NCAA College Football -

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So do the same people here who said ND didn't belong and was garbage because they got rolled by Alabama say the same thing about an Ohio State squad that got rolled in even more spectacular fashion?

Gave up more points, was behind by more at half, was behind by more at the end?

I'm not arguing for ND, I hate them.  I'm continuing to position that judging a team by how they get trashed at the hands of Alabama this year is really not right.

Ohio State looked like the second best team....until they got demolished by Bama.  Ohio State belonged in that game, Bama was just far and away the best team in the country.

Dammit.  Was very impressive, though.
    Thank you. I've been staying away from this thread for a bit due to my obvious bias, but have appreciated your unbiased and fair assessments. 

I'm not even suggesting ND is better than OSU, but who else, based on a seasons body of work should have been in over Notre Dame? Dislike them as you may, they were a consensus top 4 team this season. Bama was far and away the best team this season. And it wasn't even close. Then, I would say OSU and Clemson. After that, it's probably a cluster of about 5 teams of which Notre Dame had the best resume. 

I'm looking forward to a banter filled season with you this fall. I suspect the Clay Helton led pony riders will become more of a force to be reckoned with and ND will be somewhere in the top 12-20.
    Texas A&M's pedestrian performance against an above average North Carolina team already settled that argument in my opinion. 
    Regarding Bama, this was a super elite team.  The Buckeyes were also very short handed with the loss of two starting defensive lineman,  starting rb, all American tackle, etc. Not saying they would have beat Bama but it would have helped.  

Bama lost players as well...much of the game w/o their safety.  (Felt badly for the kid but that was an ejection based on the rules.  He handled it with as much grace as one could...lucky nobody was hurt.)  They also went the whole second half without the guy that nobody in America could cover. 
    But I would say that Ohio State was a very good team -- and the #2 team based on what we saw, clearly.  No shame in getting tossed around by the bully, which is for certain who Bama was this season.

Arguing over #4 is part of the fun of college football.  Always has been some level of argument....1, 2, 3, 4, etc...but at least this way we all are on the same page as to the #1.  I think the system works, overall, if that is the goal.  (Which it should be, to me.)
    System works,  I agree there.  I do like the argument that the playoffs should expand,  because you are seeing great players opt out of the bowls along with less attention on the bowls. 

We are on different sides for that, but I would enjoy watching as a fan.  Let every conference Champ get in and then slug it out...would be interesting.
    That being stated, lots of players would still bail on the bowls. 

There is a simple reality, to me, involved with the top tier college football athlete.  (I won't embarrass them by calling them student athletes.)
    They are in college for one reason -- to get to the NFL and draw that contract.  Even if it is only a few years this will still position them well for life.  They will not have school debt, they will have access to some classes, and hopefully 3/4 of an education....BUT their main goal is to get to the NFL.
    With that being stated, if they feel like there is enough tape out there to get them drafted where they can fulfill that goal then they have one thing that (to me) is the smart move -- opt out of any bowl game (aggrandized money / glory grab for their school/slave driver) and prepare for the draft.

Looking out for their best interests, all around, I would encourage them to wrap up the schooling in their off-season or to set aside whatever money is needed to complete and lock that down.  If/when they finish the average NFL 3-4 year NFL career they will need to have that degree and the connections they maintained with the school network to get a good job.

There is a way to use the NCAA bs rules to try and create a win-win, but the ultimate goal for anyone going to college should be to set them up for a financially successful life....not to play in bowl games as Juniors of Seniors in college.

My two cents, others may have different opinions.  Until the NCAA starts paying the football players I do not think they owe them anything other than what it takes to get these kids drafted.
    I agree with all of this.  I have no moral issues with players opting out.  I'm saying if there were more teams in the playoffs, you would have fewer players opting out because the chance to play for a title may outweigh the economic concern.  I can't recall any CFP playoff player opting out since the start of this system. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So do the same people here who said ND didn't belong and was garbage because they got rolled by Alabama say the same thing about an Ohio State squad that got rolled in even more spectacular fashion?

I'm not arguing for ND, I hate them.  I'm continuing to position that judging a team by how they get trashed at the hands of Alabama this year is really not right.

Ohio State looked like the second best team....until they got demolished by Bama.  Ohio State belonged in that game, Bama was just far and away the best team in the country.

Thank you. I've been staying away from this thread for a bit due to my obvious bias, but have appreciated your unbiased and fair assessments. 

I'm not even suggesting ND is better than OSU, but who else, based on a seasons body of work should have been in over Notre Dame? Dislike them as you may, they were a consensus top 4 team this season. Bama was far and away the best team this season. And it wasn't even close. Then, I would say OSU and Clemson. After that, it's probably a cluster of about 5 teams of which Notre Dame had the best resume. 

