Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks, GlowGirl and dankind  , I think I'll try the book first.  :smile:
    Matt Ruff's 88 Names is in the same vein but a little more adult.

https://youtu.be/7-k-oCxGjTM
    Thanks. I will order this. If you guys like these kinds of books you may also like The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. I loved that book and ended up reading several more of her books, which I also liked. 
    I also enjoyed that book and have read more of her work, almost all of which has been well worth reading. 
    Thanks for the recommendation. Are these books that I could read to the kids, or are they more adult content?

If kid-friendly, it sounds like I can wait for the paperback on Ready Player Two, even though the boy wants to start it after we finish the book we're currently reading, The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore.

Out of North books I have read, I enjoyed Touch the most, but would not say it is particularly child-friendly (though that depends on the child in question). Give it a read first and see if you like it. 
    I don't know when I'll ever get to read something for my own enjoyment again. For better or worse, I've committed to Proust, and I've never put off reading more. Seriously, I'll reread something for work first.

Meanwhile, I continue to buy/be gifted books that I hope to enjoy at some point.

This is why I try to read books to the kids that I know I'll dig as well. Ready Player One was a good one, and The Stars Beneath Our Feet is shaping up to be even better. 

Oh, okay.

Well then, Claire North is totally child friendly and appropriate to be read at bedtime!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks, GlowGirl and dankind  , I think I'll try the book first.  :smile:
    Matt Ruff's 88 Names is in the same vein but a little more adult.

https://youtu.be/7-k-oCxGjTM
    Thanks. I will order this. If you guys like these kinds of books you may also like The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. I loved that book and ended up reading several more of her books, which I also liked. 
    I also enjoyed that book and have read more of her work, almost all of which has been well worth reading. 
    Thanks for the recommendation. Are these books that I could read to the kids, or are they more adult content?

If kid-friendly, it sounds like I can wait for the paperback on Ready Player Two, even though the boy wants to start it after we finish the book we're currently reading, The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore.

Out of North books I have read, I enjoyed Touch the most, but would not say it is particularly child-friendly (though that depends on the child in question). Give it a read first and see if you like it. 
    I liked the book Touch as well. The Sudden Appearance of Hope was also pretty bizarre. I think I liked the Harry August book the best so far. i have a few more of hers to read. I agree that they are not really for kids, but depends on the kid, how old they are, etc. There are some interesting themes in these books.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2021
    For reference, recently, I've read both of the kids The War of the Ring saga by Tolkien, the boy (8) Ready Player One, and the girl (10) Good Omens.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Bill Bailey’s Remarkable Guide To Happiness... while sipping on a rum and coke, with the sun setting over the river. Life is good.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I’m on a sicko trip. finished manson; up to about age 21 with jim jones. so far, jim seems a bit quirky but an OK guy....

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wobbie said:
    I’m on a sicko trip. finished manson; up to about age 21 with jim jones. so far, jim seems a bit quirky but an OK guy....

I think I have a Guinn book somewhere in the pile, one about the OK Corral. Have yet to read.  You like his writing?  (Guessing if you moved on to Sicko Book II)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Just started...about 200 pages in.  Liking it!

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483

In 1959, A Fire and Brimstone baptist preacher takes his wife and four daughters to the Congo
    to be missionaries.  All goes Well.  Told entirely in the perspective of the females.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Malroth said:

In 1959, A Fire and Brimstone baptist preacher takes his wife and four daughters to the Congo
    to be missionaries.  All goes Well.  Told entirely in the perspective of the females.
    Excellent book.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Malroth said:

Excellent book.

for once, I agree with dan.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Wobbie said:

Just don't follow the kool-aid recipe
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Just started reading 1984
    Wobbie said:

re: jim jones....I am totally surprised, so far. he survived a fucked up childhood and came out with some lofty ideals. he absolutely believed all people were equal. the chapter I just finished ending by saying “ in 1961 indianapolis was significantly more integrated than it had been 12 months earlier and that was almost entirely due to (30 y.o.) jim jones” by this time, he had a family of two adopted korean kids, one adopted black kid (jim jr.), one adopted white girl and a natural son. he was feeding the hungry and clothing the poor. he was ambitious, but everything he did, he did for the church. obviously, something is yet to go wrong... 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    joy.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

re: jim jones....I am totally surprised, so far. he survived a fucked up childhood and came out with some lofty ideals. he absolutely believed all people were equal. the chapter I just finished ending by saying “ in 1961 indianapolis was significantly more integrated than it had been 12 months earlier and that was almost entirely due to (30 y.o.) jim jones” by this time, he had a family of two adopted korean kids, one adopted black kid (jim jr.), one adopted white girl and a natural son. he was feeding the hungry and clothing the poor. he was ambitious, but everything he did, he did for the church. obviously, something is yet to go wrong... 
    Yes. I remember watching a documentary about him and thinking the same thing. The first part of the doc showed him to be a decent guy with some good ideas. I remember thinking that I totally understood why people joined him. His message seemed on point to me. Then things took a very dark turn - especially once they got to Guyana.

GlowGirl said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Yes. I remember watching a documentary about him and thinking the same thing. The first part of the doc showed him to be a decent guy with some good ideas. I remember thinking that I totally understood why people joined him. His message seemed on point to me. Then things took a very dark turn - especially once they got to Guyana.

and I don’t know enough about the “dark turn”...that’s why it’s a page turner!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Just started reading 1984
    A classic!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Joe Abercrombie - Last Argument of Kings (First Law Trilogy, book3)

Yarden said:

I had fun reading a bunch of JA, including this series.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905

Seventh or eighth time reading this.  I just love Frederick Forsyth’s writing.  I think I have all of his books.  I would like to see the 1973 movie.  Apparently, it actually follows the book storyline, unlike the Bruce Willis remake, The Jackal, which was Amercanised.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

Yarden said:

i'm enjoying it. would you recommend his other series?
    Yarden said:
    Yarden said:

I liked the Shattered Sea series.  YA so quick reads, but I enjoyed it.
    The other series he set in the same groove as the First Law was OK, don't think I made it all of the way through.
    Only so much time!  ;)
    Yarden said:
    Yarden said:

I liked the Shattered Sea series.  YA so quick reads, but I enjoyed it.
    The other series he set in the same groove as the First Law was OK, don't think I made it all of the way through.
    Only so much time!  ;)
    thanks. i'll check it out.

edited April 2021
    Such an amazing author...I loved his first two books, among my favorites, and almost done with this and it is not a let down.  Great!

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833

Great book, I believe one of the stories follows Holly from The Outsider, hope you read that one first. If not it's still a great story.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:

Great book, I believe one of the stories follows Holly from The Outsider, hope you read that one first. If not it's still a great story.

Yes, read pretty much all of King's stuff but Holly from Mr Mercedes (and following 2 books) and then The Outsider is awesome. 
    Liked the stories in this one!