
    St Pat's Boardwalk 10 Miler - cancelled
    Broad Street Run (10 Miler) moved from May to Fall, date tbd
    Harpoon 5k - usually in Sept, no word yet
    Moved the Run The Bridge (10k) a bit out to Nov 7
    Philadelphia Marathon still set for Nov 21
    No idea when I am going to do the 50k or 50 miler.  Guessing that is going to need to be solo.

Ideally there would be an event a month to make the training for the long runs more fun.
    Fucking Covid.

Just the one event for me now this year. The 100 miler in September. I have a 5 month training block starting in April. Until then I am just enjoying being out ticking over.

The hardest part is the new gear I have bought that I don't want to use until April... It's torture 😂
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    beano.79 said:
    Breathing still needs work but day by day, getting closer.  Feels good to go 2.5 miles - cannot wait to rip off 5.  Know I need to be smart and keep things moving up in small increments.

No idea when I am going to do the 50k or 50 miler.  Guessing that is going to need to be solo.

Ideally there would be an event a month to make the training for the long runs more fun.
    Fucking Covid.

Just the one event for me now this year. The 100 miler in September. I have a 5 month training block starting in April. Until then I am just enjoying being out ticking over.

The hardest part is the new gear I have bought that I don't want to use until April... It's torture 😂

What did you buy?

Very interested in your training for the 100 miler.  I am reading up on the training for my goal run but since I am still on the mend from the torn tendon I have not started planning yet.  Don't want to write checks I cannot cash....but soon.  Soon I will start!
    beano.79 said:

Fucking Covid.

What did you buy?

Very interested in your training for the 100 miler.  I am reading up on the training for my goal run but since I am still on the mend from the torn tendon I have not started planning yet.  Don't want to write checks I cannot cash....but soon.  Soon I will start!
    To cover the training and the race I need 2 pairs of shoes...I bought 2 pairs new balance fresh foam 1080v10. I've had v8 and V9 in the past and love them. Got some new shorts and socks too. Luckily I have the kit required for Ultras such as a running pack, soft bottles, mandatory kit list etc from previous races.

As for the training, I only ever run 3 times a week due to being on my feet all day everyday for work. My longest run won't be longer than 30 miles at peak but I will be doing back to back long runs so will follow this with a 15/20 miles at peak. Pretty much the same as the 100k training I did but a few weeks longer and more miles overall.

For the 100k I used a walk/run strategy and it got me around well in 13.5 hours so I will be adopting this again. The longest of my long training runs I will do this, with straight running for my 2nd weekend long run and then a 5/6 mile tempo run during the week.

Trying not to forget every few weeks to take a break 😂

I cannot wait to start, roll on April 🤙
    Awesome!
    Awesome!
    What is your goal run?
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome!
    What is your goal run?
    Haven't finalized.  Was 50M but might be 50K if it takes me too long to get back up to speed on training from the injury.  I still want the 50M but will see.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Fucking Covid.

What did you buy?

To cover the training and the race I need 2 pairs of shoes...I bought 2 pairs new balance fresh foam 1080v10. I've had v8 and V9 in the past and love them. Got some new shorts and socks too. Luckily I have the kit required for Ultras such as a running pack, soft bottles, mandatory kit list etc from previous races.

As for the training, I only ever run 3 times a week due to being on my feet all day everyday for work. My longest run won't be longer than 30 miles at peak but I will be doing back to back long runs so will follow this with a 15/20 miles at peak. Pretty much the same as the 100k training I did but a few weeks longer and more miles overall.

For the 100k I used a walk/run strategy and it got me around well in 13.5 hours so I will be adopting this again. The longest of my long training runs I will do this, with straight running for my 2nd weekend long run and then a 5/6 mile tempo run during the week.

Trying not to forget every few weeks to take a break 😂

I cannot wait to start, roll on April 🤙
    Wow...Just wow!!

Fucking Covid.

Excellent work. It sounds like you are making great progress with getting back up to speed. I don't have any races coming up. I generally don't do them. But I have done a few charity 5K runs for pancreatic cancer. My brother-in-law died 3 years ago from it - so my whole family and his whole family participate in the run/walk. I may try a 10k when things get back to normal now that I have run that far several times on my own. Marathons are not on my radar at all. But, it is great you have that 50 miler as a goal. Good luck.

GlowGirl said:

Fucking Covid.

Excellent work. It sounds like you are making great progress with getting back up to speed. I don't have any races coming up. I generally don't do them. But I have done a few charity 5K runs for pancreatic cancer. My brother-in-law died 3 years ago from it - so my whole family and his whole family participate in the run/walk. I may try a 10k when things get back to normal now that I have run that far several times on my own. Marathons are not on my radar at all. But, it is great you have that 50 miler as a goal. Good luck.

Sorry about your BIL.  The reason I have done the 5k is because of it being for the cancer center my dad went to and my sister being the lead fundraising team for years on end.

A 10k would be nothing for you, now.  You would rock right through it.
    GlowGirl said:

Fucking Covid.

Sorry about your BIL.  The reason I have done the 5k is because of it being for the cancer center my dad went to and my sister being the lead fundraising team for years on end.

