What book are you reading?

Comments

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Charles Frazier - Cold Mountain

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Just finishing The Broken Earth book #3.  (The Stone Sky)
    Cool that she won the Best Novel Hugo 3 years in a row for the 3 books in the series.  Wonder if anyone had done that before.

I am liking the last one the least, although still enjoying, but will see how she wraps it up.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2020
    I have four days to finish my Nancy Drew book. The first in the series.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Pap said:

Please let us all know of the book lives up to the cover?
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Pap said:

Please let us all know of the book lives up to the cover?
    :smiley: I'll be sure to give you an update once I've finished the whole book. I'm about to start Chapter 5 and I've already had a couple of serious laughs. :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Just finished “ Do What You Want” the story of Bad Religion. As a low key fan ( only own two albums suffer and stranger than fiction ) I thought it was a great read. Friends that are huge fans said they already knew most of what was in it.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    The Back Roads To March by John Feinstein about mid-major college basketball.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I had to manually search for this thread.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Thought it was fun.  Not as much fun or original as the first one but pretty good.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2021
    Hmmmm.  Well, this is the thread I tried to find and couldn't.  So I'll re-post this here and let the other book thread died a peaceful AET death!

Just arrived and looks like another excellent Densmore read. I bought this through a company that sells "autographed" books. I put "autograph" in quotes because it comes with a pasted in signed bookplate. To me, this is not an autographed book. It's a book with a signed bookplate pasted in. But anyway, that's no slam on Mr. Densmore. I very much enjoyed his other books (one of which he signed in person) and I am already enjoying this one!

IMG
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Thought it was fun.  Not as much fun or original as the first one but pretty good.

I didn’t realize this came out. I read both Ready Player One, and Armada. I will have to buy this one. 
    GlowGirl said:

I didn’t realize this came out. I read both Ready Player One, and Armada. I will have to buy this one. 

Is the Ready Player One movie any good?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

The movie was good. I liked the book better (as is often the case). I watched it on an airplane. I think it stayed pretty faithful to the book. I just liked the book better. But, it's worth a watch if you are looking for something.

GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

The movie was good. I liked the book better (as is often the case). I watched it on an airplane. I think it stayed pretty faithful to the book. I just liked the book better. But, it's worth a watch if you are looking for something.

I can agree with this opinion....I thought the movie was ok/good and had I not read the book I probably would have thought the movie was better when I watched it 
    Part of the fun of the book was the way the nostaligoc sounds/images were recalled....where with the movie they just showed them to you.

They stayed pretty close, Cline worked closely with them on the movie 
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

I can agree with this opinion....I thought the movie was ok/good and had I not read the book I probably would have thought the movie was better when I watched it 
    Part of the fun of the book was the way the nostaligoc sounds/images were recalled....where with the movie they just showed them to you.

Right. Plus, it was Spielberg. So, that helped as well. I agree that had I not read the book first I would have liked the movie a bit better. I felt the same way about the Circle. The movie was great, but having read the book first made the movie a little less so. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

Right. Plus, it was Spielberg. So, that helped as well. I agree that had I not read the book first I would have liked the movie a bit better. I felt the same way about the Circle. The movie was great, but having read the book first made the movie a little less so. 
    The movie was pretty faithful. I actually saw the film first and just finished reading the book to my son last week. There weren’t any major plot departures, as far as I can recall. The biggest difference I noticed was that Spielberg just replaced Cline’s geeky obsessions (i.e., the ones attributed to Halliday) with his own darlings (e.g., Kubrick, etc.). 

(I kept waiting for The Shining part to happen in the book. :smile:  )
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Thanks, GlowGirl and dankind  , I think I'll try the book first.  :smile:

brianlux said:
    Matt Ruff's 88 Names is in the same vein but a little more adult.

https://youtu.be/7-k-oCxGjTM
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Just ordered , thanks
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

The movie was pretty faithful. I actually saw the film first and just finished reading the book to my son last week. There weren’t any major plot departures, as far as I can recall. The biggest difference I noticed was that Spielberg just replaced Cline’s geeky obsessions (i.e., the ones attributed to Halliday) with his own darlings (e.g., Kubrick, etc.). 

(I kept waiting for The Shining part to happen in the book. :smile:  )
    I liked Cline's geeky obsessions more.  ;)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I really enjoyed Ready Player One in book form. Not so much in movie form, but then again adaptations are always a disappointment to me. This was not Ender’s Game-level bad, but still not great. 

I started Ready Play Two a couple of weeks ago and was underwhelmed in the first couple of chapters. It comes across as Trying Too Hard. I switched to something else but will try to get back to it at some point. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks. I will order this. If you guys like these kinds of books you may also like The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. I loved that book and ended up reading several more of her books, which I also liked. 
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks. I will order this. If you guys like these kinds of books you may also like The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. I loved that book and ended up reading several more of her books, which I also liked. 
    I also enjoyed that book and have read more of her work, almost all of which has been well worth reading. 
    edited January 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I also enjoyed that book and have read more of her work, almost all of which has been well worth reading. 
    Thanks for the recommendation. Are these books that I could read to the kids, or are they more adult content?

If kid-friendly, it sounds like I can wait for the paperback on Ready Player Two, even though the boy wants to start it after we finish the book we're currently reading, The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

That's one of my next reads too, loved Player 1, I'll echo the movie comments, worth watching.

Another I'm really excited for is the graphic novel of Slaughterhouse 5 that just came out, love that book.

Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Are these books that I could read to the kids, or are they more adult content?

If kid-friendly, it sounds like I can wait for the paperback on Ready Player Two, even though the boy wants to start it after we finish the book we're currently reading, The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore.

Out of North books I have read, I enjoyed Touch the most, but would not say it is particularly child-friendly (though that depends on the child in question). Give it a read first and see if you like it. 
    a5pj said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    GlowGirl said:

That's one of my next reads too, loved Player 1, I'll echo the movie comments, worth watching.

Another I'm really excited for is the graphic novel of Slaughterhouse 5 that just came out, love that book.

About due to revisit some Vonnegut.  Got in a spot years ago where I read a shitload and now I've forgotten most of them so they will make me laugh out loud, once again.  So much great work.
    edited January 2021
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Out of North books I have read, I enjoyed Touch the most, but would not say it is particularly child-friendly (though that depends on the child in question). Give it a read first and see if you like it. 
    I don't know when I'll ever get to read something for my own enjoyment again. For better or worse, I've committed to Proust, and I've never put off reading more. Seriously, I'll reread something for work first.

Meanwhile, I continue to buy/be gifted books that I hope to enjoy at some point.

This is why I try to read books to the kids that I know I'll dig as well. Ready Player One was a good one, and The Stars Beneath Our Feet is shaping up to be even better. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM