Options

Photos of your guitars

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    edited January 2021
    Sweetwater has two Gibson Les Paul guitars for sale on their site.  It is crazy how hot guitars are right now.   Shutdowns and stuff are making production take longer too.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Those are some sweet guitars.  Love the color on the Studio and 335.  What year is that 335?

very cool that your folks played too and have that connection.

Thanks!

The 335 is an '02.  I got that one used as well from a local shop here in Dallas called Charlie's around 2004/2005.  I think it's a really pretty one. Easily the prettiest of the ones in my collection for sure.

My parents were definitely very supportive of me wanting to play (I'm - at best, decent/barely average).  My dad can't play a lick, but loves music and instruments.  He said he would get me Gibsons because he knew they were good and could resell them if I didn't stick with it, and that he could not tell the difference between Fenders (the Mexican/Squires that run ~$300 and the customs that are 10x that), so a bit more "idiot proof to go with Gibson" is what he would say...

Like you, I've got my eyes on an SJ-200...I really want one of the "Original" ones in Vintage Sunburst...I've been looking at them a bit too much lately which leads me to believe I will probably pull the trigger at some point in the relatively near future... 
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Your story about your dad reminded me about a comment my dad made over the holidays.  He remembered driving me to Guitar Center back in 1998 when I bought my first guitar (a Gibson LP Studio - Alpine White).  I used the paper route money wisely.  I was telling them about all the guitars I've been buying lately (and we all agreed I am an imbecile), and he told me he thought back in 1998 that the Gibson would be the only electric guitar I would ever own.    I guess he didn't understand that it is tough for guitarists to stop at only one guitar.  I'm sure he thought I would only see about 3 Pearl Jam shows in my life too. 

Now you have me rethinking the Original vs. Standard on the SJ-200.  Thanks a lot!  Ha.  I'm going with the natural finish but the Sunburst looks so damn good.   

I finally figured out that Ed's J200 is the Townsend signature J-200.  Makes sense. 

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i love reading these stories. so damn cool.

i think if we took the guitars from everyone in this thread and opened up a guitar store it would be the coolest guitar store ever, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i love reading these stories. so damn cool.

i think if we took the guitars from everyone in this thread and opened up a guitar store it would be the coolest guitar store ever, haha.
    We'd have a lot of variety which would be cool to see. 
  • Options
    Let’s see those photos of cases!

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Had to give up my room for a SB party so got them all together for a family pic. 
  • Options
    All those guitars look sharp.  Love the colors. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Had to give up my room for a SB party so got them all together for a family pic. 

some real beauties there
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Thanks m’dudes.
     Like to do different colors so I have an excuse to buy a new guitar for every color of the rainbow.

Got some stories too, mostly tied to my late brother. 

The cutaway Alvarez acoustic is my longest owned, since probably 2002. Has a small surface crack on the top from scrambling to clear my room of smoke when the back door opened. Still sounds and plays very well.

12 string Alvarez was my brother’s. Financed it the morning of his fatal car accident and we took it to a family hunting spot and shared a j as we sat around playing for a few hours. Dad went and paid the remainder off when things settled down and  had it around his house for years and gave it to me when they were doing a remodel.

The sunburst Les Paul was a condolence gift from my mom and stepdad and #1 on the “grab it from a burning house” list. Told me we were going to go target shooting and to grab a gun case from under the bed. First dream guitar I ever had. 

Silverburst was purchased with $$ from a wrongful death suit and I got to do the Wayne’s World “Do you accept cash? Cha ching” deal and had my 2 best friends and wife in tow. Fantastic day. Probably the guitar I’ve played the most through the years. 

The red 335 is the current #1 and was part of the great Gibson Memphis sell off that Chicago Music Exachange put on a few years ago. Proabbly never fall into such a steal. Almost feel guilty saying how much I paid. 

The rest have been tolerated and/or encouraged by the grace of my wife.

• Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    It just ordered a PRS Silver Sky from Sweetwater. Christmas come early. Can't wait to play it. 

I picked this same guitar (same color) from Sweetwater.   Went with the rosewood neck vs. maple as well.  I agree with your review a few pages back. I absolutely love it.  I would prefer the slimmer neck but I don’t mind.  If I had to pick one electric guitar from my collection this would be vying for the top spot.  It just feels good in your hands.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Just ordered a  
    Lucero LC150S Spruce/Sapele Classical Guitar. Was on sale for under $200. Been 20 years since my last classical, which was sold to a pawn shop in Australia before coming home. Really hoping it get me back into playing more! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,832
    So I was playing a sweet version of rvm on my guitar and I freaking popped my b string.  I ve been playing for 25 years and have never changed my own guitar strings (yes I am ready for the abuse.). Any hints or tutorials to change strings? Thanks.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    mcgruff10 said:
    So I was playing a sweet version of rvm on my guitar and I freaking popped my b string.  I ve been playing for 25 years and have never changed my own guitar strings (yes I am ready for the abuse.). Any hints or tutorials to change strings? Thanks.  
    Well, at least it wasn't your G string. That shit will leave a mark.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    edited February 2021
    Finally got my custom Kiesel that I’ve been waiting for since September. My first time owning a headless, and it has taken way less getting used to than I expected it to. Sits so nicely