Thanks. I just realized that in two days it will be the three year anniversary of his death. That was such a terrible time for my sister and my nieces and nephew. Time has healed as it usually does. My oldest niece is off to Syracuse in the fall. My BIL would have loved that.

I think I could do a 10K pretty easily now. I haven't run it in a while since I am limiting my treadmill run with a mask to 5 miles (that is about all I can take right now). But I hope in a few weeks I will be back outside. Once the temperature hits the 30s again with no ice or snow on the ground, I am good to go.

beano.79 said:
    Awesome!
    What is your goal run?
    Haven't finalized.  Was 50M but might be 50K if it takes me too long to get back up to speed on training from the injury.  I still want the 50M but will see.
    That's a good target 👍 I have to say my first (only) 100k was no harder than running my first marathon. It's just different, and if you make the appropriate adjustments to training and the way you run the race it's not so scary. You get to a certain distance where walking isn't 'cheating' but necessary at times in order to not only complete the distance but to do it quicker than you might otherwise. Unless you're elite, but let's be honest... Those guys are just freaks 🥴

Also with ultra running patience is key. 'clock watching' and mile counting just doesn't fit well 😅
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Fucking Covid.

Thanks. I just realized that in two days it will be the three year anniversary of his death. That was such a terrible time for my sister and my nieces and nephew. Time has healed as it usually does. My oldest niece is off to Syracuse in the fall. My BIL would have loved that.

I think I could do a 10K pretty easily now. I haven't run it in a while since I am limiting my treadmill run with a mask to 5 miles (that is about all I can take right now). But I hope in a few weeks I will be back outside. Once the temperature hits the 30s again with no ice or snow on the ground, I am good to go.

From what I feel, wearing a mask during PT, running a 5 miles in a mask, on a dreadmill, more than covers a 10k.  I would say it comes close to a 10 Mile.  Cannot breath in those frigging things - props to you for doing it.  
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome!
    What is your goal run?
    That's a good target 👍 I have to say my first (only) 100k was no harder than running my first marathon. It's just different, and if you make the appropriate adjustments to training and the way you run the race it's not so scary. You get to a certain distance where walking isn't 'cheating' but necessary at times in order to not only complete the distance but to do it quicker than you might otherwise. Unless you're elite, but let's be honest... Those guys are just freaks 🥴

Also with ultra running patience is key. 'clock watching' and mile counting just doesn't fit well 😅

Good words to read. 
    I do have a guy who is an inspiration to me...in his 50s, so older, but runs straight out for these things.  He was meant to do a 100 miler last year but it cancelled and his wife got cancer, so he was derailed.  Not sure if he would have run the entire thing but the times he shared for normal (non-Ultra) races were frigging ridiculous.  A freak, for sure.

Hhhmmmm.  Patience is key.  I am not an incredibly patient person and I measure pretty much everything I do.  Will do my best to heed this advice!  :lol:       
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Fucking Covid.

From what I feel, wearing a mask during PT, running a 5 miles in a mask, on a dreadmill, more than covers a 10k.  I would say it comes close to a 10 Mile.  Cannot breath in those frigging things - props to you for doing it.  
    Thanks. I am starting to get more used to it. Having the Under Armour sports mask made a difference. It is easier to breathe in it since it doesn't cover my mouth - it cups around it. However, because of that, it is thicker material - so while I can breathe in it easier than other masks, it is hotter than other masks. So, that part sucks. You are lucky you have a treadmill at home.

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Fucking Covid.

Thanks. I am starting to get more used to it. Having the Under Armour sports mask made a difference. It is easier to breathe in it since it doesn't cover my mouth - it cups around it. However, because of that, it is thicker material - so while I can breathe in it easier than other masks, it is hotter than other masks. So, that part sucks. You are lucky you have a treadmill at home.

Yes, I am soaked with sweat by the time I am done - would be 5-10x if I had to wear that fargin mask.

From -2c last week to 14c today, out in shorts and t shirt 😁

Nice brisk pace - I'm sure it was a beautiful two hours.  I dreaded the first five mins today but at the end of my 20/10 thirty minute mix I wanted to go another thirty.
    Nice brisk pace - I'm sure it was a beautiful two hours.  I dreaded the first five mins today but at the end of my 20/10 thirty minute mix I wanted to go another thirty.
    With things the way they are it's just really nice to get out for a couple of hours to clear the fog! 🥴
    Nice work today both of you. I really wanted to run outside but there are still too many slush puddles. Managed my 5 miles on the treadmill with the mask. Then did another mile of walking on a steep incline. I hope to get outside on Wednesday. I think we are supposed to get into the 40s. 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Never had a need for one of those HR/GPS watches, still don't.. but I looked into them a couple days ago. Just wanna say holy shit. Some of em are much more expensive than laptops.

