Donald Trump

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I still can't figure out why Pence won't entertain the 25A angle.  I mean the fucker almost got him killed. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    I still can't figure out why Pence won't entertain the 25A angle.  I mean the fucker almost got him killed. 

Maybe he thinks the cult will kill him if he does.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    OnWis97 said:

I think you need to have the votes,  it at least close,  before you put that out there.  I still don't know which cabinet members would vote.  And if acting members are eligible. 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Stop fearing these people.  They, much like their Supreme Leader, are PANSIES.

That dose of STFU doled out by twitter has been super nice.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

I'm not sure.  It could be he fears for his life.  Alternatively it doesn't sound like a lot of the cabinet want to make that decision either.  Lots of people (the people who would probably vote in favour) resigning.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Pence is doing nothing but balancing what is best for him, his political future, and his bank account.  
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    brianlux said:
    There's been a lot of talk about "censorship" on Twitter, FaceBook, Simon and Schuster.  Blocking someone who incites rioting and invasion of the Capitol is not censorship.   A publishing company refusing to publish certain material is not censorship.  I wish these far right wingers would educate themselves instead of making their false claims. 
    I've been seeing and hearing so much about censorship and freedom of speech with all of these 'cancels.' 

It's a large debate is good.. the thing I've often wondered about this scenario in particular with that maggot ass-hat Josh Crawley and his gripe about Simon and Schuster.  Why does he think Simon and Schuster do not also have a right to not do something?  The logic seems ass backwards.  Like "Hey! You have to publish my material because of Freedom of Speech."  It's an odd kind of irony.  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    what's the tradition of the new president hanging the outgoing prez's pic on the wall in the WH? is it a painting? or just a blown up pic? I want to see video of Biden hanging Obama's pic. 

and trump's pic should never, ever be hung. 

unless it's over a toilet in the basement. 

Instead, they make Trump urinal cakes.  That should be his lasting white house legacy. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:
    There's been a lot of talk about "censorship" on Twitter, FaceBook, Simon and Schuster.  Blocking someone who incites rioting and invasion of the Capitol is not censorship.   A publishing company refusing to publish certain material is not censorship.  I wish these far right wingers would educate themselves instead of making their false claims. 
    I've been seeing and hearing so much about censorship and freedom of speech with all of these 'cancels.' 

It's a large debate is good.. the thing I've often wondered about this scenario in particular with that maggot ass-hat Josh Crawley and his gripe about Simon and Schuster.  Why does he think Simon and Schuster do not also have a right to not do something?  The logic seems ass backwards.  Like "Hey! You have to publish my material because of Freedom of Speech."  It's an odd kind of irony.  
    Literal facism and authoritarianism...it’s crazy.  Isn’t that what their enemy China does? Force the publishers to publish party talking points and propaganda?  Freedom of speech.  These assholes don’t care anymore about freedom of speech than they do unity and healing.  Performative politics.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited January 2021
    I've been thinking about this. I think what the publishing company does is strictly a business decision, and they live or die on what they, well, publish. That's their P&L. That's not free speech.

Now, I've got a slightly different stance on Twitter/Facebook/etc. I'm glad they took him off, and that could be justified as a business decision, but the difference to me is they are a platform and not a publishing company. I think there should be more demanded of these companies to have a transparent process that they can easily refer to in justifying the ban. One could argue companies could boycott Twitter/Facebook/IG/whatever by pulling their advertisements, but regardless I think more needs to be demanded from platforms instead of publishing companies. It just opens them up in the future for some bad, bad stuff. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I think you need to have the votes,  it at least close,  before you put that out there.  I still don't know which cabinet members would vote.  And if acting members are eligible. 

Interesting point.  When Pence said he didn't want the 25th he probably figured it would never get that far, so why put himself out there to anger the mob over what amounts to a hypothetical?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I've been thinking about this. I think what the publishing company does is strictly a business decision, and they live or die on what they, well, publish. That's their P&L. That's not free speech.