2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    mcgruff10 said:
    That’s the worst.  25 years and never changed strings?! C’mon bro! 😂 Had to give you some crap. Anyway, YouTube is loaded with good instructional videos. Short, to the point and very easy to follow. I’ve changed my strat and tele with no issues and the Fender tutorial is actually a good one (amongst others). I’ll see if I can dig up what I used and send it your way. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just ordered a  
    Lucero LC150S Spruce/Sapele Classical Guitar. Was on sale for under $200. Been 20 years since my last classical, which was sold to a pawn shop in Australia before coming home. Really hoping it get me back into playing more! 
    Nice!   Grow the finger nails out and do some flamenco strumming.  Took classical guitar lessons in college and my teacher was phenomenal. I found one video of him on YouTube.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjhzZlOsBQ

I wish I took more advantage of those lessons.  Stopped after college.   I did not get very far with the flamenco strumming but it would be fun.  

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sounds like you were really attacking the song!  Did you have one of your kids turn the lights on and off like the end of their live set?  
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Thanks m’dudes.
     Like to do different colors so I have an excuse to buy a new guitar for every color of the rainbow.

Got some stories too, mostly tied to my late brother. 

The cutaway Alvarez acoustic is my longest owned, since probably 2002. Has a small surface crack on the top from scrambling to clear my room of smoke when the back door opened. Still sounds and plays very well.

12 string Alvarez was my brother’s. Financed it the morning of his fatal car accident and we took it to a family hunting spot and shared a j as we sat around playing for a few hours. Dad went and paid the remainder off when things settled down and  had it around his house for years and gave it to me when they were doing a remodel.

The sunburst Les Paul was a condolence gift from my mom and stepdad and #1 on the “grab it from a burning house” list. Told me we were going to go target shooting and to grab a gun case from under the bed. First dream guitar I ever had. 

Silverburst was purchased with $$ from a wrongful death suit and I got to do the Wayne’s World “Do you accept cash? Cha ching” deal and had my 2 best friends and wife in tow. Fantastic day. Probably the guitar I’ve played the most through the years. 

The red 335 is the current #1 and was part of the great Gibson Memphis sell off that Chicago Music Exachange put on a few years ago. Proabbly never fall into such a steal. Almost feel guilty saying how much I paid. 

The rest have been tolerated and/or encouraged by the grace of my wife.

Those are some stories. I hope the guitars only remind you of good memories now.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,832
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sounds like you were really attacking the song!  Did you have one of your kids turn the lights on and off like the end of their live set?  
    I was shredding it!! ;) I wasn’t at that point in the song yet lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    mcgruff10 said:
    check on youtube. they have all kinds of videos on there. just search by what type of guitar it is. if it is a stopbar style tailpiece like a les paul or sg or other gibson/epiphone it is really easy. but if it is a strat or something with a floyd rose i do not even bother with it because i hate messing with tremolo systems.

just be careful with the B and high E because those bastards are really easy to overtighten and break when putting them on.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Just ordered a  
    Nice!   Grow the finger nails out and do some flamenco strumming.  Took classical guitar lessons in college and my teacher was phenomenal. I found one video of him on YouTube.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjhzZlOsBQ

I wish I took more advantage of those lessons.  Stopped after college.   I did not get very far with the flamenco strumming but it would be fun.  

All 10 digits going! Impressive! I’m really enjoying breaking the Lucero in. Sounds fantastic! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    I recently put this bass together. 2016 Squier CV p bass body, with a new 2020 Fender MIM jazz neck. Sounds and plays great!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Nice work! Was the neck from a bass you already had or did you order it for this project?
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    edited February 2021
    Thank you!  I ordered it from a vendor on Reverb.  A ton of places sell new Fender necks.  I just prefer the Jazz neck over the P bass neck, even though the Squier made in China CV P basses are pretty sweet.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks. I'm shopping for a replacement neck for a P Bass. Probably going to get a MIM. They have really stepped up their QC in the last couple years. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Excellent, thanks. I'm shopping for a replacement neck for a P Bass. Probably going to get a MIM. They have really stepped up their QC in the last couple years. 

I have a MIM P-Bass from 2009 and though I'm no expert, it always has played nicely. Just need to get a proper bass amp!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BO175983BO175983 Posts: 62
    Picked up a new Martin D-10
    also, finally found the Columbus 2010 poster in mint condition. Been looking for a while. Sold my original that I bought at the show back in 2013... 

• Options

• Options
    ^
    Murphy Lab 1959 arriving later today!  Can’t wait to check out.  Will power is out the door.