Greta Thunberg

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    CNN is reporting she will donate 114000...they need to get the story straight...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Much respect for this young woman who practices what she preaches but avoids criticizing those who don't.

Greta Thunberg says she has stopped buying new clothes but does not sit in judgment on others whose lifestyle choices are less environmentally friendly than her own, in an interview to mark her 18th birthday.

Thunberg, whose solo school strike in 2018 snowballed into a global youth movement, stopped flying several years ago, travelling instead by boat. She is vegan and said she had stopped consuming “things” .

Asked what she thought of celebrities who talk about the climate emergency while flying around the world, the teenager declined to criticise them, although warned that others might.

“I don’t care,” she told the Sunday Times magazine. “I’m not telling anyone else what to do, but there is a risk when you are vocal about these things and don’t practise as you preach, then you will become criticised for that and what you are saying won’t be taken seriously.”

Avoiding long flights is one of the most effective ways individuals can reduce their carbon emissions but the biggest impact is from not having children, according to studies. Nevertheless Thunberg was not about to tell people not to procreate. “I don’t think it’s selfish to have children,” she said. “It is not the people who are the problem, it is our behaviour.”

While her lifestyle is far removed from that of most western teenagers, Thunberg says she does not feel she is missing out.

On clothes, she said: “The worst-case scenario I guess I’ll buy second-hand, but I don’t need new clothes. I know people who have clothes, so I would ask them if I could borrow them or if they have something they don’t need any more. I don’t need to fly to Thailand to be happy. I don’t need to buy clothes I don’t need, so I don’t see it as a sacrifice.”

Thunberg was famously told to “chill” by Donald Trump but she said her passion and concern about the environment did not get her down. “I don’t sit and speculate about how the future might turn out, I see no use in doing that,” she said. “As long as you are doing everything you can now, you can’t let yourself become depressed or anxious.”

She named her ideal birthday present as a “promise from everyone that they will do everything they can” for the planet. However, when pressed on a more tangible gift, she opted for replacement headlights for her bike, explaining: “In Sweden, it gets very dark in the winter.”

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    happy birthday, young leader.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    she's like a swedish yoda
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021

@lindamarie73 where you at the pub finally being proven right?!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

"Evil handlers"?  What's that about?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

It's a joke. Directed at the climate change deniers who claimed she was being used by leftist adults to push their agendas.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2021
    brianlux said:

Her being a puppet for her parents etc. Maybe @lindamarie73 has more insight into that:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:

It's a joke. Directed at the climate change deniers who claimed she was being used by leftist adults to push their agendas.
    she has a fabulous sense of humour. i love it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Thanks for clarification!  (I'm a bit dense in the AM  :lol:  )

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    At least he’s open about it. Nothing funnier than watching private jet using, garage full of cars celebrities jet around the world waving their fingers at us normal
    people about taking care of the environment. Celebrities are the biggest fucking hypocrites when it comes to pretty much anything but can you blame them? They don’t live in the real world like we do.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    nicknyr15 said:
    At least he’s open about it. Nothing funnier than watching private jet using, garage full of cars celebrities jet around the world waving their fingers at us normal
    people about taking care of the environment. Celebrities are the biggest fucking hypocrites when it comes to pretty much anything but can you blame them? They don’t live in the real world like we do.

honest about it yes. off the charts fucking douchebag? also yes.
    her response is brilliant.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Well that’s his thing. And people keeping feeding into it so he won’t stop anytime soon. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Well that’s his thing. And people keeping feeding into it so he won’t stop anytime soon. 

I can't believe you're making excuses for this prick, Nick.  Guys like that are giving a big "fuck you" to the planet that sustains you and I and everyone else.  How do justify being OK with that?  Is no future for the young OK with you?  I don' think so.  I don't think you are that kind of person.  I'm a bit perplexed here.

brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I can't believe you're making excuses for this prick, Nick.  Guys like that are giving a big "fuck you" to the planet that sustains you and I and everyone else.  How do justify being OK with that?  Is no future for the young OK with you?  I don' think so.  I don't think you are that kind of person.  I'm a bit perplexed here.
    Where did I make an excuse for him? It’s what he does! Are you surprised by his tweet? Are you aware of this guy? Are you this angry with your favorite musician, actor or athlete having sports cars and private jets? Or is it different because they’re not dicks about it? This guy wasn’t  on my radar until recently and couldn’t give a fuck about him and his obnoxious behavior.  But in our country, the more obnoxious, the more famous I guess. Chill out. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I'll take your word because I have no idea who that is...and I know lots of terrible tweeters....
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I'll take your word because I have no idea who that is...and I know lots of terrible tweeters....
    Super arrogant, super cocky, misogynist… the list goes on and on. His tweet is right on brand but I guess acknowledging that is making excuses for him. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Super arrogant, super cocky, misogynist… the list goes on and on. His tweet is right on brand but I guess acknowledging that is making excuses for him. 
    The line "people keep feeding into it so he won’t stop anytime soon" suggests other people are to blame for what he does. 

May not have been what you meant, but it's what I inferred.

I respect your opinion, Nick... Just my $0.02.
    edited December 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The line "people keep feeding into it so he won’t stop anytime soon" suggests other people are to blame for what he does. 

I appreciate it but that’s not what I meant. I don’t think others are to blame for what he does but they’re not helping with his exposure by feeding into it. I just think that’s how our society works right now with social media. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Where did I make an excuse for him? It’s what he does! Are you surprised by his tweet? Are you aware of this guy? Are you this angry with your favorite musician, actor or athlete having sports cars and private jets? Or is it different because they’re not dicks about it? This guy wasn’t  on my radar until recently and couldn’t give a fuck about him and his obnoxious behavior.  But in our country, the more obnoxious, the more famous I guess. Chill out. 
    "...can you blame them?" honestly sounds like excusing it, nick. I do get what your overall point is, however, maybe pearl jam is an outlier, they tour as they employee a shitload of people, national and local, and do other great work. it's not like Stone and Jeff jet off to the Galapagos islands while making tik toks about climate change. I guess maybe because I don't generally follow celebrities, but which ones talk about climate change flying around on private jets when it isn't related to their jobs?

most celebrities that I've seen that do that, also take measures to mitigate or offset what they do. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385
    edited December 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I appreciate it but that’s not what I meant. I don’t think others are to blame for what he does but they’re not helping by feeding into it. I just think that’s how our society works right now with social media. 
    I don't disagree. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Or the more electable in a repub primary?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    i can see it now. a friend calls that andrew guy and is like:

friend: "hey man, how was your day today?"

andrew: "pretty good, i came for a teenager on twitter and got murdered in broad daylight. other than that, not too bad."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

he initially responded "how dare you?". then about 10 hours later, responded with the lame ass "thanks for telling us you have a small dick, greta, and that you need to get a life". lame as FUCK
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he was all like

"hey bro. can you take a pic of me pumping gas? it's for this internet beef with a 19 year old"

dude: "i got you, fam." click

nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Well, sorry if I misunderstood, Nick.  It seemed to me like your were defending him.  If not, then my bad and I accept the blame there.
    No, I'm not surprised by anything anymore.
    No, I'm was not aware of this guy.

Am I this angry with my favorite musician, actor or athlete having sports cars and private jets? NO!  None of my favorite musicians, or actors do that shit and I have no favorite athletes.  The people I admire most today are not dicks about that shit because they don't do it.  I don't support that kind of fool anymore.

Chill out?  Me? Regarding the health of the planet?  No way man, never.