I'm looking forward to a banter filled season with you this fall. I suspect the Clay Helton led pony riders will become more of a force to be reckoned with and ND will be somewhere in the top 12-20.
    Texas A&M's pedestrian performance against an above average North Carolina team already settled that argument in my opinion. 
    Regarding Bama, this was a super elite team.  The Buckeyes were also very short handed with the loss of two starting defensive lineman,  starting rb, all American tackle, etc. Not saying they would have beat Bama but it would have helped.  

Bama lost players as well...much of the game w/o their safety.  (Felt badly for the kid but that was an ejection based on the rules.  He handled it with as much grace as one could...lucky nobody was hurt.)  They also went the whole second half without the guy that nobody in America could cover. 
    But I would say that Ohio State was a very good team -- and the #2 team based on what we saw, clearly.  No shame in getting tossed around by the bully, which is for certain who Bama was this season.

Arguing over #4 is part of the fun of college football.  Always has been some level of argument....1, 2, 3, 4, etc...but at least this way we all are on the same page as to the #1.  I think the system works, overall, if that is the goal.  (Which it should be, to me.)
    System works,  I agree there.  I do like the argument that the playoffs should expand,  because you are seeing great players opt out of the bowls along with less attention on the bowls. 

We are on different sides for that, but I would enjoy watching as a fan.  Let every conference Champ get in and then slug it out...would be interesting.

There is a simple reality, to me, involved with the top tier college football athlete.  (I won't embarrass them by calling them student athletes.)
    They are in college for one reason -- to get to the NFL and draw that contract.  Even if it is only a few years this will still position them well for life.  They will not have school debt, they will have access to some classes, and hopefully 3/4 of an education....BUT their main goal is to get to the NFL.
    With that being stated, if they feel like there is enough tape out there to get them drafted where they can fulfill that goal then they have one thing that (to me) is the smart move -- opt out of any bowl game (aggrandized money / glory grab for their school/slave driver) and prepare for the draft.

Looking out for their best interests, all around, I would encourage them to wrap up the schooling in their off-season or to set aside whatever money is needed to complete and lock that down.  If/when they finish the average NFL 3-4 year NFL career they will need to have that degree and the connections they maintained with the school network to get a good job.

There is a way to use the NCAA bs rules to try and create a win-win, but the ultimate goal for anyone going to college should be to set them up for a financially successful life....not to play in bowl games as Juniors of Seniors in college.

My two cents, others may have different opinions.  Until the NCAA starts paying the football players I do not think they owe them anything other than what it takes to get these kids drafted.
    I agree with all of this.  I have no moral issues with players opting out.  I'm saying if there were more teams in the playoffs, you would have fewer players opting out because the chance to play for a title may outweigh the economic concern.  I can't recall any CFP playoff player opting out since the start of this system. 

Fair enough.  Guess I would be bummed if USC was in the Rose Bowl and key players dropped, because winning the Rose Bowl means something.  I would understand but would be bummed.  Could spin it to be an opportunity for key back ups to not only get a jump on the next season with the extra month of practice as 1st team but also to have national exposure.

Either way, I am at the point in my life where I care more about the kids then the uni.  Pay them, pay them appropriately, and then I can get back to rooting for the name of the front of the jersey.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fair enough.  Guess I would be bummed if USC was in the Rose Bowl and key players dropped, because winning the Rose Bowl means something.  I would understand but would be bummed.  Could spin it to be an opportunity for key back ups to not only get a jump on the next season with the extra month of practice as 1st team but also to have national exposure.

Either way, I am at the point in my life where I care more about the kids then the uni.  Pay them, pay them appropriately, and then I can get back to rooting for the name of the front of the jersey.
    I'm also good with paying them.  I'd heartily support the bowl committees of each bowl paying them.  Any number of incentives to get them to play I'm down with, whether it's monetary, the chance for a title or ideally...both.  They have every right not to play but I much prefer they do.  
  • mrussel1 said:

No, I still think ND is a top of the mid tier teams.  They aren't in the same class as Clemson, OSU and Bama.  

Bama was one of those juggernaut teams this year.  Nick Saban is the best college FB coach because of the teams he can construct.  I thought Clemson had a chance this year but they fell way short.  OSU too.
    You still need a fourth though.  Notre Dame was the right choice. 
    Yeah maybe A&M or Oklahoma would have been a better run?

The only better run would have been to beat Bama in the semi.  We will never know but I don't think that happens.  Oklahoma lost at home to garbage K State and lost a nail biter on the road to a very good Iowa State squad. 
    A&M was already blown out once this year by Bama.  Game was toast by half.
    K state has their moments, lol.  

