Options

National Anthem at sports events

13»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    I'm going to require my family to sing the anthem before we play Monopoly.  Or any other game.

Be careful- someone might throw an iron or a ship or a metal shoe at you!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    brianlux said:
    I'm going to require my family to sing the anthem before we play Monopoly.  Or any other game.

Or a thimble...oh wait that wouldn't hurt.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    edited February 2021
    i don't see the point of playing the national fucking anthem at a domestic sporting event. kind of stupid in my opinion.

during a medal ceremony at the olympics? sure. but before a high school baseball game? nah.
    What’s even dumber is the NHL and playing the national anthem....nhl rosters are made up of players from many different countries...
    If a Canadian team is playing they play both anthems....

but baseball is the same...many countries represented
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    So much respect for a song with no respect for each other.  We are so out of whack it’s hard to imagine things will ever get better.  Mark Cuban is right.  If the song doesn’t represent the players then what’s the point? 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So much respect for a song with no respect for each other.  We are so out of whack it’s hard to imagine things will ever get better.  Mark Cuban is right.  If the song doesn’t represent the players then what’s the point? 
    Gotta be a tough thing to type. I can't bring myself to do it, so I'll just bold yours. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Gotta be a tough thing to type. I can't bring myself to do it, so I'll just bold yours. :lol:
    Hahahaha totally get it but he comes from my hometown so have to agree with him sometimes! 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    dankind said:

Mrs FMe is friends with him -- he was on a show she worked on 10+ years ago and the man still responds when she reaches out, he has helped with advice on a few things, and when we first moved and took in a little guy who loves basketball we always had great seats for when the Mavs were in town.  He is one of the nicest people.  I've met him a few times - a normal guy.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:

Mrs FMe is friends with him -- he was on a show she worked on 10+ years ago and the man still responds when she reaches out, he has helped with advice on a few things, and when we first moved and took in a little guy who loves basketball we always had great seats for when the Mavs were in town.  He is one of the nicest people.  I've met him a few times - a normal guy.
    Great to hear!! 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

Or a thimble...oh wait that wouldn't hurt.

No, in fact that's fun.  It goes tinnnnnnng when it bounces off your head!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    i brought this up years ago and i recall it being way more contentious then than it seems to be now. maybe current events have skewed people away from arbitrary patriotism?

i've always thought that combining sports and patriotism is absurd. it reminds of the the Seinfeld bit where he talks about the Olympics, and how odd it is that the decathlon combines cross country skiing and shooting a gun. "how many alpine snipers are into this? it's like combining swimming with strangle-a-guy" (mimics swimming, stopping at the end, strangling someone)

that makes just as much sense to me. 

mind you, patriotism has always seemed dumb to me. "you want me to sing a song showing my allegiance to a land mass where i was born and the government that owns it before a bunch of grown men play a children's sport or my algebra class? makes perfect sense to me!". 

as someone else said, if we truly want to honour our vets, fucking take care of them. give them a full pension and benefits once they leave the force. and establish a fully functional mental health arm of the military that all vets and their families can have access to. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you really wanna honour vets quit creating them...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    #BeatboxAnthem!
    I SAW PEARL JAM