The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Might spin it later today. Gloomy day here in Calgary. 
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    toolie said:
    I just heard ‘Ahead By a Century’ in a Scotiabank commercial. Have they licensed anything before?? It hit me that I don’t think I’ve ever heard a hip song shilling anything corporate. 
    It's not their version of the song; I wonder if that changes how the rights are sold? (The same company - I think it's Scotiabank? - is using a cover of "Closer to the Heart" in one of its commercials, as well.)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    May 30th said:
    Might spin it later today. Gloomy day here in Calgary. 
    One of my favourite Day for Night memories is listening to "Titanic Terrarium" on the walk from McMahon Stadium to U of C (I worked there for eight years). In fact, whenever I hear the song, I think of that walk up University Drive; it's a pretty nonsensical association, but that's music for ya.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    Played the half speed remaster this afternoon. Love it!!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I had no idea the Hip covered the Pumpkins. On more than one occasion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQMrKzSWOM
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388

Ha me neither. That’s crazy. 
    The Hip's Rob Baker and the Odds Craig Northey's side project Strippers Union put out a new record today. if you buy the limited vinyl (only 1000) that comes with a signed certificate by both members, is also the only way to listen to all 18 tracks. The first 9 tracks are only available to stream. The other 9 are not. 

I'm listening now, and it doesn't grab me, but I do think it has a bit of a Tom Petty feel. any Petty fans might want to take a listen and consider picking up the vinyl. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507

Their '07 tour (I think it was '07) featured a new cover song in the encore every night. Some notables off the top of my head...

Lust for Life - Iggy Pop
    1979 - Pumpkins
    Diamond Dogs, Hang Onto Yourself, Queen Bitch - Bowie
    Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
    The Weight - The Band
    Train in Vain - Clash
    Going Going Gone - Dylan
    Powderfinger - Uncle Neil
    2000 Light Years... - Stones

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Gibson said:

Their '07 tour (I think it was '07) featured a new cover song in the encore every night. Some notables off the top of my head...

Lust for Life - Iggy Pop
    1979 - Pumpkins
    Diamond Dogs, Hang Onto Yourself, Queen Bitch - Bowie
    Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell
    The Weight - The Band
    Train in Vain - Clash
    Going Going Gone - Dylan
    Powderfinger - Uncle Neil
    2000 Light Years... - Stones

I had no idea they did The Weight. I’m a HUGE Band fan. Gonna have to try to find that. 😀
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Happy Birthday Gord.

• indeed it was the 2007 tour. a new diff cover every night. and then they stopped - and never did it again
    some others included:
    it makes no difference, the shape i'm in-the band
    something else- eddie cochran written - also covered by teenage head
    picture my face- teenage head - performed in hamilton no less!
    4 strong winds -ian and sylvia
    like a rolling stone - dylan
    can't explain - the who
    mr soul - neil
    black day in july, wreck of edmond fitzgerald - lightfoot
    etc lol

Picture My Face ((2007.2.6 - Hamilton))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AViLmAUZcKA

The Tragically Hip - Is This Love
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRv5phzvFPU

Just read an article with Rob Baker talking about an unreleased music record:
    “I know there were three extra songs on Up to Here, as many as eight songs off Road Apples, three from Fully, Completely, three off Day For Night. (Those records have) extra songs, so we’ll see,” he said.

• road apples release date 2/19/1991. happy 30th !

fiddlers green

always loved that the hip allowed fans to video tape.
    and i love this nugget

tth2006-07-12t19 - The Rules

Signed limited edition picture in the latest newsletter for $500. I can buy  many records with $500, but man it would sure look cool up on the wall...
    without Gord's signature? that should cost about $50. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2021
    toolie said:
    Signed limited edition picture in the latest newsletter for $500. I can buy  many records with $500, but man it would sure look cool up on the wall...
    They're $500? yikes.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Gibson said:
    toolie said:
    They're $500? yikes.
    and only signed by the 4. that's absurd. 

I got my Hippeponymous box set with a signed placard by all 5 for $75. Sure, that was back a bit, but jesus, this is ridiculous. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

some cool stuff in the shop. a smaller version of the canoe paddle, and a nice new "cottage" t shirt. also a cottage bundle, where it seems there are items you can't buy separately. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Whoah - I just read that The Hip are playing with Feist at the Junos on June 6. Is this the first time they’ve all played together publicly since the Kingston show? I wonder if they will be doing hip tunes or will be acting as a backing band for her?? 
    toolie said:
    Whoah - I just read that The Hip are playing with Feist at the Junos on June 6. Is this the first time they’ve all played together publicly since the Kingston show? I wonder if they will be doing hip tunes or will be acting as a backing band for her?? 
    I don't know, but this goes against "never playing under the Hip name ever again" pretty quickly after they claimed it. 

They had all played with the Headstones at Kingston Penitentiary for the last couple songs, but they were billed as individual guests; the Hip name was not mentioned on the posters or in any ads. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2021
    She'll be singing a Hip song with the band. It's for some lifetime achievement award and likely a one off. I don't know how I feel about this, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the moment when I watch.

For what it's worth, she does a beautiful version of Flamenco, but safe money has ABAC being performed.
    Post edited by Gibson on

Saskadelphia is coming, kids.

6 unreleased tracks (all have been a part of some bootleg at some point, so you've probably heard an old version floating around)

Can not wait.

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    Gibson said:
    Saskadelphia is coming, kids.

6 unreleased tracks (all have been a part of some bootleg at some point, so you've probably heard an old version floating around)

Can not wait.
    I never really dug into the bootlegs/rarities so I’m really looking forward to these “new” tunes!
    CAN'T WAIT. VINYL ALREADY ORDERED
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Holy what an email to wake up to!!! I can't wait, ordering now :)
    I love these spontaneous drops without any pre-hype. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    This sounds like a pretty cool EP.

I wonder if it'll be available in store, or only online?
    I thought about that too. after I ordered it online. lol. was thinking it would be sweet to just be able to hit sunrise records tomorrow to pick it up, but if it had already been shipped to stores, the news would have likely leaked about the release. maybe in the future. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I thought about that too. after I ordered it online. lol. was thinking it would be sweet to just be able to hit sunrise records tomorrow to pick it up, but if it had already been shipped to stores, the news would have likely leaked about the release. maybe in the future. 

yah, fuck it, I'm in.. lol.

I'm finding it hard with how many records I order over the internet (that I can't find at my local store).  All those shipping fees and excess garbage make me feel a little guilty.     On the other hand it's a long lost EP of Road Apples songs.. holy shitballs! :)