This just shows that more teams need to be in the playoffs and how far and above head and shoulders Bama continues to be and a team like ND, as good as someone may think of them, are just not up to snuff.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mrussel1 said:

No, I still think ND is a top of the mid tier teams.  They aren't in the same class as Clemson, OSU and Bama.  

Bama was one of those juggernaut teams this year.  Nick Saban is the best college FB coach because of the teams he can construct.  I thought Clemson had a chance this year but they fell way short.  OSU too.

The only better run would have been to beat Bama in the semi.  We will never know but I don't think that happens.  Oklahoma lost at home to garbage K State and lost a nail biter on the road to a very good Iowa State squad. 

This just shows that more teams need to be in the playoffs and how far and above head and shoulders Bama continues to be and a team like ND, as good as someone may think of them, are just not up to snuff.
    I don't see that it shows more teams in are needed - if anything it shows us fewer teams are fine.  Nobody was touching #1 and the goal of the system is to establish who is #1.
    I don't care who is 2-19.  
    If others do, I can see their desire to push for a larger playoff pool.  It certainly would be exciting, I don't argue that.
  • mrussel1 said:

I don't see that it shows more teams in are needed - if anything it shows us fewer teams are fine.  Nobody was touching #1 and the goal of the system is to establish who is #1.
    I don't care who is 2-19.  
    If others do, I can see their desire to push for a larger playoff pool.  It certainly would be exciting, I don't argue that.
    I believe in momentum and Saban has the system on lock so why not shake things up a bit?

An 8th seed could get hot and make a run.  If anything it would make for a good viewing experience.  

I will agree that there isn't much discrepancy this year for 2-19.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think opting out is dumb.  Bailing on your team and teammates on potentially the biggest game for some of these teams is dumb. If you want to bail, give up your scholarship. 
  • mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think opting out is dumb.  Bailing on your team and teammates on potentially the biggest game for some of these teams is dumb. If you want to bail, give up your scholarship. 
    Play in a potentially meaningless game and possibly injure myself and not make my millions or opt out?  easy choice.
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Are you in favor of paying players?

I ask, because I think the prevailing thought around calling players dumb for opting out and for asking them to give back their scholarship is that they owe the school the playing of an add on game to the season.
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Play in a potentially meaningless game and possibly injure myself and not make my millions or opt out?  easy choice.
    Agreed.  I would counsel my son to sit out if he was a first rounder. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Or a second or third rounder unless there is some reason to realistically think a performance in a bowl could jump them up.
    100 out of 100 times.
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Or a second or third rounder unless there is some reason to realistically think a performance in a bowl could jump them up.
    100 out of 100 times.
    Right, exactly. 
    Thank FSM.  There may really be a hope.

Pac12 fires that fucking idiot Larry Scott.
    That paid that waste of space $40MM over last 12 years.  
    Fucking criminal.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Are you in favor of paying players?

I ask, because I think the prevailing thought around calling players dumb for opting out and for asking them to give back their scholarship is that they owe the school the playing of an add on game to the season.
    Not in favor of keeping in the first string and running up the score if that's what you mean. But that's just sportsmanship and giving other players a chance to play rather than sitting on the bench. 
    I didn't call the players dumb, the idea of opting out I think is dumb. I don't agree with the idea that the bowl game is meaningless so they should opt out. If that is the case, any school that is not in contention of the play offs would be in a meaningless game all season. The majority of teams don't have a chance to be in the play offs or will not win conference titles, so the bowl game is their biggest game. I don't see that game as different or meaningless as any of the other games they play all season when they are a .500 team and no expectation of making the playoffs. So why is the risk of inuring greater in this one game than the other dozen they play in, and worth opting out over? Why not start opting out after you've lost your 4th game of the season?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited June 2021
    This is something I don't get about Notre Dame and the way they get free blow jobs from the group of Criminals known as the NCAA.....
    There is a select group of four reps looking at format changes/suggestions.
    Three of them head conferences.
    One is the chief fuckstick at ND.

They reference the folks needing convincing in the ultimate decision....they are all leaders of conferences and then Jack Shitbuck, the AD at Notre Dame.

I am a college football fan.  I am a USC alum.  Clearly I respect Notre Dame and know that college football is better when ND is good.

However....to continue to offer them an equal seat at the table, like they are their own conference (they even have their own football TV deal), is a fucking joke.

Not shocking, since the NCAA is a joke, but it really needs to change.  Join a conference or remain independent and take what decisions are made.  No way they should be an equal voice to conference heads and ever get to be on a small committee like that.

