Options

Yellow Penguin, Potentially the First of Its Kind, Spotted by Photographer on Island Trip

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/people.com/pets/first-yellow-penguin-photographed/%3famp=true

with all the shit going on.  This brought a smile.  Nature is great and wildlife are fantastic.
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Fascinating. 
    "The photographer believes the yellow penguin is leucistic and has a condition that affects its pigmentation, turning the bird's normally black feathers yellow."

What I'm curious about is what causes this genetic mutation known as leucism?  Random chance?  Hole in the ozone layer? Breeding?  It's certainly not unheard of in other species, but why only one found so far in this species? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    edited February 2021
    So like albino?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    So like albino?
    Yes similar
    I've seen leucistic squirrels
    Its odd at first 
  • Options
    So like albino?

Good question.

"Albinism is a condition in which there is an absence of melanin. Melanin is what is present in the skin and is what gives skin, feathers, hair and eyes their color. Vertebrates with albinism are not only white (or sometimes pale yellowish) in color but they also have very pale eyes, often pink or red in color as the blood vessels show through. Leucism is only a partial loss of pigmentation, which can make the animal have white or patchily colored skin, hair, or feathers. However, the pigment cells in the eyes are not affected by the condition."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Nature is my love. As I've grown so has my wonderment of Nature 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Nature is my love. As I've grown so has my wonderment of Nature 

I'm with you there, my friend!  I always enjoy natures awesomeness.