This is a must have, for me.  I did not break the bank, I went for a very basic tried/true one...a Polar M430.  Resisted going large a number of times.
    I use it to keep me on pace - to push me if I drop below where I want to be and, especially on the 15 mile plus runs, to slow me down in the first bunch of miles.
    I also tend to wander on some of the long runs and it helps me keep track of my mileage.
    The other thing that it is very good with is my heart rate.  It is not good for you to exceed your max heart rate -- on this, every bit of reading and discussion I have followed agrees.  When I ran my first 5k it was a course with a few large hills and at one point I pushed past 190.  Time to slow down.  Dropping dead is not a part of any plan, at least for me. 

I love it.  Always had a nice Tag on my wrist and it was swapped out for an ugly/chunky Polar running watch. 
    At some point maybe I upgrade but for now I cannot imagine doing this stuff w/o it.
    For heart safety alone I would strongly suggest.  Pushing through it is how multiple people I know have had heart attacks.
    Heart safety is actually why I looked into them too. I am constantly at 170-180 during "moderate" intensity which should be 160. My body has no issues and I typically am not hurting, but my heart has gone up to 190 before and it makes me qorry a little. 
    edited February 2021

Heart safety is actually why I looked into them too. I am constantly at 170-180 during "moderate" intensity which should be 160. My body has no issues and I typically am not hurting, but my heart has gone up to 190 before and it makes me qorry a little. 

The polar version I shared is not expensive and easy to set up.  When I hit 190 I slow to a walk.  Not worth having a MI over.
    Also....not sure of your age.  If you are younger (I am almost 47) then 170-180 might not be so high.  If you are in your 40s, you shouldn't be doing moderate exercise and be at 170-180, I do not think - that is for high intensity stuff as I understand.  (And on shorter distances I spend a lot of time around 170 and routinely go higher on hills or sprints) 
    Would be worth asking a doc about, though, as I am not any authority on this and it is something to be careful with.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    I got to run outside today for the first time since January 27th. It was awesome. After the treadmill for so long, running outside was a bit harder because of the hills and wind. The treadmill is such a controlled environment. I lost about 10 seconds per mile in time compared to the treadmill. But who cares. I WAS OUTSIDE!!!!
    GlowGirl said:
    I got to run outside today for the first time since January 27th. It was awesome. After the treadmill for so long, running outside was a bit harder because of the hills and wind. The treadmill is such a controlled environment. I lost about 10 seconds per mile in time compared to the treadmill. But who cares. I WAS OUTSIDE!!!!

Great news! 

• It certainly is nice to be able to go outside again, especially when the sun is shining @GlowGirl :)

The polar version I shared is not expensive and easy to set up.  When I hit 190 I slow to a walk.  Not worth having a MI over.
    Also....not sure of your age.  If you are younger (I am almost 47) then 170-180 might not be so high.  If you are in your 40s, you shouldn't be doing moderate exercise and be at 170-180, I do not think - that is for high intensity stuff as I understand.  (And on shorter distances I spend a lot of time around 170 and routinely go higher on hills or sprints) 
    Would be worth asking a doc about, though, as I am not any authority on this and it is something to be careful with.
    I have the Polar chest strap and it works well. Just a bit more comfortable to wear a watch, and once I start running outside consistently, I'd rather not have to get my phone in and out of my pouch just to check. 

Thanks, man. I use the 220 minus age formula. Certainly need to ask my doc. I run real high for my age. Haha Feel fine though so I do the shoulder shrug

I have the Polar chest strap and it works well. Just a bit more comfortable to wear a watch, and once I start running outside consistently, I'd rather not have to get my phone in and out of my pouch just to check. 

Thanks, man. I use the 220 minus age formula. Certainly need to ask my doc. I run real high for my age. Haha Feel fine though so I do the shoulder shrug
    Good luck!
    Sometimes our body lies to us..... yesterday I was running and after five minutes I felt like I needed to slow down....looked and my heart rate was 150.  :lol:
    It was my first time running 20 minutes straight since the 26 2 in November.
    Was just being a wuss.  The watch confirmed and I powered through and felt great after 20.

Plan on going outside for a 20 minute run after work today.  Will be my first outside run since the 26.2, also.
    My PT made me promise not to overdo it, so it will be 20 minutes at a clip for a few days and see how things feel.

A good thing my fitness level is so off or I would really be tempted to go for 60, at least.

:lol:

Good luck!
    Sometimes our body lies to us..... yesterday I was running and after five minutes I felt like I needed to slow down....looked and my heart rate was 150.  :lol:
    It was my first time running 20 minutes straight since the 26 2 in November.
    Was just being a wuss.  The watch confirmed and I powered through and felt great after 20.

Plan on going outside for a 20 minute run after work today.  Will be my first outside run since the 26.2, also.
    My PT made me promise not to overdo it, so it will be 20 minutes at a clip for a few days and see how things feel.

A good thing my fitness level is so off or I would really be tempted to go for 60, at least.

:lol:

How did it go today? It was a beautiful day for an outside run. I had too much work today to take advantage. I will run tomorrow but it is supposed to rain so I will probably be back on the treadmill. 
    It was bullshit and glorious all at the same time.

Felt good near the end but the start sucked.  Need to get my wind back.  

If I ran a 9:26 pace, my HR will be at 180. My legs will be fine, breathing will be a little hard, but my chest will (apparently) be pounding. Maybe that's the new runner showing