(Also, not sure if it is still the case but ND was a part of the committee that determined penalties for other schools, as well.)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Not sure how accurate the reports are, but apparently Texas and Oklahoma are making a push to join the SEC. Could have a massive ripple effect if true.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Not sure how accurate the reports are, but apparently Texas and Oklahoma are making a push to join the SEC. Could have a massive ripple effect if true.
    they are gone.  gonna end up being a lot of fallout with other moves now.  college sports is now a full fledged disaster scene between humongous conferences, free agency with no sitting out and NIL money now.  
    pjhawks said:
    they are gone.  gonna end up being a lot of fallout with other moves now.  college sports is now a full fledged disaster scene between humongous conferences, free agency with no sitting out and NIL money now.  
    Yeah, it's turned into a complete shit show. 
    I am not opposed to the NIL as much as I am the others you mentioned. The free agent aspect and the super conferences are complete bullshit if that's where this is heading, which it clearly is. 
    pjhawks said:
    This is interesting.  Will the state of OK and TX allow their flagship schools to join a difference conference while OSU, A&M, and the other publics schools are twisting in the wind?  During the big realignment several years ago, the deal in VA was that Tech and UVA go together.  The state would not sign off on one without the other. 
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    This is interesting.  Will the state of OK and TX allow their flagship schools to join a difference conference while OSU, A&M, and the other publics schools are twisting in the wind?  During the big realignment several years ago, the deal in VA was that Tech and UVA go together.  The state would not sign off on one without the other. 
    A&M is already in the SEC.

I read somewhere that Texas A&M had veto rights with the SEC to accept any other Texas school. I will look for that article and post it if I can find it. I think it was on ESPN+. 

Edit: Here is the article. Just a handshake deal, which obviously doesn't mean shit with a move like this and it's financial impact.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31863713/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    LOL, A&M doesn't have sole veto power on another school joining the SEC
    Jumb0 said:
    LOL, A&M doesn't have sole veto power on another school joining the SEC
    I would agree, which is why I found the article bullshit. I didn't realize until after I went to find it that it was a handshake deal. Money talks, no one is blocking this shit. 
    edited July 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

I read somewhere that Texas A&M had veto rights with the SEC to accept any other Texas school. I will look for that article and post it if I can find it. I think it was on ESPN+. 

Edit: Here is the article. Just a handshake deal, which obviously doesn't mean shit with a move like this and it's financial impact.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31863713/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-break-gentlemen-agreement-league-schools
    oh yeah, duh.  I know TCU and Baylor are private.  What about Tech?  I'm pretty sure UT was happy to stay out of the SEC because it wanted the Longhorn network.  Maybe that is failing?  What's the story on the Cowpokes?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

oh yeah, duh.  I know TCU and Baylor are private.  What about Tech?  I'm pretty sure UT was happy to stay out of the SEC because it wanted the Longhorn network.  Maybe that is failing?  What's the story on the Cowpokes?
    I am sure Longhorn Network is doing fine and will be easily gobbled up by the SEC network. UT & OU have huge buyouts (like $75-80M) if they leave. I am sure Texas is smart enough to offset that with whatever they work out with SEC Network. 

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Longhorn Network is probably doing "ok" within Texas, but joining the premier conference and getting a slice of the SEC network revenue is no doubt a lot more than the LHN is brining in
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Longhorn Network is probably doing "ok" within Texas, but joining the premier conference and getting a slice of the SEC network revenue is no doubt a lot more than the LHN is brining in
    I couldn't find much, but hte most recent numbers I saw said that it lost 48 million in its first 5 years.  That probably doesn't hurt UT much, but it hurts ESPN.  I don't think they renew the deal.  I think it's been a bust. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

LHN is a joke. I expect Tech & OSU to join the Pac 12 if this ends up happening. OU will compete in the SEC immediately (football at least), UT has every luxury imaginable in the state as well as all of the media stroking and continually fall flat. I don't think they will be better off in the SEC when they already struggle in the Big XII. I could also see TCU & Baylor going the Pac 12 route, although being small private schools may not factor in their favor.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    LHN will be dissolved. The SEC Network distributed more than $40 million to each school last year. The rich get richer! 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Anybody else hope Notre Dame remains independent? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Anybody else hope Notre Dame remains independent? 
    Why wouldn't they?  With the deal they have it makes sense to be a bs team without a conference.
    ;)

Pac12 is such a joke.  Now we have a new leader but not being able to grab these teams and pony up to try and keep up is a big loss.

Surprised Oklahoma wants to join.  They have it made where they are and are pretty much granted an auto bid to playoffs.  With Texas out they would really be in the best seat
    Greedy!