Now, I've got a slightly different stance on Twitter/Facebook/etc. I'm glad they took him off, and that could be justified as a business decision, but the difference to me is they are a platform and not a publishing company. I think there should be more demanded of these companies to have a transparent process that they can easily refer to in justifying the ban. One could argue companies could boycott Twitter/Facebook/IG/whatever by pulling their advertisements, but regardless I think more needs to be demanded from platforms instead of publishing companies. It just opens them up in the future for some bad, bad stuff. 
    twitter has clear terms of service, and they have put out official statements in the past that trump has clearly violated those terms, but in the interest of public awareness, they didn't ban him. but they clearly draw the line at inciting violence. 

this should be of no surprise to anyone.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Interesting point.  When Pence said he didn't want the 25th he probably figured it would never get that far, so why put himself out there to anger the mob over what amounts to a hypothetical?
    It just seems like he would score huge points in the party for taking charge and doing that.  The GOP would likely not win any major election for awhile since the party would break 60% GOP and 40% Q/Patriot party but holy shit....he has to know that is the best solution.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited January 2021

twitter has clear terms of service, and they have put out official statements in the past that trump has clearly violated those terms, but in the interest of public awareness, they didn't ban him. but they clearly draw the line at inciting violence. 

this should be of no surprise to anyone.  
    There is a difference though, and those terms of service can be arbitrary where it's up to the company. My point is I have less of an issue with a publishing company because the line is pretty clear. Twitter and other social media platforms are way more opaque.

In the future, say Twitter has a competitor of some sort (making this up) that they ban for speaking their mind (without inciting violence) for no other reason than there being a conflict of interest. Or, in this hypothetical made up world, that Jack Dorsey was a masochist - or a Trump supporter for whatever reason - and wanted to see the world burn, then he very well could have if he wanted. I'm just saying if you look their terms of service and their process for banning isn't cut and dry. Additionally, there's a point where a company isn't just a company - Facebook has on average 3 billion users daily. That's crazy, and goes beyond a company just being a company - they can systemically change societies.
  • From NYT email blast:

‘Honor, Trust or Profit’

If the House impeaches President Trump this week, it will still have almost no effect on how long he remains in office. His term expires nine days from now, and even the most rapid conceivable Senate trial would cover much of that time.
    But the impeachment debate is still highly consequential. The Senate has the power both to remove Trump from office and to prevent him from holding office in the future. That second power will not expire when his term ends, many constitutional scholars say. A Senate trial can happen after Jan. 20.

And disqualifying Trump from holding office again could alter the future of American politics.
    It’s worth pausing for a moment to reflect on how radical a figure Trump is. He rejects basic foundations of American government that other presidents, from both parties, have accepted for decades.

He has tried to reverse an election result and remain in power by persuading local officials to commit fraud. He incited a mob that attacked the Capitol — and killed a police officer — while Congress was meeting to certify the result. Afterward, Trump praised the rioters.

This behavior was consistent with Trump’s entire presidency. He has previously rejected the legitimacy of election results and encouraged his supporters to commit violence. He has tried to undermine Americans’ confidence in the F.B.I., the C.I.A., the military, Justice Department prosecutors, federal judges, the Congressional Budget Office, government scientists, government health officials and more. He has openly used the presidency to enrich his family.

In the simplest terms, Trump seems to believe a president should be able to do whatever he wants. He does not appear to believe in the system of the government that the Constitution prescribes — a democratic republic.

Yet there is a significant chance he could win the presidency again, in 2024. He remains popular with many Republican voters, and the Electoral College currently gives a big advantage to Republicans. If he is not disqualified from future office, Trump could dominate the Republican Party and shape American politics for the next four years.

If he is disqualified, it’s impossible to know what would happen, but this much is clear: A singularly popular figure who rejects the basic tenets of American democracy would no longer be eligible to lead it.

What are the basics of disqualification?

• Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution says: “Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.”
    • The Constitution does not specify whether disqualification requires a two-thirds Senate vote, as conviction in an impeachment trial does, or only a majority vote. The Senate has previously used a majority vote.
    • The Senate has barred three people, all federal judges, from holding future office: West Humphreys (in 1862, for waging war against the U.S.), Robert Archbald (in 1913, for corruption) and Thomas Porteous (in 2010, for bribery and perjury).
    • The Senate has tried a former War Department secretary — William Belknap, in 1876 — after he resigned. Both the House and the Senate decided that Belknap could be tried after he had left office.
    • Disqualifying a president from future office, because of the stakes and lack of precedent, would probably come before the Supreme Court. History suggests that the court would be more likely to uphold a bipartisan congressional vote than a largely partisan one.
    • For more: “If an impeachment begins when an individual is in office, the process may surely continue after they resign or otherwise depart,” Michael Gerhardt of the University of North Carolina School of Law writes in the online publication Just Security.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited January 2021
    Twitter is no different than this forum.  Obey the rules or you won't get to post here.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Article of Impeachment has been introduced....

Jan. 11, 2021 at 11:15 a.m. EST

House Democrats on Monday formally introduced an article of impeachment against President Trump, charging him with “incitement of insurrection” for his role in the takeover of the U.S. Capitol last week by a violent pro-Trump mob. The House could vote as early as Wednesday.

House Republicans blocked a measure calling on Vice President Pence and the Cabinet to remove Trump under the 25th Amendment, a move that ensures a vote in the full House on Tuesday.

President-elect Joe Biden, meanwhile, announced that he plans to name William J. Burns, a career diplomat who served in both Democratic and Republican administrations, to run the CIA. The choice marked Biden’s last major personnel announcement as he prepares to enter the White House on Jan. 20.

Here’s what to know:

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    OnWis97 said:

but if he invokes 25th amendment and becomes president, he gets that secret service protection for the rest of his life. i do not believe former VPs get that. to me, that is enough incentive to do it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Twitter is no different than this forum.  Obey the rules or you won't get to post here.
    I agree.  Private company is a private company.  It's that simple to me.  The irony of this all is if Trump had his way and section 230 was actually repealed, the reality is that he would have been removed from social media much, much earlier.  Think about it, the families of the victims could sue Twitter for leaving his posts up without the protection of 230.  These are all just new boogeymen to the right wing, and as usual they never think strategically. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    the best name i have seen for these folks if Incelwaffen. been laughing at that one for 2 days.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, great point.  I guess they forgot that Simon and Schuster is a business and that gets to decide what they want to publish- the same way a grocery store gets to decide what brands of soap they want to carry.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree.  Private company is a private company.  It's that simple to me.  The irony of this all is if Trump had his way and section 230 was actually repealed, the reality is that he would have been removed from social media much, much earlier.  Think about it, the families of the victims could sue Twitter for leaving his posts up without the protection of 230.  These are all just new boogeymen to the right wing, and as usual they never think strategically. 

Sorry, but the 1st Amendment begs to differ,

Privately controlled corporations shall take no action abridging the rights of murderers and insurrectionists to say whatever they want on its network of assets.”
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    brianlux said:
    Parksy said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, great point.  I guess they forgot that Simon and Schuster is a business and that gets to decide what they want to publish- the same way a grocery store gets to decide what brands of soap they want to carry.

Of course he knows that. Its the dumbfuck supporters who DONT know ,that he is appealing too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mrussel1 said:

Sorry, but the 1st Amendment begs to differ,

” Privately controlled corporations shall take no action abridging the rights of murderers and insurrectionists to say whatever they want on its network of assets.”
    Great point.  I hadn't thought to read a source document on the matter.  I stand corrected.  The Founding Fathers were prescient when they saw the rise of social media. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Exactly.
    These private platforms are allowed to regulate who is on their sites and what content they post, 1st amendment doesn't apply.
    Trump (and everyone else) agreed to terms of service when signing up for Twitter and Facebook etc.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Kat said:
    The Gravy Seals will be out in full force. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gravy Seals. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.